Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Remington S9520 Salon Collection Ceramic Hair Straightener with Pearl Infused Wide Plates, 2-Inch, Black
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Drowners The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

VINE VOICEon November 22, 2010
Size: 2 Inch|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I am a beauty junkie. I am not ashamed to admit to having the new MAC line release dates on my calendar and a dresser full of beauty tools. I have gone through dozens of flat irons, from $15 irons to $200 irons. From 1/2" irons to super wide irons. There is a distinct difference between a cheap iron and a pricey one, so I got this, I expected the type of iron that I have always gotten from $40 irons.

I was pleasantly surprised with the Remington Pearl Ceramic Ultimate Straightener. The pearl sounds gimmicky to me, but whatever Remington did with this styler works.

For the record, I have very fine, very long, very damaged hair (from dyeing) that is naturally wavy. My usual problem with straighteners is that my hair tends to get tangled up and snags get flattened in the iron. I also have a very difficult time getting my hair to hold a straight style. I have very stubborn fly-aways.

First things first, the straightener comes in pretty gray and pink packaging and is a lovely black and pink color. The tool itself feels sturdy and well made. It doesn't have the cheap plastic feel that many low-end irons have. It has three pink buttons placed on the side of the handle. These three buttons manage the power, the temperature, a temperature lock feature and turbo. The ceramic plates "float" meaning that they adjust independently from the handles of the iron to the changes in the thickness and location of your hair running through the iron.

Pros:

- The hair moves smoothly and quickly through the iron, no snags or pulls. Hair is smooth and frizz free.
- My hair quickly straightened and held the shape.
- When using the straightener to curl my hair, my hair held shape and the straightener created the most lovely natural looking waves.
- The iron heats up quickly and allows for subtle variances in temperature.
- The buttons need a firm push and are well placed so that there is no accidental button pushing.
- A swivel cord allows for easy movement all around the head.

Cons:

- The digital display is only viewable from certain angles - viewed from some angles the display shows as on but can't be read.
- The handle behind the ceramic plates get HOT. It was difficult to twirl the iron for curls without touching the heat.
- The handle lock is a little stiff but it works well.

The Remington Pearl works every bit as good as my high end irons. It curls or straightens hair easily and smoothly and is easy to use with its clean, straight forward design. I get smooth, natural looking waves or pin-straight hair with very little work, even when my hair is at its driest. I can even manage to look like I have healthy, shiny hair using this! This will absolutely be my new go-to iron for curls and straightening alike. I just wish I had discovered it before I spent $200 on those other irons.
44 comments|414 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon December 31, 2010
Size: 2 Inch|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
First, it might help to know my hair type and what I was expecting from this flat-iron. My hair is all natural (kinky), thick, and falls just below my shoulders. When I flat-iron my hair, I don't aim for bone straight; I like to keep some of my hair's natural texture. For the most part this flat-iron does just that, however...

* The digital display is impossible to read from certain angles,

* The plates don't lay flush with one another when closed (see the uploaded image for a comparison with a Gold 'n Hot flat-iron) and if you want to get the plates flush, you'll end up with burned fingers...

* The handle, near the plates, gets quite hot--problematic for those who have large hands or who prefer to grip near the plates for better leverage and to get the plates flush with each other for more even straightening.

Even with those disadvantages, I do love that this is a high temp. (450°F) straightener which heats up quickly--within a minute or two--and *stays* hot, that it has longer plates which allow me to do larger sections of hair at a time, it does glide over my hair, and using it was more comfortable than expected.
review image
0Comment|116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Size: 1 Inch|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Received today as part of the Amazon Vine reviewing program, I wasn't expecting much from the Remington S9500 hair straightener. Probably because I've purchased other irons before for essentially the same price, and have been mightily disappointed in three things: the weight of the hair tool, the maximum temperature and the durability. Much to my surprise, the Remington is ten steps up from those lesser straighteners and perhaps even a tad better than the salon-recommended one I use on a daily basis that I paid almost one-hundred dollars for a little over a year ago.

The Weight:
This flat iron is very lightweight. No strain to lift above your head and very easy to move through your hair. The swivel connection at the base allows the cord to move freely without tangling. I do wish it was a tad longer, but adequate for most home users. The 1" plates are adequate for most hair-types and lengths, and do keep the weight of this one down too.

The Maximum Temperature:
The iron starts by the press of an On/Off button on the side of the tool. Immediately displayed after it's turned on is a blue digital readout on the top of the iron near the handle which says '380 degrees'. If you hold the + (heat up) button for 2 seconds, the iron immediately heats to the maximum temp of 450 degrees, which is then displayed on the digital screen. All in all, the iron takes no more than 15 seconds to heat up to its maximum temperature of 450.

When I used this iron, I first sprayed my hair with a heat protectant. (I use an Ivory brand product, but Chi and others make them too. I find the cheaper sprays work just as well for me in terms of leaving a nice shine on my hair while they protect it from high temps.) I moved the iron from the base of my scalp outward, smoothly and relatively quickly. The movement of my medium-thick hair across the pearl-infused ceramic plates was very smooth and the highest heat setting worked great on my hair. I'd recommend playing with the heat settings based on your hair type. Remington's recommendations can be found in the enclosed Use and Care Guide.

The Durability:
This is the one that only the test of time with daily use, can I truly speak to, thus I'll update this review after I've used it for awhile. It seems like a quality-built iron and I believe that if you care for it - wipe the plates weekly with a damp cloth to clean off any residues from hair products - you should get good use from it. It does come with an Automatic Shut-off feature (off in 1 hr), but if you're done with it, you may extend the life of the iron by simply unplugging it and using the hinge lock feature to store it.

This unit has 'worldwide voltage'. This means that with the right plug adapter, this iron can go traveling with you around the world and work with any electrical systems.

Overall, I was very pleased with this straightener which promised 'smoother, harder, longer lasting...salon results'. It gets hot, moves smoothly, is lightweight and comes with a 4-year limited manufacturers warranty. In its price range and even when put up against much more expensive brands, I think you'll find it's a fantastic choice for a salon-quality hair straightener.
review image review image
22 comments|59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2014
I ordered this product and it caught my attention that it was extremely hot even when the temperature was low... The thing is I got this for 2 days, and specifically the second day it MELTED from the inside, it almost burned my hands. So don't buy this DONT just DONT
on April 13, 2015
Ok this straightener probably works really well on finer hair, or hair that doesn't have the tendency to frizz. This straightener just made my hair frizzy and left ZERO shine. I've included a picture where the left is the result after using the Remington and the right is the Infinity Conair Model CS32BB after a few min of straightening. The Conair is 2 years old, much heavier and the ceramic coating is beginning to wear off but it STILL does a better job than the brand new Remington. I don't know what it is, but I'm returning the Remington and re-purchasing the Conair. I had high hopes but oh well.
on October 30, 2010
Size: 1 Inch|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was just given the opportunity to try this flat iron. I am of mixed race heritage.I am African American and Irish American.My hair is very frizzy,very dry,thick,coarse,and curly.My hair is in it's natural state and not chemically straightened. The length is to my lower back.

The iron comes in a nice package with a small instruction sheet.The cord is quite long and conveniently swivels.The iron is very light weight and easy to handle.The temperature control buttons and the power button are perfectly located.The temperature display is large and easy to read.The iron heats very quickly and beeps to let you know it has achieved the desired temperature.The plates are very smooth and a soft pink color.There is a sliding lock near the cord end of the barrel.I found it difficult to engage the lock.

I tried this on freshly washed and air dried hair. This iron is very light weight and I felt that I could not press the plates tight around my hair.The barrel also becomes very hot and I could not put my hand on it to "help" my hair through. It glides very easily through my hair.I had to go over the pieces a few times to get them straight. Since the iron is light weight you can work swiftly and with practice complete your whole head quickly.

Results wise it straightened my hair but I felt it left it dry and more crisp than I had wished.Also within 2 hours inside my house my hair started to revert (it felt puffier by the minute) I used no product so perhaps that may have made a difference.

Overall, I think if you have just wavy or slightly frizzy hair it will probably produce fantastic results.If you have coarse,dry,crisp or damaged hair I don't this is going to transform your hair to shiny, soft and swingy hair.Great product if your realistic about your hair type and your expectations.
66 comments|133 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 26, 2013
I don't know if I had really back luck and got a defective product or if this is just a terrible Hair Straightener... I was really excited when I order it, I was looking for a straightener that could make the work faster and easier, and I thought this one due to the high temperature it reaches and the pearl infused plates that were supposed to help to have a hair salon like finish was going to make it. Well it didn't happen... so far this has been the WORSE hair straightener I have ever tried... ended up with freeze hair, not straight and smelling like it burnt... plus you kind it gets really hot in the exterior I think more than what it should, I ended up looking to see if my fingerprints were still there...the reason why I didn't send it back is because I didn't use it until a couple of days ago and my window to return it just expired on the 22nd, but definitely I have to share this bad experience. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS HAIR STRAIGHTENER... not a good investment.
on April 2, 2013
I have been straightening my hair for years now. My hair is very long, very thick, and very wavy! This product is awesome, I'm telling you!
The wide plates are meant to use on longer, thicker hair. They get the job done faster.

I'm here to BASH those bad reviews and tell you why the problems people are having are their OWN fault.

-People are saying that they have to clamp the plates together really hard to get it to work. I had absolutely NO problem with the amount of force I use to clamp down. I hate to say it but it's not the product that doesn't work, it's the person using it! They could be putting too much hair between the clamps at one time. They are 2 inch clamps, therefore you should only be putting 2 inches of hair between them.

-Another thing people are complaining about is how this straightener dries out their hair...If this straightener is drying out your hair, use different shampoo and conditioner. It's not the straightener's fault; it's the person's hair products!

-The digital display is NOT that big of a deal! People are just finicky and say that it is hard to read. The digital display does not interfere with the results you get from the product.

-People are saying its too big and heavy and clunky. It's not! I used it just fine, my arm was not tired from using it. My guess is they are not use to the wider plates, which add a little more weight. I actually thought this straightener was lighter weight than my old Remington! Anyways, if you can't handle holding up a straightener for only 30 minutes, then you need to buy one with thinner plates, such as a 1 inch wide straightener.

To be honest, it is not the straightener that doesn't work...the person using it just isn't using it correctly!

The results I got from this straightener were awesome! I got my hair done within 30 minutes, compared to an hour I use to spend with other straighteners. It heats up very quickly and gets the job done quickly too!
I LOVE IT.

Just remember, to make it last longer, you need to take care of it like it's your baby! DON'T wrap the cord around the plates when you're done using it. This causes wear and tear on the cord because it is not meant to be wrapped so tightly.
Unplug it when you're done using it. Keeping it plugged in will also cause wear and tear because the electricity is still coursing through the cord even when it is shut off. It wastes energy. To clean it, use a damp cloth. Don't use a SOAKED one or else the water will ruin it. Just take a damp (almost dry) cloth and run it over the plates. To store it, I recommend putting it in a cloth pouch to prevent damage if it is accidentally hit. Also, make sure the cord is LOOSELY laid out next to the straightener. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT WRAPPING THE CORD AROUND THE PLATES.
I hope my review helped!
on November 19, 2015
Love this flat iron me being a Licensed hairstylist and wanting to provide the best for my client I am pleased with this flat iron!!! ADDS SHINE, leaves hair feeling like SILK! Only CON is that I wanted the pink one and they sent me a purple one....😞😞😞😣 MURR! But doesn't take away from the Laid-ness in the hair! I RECOMMEND THIS IRON FOR PEOPLE WITH LONGER HAIR IT GETS THE JOB DONE QUICKER WITH LESS PASSES THROUGH THE HAIR WHICH MEANS WHAT? LESS DAMAGE WHOOP WHOOP! #HealthyHairTip
review image review image review image
on July 8, 2012
Hi, I recently ordered the Remington S9500 and after using it only 3 times it started smelling weird, then turned off and will not turn back on.
I read great reviews about this product and am very disappointed that after only 3 times of using it, it's stopped working.

I am currently studying abroad and was in search for a hair straightener that would work with an international (out of U.S) voltage. I found this hair iron and was pleased to read "This straightener also features worldwide voltage, so there's no need to skimp on your style routine, whether you're at home or abroad."
However, upon delivery I saw that it is not international voltage, it's 120/60 and does not work abroad.
Thank you in advance for your help and customer support.