5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the one that came with the system
Not sure if it was just mine but the replacement cartridges that I bought last longer than the one that came with the system.
Published on February 15, 2012 by Tony B.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fails Prematurely But...
Published 17 months ago by Ulka X

3.0 out of 5 stars Fails Prematurely But..., February 3, 2013
Ulka X (Crofton, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Remington SP6000SB I-Light Pro, Professional IPL Hair Removal System, Replacement Cartridge (Health and Beauty)
Some people complaint about short lamp life, which I too have experienced. I don't think it's a good design as far as keeping the lamp cool and the heat eventually makes it fail prematurely. My advise is to slow down how fast you flash the unit so that the flash tube stays cooler and doesn't fracture from overheating and don't block the air vents of the hand piece. I'm keeping the flash intervals at greater than 4 seconds with rest periods of a minute if I feel any little amount of warmth of the air venting out of the hand unit. Using a longer flash interval of probably 6 - 8 seconds would probably be okay for continuous use. Never get impatient and start flashing it fast for little stint, that could be all you need to overheat the tube. Leave the unit on and fan running if you take breaks in your session. Every bit of cooling will help. From my experience I think you'll be able to extend the lamp's life but it will still fail prematurely due to lots of tiny heat cracks forming in the tube to a point where they leak. My current lamp I estimate is getting close to it's maximum flash count using a 4 to 6 second flash interval but it still has developed a fine tangle of tiny fractures all around the cathode but none big enough to fail.

In a nutshell the problem lies in the way the reflectors in front and behind the tube shroud it from the cooling air so it doesn't cool very fast because no real airflow is happening within the confines of the reflectors to cool the center section of the tube. It's a shame such a great product has this flaw, but at least it can be partially worked around. This unit really should have been designed with a much higher airflow to cool the lamp and maybe have incorporated some heatsinking.

Other Tips to Extend the Lamp Life

1, I keep cotton swabs and isopropyl alcohol on hand while using the unit, to clean the vaporized debris off of the lens whenever anything is seen on it.

2, Between uses pull the hand unit nose off and see if the back of the lens and reflective surfaces are clean and shiny. Also look at the lamp's reflector. It may develop a haze on it. To clean that off I remove the lamp. hold it over a sink and have a small spray bottle with isopropyl alcohol in it that I spray the reflector and tube with. Then I carefully shake the alcohol off and use a hair dryer to dry the lamp off.

Why the Lamp Fails (The technical version)

The Xenon flash tube inside of the lamp if overheated develops small fractures that allow the gas inside to seep out. The cracks occur right around the tip of the cathode electrode which is the larger of the two inside the tube and the one that will heat up greatly since that's where the arcing starts. The intense blast of the arc and heat build up eventual causes the nearby quartz tube glass to fail.

So other than the tube failing how does the unit know when the lamp has "expired" at 1,500 flashes? Well when I had the lamp apart I noticed a little "transistor" inside. I looked up the part number an it turns out to be a serially programmed EEPROM. Basically a tiny bit of memory that can store a number. The unit reads the number when turned on adds how many flashes you use and then loads the new number count back into that EEPROM. Apparently Remington deems the lamp's power level to be deteriorated enough at 1,500 flashes that it's out of spec as far as maintaining performance.

3.0 out of 5 stars Underwhelmed with the cartridges, April 23, 2012
The product does work, but the light cartridges don't last as they should - I went through the 2 that came with the system and both lasted fewer than 50 pulses, not the 1500 that is promised.

3.0 out of 5 stars Works Great, But Doesn't Last - Disappointed, May 1, 2012
Okay, I have gone through two cartridges since I have had my iLight. The first one came with the machine. I used it just over twice, and it gave out. Not too bad. I did underarms, bikini, and lower legs. I am 5'2" and my legs are not very large, so I couldn't have used that many pulses. I already had one on backup for just such an occurrence as I had heard that the cartridge that comes with the machine did not last as long as replacements. I got just under two treatments with the replacement cartridge. Please fix this Remington! The iLight is a great product. It took some of my hair longer to fall out than is typical, but it does work. I have noticeably less hair, and my legs have almost none. Maybe about 20 hairs each? Not bad. My underarms have not been so lucky, but I believe that this is because I epilated about a month before receiving my machine and this hair hadn't yet become active. I am debating on whether to try and do touch ups in that area or whether to epilate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the one that came with the system, February 15, 2012
Tony B. (Stamford, CT) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars inexpensive way to keep hair away, December 16, 2012
sheryl (newhampshire usa) - See all my reviews
the unit itself is pricey..but worth every penny!! the results are just as good as my drs. lazor..but 75% less pain!!i use it 2x a month on average...says not for face ..but if u use safety lenses aka/tanning booth its fine i use it on my face..i struggled for 20 years with polycystic ovarian which gives u facial hair like a man ..this is an amazing item..i have 85% less hair than before its not overnight...2 years of treatments

2.0 out of 5 stars C'mon Remington, get it together!, June 17, 2012
I've had three replacement bulbs now and none of them has given me the 1200-1500 pulses that it's supposed to, and even worse, every bulb has given me a different number of pulses. Where is the quality control here?! Clearly, the replacement cartridges are an issue as it's noted in many reviews, maybe it's time to fix the problem already!

UPDATE: OWNED THIS PRODUCT 2 YEARS NOW AND THE BOTTOMLINE IS, THE HAIR REMOVAL IS NOT PERMANENT, IT ONLY KEEPS THE HAIR AWAY WHEN YOU ARE ACTIVELY USING THE MACHINE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crotch front and back review, June 27, 2013
Pablo "P" (Ottawa Ontario) - See all my reviews
UPDATE: Thursday June 27, 2013 Eighth SESSION with 2nd bulb
Flashes used this session = 34 + 1388 from previous sessions. Total = 1422
Setting : 5

This covered EVERY area of my crotch both front and back... Although it is not meant for the pubic region, it can be done if this is your goal but be warned some areas are SUPER sensitive. I used level 5 the entire time and to be honest, some areas flashed were a bit painful but overall the treatments and pain are tolerable. As far as I'm concerned this cartridge performs as advertised.

Update January 18th 2014:

I am now starting to use this on my inner thighs as well as my crotch area as shaving in that area causes terrible ingrowns and scarring. I've also been tracking the cartridge's flash life and here it is so far:

Third bulb
First Session Thursday June 27, 2013 with 3rd bulb.
Flashes used this session = 130. Total = 130

Third bulb
Eighth Session Monday August 11th, 2013 with 3rd bulb.
Flashes used this session = 248 + 1000 from previous sessions. Total = 1248

Third bulb DEAD
Ninth Session Wednesday August 14th, 2013 with 3rd bulb.
Flashes used this session = 84 + 1248 from previous sessions. Total = 1332

Fourth bulb
First Session Wednesday Sept 4, 2013.
Flashes used this session = 204. Total = 204

Fourth bulb
Second Session Monday Sept 9, 2013.
Flashes used this session = 300 + 204 from previous sessions. Total = 504

Fourth bulb
Third Session Monday Sept 9, 2013.
Flashes used this session = 204 + 504 from previous sessions. Total = 708

Fourth bulb
Fourth Session Monday Oct 21, 2013.
Flashes used this session = 393 + 708 from previous sessions. Total = 1101

Fourth bulb
Fifth Session Tuesday Nov 5, 2013.
Flashes used this session = 137 + 1101 from previous sessions. Total = 1238

Fourth bulb DEAD
Sixth Session Monday Nov 11, 2013.
Flashes used this session = 37 + 1238 from previous sessions. Total = 1275

Fifth bulb
First Session Monday Nov 11, 2013.
Flashes used this session = 37
Total = 37

Fifth bulb
Second Session Saturday Nov 16, 2013.
Flashes used this session = 84 + 37 from previous sessions. Total = 121

Fifth bulb
Third Session Monday Nov 25, 2013.
Flashes used this session = 170 + 121 from previous sessions. Total = 291

Fifth bulb
Fourth Session Tuesday Dec 3, 2013.
Flashes used this session = 110 + 291 from previous sessions. Total = 401

Fifth bulb
Fifth Session Wed Dec 4, 2013.
Flashes used this session = 150 + 401 from previous sessions. Total = 551

Fifth bulb
Sixth Session Tuesday Dec 5, 2013.
Flashes used this session = 150 + 551 from previous sessions. Total = 701

Fifth bulb
Seventh Session Monday Jan 6, 2014.
Flashes used this session = 143 + 701 from previous sessions. Total = 844

Fifth bulb
Seventh Session Thursday Jan 9, 2014.
Flashes used this session = 110 + 844 from previous sessions. Total = 954

Fifth bulb
Eighth Session Wednesday Jan 15, 2014.
Flashes used this session = 145 + 954 from previous sessions. Total = 1099

Fifth bulb
Ninth Session Saturday Jan 18, 2014.
Flashes used this session = 150 + 1099 from previous sessions. Total = 1249

Fifth bulb DEAD
Tenth Session Monday Jan 20, 2014.
Flashes used this session = 199 + 1249 from previous sessions. Total = 1448

Sixth bulb
First Session Monday Nov 11, 2013.
Flashes used this session = 30
Total = 30

Sixth bulb
Second Session Thursday Jan 23rd, 2014.
Flashes used this session = 160 + 30 from previous sessions. Total = 190

Sixth bulb
Third Session Tuesday Jan 28th, 2014.
Flashes used this session = 53 + 190 from previous sessions. Total = 243

Sixth bulb
Fourth Session Wednesday Jan 29th, 2014.
Flashes used this session = 30 + 243 from previous sessions. Total = 273

Sixth bulb
Fifth Session Tuesday Feb 4th, 2014.
Flashes used this session = 131 + 273 from previous sessions. Total = 404

Sixth bulb
Sixth Session Sunday Feb 9th, 2014.
Flashes used this session = 160 + 404 from previous sessions. Total = 564

Sixth bulb
Seventh Session Wednesday Feb 12th, 2014.
Flashes used this session = 200 + 564 from previous sessions. Total = 764

Sixth bulb
Eighth Session Thursday Feb 13th, 2014.
Flashes used this session = 140 + 764 from previous sessions. Total = 904

Sixth bulb
Ninth Session Saturday Feb 15th, 2014.
Flashes used this session = 56 + 904 from previous sessions. Total = 960

Sixth bulb
Tenth Session Monday Feb 17th, 2014.
Flashes used this session = 32 + 960 from previous sessions. Total = 992

Sixth bulb
Eleventh Session Monday Feb 17th, 2014.
Flashes used this session = 148 + 992 from previous sessions. Total = 1140

Sixth bulb
Twelvth Session Wednesday Feb 26th, 2014.
Flashes used this session = 111 + 1140 from previous sessions. Total = 1251

Sixth bulb
Thirteenth Session Tuesday March 4th, 2014.
Flashes used this session = 72 + 1251 from previous sessions. Total = 1323

Sixth bulb
Fourteenth Session Friday March 7th, 2014.
Flashes used this session = 38 + 1323 from previous sessions. Total = 1361

Sixth bulb DEAD
Fifteenth Session Friday March 14, 2014.
Flashes used this session = 34 + 1361 from previous sessions. Total = 1395

Seventh bulb
First Session Saturday March 15, 2014.
Flashes used this session = 21
Total = 21

Seventh bulb
Second Session Wednesday March 19, 2014.
Flashes used this session = 170 + 21
Total = 191

Seventh bulb
Third Session Sunday April 6, 2014.
Flashes used this session = 60 + 191
Total = 251

Seventh bulb
Fourth Session Tuesday April 15 2014.
Flashes used this session = 209 + 251
Total = 460

Seventh bulb
Fifth Session Wednesday April 23 2014.
Flashes used this session = 110 + 460
Total = 570

Seventh bulb
Sixth Session Tuesday May 13 2014.
Flashes used this session = 170 + 570
Total = 740

Seventh bulb
Seventh Session Tuesday May 20 2014.
Flashes used this session = 70 + 740
Total = 810

Seventh bulb
Eighth Session Wednesday May 21 2014.
Flashes used this session = 140 + 810
Total = 950

Seventh bulb DEAD
Ninth Session Wednesday June 18 2014.
Flashes used this session = 5 + 950 from previous sessions. Total = 955

----------------------------------------------------------

2.0 out of 5 stars Short cartridge life - false claims about coverage, May 8, 2012
I just purchased this and have no idea about the efficacy of the product_ i.e., does it really work to stop hair growth? However, the statement that one cartridge will provide 2 to 3 full treatments is totally wrong. I used the first cartridge in one prolonged setting, where I was able to do both legs WITHOUT being able to start the bikini or top of legs; and (fore) arms. The second cartridge was usable for two half-legs (top of knees down) and arms before it stopped working. I didn't count the flashes - but this seemed shorter than the 1st. Thus - even though I ordered one extra cartridge, figuring - based on the manufacturer's claims - that this should be enough to try this for near a month, but it has lasted less than 2 weeks. To do 2 sessions a week - if you have a fair amount of hair and are trying to cover all - is going to require 2 cartridges a week - another $50/wk+ --- which is expensive.

2.0 out of 5 stars seriously?, April 7, 2012
how would I even know if this works, the cartridges have only lasted through one and half treatments. I am on my second one and no results. Don't waste your money.

1.0 out of 5 stars dont buy, September 3, 2012
ive been using the remington for 6 months once a week on my second replacement head this system doesnt work and is a waste of money i have light skin and dark hair i see no results

Rate and Discover Movies