on January 25, 2012
I really wanted this razor to work. I have used King of Shaves shaving gel for a long time now and loved it. Plus the blades are properly priced compared to really everyone else. But this is literally the worst razor I have ever used. On my first shave the blades got clogged with hair that would not come out after rinsing. A few times I have had to clean it out with a clothes pin because the hair got so stuck in there. Secondly, the shave is wildly uneven. While it is pretty good at convex surfaces like the corner of the mouth, it is terrible at concave areas like the neck. So long as I have used it, the only way to get an even neck shave is to shave against the grain or clean up with another razor. Lastly, their "Endurium" coated blades are extremely cheap themselves. With a name based in science fiction rather than science, I have already gone through the provided 3 heads after only 5 shaves. Granted I grow a little scruff between shaves, but never more than two days worth and my hair is not very thick at all.
I was a sucker and bought a refill of heads, never thinking that a razor could be this bad. I am going to try to shave more regularly with them, and hopefully they will fair better. If I find them more useful, I will return to revise my review, but until then, don't believe the hype. The reason this razor is so inexpensive is because it is cheap.
Size: 3 cartridgesVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This razor surprised me for a few reasons:

1) It's design. It is bent in the opposite direction of traditional razors.
2) It's close shave. It can get to spots I had trouble reaching before, like the corners of my mouth.
3) The price of replacement blades: Half the price of the competition.

It took me a couple mornings to get used to the new design. At first I pressed a little too hard. I always had a little trouble getting a close shave at the corners of my mouth. The King of Shaves' design solved that problem. You can give yourself a precision shave.

The shave is smooth and very close. I was impressed. But the most striking thing was the cost of replacement blades. I always wondered why these companies didn't just give away the main razor since they really stuck it to you when buying replacement blades. Luckily the Remington blades are about half the price.

On a related note, I wondered about the name "King of Shaves" because I didn't see "Remington" anywhere on the razor. I did a google and it seems the "King of Shaves" is a British brand-name and the two companies joined forces. A job well done!
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 13, 2012
This product is awful. I'm a fan of multi blade razors but this is the worst one on the market. The weight is wrong so you can't pull it across your face comfortably. Even if one could get accustomed to that it is impossible to clean so no mater how hard you try all you get is a razor clogged with stubble .... which means blades that won't cut. Run. Run far. Run fast.
on October 28, 2011
I've been shaving for over thirty years, and feel as though I've tried just about every possible razor out there. Some work well, others not so well, but most are average. I have a tough beard, and fast growing at that. Back in military basic training, I had to shave two to three times per day to pass inspections. I had pretty much stuck with the Mach 3 blades until the Fusion blades came out, and I find I get a better shave with the Fusion blades, albeit slightly better.

I purchased this razor on a gold box deal, and for the price, I felt it was worth a try. The blades are better than a disposable razor blade, but I don't feel they are up to the Fusion blades, as I've gone back and forth between the two, and find a better shave from the Fusion blades. The design takes a bit of a time to get used to. Pressing too hard is counterproductive with the design, but I find I have to hit most areas two or three times to get all of the hair. If you don't have a tough beard you may find these blades are more comparable. I debated on whether this was a three star or a four star rating, and went with the four star, as the pros outweighted the cons...

Pros:
- Great Price (Much cheaper than the competition)
- Good Shave (After learning how to use the razor)
- Quality in razor handle seems good
Cons:
- Learning curve in use (not sure it really is a better way to shave)
- Average blades (I feel they will need replacing more often than slightly higher priced blades)

For the price, I'd recommend this to anyone willing to try new razor blades and ideas. Although it might do well for some, I don't see this razor as the shape of razors in the future. I expect that Remington will improve on this idea in the near future, hopefully keeping the price level the same.
on October 13, 2012
Others are right who mention the design problems. The overly long handle/blades distance makes for a feeling that your hand is too far from the area you're shaving (like holding a pencil too far toward the eraser-side). It's unnerving to say the least. And, yes, the blades also get clogged too easily and are very hard to rinse clean. I ended up throwing away blades rather than struggling to rinse them out. I would never buy this item again, though I very much like the King of Shaves shaving oil product.
VINE VOICEon September 23, 2011
Size: 3 cartridgesVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The Azor 5 is striking in a world of me-too razors. The shape and ergonomics of the razor make it especially easy to shave along curves, including the neck and under the face.

The 5 blades work well but are still prone to get gel/gook stuck in them if you aren't rinsing every stroke or so. I didn't have any difficulties getting blades on/off as other users mentioned.

I used this unit in combination with the Remington branded King of Shaves gel and found the combination good enough to pull me away from years of electric shaver use. My face thanks me.
VINE VOICEon October 20, 2011
Size: 3 cartridgesVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Some men are born lucky: they have blond, thin, soft manes of hair on their face. The 5'clock shadow doesn't appear until the day after tomorrow.

Then there are men like myself: we live in a world of the 11 o'clock (A.M.) shadow, wear out expensive Mach 3 Turbo razors after only a couple shaves, and have to use the most skin-sensitive shave gels out there to deal with our thick, coarse facial hair.

For the better part of a decade now I've been committed to the Mach 3 Turbo. It's the ONLY razor out there that has been strong enough, sharp enough, and sensitive enough to give me a good, clean shave. But it came at a hefty price. The razors are now about $2 and up per blade, and sometimes those blades have quality control problems. It's happened more than once that a razor cuts my face into blood salad right out of the box.

Enter the King of Shaves. Honestly, I'd been jaded over the years by the rise of 'premium' shavers that charge ever more for blades and keep increase the number of blades (The "quattro" by Schick, etc.). The King of Shaves is not a normal shaver, as other reviewers have noted. It's a little finicky to shave with, replace the blade on, and so forth. But once you get to use it, it's quite refreshing. My neck, mouth corners, and moustache area are easier to cope with. The blades last longer than 2 shaves! Oh, and the replacement blades are cheaper than Mach IIIs.

You may not like it, but I sure as heck do. Strongly recommended for those cursed with a heavy, coarse beard.
on October 13, 2012
This Remington model features a flexing head that is tilted backward, rather than the more common forward tilt on most other razors. I don't find that it's uncomfortable to use. In fact, the angle makes it easier to shave certain parts of the face. The 5-blade heads definitely last longer than the Mach series, but 5x longer is an exaggerated claim. The most important thing you can do is rinse and dry your blades after every shave. Overall, this is a great deal on a good razor.

I find that my face gets used to a certain type of razor over time, causing more irritation and cuts. I like to switch between this razor and the Gillette Fusion Power every month or so, and it seems to work. The blades are slightly difficult to change, but the difficulty level has been overstated in other reviews. Overall, the lower cost of these blades definitely make it worth a try. Just don't expect a consistent straight razor feel from this, or any other mass market product.
Size: 3 cartridgesVine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
In the time-honored tradition of "more is more," Remington Azor 5 has five (5!)blades to hone your face to it's stubble-free, baby-bottom potential. We all know from ads that each blade not only has its own cutting action, but "lifts" your skin and whisker for an even closer cut by the next blade. The physics of this argument may be debatable, so let's stay with performance. First, though, a word about features:

Appearance. Surprisingly good. The look and almost the heft of metal in a $6-$11 product, with a grippy white inset on top (and the entire bottom) and sleek blue sides! While no one will mistake this for real metal, it's a much more grown-up look than the supersized multi-blades and the cheapie orange plastic ones, if that matters to you.

Feel in the hand. Very well-designed, with ergonomic contours for the hand-- especially the thumb--against which the razor rests. The white-colored material has a slightly sticky texture which helps hold it in your hand.
Price. Good to great, depending on whether the Azor is on sale. The blades are (really) cheaper than competitors for a similar product, and this will save you substantial money over time.

General Functionality. While there was a learning curve, you *can* attach the blade cartridge directly from its container to the razor; however, it's simpler (after some study of what fits where) to just press the blade on. The pivoting blades move smoothly from its slight upward tilt(or--if holding the razor upside-down for a "go against the grain" upward tilt)to a 135 degree angle. In my test (see below), I had no cuts or razor burn, and the blade rinses well.

Performance. The Ockham's razor of any evaluation. (Yes, I'm using that phrase incorrectly, as this has nothing to do with parsimony in one's assumptions, but somehow it just seems to fit). Here's my experimental set-up: I used a blade on about its fifth shave (to test durability), and the skin-Azor interface was hot water with regular soap. I used both downward and upward strokes for the closest shave obtainable.

Results. A very close, smooth shave--not perfect--but the best I've had from a razor with more than one blade. The bumper (a thin white strip that precedes the blades on an upward stroke) becomes slippery when wet and helps
those FIVE blades glide over your face. I needed both upward and downward strokes for the closest shave, and a few horizontal strokes beneath the jaw where the contour is curviest. Sometimes the pivot moved too much, but I discovered that I could position my thumb directly behind the blade to restrict its movement--thus almost replicating the simple but effective short power stroke of a single-bladed razor. With just a little practice, you can master this easy technique and obtain a much closer shave. Just as the pivot has its (resolvable) downside, so do the five blades: They quickly collect those shorn whispers, and without rinsing during your shave, you'll reduce the cutting efficacy.

Bottom line. As shown in my mini-experiment, there is no single perfect razor (both electric and single-blade have their advantages), but, on balance, this is the best shave for the money out there. With the adjustments I've suggested (or some of your own), you'll discover how to get the most out of this relatively attractive, inexpensive, and quite effective razor. Now we just wait for the launch of the 15-bladed razor.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 13, 2012
I ordered 3 packs of these when they were on sale at Woot. I have a rather thick beard and tend to have problems with razor burn on my neck. I have shaved 3-4 times with these, and although the blades do tend to clog as some reviewers have stated, I have seen far less razor burn (I typically use Gillette), while getting a really close shave. I wouldnt buy these at full price, but at the discounted price, I think they are more than worth it.

See 1 answered question