2,203 Reviews

Published on November 3, 2010 by S. R. Gallegos

2.0 out of 5 stars Maybe best for someone with thick, long hair
Published on December 14, 2010 by Mary Jo Sminkey

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy, fast, and gorgeous waves, November 3, 2010
This review is from: Remington CI95AC/2 Tstudio Salon Collection Pearl Digital Ceramic Curling Wand, 1/2 Inch - 1 Inch (Misc.)
It comes with a heat protectant glove (which if you're wary about using this kind of curling iron, it's a big plus over the gloveless, equally priced Conair version) but I've used many an iron and didn't feel the need to use it. The first time I used this, I did accidently burn my finger and the ends weren't curled perfectly, but after that first session I've been a pro. I love the variety of waves you can get with the barrel size, as well as how quickly I can do my hair! I've never been able to style it in 10 minutes before (the exact amount of time before I had to dash out the door or face being late to class, a gamble that paid off), and since you don't waste time carefully arranging it in the clamp, it's easy to grab a random section of hair and wind it around. My hair keeps its shine and has great springy curls that relax into natural looking waves as the day goes on.

I've used this iron on my friends, and one of them has very fine hair that hasn't ever held a curl well but with this iron, hers lasted through the next day even after she slept on it. I also loaned it out before a party and both girls came up to me with rave reviews. Two of them are considering purchasing this.

I would definitely recommend this wand to any of my friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars I just have to., October 9, 2012
I'm not usually one to write reviews on products, because I don't really rely on them myself. However, some people do, and it's for those people that I write this.

Do NOT let the (majority of the) 1-star reviews color your decision to purchase this wand! I can't tell you how annoyed I got reading them - this product in no way deserves to be rated negatively, because most of the people who gave it one star simply didn't bother to learn how to use it before giving up and coming here to whine about it. People, it's NOT difficult. There are dozens of tutorial videos on YouTube for this wand and others like it. All you need to do is watch a few of them, practice on a rainy day when you're not going anywhere, and you should have no trouble.

Look, I've got fine hair. When I first purchased this wand, it was cut to my chin and stacked in the back. And I had no trouble using it. You need to do it in layers, starting with the bottom. When you pick up the section of hair you want to curl, spray it with a little hairspray first. Wrap it around the barrel (pointing down, because I noticed someone said they didn't know which way to point the thing) as close to the end of your hair as you can. Keep just the very tip of the section between your fingers. Do NOT press the hair to the wand with your fingers. The instructions say that, but it seems many people didn't read that part. The wand gets hot. The glove was not made to be pressed directly against the wand - only to protect your skin when you brush it against the wand while winding your hair, which you inevitably will.

If you're like me, when you get halfway around your head you'll have to switch hands. Do it. The change in direction of the curl will give you a more natural look. Just keep working in layers, sectioning your hair, spraying the sections, and overall BEING PATIENT.

Maybe I'm lucky in that I worked in a salon for 4 years where one of the girls consistently used her curling iron not with the clamp, but wrapped hair around the barrel, so I had an idea of how this was supposed to work. I didn't order an obviously clampless curling iron and then complain because there was no clamp. Reading product descriptions does wonders, people. As does learning to use a tool properly before writing a negative review because you couldn't be bothered to learn to use the tool properly. This wand is not designed to give you gigantic Texas beauty-pageant hair. It's designed to create soft, natural waves. If natural-looking hair isn't what you want, then pass on this. I get so sick of people who whine and moan about a product simply because they were too flipping lazy to figure out how they were supposed to use it. Would you go on a car-buying website and give a Toyota a negative review if you didn't know how to drive? Sadly, after reading these reviews, I think some people would.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good For Quick Curls - Recommended, November 27, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My teen daughter was thrilled when this Remington Curling Wand came in and used it almost right away. She has very straight, medium thickness hair that takes curls fairly easily using regular curlers and this curling wand worked very well for her. Here are our observations:

Pros -
+ Gets Hot Quickly; it comes up to temperature fast and is indicated on the digital display
+ Smooth Wand; the coating on the wand is VERY slick, making the curling process very easy
+ Tapered Wand; allows more natural looking curls

Cons -
- Tricky to Use; there was a bit of a learning curve since this is fairly different than her old clamp type iron and rollers
- Easy to Get Burnt; this gets very hot and the body of the wand is completely exposed, so I highly recommended using the included protective glove

Misc -
* We found that using this on someone else's hair is easier (and safer) than doing your own

This wand does produce good results very quickly, but it might not be for everyone (especially younger kids) due to the risk of burns.

Recommended, with the caveats above.

CFH

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality for great price, June 21, 2012
I have had this curling wand for 2 weeks now. I have a lot of experience with curling wands, so I thought I would weigh in, since most of the reviews on this product are from people who don't seem to have much knowledge about how to use them or what to expect.

First off, this is a good quality curling wand. So far, I haven't noticed any "cheap" traits about it. It is not too expensive and is a great deal.

Now a bit about wands in general for those who are new to them. Curling wands are not for inexperienced users! They are not "super easy" to use. That is why there are still curling irons with clamps still out there, for those who need the clamps. I have had 4 different brands/types of curling wands. All of mine came with gloves, which I never use because you need to be able to have a good hold on your hair to get the look you want. So if you learn how to hold and maneuver a curling wand, you do not need the glove.

Second, these wands do give you a more natural and professional curl/wave, and can do so quickly, but it does take practice to achieve the goal. There are numerous types of curls, spirals and waves you can make with a wand and each one calls for a different technique.

Third.....DO NOT get a curling wand that is multiple size barrel (like this one) IF you do not have experience with one. Start with a wand that is a one size barrel to learn and then gravitate to these. These multiple size barrels are great, they can change up the curls and waves nicely and make a more natural look, but because the barrel gets smaller on the way down, it does mean if you don't know how to use it, it can be frustrating and difficult to keep your hair even on it, without slipping....like I said practice makes perfect.

Now for this particular wand, it is infused with real pearl...this is great, yes it makes the wand slippery! Now use logic and realize that the more slip and smoothness of the wand, the better for your hair. If you hair does not slip from a wand then you should be worried because that means your hair is sticking to the wand with the heat, by burning it.

So if you buy this particular wand, understand that it is more slippery, I noticed that this wand does make my hair shine more and look more smooth and soft.

I have extremely thick hair and a lot of it. My hair is naturally curly, but it is messy curly so I use wands to touch up my curls and make them nicer, similar to what Taylor Swift does. Now, even though my hair is natural curly, does not mean it is easy to curl with an iron. Since I have very long and thick hair, plus the large amount....it is very heavy and tends to weigh down, so curls tend to flatten easily. I have used this wand several times in the last two weeks....I did my hair early in the morning and went to an 8 hour shift of work. At the end of the day, my curls were still there and not frizzy.

All in all, this wand is a great deal and perfect for someone looking for decent quality at a low price. Like I said, this particular style of wand needs some experience and/or practice.

The bigger sized barrel of this wand is better for big loose spirals or beach waves hair styles. The smaller one would be better for tighter more Shirley Temple curls.

If you are a beginner to curling wands, don't be discouraged, they are fantastic, but start with a one size barrel to learn.

I will update my review in about 6-8 months to review the long term quality of this product. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Does pearl make this magical? It's AWESOME!, March 29, 2011
I had only moderate hopes when I bought this, and WOW am I impressed! The curls it creates are amazing, and they hold like curls never have before! I have fine, straight, long hair. Normally, my curls will fall flat within a few hours, even WITH hairspray or other products. These curls held ALL day, with NO products, on the first try! I'm honestly a bit baffled, because I never thought that was a possibility for my hair. I don't know what it is about this iron/wand that does the trick, but I'm ecstatic!

I bought this iron because my husband bought the Remington Pearl rollers for me a while back. That was one of the first appliances to really curl my hair, and I've tried everything. Based on that and the price of the wand (cheaper than the rollers) I had to give this a try, despite all the burn warnings I've seen in reviews. I'm not a professional by any means, (and I'm rather clumsy) but I've used this wand several times without incident. I AM, however, accustomed to wrapping my hair around the barrel of regular irons, so I didn't have any difficulty getting used to that. I have yet to burn myself, because the wand never touches my skin. I can see how if it did, however, it would result in some nasty burns, especially on higher heat settings. Be careful, ladies! I also have yet to wear the glove that comes with this. I tried the lowest heat setting the first time I used it, and it worked perfectly, so I don't feel the need to turn it up. I think too often people decide to crank the heat settings as high as they will go, without testing first. This wand will reach 410 degrees, and I don't think that's necessary for most hair types. Start at the lowest settings, and work your way up. If you've never wrapped your hair this way, DEFINITELY wear the glove, especially if you use higher settings. So far, I don't need the glove, and doubt that I ever will. If you're having problems maneuvering the wand or burning yourself, try practicing with it off. Might help.

The wand is super lightweight, easy to maneuver, and works better than any curling iron I've ever owned. It heats quickly, works quickly, the buttons are well placed/made (I don't accidentally turn the iron off) and you can "lock-in" the heat setting so you can't accidentally change them while curling. Also, my hair doesn't have that strange burned smell it always has with other irons, including ceramic ones. I just can't say enough good things about this wand. I'm so thrilled with it! The only complaint I could voice about this is the lack of a protective heat-resistant sleeve to put it in after use. All things considered, though, I can't really complain much about that! HIGHLY recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars You need to know what you are getting into, December 13, 2010
A Kid's Review
I read several reviews for this curling wand and went ahead and ordered because the price was right. I had no burning problems and I didn't use the heat glove. I have gotten used to using a regular curling iron the way you have to use this one, wrapping the hair around the outside of the barrel instead of clipping it in the barrel. I have to say I LOVE THIS CURLING IRON! There are no ridges in my hair, no fighting with the clip getting in the way, just awesome. I will warn this, where your fingers rest normally on the handle just happen to be on the heat adjustment buttons. So becareful that you don't constantly turn the heat up or down while you are curling. It took about 15 mins for my whole head, I used no product, and my big springy curls lasted for 2 days. Which is a welcome change since my curls usually only last for about an hour. All and all SUPER pleased with this purchase!

4.0 out of 5 stars It works great for the right person, December 6, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have a ceramic flat iron, and I love it. So, I thought this would be a cool idea and give me curls more easily than a regular curling iron (which I had finally given up on and thrown away). I ran into the same problem as another reviewer - my hair is very thin and doesn't want to stay on the wand. Since it's more difficult to keep on the wand, it easier to burn yourself trying to do so. The glove is not just recommended, it is a necessity. That said, the iron does get very hot and I did get some pretty curls.

In the end, I decided to give this to my twenty-year old niece. She has thick, heavy hair, and IT WORKS GREAT for her. She's already accustomed to spending time on her hair, and is practiced with other styling tools (including a flat iron) so this was perfect. I would be extremely hesitant to let a young teen use this, or try using it on a child. Fidgeting is dangerous with an open heating element such as this. I'm an adult, and was very careful using it, and still managed to singe myself.

The price is very reasonable, especially compared to flat irons. Overall, I highly recommend this for older teens and adults with medium or thick hair. Those with thin hair should be prepared to be patient and work for the curls. I don't have that kind of patience.

2.0 out of 5 stars Maybe best for someone with thick, long hair, December 14, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I love to add some spiral curls to my hair and often fumble a bit with my regular curling iron and I thought using one without the clamp would make things much easier. Wrong! I just couldn't get a good result with this, and I think it has a lot to do with only having shoulder length hair, and very fine, hard to curl hair at that. This wand does get VERY hot (although I didn't care for the ON switch much) but even using the glove and trying to hold the hair tight to it, I just couldn't get it to curl as well as a normal wand gives me. A fair amount at the end just stayed straight, much more than I usually get. I burned myself a couple times pretty good trying to deal with the wand, even using the glove, so given my poor results, this one is going back in the drawer. I expect that someone else may have better results, particularly if their hair is longer and/or easier to curl. But for me, big failure.

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECTION, April 25, 2012
I cannot oversell this product enough. Where do I start- my hair is thin, fine, and before I got this it had never held a curl for more than 1 minute- literally.
I had almost given up on beautiful, natural looking waves until my friend told me about how amazing her wand is. I got the bigger size, which is better for waves than the smaller version. As soon as I got it in the mail, I started messing around with my hair. Now, I am no hair styling expert, in fact I am very far from it, but my hair looked PERFECT the first time I used it. Beachy waves that stay literally all day. And I don't even use any product- just wash, dry, and curl.
I'm completely amazed that something has actually worked on my hair to curl it, just when I almost gave up completely...

5.0 out of 5 stars I really love the 1-1 1/2 wand.., June 9, 2013
I initially bought the 1/2-1" wand because it seemed the most popular and reviews and vids said that you can make the curls as loose or tight as you want.

The skinnier wand gives you undoubtedly gorgeous think Taylor Swift like curls. It wasn't really the look I was going for so I returned it for the 1-1 1/2 and i absolutely love it for loose beachy curls. Both sizes work great, it really comes down to the look you're looking for.

It heats up really fast and the various temperature settings convenient, along with the digital display. It has a swivel bottom for the cord. I'm not sure if the "Pearl" helps your hair, but the curls are perfect (plus its pink!!)

It comes with a glove that definitely helps you curls every bit of hair and not burn your finger tips. But it's not meant to touch the wand directly. I definitely recommend it!!!!

Rate and Discover Movies