5.0 out of 5 stars The Remington WDF-5500 is a great product!
This Remington WDF-5500 is a wonderful product. It glides over smoothely over the legs and gives a very close shave. I didn't cut myself or itch like crazy afterwards. And you can use it in the shower as well (yeaaaaa!!!). The noise level was fine- it was not high, unlike the others ones I have used. I saw no problems with the battery. I had charged it all night and...
Published on October 24, 2003 by precious9491

3.0 out of 5 stars Not satisfied!
This was not my first Remmington shaver, but after going through 3 Smooth and Silky Plus Shavers and a Smooth and Silky Ultra (none of which lasted longer than 6-7 months with normal everyday use), it will most likely be my last. While I liked the shaver and it didn't cause skin irritation like regular razors, I find it VERY irritating that I have to plunk down anywhere...
Published on August 5, 2004 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Great electric razor, July 26, 2007
This review is from: Remington WDF-5500 Smooth & Silky Ultra Plus Shaver, Rechargeable (Health and Beauty)
I owned my previous Remington Razor for 30 years and finally decided it was time to upgrade to a newer model. Not because it wasn't still working - because it was! But, really only because I wanted a cordless model. The obvious choice was Remington since my last Remington worked so well for such a long period of time. I love this new razor even more than the last and recoommend it highly. It gives a great dry shave (I haven't tried it wet) and handles really well. The only downside I have experienced is that it won't hold a charge for more than 2 days without being put back in the recharge base. I took it on a weekend trip without the charger and by the time I got home it needed recharging (and I only used it once while I was away). Other than that, this is a great razor.

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't cut hair well, unreliable design, August 10, 2007
This razor doesn't cut my hair well at all--even under what the directions list as ideal condition. It's completely hopeless on knees, etc.

After two months of use, the rubber part at the base of the razor head began to shred itself. I looked into the provisions of the warranty. Note that while the razor does come with a two-year warranty, you need to 1. save your receipt, and 2. drive the razor to the nearest certified dealer. For me, the nearest dealer was an hour away--and I'm certainly not in the middle of nowhere.

The battery life seems to be fairly good; I awarded an extra star for that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Close and comfortable shave!, March 15, 2007
Holly A. (Massachusetts, USA) - See all my reviews
My old remington died on me after 4 years of loyal service. Instead of replacing the battery, I decided to replace the whole razor in order to upgrade my model. This model gives such a closer and comfortable shave! In fact, I get almost as close a shave with this electric razor than I do with a manual triple blade. I highly recommend it when you need to touch-up your legs or can't get into the shower to use a blade. Love it!! The only reason I'm not giving it 5 stars is due to the fairly loud noise the motor makes. But that seems to be inherent in most electric razors.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good, August 23, 2007
I chose this razor because of all the reviews. I found it no better or worse than the one I had before. You must be very careful if you plan to use on the underarms, even wet with shaving cream. I like the travel pouch it came with, and it's easy to clean. Overall I think a good value.

1.0 out of 5 stars Why I returned it, January 15, 2013
While the razor did shave well, it was an old model, not made for over 7 years, and wouldn't hold a charge. I have returned it and now am waiting for a full refund. I have since bought a different shaver from Panasonic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Shaver on the Market!, September 20, 2008
Picklewacket (Ft.Lauderdale, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I have used numerous shavers for over 20 years and have found this one to be the closest shave of any electric shaver on the market. Easy to open and close for cleaning.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, August 30, 2005
I had the 3500 before this and I loved it! But it got all smashed up due to a poor packing job on my part. So far the 5500 isn't giving as close a shave as the 3500 and the shave isn't lasting as long. I mean you can't see the hair or anything but you can definitely feel the stubble reappearing after a few hours and you have to spend a longer time going over the same areas. Having said that I've only been using it for about a month and I haven't been using it everyday (You're supposed to use it every day for 3 weeks for it to work it's best). Also I only do a dry shave. I'm hoping that, after more use, it will be as good as the 3500.

Other than that, it's great. It's so convenient and easy to clean. I would NEVER go back to shaving with a razor, EVER!!! It's definitely cheaper than razors as well. A good buy.

2.0 out of 5 stars WDF-5500, May 22, 2009
The razor itself works great. But beware, when you try to order replacement screens and cutters, they don't make them anymore. Or if they do it is impossible to order. I tried to order the replacement part twice. The first time I ordered model #SP-360, but found out it didn't fit the 5500 model. Sent it back but did not get refunded for the original shipping charge. I then ordered #SP-132 replacement part and they sent the #SP-360 saying that replaces the SP-132. Again I will not get reimbursed for the shipping charge. I guess the WDF-5500 model is just too old a model to get replacement parts for. BUYER BEWARE!

3.0 out of 5 stars Remington Smooth & Silky Model WDF 5500, January 12, 2008
Sam (Calif. USA) - See all my reviews
My wife liked the results after using the Remington shaver for the first time but found that it was very difficult to open and close the shaving head. She had to get me to open it and especially close it which I did after several tries. In order to close the shaving head one has to push down and sideways at the same time. I'm not sure if this is a manufacturing flaw or if this is the way all of these Remington shaver models WDF 5500 work. The shaver is also noisy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a good choice, January 1, 2008
R. Jones (Gaithersburg, MD USA) - See all my reviews
Despite its price, this was not a good replacement shaver for an older, noisy electric shaver. While it performs well when shaving legs, BEWARE as it is very rough on underarms (as the enclosed product brochure warns.) It will still be necessary to use two shavers. Additionally, the shaver head foil broke after less than a year. Back to using the old shaver.