Remo Kids Percussion Lollipop Drum
Size Name: 10-inchChange
Price:$15.51

on September 22, 2004
Size Name: 10-inch
The first thing you need to know about this drum is that it is nigh invulnerable. You could practically drive a truck over the body. I've used mine for a camp stool on many occasions. The synthetic head isn't completely invulnerable; from having it rattle around loose in the trunk of my car, it picked up a couple of nicks, but nothing that's had any effect on it.

The second thing you need to know about this drum is that it makes a great outdoor drum. The synthetic head and fiberglass body are completely unaffected by humidity, and almost completely unaffected by temperature at any range that I've ever been willing to drum outside in. I've known people who've played them in pouring rain. Not only did it not hurt the drum, it stayed in tune. (But more on that later.)

Furthermore, it's very affordable, and the combination of affordable and durable makes for a reasonably good first drum.

Now, the down sides. The glued synthetic head will never go out of tune. On the other hand, you can't tune it if you want to, not without replacing the whole head. The synthetic body that makes it so cheap and indestructible is also very hard and not all porous, so it has a somewhat sharp sound. If a ceramic djembe or a metal djembe doesn't disappoint you, then this won't either, but it's at best a distant cousin of the rich tones you get out of a good wooden djembe. And the relatively small synthetic head gives a somewhat limited range of notes; a larger, hand tuned natural head will give you a wider variety of pitch to play with.

All of that being said, I love mine to pieces. I recently got rid of a bunch of drums, because I wasn't going to as many drum circles as I used to. This is the one I kept.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 20, 2012
Size Name: 8-inchVerified Purchase
I bought 2 of these as part of a percussion kit I gave to my daughter's preschool. The drum has a very nice, high sound and the kids do really like it. I'm giving only 3 stars because (and I might just be the fool here) based on the picture I expected this to be more than just a piece of plastic stretched over a rim with an open back. To me, this drum looked like it would have some sort of texture, as though it would be a drum surface made of a wrapped material, like the lollipop it based on. There is certainly nothing wrong with the drum, it was just a disappointment to see how plain it is in person.
on November 22, 2010
Size Name: 10-inchVerified Purchase
My daughter wants a full drum set for Christmas. Having become obsessed with the band Recess Monkey and being especially fond of the adorable drummer, Daron, I can imagine what she's picturing.

Christmas morning Santa's laid out this huge drum set and by the power of enthusiasm and sheer will, she'll sit down and begin playing - Voila! - just like someone who's been playing for a couple of decades. While I applaud her sweet four-year-old determination, we've learned the hard way that it is often short-lived when it collides with reality.

This little drum seems a perfect compromise. The drumhead is a thin sheet of seemingly durable plastic(?) material with a fantastic 3-d lollipop design, which is stretched atop a plastic circle frame measuring between 6"-10" depending on which drum you choose. The larger the drum, the deeper the sound (see comments for a link to a page with audio for each size drum). The mallet is a plastic stick with a foam/rubber rainbow-colored head.

When we decided to place an order, we had a hard time choosing just one of these, and since we have two girls we opted to buy both the 6" and the 10". They are quite different in size and in tone, but sound really neat played together, which I love. Both the small and large drum have a deep, earthy, pleasing sound. Although I read this was the case, it was hard to imagine that such a little whimsically-designed drum could produce such a nice tone.

I think that although this isn't a real drum set, in the long run I think being able to produce pleasing sounds from a small and inexpensive instrument will have more tangible value, and will inspire confidence and - perhaps - if her interest is sincere, an introduction to learning to play the drums in the future.

This is a perfect drum for any child with a budding interest. And by far, it's greatest attribute? It's easy on the ears - just in case they really take to it - the kids won't be chasing all the adults out of the house with it Christmas morning.

Highly recommended.

Note: For anyone concerned with country of origin & toy safety, these drums are made in China - but seem to have no areas where chipping paint could become an issue.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 20, 2004
Inexpensive, durable and fun. If you are looking for a drum for your 3 year to learn the power of rhythm. Look no further than the Lolli
on November 22, 2010
Size Name: 6-inch

Highly recommended.

22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 20, 2011
Size Name: 6-inch
I'm an early-childhood music teacher and I've been using this drum (the same one!) for over ten years. So I can definitely vouch for its durability - my students have banged, boomed, and beaten on it with enthusiasm for a long time. Every once in a while some child will bang it on the floor so hard I think "this is it," but it stands up to preschoolers every time! It also has a very pleasant sound, resonant but not too loud. Very good product.
Size Name: 8-inchVerified Purchase
You can look through my other reviews and there is a Lynn Kleiner Remo drum as well. I really liked that one but in the long run the kids didn't really take to it because it required too much fine motor skill to make it sound decent. This drum, with it's fixed handle rather than flexible handle, can be made to sound good even when they are only one or two. They can prop it against a leg and have it be decent, or the 2 1/2 year old can actually hold it and pound it which is ideal. I also ordered the smaller size as this is closer to the size of a dinner plate and a bit too heavy for the not quite one year old.

Beautiful sound, compelling graphic for children, easy to use, not hard on the parents ears.

And I forgot to mention the durability - makes a great sound against the brother's head without breaking. Makes a great sound when hit with the remote, a shoe, a maraca, a dump truck, and a ball as well. All without sustaining any damage.
on June 1, 2011
Size Name: 10-inchVerified Purchase
I bought this for my one-year-old's birthday and she loves it. Of course the drum-stick sometimes ends up as a beating stick towards her older sister but all in all its a great toy. Its got a nice low and loud sound and I think both kids enjoy playing with it. Nice bright colors and well constructed.
on May 12, 2008
I bought this drum for my 18 month-old daughter because it is the same drum we use in our mommy and me class. She loves to march around our family room banging on the drum while listening to her music. The drum is sturdy with a good sound. I highly recommend it.
on February 24, 2011
Size Name: 6-inchVerified Purchase
I am a substitute elementary school teacher and sometimes get assignments teaching music. I like having a variety of music-themed games and activities available to play with the students when the opportunity arises. I bought this drum specifically for that purpose.

The colors are bold and appealing. The foam mallet even looks a little like a lollipop (obviously, for this reason, young children should be supervised when using it).

The drum's construction is sturdy; I am hopeful it will hold up to many years of use. The handle, I believe, is plastic (it is covered with a sticker/label so I'm not certain), and is cushioned on each end with a plastic cap. The handle is screwed onto a black frame (I think it is either wood or a thick cardboard-like material), and red grosgrain ribbon is glued to the outside of the frame. The skin is shiny and appears to be plastic.

The tone is bright and pleasant. For its size, the drum is capable of decent volume, something I need since music rooms are sometimes larger than regular classrooms.

I tried using it as a hand drum to make a different tone. It did not work nearly as well as the mallet, though my knuckles produced a better sound than my palm. I don't know if it is because of the drum-to-hand-size ratio, or if it is not constructed for that purpose. I ended up ordering the 8-inch drum as well, so I can compare the two when it arrives.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations