5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and Inspiring!
As a designer, I am always on the prowl for new books with great ideas. I picked up Remdelista and was very pleased.

Along with the editors of the website Remodelista, Julie Carlson has written a terrific design book for people with real budgets! Their mission is to"demystify home design" and I think they did a great job of it.

The book covers major...
Published 13 months ago by Eco-Friendly Feng Shui Designer

3.0 out of 5 stars meh...remodelista
rustic charm and design advice for the uber frugal. some of which, in my professional opinion, is a bit harsh. a blog in a book.
Published 2 months ago by Amy Leigh Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars Practical and Inspiring!, October 28, 2013
This review is from: Remodelista (Hardcover)

The book covers major to minor design changes and it aims to help the reader discover their personal style. They encourage creativity, but do have some very sensible rules:

Choose classic and livable objects over trendy ones
Mix inexpensive with antiques
Clutter is bad!
Good design from sustainable materials not cheap throwaway pieces
All things--even the mundane--should be aesthetically pleasing
Don't be afraid to use color in a neutral room with details
Forma and function--forget a beautiful but uncomfortable sofa, for example. Everything should look and feel good and be useful.
Add texture for interest

They showcase 12 houses; 2 built from scratch and the rest remodels. Each house is unique and a different style--like Zen industrial, black and white and Shaker.

I love the modern and clean look. Many great ideas, lots of easy DIY.

Great resources section.

Highly recommend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Clean design, gorgeously presented, October 30, 2013
This review is from: Remodelista (Hardcover)
Remodelista is a darn good book.

My wife and I are 12 years into a 30-year home remodel. We're both design hogs, and we butt heads all the time over the house, but we both love this book.

Julie Carlson's plants her aesthetic flag squarely in the neighborhood of Ernest Hemingway, Scott Alexander, Rem Koolhaas, and kin: use simple, well-made things, present them openly, not too many. Her values are stated clear-as-day on pages one and two. Read those on-line. If you don't share them, skip the book.

If you do share those values, the book offers a rich trove of ideas, diving deep into twelve beautiful, not fancy, homes of like-minded people with surprisingly different, thought-provoking perspectives on well-made space. Each page pops a single design idea from a cool home with links to practical resources to execute it. Some are expensive, some are not. It's just plain fun to thumb through.

Physically the book is simple, weighty, and elegant, reinforcing Ms. Carlson's point. When we have company we put it on the coffee table. Otherwise it migrates from desk to nightstand to ahem, bathroom.

If you're working on a remodel and value clean design, Remodelista is a must-read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I inhaled this book for hours; now I'm buying 6 copies for holiday presents, October 24, 2013
This review is from: Remodelista (Hardcover)
Design cognoscenti know Remodelista.com as the go-to inspirational site for clean, elegant, livable modern design. This book indulges the reader with the same aesthetic in gorgeous big color photos. Even if you have a shelf full of architecture and interior design books, the Remodelista look is different, so this will be a favorite addition.

What sets this book apart even more, though, is the thoughtful, interesting, and detailed guidance it gives about how to go from inspiration to action, and achieve the Remodelista look in your own home. It's full of wonderful ideas on how to approach each room in your house, and how to mix high and low to create a beautiful and unique space.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Source Book, October 30, 2013
This review is from: Remodelista (Hardcover)
Having always been an avid follower of the website, it was always likely that I would love this book. What I did not expect was the level of appreciation I felt when reading their work. Websites are transient and a fleeting thrill, while the book provides a real moment to pause and to spend time with the photos and stories. This photos are exceptional and worth the purchase alone.

5.0 out of 5 stars So much more than a 'remodel' book..., November 3, 2013
This review is from: Remodelista (Hardcover)
It is, hands down, the best design book I've purchased in a long, long time. It is on the same level as the Design*Sponge book. If you care at all about interior design, have a home renovation project and most certainly if you are a fan of the website by the same name, you need to own this book. This is quite a book, at nearly 400 pages. Do yourself a favor and read the review by Eco-Friendly Feng Shui Designer on October 28, 2013 titled 'Practical and Inspiring'. I couldn't have said it any better myself, and I couldn't agree more with that reviewer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Remodelista A must have for the budding decorator., November 19, 2013
This review is from: Remodelista (Hardcover)
Great photography, easy to read, well laid out and full of great tips and cost effective home décor ideas. Would make a good gift for a new homeowner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Place for Inspiration and Ideas, October 22, 2013
This review is from: Remodelista (Hardcover)
Ms. Carlson's book is a must-have for anyone who gives any thought to home design. The book is sensible, inspiring, not to mention gorgeous. I keep going back to it and seeing things I missed before. Just terrific.

4.0 out of 5 stars A book for someone else..., April 8, 2014
Galina D. (Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Remodelista (Hardcover)
I was waiting for this book in my library for a quite long time; it has great reviews and I was expecting to get some nice and practical ideas to inspire me enough to start renovating my charming, but very outdated house.

Guess what? According to this book, my house doesn't need any renovations: it fits perfectly in line with other "vintage" buildings that are represented in Remodelista. It is nice to know! :)

The book layout, format and pictures are really great. If I ever will decide to write a book on remodeling, I will steall the design, fonts and color scheme. That's why I give it four stars. It is a perfectly designed book about not so great home design ideas.

Or at least it is not a book for everyone. I didn't find anything I like. So sorry....

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful book with great ideas!, December 24, 2013
This review is from: Remodelista (Hardcover)
This is a great book for anyone interested in design and lifestyle ideas, or involved in planning a remodling project.
The designs are beautiful and typically simple with clean lines and an uncluttered esthetic. Salvaged and 'found" items are often
put to inventive, recycled purposes showing that original, beautiful design needn't be expensive.
More creativity than cash is at work here.

I especially liked the section at the end listing Remodelista's 100 favorite products/style items, many of which are now on my "acquisition" list.

5.0 out of 5 stars Swedish Modern Style in California, December 31, 2013
This review is from: Remodelista (Hardcover)
I've been a fan of Remodelista since the website began. Daily viewer. This book captures the essence of Remodelista's style, which is surprisingly similar to modern Swedish--white, light woods, spare furnishings, some jolts of color. If you like this style, this book will give you plenty of decorating ideas.

Remodelista
Remodelista by Julie Carlson (Hardcover - November 5, 2013)
$37.50 $21.68