5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good...
I've bought other cable releases from elsewhere - one in particular locked up the shutter after realease. To keep using the camera, the battery had to be taken out and reinserted. Hardly ideal on the job. This one works well so far... no lock-ups. If anything changes I'll edit this review.
Edit: I've been using this for a couple of weeks (Canon 5D MKII) now without...
Published on February 17, 2012 by Peter Bear

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother
Published 2 months ago by Oleander

5.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good..., February 17, 2012
This review is from: SMDV Remote Shutter Release Cable for Canon EOS 1D, 1DS Mark II, III, Mark III, IV, 1DC, 1DX, 10D, 20D, 20DA, 30D, 40D, 50D, 5D, 5D Mark II, III, 7D, Replaces Canon RS80N3 (Electronics)
Edit: I've been using this for a couple of weeks (Canon 5D MKII) now without incident.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works Just Fine, July 23, 2012
Purchased this cable release on a whim at the same time I bought my new Canon 7D. I'd been meaning to pick up a release for a while, but had been choking on the price tag for a Canon-branded one. Figured this couldn't be too bad for the price, so I tossed it onto an existing order and hoped for the best.

Overall, the construction feels a little "cheap", in that the button is rather squishy and the slide-to-lock binds a little bit on mine (I would call the feel "inexpensive imported plastic" overall), but functionality is 100% perfect. I have shot approximately 900 frames with the release now, predominantly using it to ontrol my 7D in bulb mode for fireworks and lightning shots, with a smattering of portrait and low-light macro shooting in the mix. I am quite pleased with it, and for the price I paid I am quite satisfied. If it were to fail on me at some point now, I would most likely purchase another.

Is it as finely built as the OEM product? Not even close.
Does it work? Flawlessly.

UPDATE - 11/13/14: I now have some thousands of shots taken with this, and it is still working well. The binding in the slide-to-lock appears to have gone away with time and use, it's decently smooth now. Two years and a bit in, still going strong!

4.0 out of 5 stars A dumb button, December 17, 2012
This thing does what it is supposed to do: pressing the button is like pressing the shutter on the camera.
The wire is not very long, maybe three feet, but this is more than enough for applications where what you want is avoiding camera shake.
The button locks down so that you don't have to keep your finger on it when shooting in bulb mode. I sometimes shot a burst of pictures when I wanted just one because the buttons gets locked down, but once used to it there is no problem.
The only other problem I ever had was the plug falling from the camera without real reason beyond gravity. Not a big deal.

[Edit after another two weeks practicing a lot very low light imaging in bulb mode]
I can now say that the locking mechanism tends to not work as well as I wish it would: a number of time I pressed, slid and removed my thumb just to hear the camera stopping exposition.
So now when exposing for less than 30s I either use manual mode or I just hold the button; and when exposing for longer than that (the max on my camera except in bulb mode) I pay attention to sliding the mechanism firmly, removing my thumb gently and not bumping the remote when I let it hang down.
Somewhat a pain but not a deal breaker.

4.0 out of 5 stars SMDV remote shutter release cable, November 13, 2012
It works fine, but doesn't "click" into place in the camera, like the Canon remote cable release does.
It could come out by mistake, if you're not careful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Has a long cable, November 4, 2011
I finally found a wire remote that has a long cable so i can have the cable further away from the source then 2 feet. so good job SMDV.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, February 5, 2012
Bought this remote for my 20D. I have had no problems with it. The remote and plug seem to be well built. For the money, this remote can't be beat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect but Cheap, April 14, 2012
it s a single button and toggle ,but it works wish the cord was a little longer but its nice for those doin macro photograpghy and its is a good product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't bother, October 11, 2014
I've had this product for several months now. It is not a good replacement for the one made by Canon. Often when I press the button it does not trigger the shutter (there goes the decisive moment) and equally annoying, it falls out of the camera socket really easily. I hate this thing and I've just ordered Canon's version which is what I had used prior. It costs more but works well. Don't waste your money on this inferior option.

3.0 out of 5 stars ok but watch for looseness, June 23, 2013
This release cable works as it should, however it tends to be loose in the connection and will fall out. Lost it after a few photo shoots. Now have the canon version, more expensive for fits snugly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, works well with my Canon 5D classic, June 28, 2012
Got it in the mail today, and tried it on my camera. Works pretty well, and appears to be built good. The jack fits well in the camera body as well. Do not have any problems with the product so far. Will update about the performance in about a months time.

It is more expensive than other non-branded third party remote shutter releases available in the market. But still cheaper than OEM Canon ones. Plus I would rather spend some extra money for peace of mind and avoid any inconveniences while shooting pics.