Removable Antenna ? How much power ? Sounds like a nice radio. I wonder if the antenna is removable. There is a good selection of reasonable GMRS roof and mobile antennas that could be used. This would certainly be a necessary feature for a base radio. How many watts ?
asked by Radio Head on June 19, 2007
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 answers
A
Hi radiohead
I'm a Ham and licensed FRS/GMRS user, but I have not used this radio. However look at the power available (4AA), the power limits for the GMRS and FRS Services (1/2W and 2W) along with its marketed use (consumers with matching handhelds) and it is unlikely to be removeable and replaced by most users. Also the users manual shows no indication of such accessories or antenna ports.
KG6WSE
R. Wilson answered on December 7, 2007
Comment | 6 of 8 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Also a licensed ham and gmrs operator. I just recieved this radio as a Christmas gift. I don't remember where I read it, but I believe that "HI" is 2watts on this radio. The actual max erp for GMRS is 50 watts with many stations limited to 5 watts. The antenna on this radio is not designed to be removable/replaceable, but I believe that it would be very easy to rig up an external antenna with this setup. Just remember that you cannot use such a setup on the FRS channels and remember the height limitations on the external antenna.
VectorJoe answered on December 26, 2007
Comment | 8 of 10 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Curious, why no Base station GMRS radios ? I have several radio licenses, but GMRS is great because of consumer accessability, which means my non-HAM freinds are more inclined to get one -
I was hoping this was a high-power unit with a removable antenna, (which is usually what qualifies a unit as a "base station") but none of the Midland info mentions power output either in watts or range, very suspect.
I will still get one for my travel trailer, I could use a AM/FM/Alarm clock w/ GMRS & crank power, even if it is low power.
Ian Hiebert answered on January 29, 2008
Comment (1) | 3 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
How has the radio performed since Christmas?
James Boutross answered on February 15, 2008
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I think Fox Charlie Charlie learned the hard way that allowing external antenna capability would quickly turn FRS into another CB fiasco. Picture 450 mHz kilowatt "kickers".
William C. Martin answered on November 4, 2009
Comment | 1 of 6 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I think Fox Charlie Charlie learned the hard way that allowing external antenna capability would quickly turn FRS into another CB fiasco. Picture 450 mHz kilowatt "kickers".
William C. Martin answered on November 4, 2009
Comment | 3 of 7 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
atenea is not removeable to accept larger 10" (rubber) like on my police scanner.
Joseph Reckinger answered on September 13, 2010
Comment | 5 of 5 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
A more practical radio for disasters is a small Grundig AM/FM/SW portable and a 36 pack of AA batteries ($12)which are also good for small flashlights. I can't tell you how useful it was during hurricane Charley. All electricity was down for 36 hours, and certain areas were down over 2 weeks. The TV stations were still operating at the height of the storm on emergency power and rebroadcast the audio on the radio frequencies. I was the only person in a large motel with an operating radio.

Other good items to have are a foldable hunting knife, can opener, three days of canned foods that can be eaten cold from the can, eating implements, two gallons of water, tooth bruhes, toothpaste, and above all some adult refreshment.
Crosby Boyd answered on November 6, 2010
Comment (1) | 10 of 14 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
The GMRS is 4 watts on high.
FR answered on June 30, 2012
Comment | 1 of 3 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   Next ›

See all questions about this product