4.0 out of 5 stars engaging romantic suspense

2.0 out of 5 stars Good plot, but the book is a mess
Published on September 24, 2006 by Deborah V

4.0 out of 5 stars engaging romantic suspense, July 28, 2004
This review is from: Renegade (Hardcover)
In Jacobsville, Texas Police Chief Cash Grier goes to New York to see Tippy "Georgia Firefly" Moore, the famous model turned actor. Cash and Tippy recently met in his hometown (see LAWLESS) but Tippy has mixed feelings about the lawman who wants to see her because she is very attracted to him, but fears intimacy since her stepfather raped her as a teen while her drugged out mom did nothing. In fact once she escaped she rescued her abused younger brother nine year old Rory from that hell although their "parents" use him to blackmail her for drug money.

Cash picks up Rory at his Maryland military school and takes him to his sister in the East Village. The attraction between Cash and Tippy could ignite Manhattan, but both remain wary as neither trust easily; she due to her stepfather and he due to his former fiancée's rejection in which she labeled him a cold killer after telling her about his military black ops work. However, druggies linked to her stepfather target Tippy and Rory as easy money, but they failed to factor in Cash, who loves both of them.

This engaging romantic suspense is more of a character study of two walking wounded rather than the police procedural love story of LAWLESS. Tippy and Cash have issues involving trust and intimacy as both have been hammered by the darkest side of humanity. Rory is a terrific "matchmaker" although his adjustments seem too easy. The "parents" are poster adults for why having children needs licensing more than marriage between two consenting adults. RENEGADE is a deep look at the healing power of love.

Harriet Klausner

2.0 out of 5 stars Good plot, but the book is a mess, September 24, 2006
I truly love the story of Cash and Tippy, but this book is so poorly written that the story isn't anything near what it could have been. As another reviewer noted--this book and the author could have benefited from a good proofreader and editor! I was really tired of the phrases "clung to him like ivy" and "wriggling eyebrows." There are other adjectives in the English language that could have substituted for phrases the author overused in the book. It was also confusing with many of the minor characters, I wasn't sure if some of them were written about earlier by the author or were going to be and why were they in the book? They didn't add anything to the story. I felt I missed something with some of the references. There were also a several instances of things just not making sense. One example was Cash telling Tippy that he had to leave because two of his officers had arrested a drunk politician. He comes home afterwards and tells her he isn't going to talk about it and then capitulates and tells her the same thing--two of his officers arrested a drunken politician. Like the writer just hadn't remembered that her character had already said this. I went back and skimmed back through the previous story with Chrissy/Judd (Lawless) when Tippy was introduced and it was much much better written. I don't know if Ms. Palmer was under a deadline or just didn't care enough about the characters to put her heart and talent into the writing and plot development.

As I stated I love the story of Cash and Tippy--two people who have been deeply hurt by life who find redemption within their love for one another, but the story is just written very badly. As an audience who was introduced to these characters in Lawless, we deserved better. Ms. Palmer wrote a very very superficial romance about two interesting, flawed characters. She didn't do her research on how the film world operates or the tabloids. She had a strange idea of what constituted fashion in 2004 when she wrote it and again, she repeated phrases ad nauseum and didn't use language that would have made the book credible. Shame on her! I'm glad I bought the paperback! I would have taken the hardcover back.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Book by Diana Palmer, September 18, 2005
I enjoyed this book very much. In fact, I think this was the shortest amount of time that I have read a book in. I read the whole thing in about two days. I am a big Diana Palmer fan and if you like her stories than you WILL LIKE this one. I would recommend reading "Lawless" first though, because this story is a sequal to that one.

Cash has a lot of demons in his past that he has to work through in this book. He plays the tough guy and hard a** in the story, but once you read through and find out why he is a hard guy than you understand him better. Tippy is very likeable in this story. She is very STRONG, INDEPENDANT, she makes a great woman to read about!

Tippy is a actress and she also plays mother to her younger brother. He is in military school so that makes him have something in common with Cash. Cash goes to visit Tippy at her home and they end up making love right off the bat. (They are not in love with eachother though yet) Then Cash makes a big mistake by blaming Tippy for something she has no control over, (well, a terrible accident happened that Tippy wasn't to blame for) and he ends up hating her. Then, Tippy's stepfather kidnaps her liitle brother and Tippy doesn't hesitate to give herself in his place. So, then Cash realizes that he made a mistake and falls in love with Tippy when she nearly loses her life in the hands of her stepfather. After that, Tippy moves out to Jacobsville with Cash, and they continue to fall in love with eachother.

You will not be bored with this book, there is lots of action and ROMANCE of course, but the scenes that Mrs. Palmer writes are very good. When Cash comes to Tippy's rescue when her stepfather has her hostage. I felt like I was right there in the story. I would recommend this book just for that scene alone. There are lots of other great scenes though. Read Lawless first and then get this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Renegade, July 29, 2004
This review is from: Renegade (Hardcover)
Diana delivers another truly amazing story. I have been reading Diana's books for some time now and I have come to love and cherish every book she writes. From the moment he was introduced in the Texas Ranger, Cash Grier has stolen the hearts of all he comes across. In Lawless Cash proves to all just how much of a formibadle presence he can be. We see that he is not the cold hearted lawman but, a carrying, loving, and sensual man. When Cash and Tippy spend some time alone all you see is sparks flying between them, but neither will even hint to what they are feeling. In Renegade these two ignite a flame of passion that can't be stopped. The one thing holding them back is that neither trusts the other due to their past ordeals. This story is so truling amazing and the story behind the romance is one that you can actually see happening. I love Diana's books and I love Cash Grier even more. I am thrilled that he got his own book so that he can tell his story to the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars better the second time......., August 5, 2005
stacey renee (rochester new york) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Renegade (Hardcover)
I first read this book a yr ago and for whatever reason rated it low in my own notes. Recently I read judd and christabelle's story and "tippy and cash" were in it. I hated tippy, an attention seeking flirt, and knew I'd never want to read that story. Lo and behold, I found myself reading it. I was totally surprised that it was incredible. I kept reading it at red lights. Diana Palmer took these 2 very difficult personalities and delved into them deeply. And the real people underneath are wonderful. It was a very emotional and heartwarming story about 2 people with horrific/traumatic pasts who have coped the only way they knew how and then helped each other heal. It gives real hope to people who are in that situation and wonder if they will ever be able to change their lives around and find happines.You not only feel so badly for tippy and cash, you truly rejoice for them. I will read this again and I am soooo glad that I fell into this time. Reading Judd's story actually helped some but it isn't paramount to this book. Give it a chance. You'll learn to love cash and tippy and rory and tristina.......

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite a good read but not as good as some, September 21, 2005
This probably rates about 3.5 stars more than 4. Renegade revisits 2 characters from Lawless - Cash Grier the police chief and Tippy Moore, the famous actress/model which caused a lot of grief in Christabel's and Judd's r/ship. She was a nasty person there but at the end of the book, she redeems herself and we understand the motives behind her horrid behaviour. She is given a kind of clean slate in this new novel where Palmer gives greater insight into her life and a bit of Grier's. Having a negative past with models since his father was seduced by one and left his wife for her, Cash was none too impressed with Tippy when he first met her in Lawless but now understanding her better and having met her little brother he sees that behind Tippy's glamour is a wounded soul just like himself. The two have faced many hardships in life and he enjoys a good camaderie with her little brother, who has a similar interest with him - he attends military school. Haunted by his past, Cash has never really formed any ties with people and places. The only person he has a soft spot for was Christabel, now married to Judd. Cash contacts Tippy in New York and visits her briefly where he forms a r/ship with her and her brother. Tippy wants more from him, but Cash isn't ready but despite that the two share a one-night stand where Cash soon disappears, not ready to commit. Tippy goes back to her life where she is acting in a movie but discovers she is pregnant. After being forced to do a stunt in the movie against her doubts, she miscarries and the tabloids spread nasty gossip about her. Believing what he reads, Cash realises that it was his baby that died and blames Tippy. Hounded by her alchoholic mother and threats from her and her mother's boyfriend Stanton for cash Tippy's life spirals downward. Her little brother is in danger, she's lost her baby and Cash. Then the worst happens - her brother is kidnapped and ransomed. Unable to come up with the money she rings Cash to get him to rescue her brother but he hangs up on her before she can explain the situation. To save her brother, Tippy exchanges herself - putting herself in the hands of the man who raped her years ago - her mother's boyfriend, Stanton. Cash, bothered by Tippy's call travels to NY and resolves the situation. However the two still have issues between them as they struggle with their personal emotional problems. This novel is pretty much typical Diana Palmer except there is less focus on the couple. As per usual, Palmer strikes at the heart of readers with her pleasure-pain emotions where the heroine is hurt terribly by the ruthless guy. When all is resolved, the ruthlessness is gone and replaced by absolute tenderness towards the girl. The emotions of the characters run rife with intensity where the hero interacts with the heroine with harshness with a few tender moments. There are little bits of humour interlaced with mystery/adventure. However, this book was not as good as Lawless, and somehow lacked the intensity of previous novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST READ!!!!!!!, July 25, 2004
This review is from: Renegade (Hardcover)
This book was fabulous!!!! This book was definely in true Diana Palmer's form. She once again gave you two wonderful lead characters that to me, has been the most real life characters I have read from her. I had so many emotions reading this book. It seems that every emotion Tippy and Cash (lead characters) were feeling, I felt. That to me was truly amazing. If you love romance, such a mild word for the emotion between Tippy and Cash, mixed with a little suspense you will LOVE this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Kind of disappointed, August 5, 2004
This review is from: Renegade (Hardcover)
I looked forward to reading this from the moment I finished "Lawless" and knew that Cash and Tippy were destined for a story of their own. Maybe I built "Renegade" up too much in my mind, but it was a big letdown for me. It was missing many of the elements that make Palmer one of my favorite authors. There is no slow buildup of sexual tension - Cash and Tippy are in bed together early in the book. The heroine is put through so many bad things, from her past to what happens to her in the story, that it is very depressing. So is Cash's treatment of her. He is downright cruel to her at times, and that does not make a romance to me. Plus, there are so many secondary characters to keep straight and so many things going on - local politics, movie stuff, government agencies, local criminal activities, etc., that the story gets bogged down. I wanted more focus on the main relationship, not the many mini-dramas going on around it. Maybe the most telling thing I noticed is that this is the first of Palmer's books that my library classified with a sticker that reads "Western" instead of "Romance". That says it all. It is not a bad book - Diana Palmer is a terrific writer - and I will re-read it, but I will do so keeping in mind that it is less a love story and more a dramatic tale with some love scenes in it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Anticipating Cash Grier, June 2, 2008
H. Misso (San Jose, California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Renegade (Hardcover)
I had read several of Ms. Palmer's books that had the character Cash Grier in them and I was fascinated with him. I really anticipated this book to see him find true love. I have to admit that I was disappointed in the story line mostly because he turned out to be such a jerk in the book. He is lucky that Tippy had such love and patience that she kept coming back till he turned slightly human.

Despite this, I still love Diana Palmer's Long Tall Texan Series, and the way she uniquely ties in so many of her characters that keep you coming back for more.

5.0 out of 5 stars diana palmer's latest, July 10, 2005
M. brown (center hill, florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Renegade (Hardcover)
in this book we catch up with the people of Jacobsville, Texas. the story focuses on the relationship between mysterious Cash Grier and actress Tippy Moore.Tippy and Cash met up in LAWLESS another 5 star read. if you love diana palmer books you won't be disappointed. If you have never read a diana palmer book, you will still love it. I do reccommend you start the jacobsville series from the beginning.

Renegade
Renegade by Diana Palmer (Hardcover - August 1, 2004)
Used & New from: $0.01