Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Showing 1-2 of 2 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
VINE VOICEon September 24, 2006
I truly love the story of Cash and Tippy, but this book is so poorly written that the story isn't anything near what it could have been. As another reviewer noted--this book and the author could have benefited from a good proofreader and editor! I was really tired of the phrases "clung to him like ivy" and "wriggling eyebrows." There are other adjectives in the English language that could have substituted for phrases the author overused in the book. It was also confusing with many of the minor characters, I wasn't sure if some of them were written about earlier by the author or were going to be and why were they in the book? They didn't add anything to the story. I felt I missed something with some of the references. There were also a several instances of things just not making sense. One example was Cash telling Tippy that he had to leave because two of his officers had arrested a drunk politician. He comes home afterwards and tells her he isn't going to talk about it and then capitulates and tells her the same thing--two of his officers arrested a drunken politician. Like the writer just hadn't remembered that her character had already said this. I went back and skimmed back through the previous story with Chrissy/Judd (Lawless) when Tippy was introduced and it was much much better written. I don't know if Ms. Palmer was under a deadline or just didn't care enough about the characters to put her heart and talent into the writing and plot development.

As I stated I love the story of Cash and Tippy--two people who have been deeply hurt by life who find redemption within their love for one another, but the story is just written very badly. As an audience who was introduced to these characters in Lawless, we deserved better. Ms. Palmer wrote a very very superficial romance about two interesting, flawed characters. She didn't do her research on how the film world operates or the tabloids. She had a strange idea of what constituted fashion in 2004 when she wrote it and again, she repeated phrases ad nauseum and didn't use language that would have made the book credible. Shame on her! I'm glad I bought the paperback! I would have taken the hardcover back.
on October 27, 2007
From the back cover:

Newly appointed police chief Cash Grier makes it his personal mission to keep law and order in the streets of Jacobsville. As a true renegade, Cash had learned never to take anything at face value--especially not his gorgeous sworn enemy, "Georgia Firefly" Tippy Moore. But Tippy is no longer a spoiled Hollywood starlet, just an unassuming beauty who has almost as many skeltons in her closet as Cash. Now the hard-edged Texan fainds himself powerless to resist their explosive chemistry.

Just as Cash is about to believe Tippy might be the one for him, an unforgivable betrayal leads to despair, deceit--and unexpected danger. Now all roads lead to this one pivotal moment that would test the very fabric of a love that had once known no bounds...

And my review:

If you've read Diana Palmer books in that past, you'll pretty much know what to expect. Sweet young virgin (or at least totally sexually inexperienced woman) falls in love with older, tortured man who's amazing in bed and teachs the heroine how great sex is. Some kind of danger conspires to keep things interesting, then they live happily ever after. If that's what you want to read, then you'll be satisfied. However, I like a little more in a romance. I don't really know why I keep trying Diana Palmer, because none of her books have been a good fit for me.

First complaint: this book is obviously a sequel (to LAWLESS, I have since learned)and it reads like one. The author jumps so immediately into her story that if you haven't read LAWLESS, you're going to feel quite lost. You don't know who the characters are, what their backstory is (it's obvious that they have a history, but someone who hasn't read LAWLESS will have no idea what it is) or much about the secondary characters.

Second complaint: no buildup of romantic or sexual tension. They talk about Tippy's sexual hangups, caused by childhood abuse, and the next thing you know, Cash is giving her lessons in physical intimacy. No buildup of "do I love you, do I care about you, am I attracted to you, are you attracted to me". Nope, just leap into bed ASAP. The dance of attraction (the whole "he touched my hand! Did he mean to touch my hand?") between hero and heroine is what I read romance for. It was totally absent from this novel, and I felt short-changed. It was as if Palmer wanted to get the relationship out of the way as soon as possible so that she could focus on her subplots.

Third complaint: too many other subplots. I wasn't at all interested in the political intrigues going on. There were so many subplots to keep straight that I got sick of trying.

If you want instant sex between the characters, no real emotional depth to their journey to happily ever after, and like stories that have romance only for added spice, then you might like RENEGADE. If you like romance to focus on the relationship, and for the journey to love to be a slow-burning and well-earned one, you might like to look elsewhere.