5.0 out of 5 stars opinion
Outstanding book. Storyline(s)skillfully maintained throughout this on-going series. If I was wealthier, I'd be vying for the movie rights. Greats reads from cover to cover(i.e. 1%-100%). At times, even the Author's Notes hold some intresting surprizes.
Published on September 7, 2011 by opinion

3.0 out of 5 stars Renewal 9 - Delay Tactics
Decent book and decent story with a great action sequence. Characters are well thought out and sequence of events is riveting.

Hey, I am writing a few year's of revies. This stuff is tedious, so give me a break.
Published 17 months ago by Kenneth C. Williams

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars opinion, September 7, 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Still wonderful!, January 13, 2013
This review is from: Renewal 9 - Delay Tactics (Kindle Edition)
One more left and I don't want it to end. Hope Kirk finally gets his Tam. Does good beget good?

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems to Be Getting Better - Good Series, April 30, 2012
This review is from: Renewal 9 - Delay Tactics (Kindle Edition)
To start off, this is not a full-length book but the second of a ten-part series of short stories: it will take you less than an hour to read this one as well as for each of the ten other stories. If you haven't read the first book of the series (Renewal without any of the numbers after it), you need to read that one first then progress in numerical order through #10.

Book 8 really kicked it up and gave you a lot of action, and the author doesn't stop with book 9 and continues does a good job of sucking you into it and feeling as if you are really there in the middle of it. You can really see an improvement in the plot and character development of the author with this one.

Similar to the other books in the series, the author sets you into a futuristic (and believable) outlook of America several decades after a nuclear destruction of organized society, with frequent flashbacks / narrations of what happened immediately after to the surviving families. I could actually visualize the various scenes and situations, and found myself wondering "what if" or "what would I do" while reading not only this one, but the other stories in the series. The author does a good job of wetting your tastebuds and wanting a little more at the conclusion of the story - hence, let's go purchase the next book of the series. Overall, the series is very good and I highly recommend it.

I will point out I did read all ten of the stories of the series one right after the other as the series is good: while good, it was a little annoying to having just strapped myself in to read for a while then finding the various stories ended and I had to go buy another. Mr. Perkins, if you are reading this review I would encourage you to put all ten stories into one edition and raise the price - your readers will thank you for it (and spend less money) while you will make more off of the 70% royalty!

5.0 out of 5 stars renewal reality, May 12, 2014
This review is from: Renewal 9 - Delay Tactics (Kindle Edition)
As I'm approaching the last book (available), I find myself realizing that there is still much of the story to be told and only one short book to go to hear it. It makes me wonder...I hope the books continue and at the same time, in a way, I want to come to the conclusion. Nonetheless, this story needs to become a movie. I mean after all, they have made "The Road" and "The Book of Eli" both with a seemingly similar general plot and yet this series puts them all to shame. I am hopeful....

4.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing, December 27, 2013
This review is from: Renewal 9 - Delay Tactics (Kindle Edition)
I'm reviewing the entire series with theses statements. The story is great and the ideas presented very realistically. My only hesitations in giving this 5 stars are various grammar and editing errors. However, do not let this preclude you from enjoying a fun ride!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hoping for a sequel!, September 26, 2013
Yours truly, "Sheri" (A Small Town in the Sierras, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Renewal 9 - Delay Tactics (Kindle Edition)
Great book! Total enjoyment.

The whole story is a series of ten sections sold separately. I bought the first part more than two years ago and then let the story go when I realized I'd be unable to finish the book because the story wasn't finished being written. But I remembered the characters and situation, which is unusual for me. Anyway, I kept seeing it in my recommendations, noticed the story was complete, checked the reviews which my internal spidey sense told me were authentic, and decided to give part two a try. And from then on I was sucked in to this fantastic story. My interest never wavered.

This book was a joy to read. The characters mattered to me. I would share my food with these people.

It was realistic - at the end of the battles, I felt battle-weary and somehow injured by the waste of human lives. You know the feeling; as if there are only six people left on earth and they have to have a war.

There were almost no grammatical errors! What a pleasure. It was polished writing. No klutzy sentences.

There were NO secret agendas in the story telling. It wasn't a secret advertisement for someone's religious or political beliefs. Thank You! I have my own beliefs. There's a difference between telling a good story for it's own sake and telling one that's only secondary to the promotion of someone's agenda.

And finally, there were explosions and car crashes and good guys against the wall. I can get in touch with my inner fourteen year old as well as anybody else.

The reason this kind of book appeals to me is that I feel our country is already pretty broken. There may still be supermarkets and gas stations but our country is nearly as broken as it is in this book. The election process, and thus democracy, is subverted. The two parties and their squabbles are a charade - neither party is working for the common good. Big corporations and central banks run our country. They own our food and are trying to own our water (already do in large part). We already work for the 'ruling families'. We aren't in labor camps, but those camps are being built in America. Television is just a type of circus to keep our attention off what is happening. News is a magic act to direct our attention where they want it to be. Big Brother is watching us. Police forces have been militarized to subdue any protest. The right to peaceably protest is gone. Almost half of our young people can't get jobs. A lot of our people are going hungry and even those who aren't are eating strange stuff that can make us sick. Until Americans are working for third world wages our economy will be stagnant. Trickle down economics doesn't work in a globalized economy. We can't raise our own food and barter it for other products because it's illegal to do so. We have to work for the 'ruling families' for money. We can't live free on our own land because crippling taxes and fees make it impossible. Yeesh!

Finally, a bit about the plot. I like knowing something about the plot because it helps me pick books I'll enjoy and rule out others. What follows is only minor spoilers; the broadest synopsis of the plot. But if you don't like to know about the plot ahead of time -- Stop reading here!

**********************Minor Plot Spoilers below***********************

Two stories are told. One involves Bill Carter when he was twelve years old. This story line occurs right after the breakdown and is about how he and his family survived.

The second timeline is about 50 years after the breakdown of the country. It follows Terry, a young reclamation engineer and Bill Carter's little group of survivalists. The entire region, aside from Bill's group, are under the thumb of the "ruling families". This part reminds me of the stories about corporate-run coal mining towns back in the 1800s. The miners never got out of debt to the company because they lived in company housing and bought food from the company - all at outrageous prices. Similar story in the book; the ruling families keep everyone at a half-starved level, barely surviving, by controlling trade, etc. Bill's group of survivors also get caught up with another group of bad guys (called the Dragon group) who terrorizes a nearby area. The two groups of bad guys team up to take out Bill's group.

**************************End Spoilers*********************************

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great series!, September 13, 2013
This review is from: Renewal 9 - Delay Tactics (Kindle Edition)
I purchased Book One, just to be sure I would like it. Got about 30 pages in and went back & bought the whole series. You will not be sorry. Bill Carter from a young man to his later years. What a guy!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Renewal Series, August 5, 2013
This review is from: Renewal 9 - Delay Tactics (Kindle Edition)
Love the series. Can't wait till he writes more. Spell check doesn't take the place of a good editor though.

4.0 out of 5 stars so hooked!, May 26, 2013
This review is from: Renewal 9 - Delay Tactics (Kindle Edition)
These books are really good. They keep me riveted to my iPad. Thanks for being such an insightful, interesting writer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Renewal 9 - Delay Tactics, March 28, 2013
This review is from: Renewal 9 - Delay Tactics (Kindle Edition)
I have been reading this series for about a week. I'm so glad I didn't discover it until there were 10 books done. I love this story! The flashing between past and present, the descriptions of the first day up to and including the present day life of the people have entranced me. I never thought I would be adding to my short list of favorite but here I go. The Stand, all time favorite...Swan Song, and now the Renewal series from JF Perkins. Thank you! I now know there ARE still wonderful new books being written!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›