Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on March 29, 2011
The battery pack works fine, and is installed in my unit after a bit of jerry rigging. Make sure you have the NEW version of the XS 1500, not an older one, or this won't fit out of the box.

I purchased this model for my APC Back+UPS XS 1500; which is what the product description says it fits. My XS 1500 is several years old (purchased it at Circuit City back in the day), and apparently APC has kept the same name as the older models, but changed the design of the battery packs.

The issue is that in the older XS 1500, the two batteries that make up the pack are side-to-side, with the terminals at the top of each unit on the same plane. With the version shipping with this product purchase it's the same two batteries, but instead of side-to-side, they are top-end-to-top-end and held together with binding cover.

It only took a few minutes to disassemble the thing as received and put it together (with strong electrical tap binding the two batteries together) in a manner that fit the older unit. Once inserted and connected, it charged right up and my UPS is actually a UPS again.

Overall not a big issue for someone with just a little bit of tech saavy...but also not something the average user would want to deal with.

UPDATE: Time to order another one for my APC XS-1500. The item advertises 3-5 years battery life, and I'm just one month short of the 3 years mark. I'm not going to down-rate the product because of that, but wanted to warn others that this product is probably going to be on the low end of the battery longevity scale advertised.
on February 5, 2010
I just got my shipment from UPS and I'm not a HAPPY CAMPER as I ordered the real APC RBC33 pack as listed on Amazon. What I got from the company they used call chefash was 2 separate batteries. Now the Amazon page shows I ordered the real deal, but Chefash is now listed in the other companies. When you look there now they say it's 2 separate batteries which is not going to be APC as they only ship the batteries as a unit (taped together and you get a free shipping label to recycle the old batteries). Not from this place! I blame Amazon for showing the APC just like now, only saying it ships from Chefash and nowhere when I ordered did they list if as two separate batteries (NOT APC). Normally Amazon hasn't had a problem like this for all the items I've ordered when they list either Amazon or the supplier. I started the first step which is sending a note the seller, not holding my breath they are going to make this right. I'm sure Amazon will give me my money in the end, but this doesn't help me now as old batteries are dieing which is why I ordered the replacement. I could order the better separate batteries which are less money from another company as now Amazon has a higher price for the same APC pack. Last time I order off of Amazon for the APC pack I got a good and price and had no problems. So watch who is shipping your battery pack and double or triple check to be sure you are getting the real deal.

What I would really like is for Amazon to give me a return label for these batteries and ship me the real APC batteries!
55 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 13, 2012
This item does not fit the 'xs-1500'.

It fits the xs series only up to 'xs-1000', and certain other series' up to 1500. To top it off, Amazon does not allow returns on hazardous items.

You can fit it to the xs-1000 by:
1 cutting the tape/seal both sides, above & below adapter plate.
2 dis-assembling from wiring harness.
3 place batteries side-by-side, orient to match old batteries.
4 use jumper from old batteries to connect in series (+of one battery to -of other).
5 connect black cable to '-'
6 slide into the UPS, connecting red cable to '+' terminal when it reaches.
on May 28, 2013
So, if you read the model number off of the actual UPS unit, which in my case says "Back UPS XS 1500".

Be careful when using this as the actual model, because that will lead you to buying the RBC33. Better to open up your PowerChute application, click on Technical Data and note the "real" model, which in my case was "Back-UPS BX1500G". Using that would get you to the RBC124 which is correct.

Cannot return the battery (hazardous material)...what to do?

Simple...get yourself a utility knife, duct tape (or similar heavy duty tape). Take your old battery out and set it next to your new one. Then...

1. Cut the tape holding the two batteries together on the old one
2. Do the same for the new one
3. Gently pull the two batteries apart for each
4. Old battery first - disconnect the wires from the terminals on each of the two batteries being careful to keep the orientation of the middle plastic separator the same (helps get it right when moving to the new one)
5. Disconnect wires from terminals on each of the new battery (discard those wires and plastic separator
6. Place the old separator in between the 2 halves of the new battery
7. Connect the Red(Positive) to the Red connector and the Black (Negative) to the Black connector on one half
8. Repeat for the other half
9. While pressing the two halves together with the middle piece of the old battery in between, tape together where the halves meet. Make sure the batteries are lined up and there is no gap in the middle. It does not have to be perfect, just close.
10. To make removal easier next time, unstick the tabs from each of the older batteries and restick them in the same spot on the new one.
11. Gently drop in the new battery with the connector facing down, replace cover - you are good to go
12. Note to self - buy the right one next time :-)
on March 11, 2016
After over 15 years of continuous use,the battery of my dependable APC power supply decided it was just too tuckered out to take a charge. After ascertaining that the rest of the unit was still operating just fine, and that all was needed was a new battery, that was the most cost efficient path to take since replacing this particular UPS would cost more than twice the cost of the battery. This battery is an exact replacement for the one which became non-functional. Simply removed the cover on the UPS case, unplugged the old one, and just plugged in the new one, replaced the cover, and plugged it into the AC outlet. Even though it was already charged when it arrived (in only two days) from the day it was ordered, I gave it about 8 more hours to ensure that it was fully charged before connecting it to this computer and its related peripherals.

Peace of mind is knowing that with a properly working UPS, if a loss of commercial power occurs while you are using your system, you are able to at least make an orderly shut-down if you anticipate that your outage may last more than momentarily.
on December 17, 2014
UPDATE!
APC contacted me after my post and replaced the damaged battery pack at no cost. Bravo, they have earned my respect and I feel a need to share.

Item arrived and the plastic seal that joins the batteries was ripped and split. Put the replacement battery in as instructed but the replace battery light still flahes. There are no returns for this item, so buyer beware! I guess on UPS purchases an new unit is smarter than a replacement battery. Expensive lesson!
on September 25, 2011
I'm not sure how valuable a review of a just-installed battery is, but I saw a couple of reviews that didn't match my buying experience and I therefore thought I'd share mine.

First, inside the packaging you'll find a "Battery Disposal Information" sheet. Follow the link provided and you'll be able to print out a FREE shipping label for your old battery pack. Use the box the new battery came in, slap the label on it, and take it to the nearest drop-off location (or call for a pickup).

Second, the unit I received looked exactly like the picture - two batteries already assembled, which is different than what the one reviewer here mentioned. Not sure why we received different products, but in my case it was as simple as disconnecting the modular plug, pulling the old one out, and following that in reverse to install the new one. Two minutes.

Third, I installed this battery pack in a UPS BackUps 1000, even though this is supposedly a battery for a 1500. Figured it would work fine PLUS I'd have longer on-battery time versus the intended 1000 battery module. The UPS's are exactly the same physically and I'm guessing the internals are too, except of course for the weaker battery that comes originally with the 1000.

Lastly, after installing the new battery module, I plugged the UPS back in and the behavior was a little strange - some beeps and amber lights (I didn't record the exact sequence) for a minute or so. I started to think perhaps something was wrong with the new module, as some reviewers indicated was the case with theirs, but that stopped and the green light has been on ever since with no beeps. Everything seems fine.
on March 22, 2012
A shipping label to recycle the old battery does not come with the replacement as it once did, but if you dig on the APC site, you can find and print a free return label.

Start with the "recycle" URL that is in the accompanying Battery Disposal Information sheet (I'd type it here but Amazon seems to remove URLs), if you select United States instead of the default Zimbabwe, the next page lists various recycling options. At the bottom look for "APC will accept dead batteries shipped to our preferred recycling service provider, Fortune Group Green Recycling. APC supplies free shipping to this suppliers closes location. click here. (United States and Canada only)". Follow instructions to print the free shipping label.

Regarding the replacement battery, the one I received had APC labels on it, was properly configured for my 4+ year old UPS (vertically) and replacement took about one minute. It was pretty painless.
on February 13, 2015
I bought this replacement battery for my XS 1500 on 8/20/2012 and it died a few days ago on 2/7/2015, so it lasted 2.5 years. Of course, having it last longer would have been better, but I'm satisfied with how long it lasted. It was very easy to install.
on August 28, 2012
Usually I am extremely happy with purchases from Amazon, and if a product is defective, they make the situation right. There is always an exception to every rule and this is it. The negative reviews are correct; the replacement batteries don't work and you cannot ship them back to Amazon. You are stuck with no way to get a refund on your money! I ordered replacement batteries for an APC Back UP RS 1500 and an APC Back Up XS 1000, both batteries being manufactured by APC. The cost was was $156.56 which I might as well have flushed down the toilet. Knowing that there is no way to remedy the situation if the product is defective, Amazon should not be selling this item. Also, as other's have mentioned, if Amazon can ship them to you, why can't they accept them back? The situation most definitely changes my opinion about purchasing from Amazon.