4.0 out of 5 stars Works
I (literally) fried the last probe for our Taylor P2290 electronic thermometer. Tip: don't let the cord hang over direct heat from a grill.

The replacement works as expected and the metal coated fiber gives me a measure of confidence (though I'm more careful now).
Published on September 28, 2009 by A. Reyes

3.0 out of 5 stars Can buy direct from Chaney for less
These probes get fried at a much lower temp than the 600-700 claimed. I gave up and bought a dozen directly from Chaney for 6-7 dollars each.

Never had a problem with one doing a spatchcocked chicken - temp is only ~400, but regularly ruin one searing steaks at 550.

Published on July 10, 2011 by B. Carnovale

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Works, September 28, 2009
This review is from: Replacement Probe for Chaney Instruments & Taylor Thermometers (See Models Below)

5.0 out of 5 stars Call Taylor they will ship another to you for free., June 16, 2011
I purchased a Tru Temp 3528-21 from Target about 3 months ago. I made the mistake of allowing it to get wet in the sink when I washing it. Needless to say it stopped working. I called Taylor @ 1-866-843-3905 and I explained that I was looking for a replacement probe. I was asked how long I had the device and then they asked me for my mailing address. I asked how much the probe would be and I was informed that it will be replaced under warranty. A week later I have it in my possession without charge. The website doesn't mention anything about this and when you email they respond with.

"Thank you for your email. You are looking for a probe model 1470NRP and may order these from Taylor by sending a check or money order to the address below in Las Cruces, NM. Amount per probe is $5 (includes shipping). Make sure to provide a physical address and phone number along with the probe model number and we will have your order shipped to you by UPS."

Free is always better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Can buy direct from Chaney for less, July 10, 2011

UPDATE: When doing steaks/chops etc. where I want to sear the meat, I use the thermometer to monitor the internal temperature while I raise the internal temperature to 100 degrees (with the grill temp at ~200). I'll turn it once in the process. Once the meat is up to 100, I remove the probe, put the meat on a warm plate, turn all the burners to HIGH, and once the grill is ~500+ put the meat back on for no more than 2-3 minutes per side. Just test by touch at this stage. Perfect medium rare every time. A tiny bit more work, but I haven't fried a probe for over a year.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pricier but better than original, September 7, 2011
I bought a Taylor 1478 and promptly incinerated the probe. This replacement is expensive but much better and I hope I will get a long life out of it. The 1478 isn't listed as a model it will work with but it works great with mine.

Taylor Digital Cooking Thermometer with Probe and Timer

You can get cheaper replacements from Taylor but I have a feeling they are plastic and will just burn up one after the other. I'm very happy with this probe.

5.0 out of 5 stars Major improvement, September 9, 2010
Bruce MacDermott (Berkeley, California United States) - See all my reviews
This replacement probe has a much more robust design compared to the original probe that came with our Taylor Thermometer. It works perfectly with the Taylor unit. A great way to save money as opposed to purchasing a complete new digital thermometer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Metal Braided Cord, November 30, 2013
I think the metal braid will help this cord last longer, but it is a little bit shorter than the original cord that came with the unit. It still reaches the thermometer, and it works just fine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what it's supposed to., August 31, 2013
I only give this 3 stars because it has to be replaced from time to time and costs as much as an entire new product, including the thermometer itself! Not fair, guys.

4.0 out of 5 stars wish it was 1 foot longer but the quality is great, May 30, 2013
pros
great quality
easy to clean
fits perfectly

cons
wish it was 1 foot longer

i am already ordering another one

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful replacement, May 2, 2013
This is very durable, easily to use through oven door, and it provides a very accurate reading for all my cooking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great., March 26, 2013
Bill C (Colorado, USA) - See all my reviews
Other than costing too close to replacing the whole thing, it's all good. I think this is the vulnerable part of the device, so you might want to consider buying two probes.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›