5.0 out of 5 stars IT ACTUALLY WORKS!
Here is what you really want to know: this aftermarket battery works perfectly in the Nikon D5100. Reading the reviews of other off-brand batteries I saw many of the newer Nikon cameras will not accept a non-Nikon brand battery because it has a special chip inside to identify it.

I was skeptical of this one but I figured I would give it a chance as the...
Published on October 1, 2012 by Paul E

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work in either a D5100 or a D3200
Published 16 months ago by Bruce Forsland

5.0 out of 5 stars IT ACTUALLY WORKS!, October 1, 2012
This review is from: Replacement EN-EL14a, EN-EL14 Ultra High Capacity Li-ion Battery For Nikon D5300, D3300, D5100, D5200, D3100, Nikon Df and D3200, P7100, P7700 Digital Camera - Fully Decoded! (Nikon EN-EL14a Replacement) + ButterflyPhoto MicroFiber Cleaning Cloth (Accessory)

I was skeptical of this one but I figured I would give it a chance as the description is clear this battery will work in the D5100. It does. It works just like the stock Nikon battery both in the camera and in the Nikon charger. I cannot speak to the increased run-time compared to the stock battery yet, but anecdotally it seems the same or better than the stock battery.

I would buy another one of these batteries in a heartbeat. About a third less than the stock Nikon battery and increased capacity. That's a winning combination for me.

6 month update: This battery has outperformed the stock Nikon battery in every way. Battery life has been observed to be enhanced compared to the stock battery. I have had no issues with reliability. I highly recommend these aftermarket batteries to friends.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Battery, October 8, 2012
Heard problems with these batteries not working on the Nikon D3100, but not this one it works great with my D3100 camera. If you need a spare battery this is the one for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work in either a D5100 or a D3200, August 29, 2013
Bought this as a backup for my D5100 and D3200 Nikons, and both cameras gave me the message that the battery wasn't compatible with them even though they are on the list of cameras the battery is supposed to work with. The battery was made by Vivitar, and looking at Vivitar's web site, it doesn't list either of these cameras as being compatible, just the D3100, so these guys should have known better than to advertise this as working for all the cameras they list. These were shipped from 33 Street Camera, which gave me a refund, though I still had to pay for the return shipping.

1.0 out of 5 stars battery will not work on the NIKON D5100 READS :, April 18, 2013
WHEN I INSTALL IT IT READS ON THE SCREEN :

THIS BATTERY CANNOT BE USED . CHOOSE BATTERY DESIGNATED FOR USE IN THIS CAMERA.

It charged just fine just like m y stock one , just wont work on my Nikon D5100

2.0 out of 5 stars Not working on Nikon D5200, April 7, 2013
Product description says that it will work with Nikon 5200 but as place battery in on D5200 then it is showing error of battery is not compatible..

4.0 out of 5 stars It stopped working after just a few months, but the merchant replaced it:, June 14, 2013
It worked fine for a few months then all of the sudden, after a recharge, I get the dreadful error message:

"THIS BATTERY CANNOT BE USED . CHOOSE BATTERY DESIGNATED FOR USE IN THIS CAMERA"

What a waste...

UPDATE: 6-27-2013

I contacted the seller and they agreed to replace it. I'll ship it out soon and will update the review once I receive the replacement. At least the seller seems to stand behind their product.

UPDATE: 7-25-2013

Well, I received my replacement battery, which is working fine so far, so I am updating the rating to 4 stars. It looks like this is a good deal, if you purchase it from the right vendor. Kudos to E-Batterystore for their quick service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Extra Battery for Nikon D5100, September 10, 2012
Delivery was quick. The battery works well in my camera. I'd order from this store again. Best price I could find for a non-Nikon battery that would work in my D5100.

1.0 out of 5 stars Overheats my camera, July 25, 2013
I recently bought a Nikon D3200 and got this as a supplemental battery to go with. After only 20 mins of shooting, the camera got so hot the liveview wouldn't work, and it was very hot to the touch where I hold it. I live in Florida and shoot mostly outside, so the heat is a major concern for me. I'm returning this and going with another battery. The price is right, but I'm not going to save $15 to potentially damage a $600 camera body.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Capacity for Nikon D5100, June 11, 2013
The battery was employed for a concert shoot where I took 406 pictures with and without flash. No problem and the battery took less than 1 hour to recharge, so there was plenty of power left. Could have taken over 1000 photos.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good. A bit of a risk, but for a budget, a must have item., June 17, 2013
I have two Nikon DSLR's (D5100 and D3200), both of which use the exact same battery pack. There is always a risk of a bad battery, when you buy a third party item, and everyone has heard, or even witnessed the dangers that Li-ion batteries pose. I have seen a laptop go up in flames, because of this battery type, and heard about phones doing the same. Li-ion is still relatively new, and powerful, but it still has problems, and could very well destroy your camera, if it should fail.

If you have any of the camera's that this battery is for, and you take a lot of photos, or do long exposures, then you already know the limitations of a single battery, and you must always have a spare ready, this one will do. If you have the money, go for the real mccoy, buying a little peace of mind. I plan to buy originals once I have the extra cash, as these just don't have the feel that screams quality.

Having this battery, and the original in my camera bag, I have yet to run out of power during a vacation day, and it has allowed me to shoot 2k plus photos, and still have power to spare.

I would recommend that you remove any battery from your camera, when you are not using it, pays to be cautious.