Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Generic Replacement for Sony NP-F550 Digital Camera Battery
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on November 10, 2012
Let me be clear, there are plenty enough horror stories on the Internet about how you can ruin a good camcorder with bad batteries. These stories are real, and companies like Sony have taken to putting special chips in their batteries to keep people from using them. Not only does this lock the customer into buying overpriced battery replacements, it also saves Sony some money from doing warranty repairs because that cheap battery wasn't made to Sony's specifications. While YOU would never call in a warranty on an item you'd knowingly damaged, there are people that would, and warranty repairs cost money.

Some replacement batteries are very high quality. Others are not. How do you know which is which? Trial and error is a little like Russian roulette with your camcorder. Tons of research is almost more trouble than it is worth, especially with 'plant' reviews. However, if there is no brand name on the battery or it is labeled Sony when you know it isn't, I wouldn't trust it out the gate. The batteries I received had no brand markings on them. So no, I don't trust them.

That said, I bought them to go in my LED light. For that, they are working wonderfully and I have no complaints. They are rechargeable and cheaper than AAs if I get 2 full uses out of them. I do not KNOW that they are not good enough for a camcorder, but I would not try it. They work fine for my light though, and neither one has failed me.
on July 8, 2012
Charged battery to use with Neewer video light, doesn't work. Charger may be problem, but it showed green light when charging. Either way, it sucks.

Edit: Trying to return, and just learned I will have to pay postage. You have been warned. Double suck.

Edit: Eforcity won't replace, just refund, you pay the postage. Triple suck.

Quote: Return for refund (original purchase price only, shipping and handling is NOT refundable): 30 days from the Invoice date.
Return for replacement: No replacement is offered
Defective Products: Credited refund for purchase price to original method of payment
77 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2012
I bought this battery recently through Amazon to power a Neewer 160 LED movie light. I do not have the Sony camera it is intended for and cannot comment on its performance in the Sony product. It works well in the Neewer light. On a full charge it will power the light continuously at full brightness for over an hour, which is all I need. And it was not expensive at just over $9. However, it is not a "Sony" product, but a "Sony Replacement" product, so I am giving it 4 stars.
44 comments|23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 2, 2014
Life of battery still strong after a year, I was very surprised and pleased. I hesitated at first but this was a good buy. I use it for an LED light box and this battery keeps it bright for a long time and many times I cannot tell that the battery is low by looking at the power of the light. So this is a good buy ;)
on May 31, 2014
I purchased 2 of these batteries to use with my Neewer CN-160 LED panel for my Nikon D5200. Shipping took a little longer than I expected but regardless I received them.

Charged both of them for 12 hours but one of them seems to not have the same amount of power as the other (it seems to never get a full charge) and dies faster than the other one. BUT, for $3, you can't complain. I don't even know how they make money on this battery when they sell it so cheap. But that's good for us! So all in all, I have no complaints. No brainer, especially for the money.
on April 18, 2014
I have a Graphtec data logger that takes a proprietary battery that costs a bloody mint. I spent some time looking at less expensive batteries, as I figured that the proprietary one was probably a relabeled mass-produced battery of some sort...and sure enough it's the Sony NP-F550. To check the compatibility, I bought two of these cheap Sony replacement batteries...mostly just to verify the size and voltage compatibility.

To my surprise the replacement is working like a champ: correct voltage and size in my application...and after a year of use the self discharge rate is still very acceptable (pretty much holding charge for several months between uses). For my application, there was no need to go off and buy the more expensive "name brand" batteries. These were one tenth the cost of the Graphtec batteries they replaced.

BTW...I don't charge the batteries in the Graphtec, which lacks the third charging terminal used by Sony. Instead, I bought a cheap "Battery Charger for SONY Li-Ion NP-FM500H NP-F550 NP-F570" from Amazon. It also works like a champ and charges the batteries just fine.
on February 11, 2012
Bought 12/15/11....Stopped working on 2/11/12. Less than 60 days. Will attempt to see if there is a warranty and if it is honored.
on February 22, 2015
I'm totally disappointed with this batteries. When you buy brand new batteries you expect to get an item able to charge the the fullest....but with this one not....I just reached 3 points out of 4 on the charger meter. I wouldn't recommend to no one to buy this batteries!
review image
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon January 22, 2015
I purchased this battery to function as a rechargeable battery for my Neewer LED camera light. You can find my exhaustive review here http://goo.gl/AXhoOw . I've had no problems with it so far and the build quality is nice. It's easy to recharge and for my LED application, it packs plenty of hours of juice! Great battery for a great price. I'd definitely suggest purchasing, if it fits your device!
review image review image
on January 15, 2013
I ordered 2 and they came pretty quickly. One seems fine, but the other was completely dead and wouldn't even register on my charger. SF Planet are easy to contact and sent me a replacement (where I just slipped in the defective one, re-sealed the envelope and put the sticker they sent back on to mail off.) But the replacement was defective too. This hopefully isn't common, but it's really annoying. Contacted them again, so now they're just waiting for the one I shipped back to show up and they'll refund (I'd prefer they send me one that has been tested, but instead I get to start over and find another place to buy from.)

I've been shooting now for two weeks and could have used the backup battery, but now I'm sure it won't be until next week that I get it.

Hopefully no one else has this issue. Like I said, SF Planet are easy to contact, but I'd rather get a product that works.

EDIT: Went ahead and took it all the way down to one star because they never gave me a refund. I mailed it back over a month ago, and never heard from them, don't see anything on my card, and am just really annoyed. I just sent them an email asking them what their deal is, so we'll see. There have been multiple times having a working backup battery would have helped a lot, but nope.