5.0 out of 5 stars So is this what would happen if Saw mated with Moulin Rouge?
This movie is amazing! The scenes are very creepy and unsettling, but at the same time very appealing and artistically beautiful. Even if you hated the music or plot, which I didn't this movie alone for the scenery is worth a buy.

Published on January 21, 2009 by Alexander Stephen Brown

3.0 out of 5 stars Confusing and bewitching
A few years ago I went to see Rob Zombie's directorial debut "House of 1000 Corpses" and I remember driving home not knowing what the hell I just watched. I wasn't sure it was actually any *good* but I knew it was different. I had that same feeling tonight after watching "Repo! The Genetic Opera."

It is what it is, operatic but with a distinct goth/rock feel...
Published on January 22, 2009 by Michael Allred

5.0 out of 5 stars So is this what would happen if Saw mated with Moulin Rouge?, January 21, 2009
Alexander Stephen Brown (Vicksburg, ms United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Repo! The Genetic Opera (DVD)

Now about the music. At first I was uncertain of how to feel regarding their musical numbers, and by the third song I was hooked. The lyrics in this are comedic at times, other times serious, and actually nearing the end there is a song that I think is pleasant, "I Didn't Think I'd Love You This Much," is the name of the song I believe. The vocals of lead Alexa Vega are great, strong, and defined. Even Paris Hilton surprised me as this is the first time I have heard her vocals, and it reminded me some some old school goth rock cd I'd listen to in high school. Finally, Sarah Brightman. What can I say about Sarah that anyone doesn't already know? Musical Wise, she was nothing short of spectacular.

Acting wise, I'm a big junkie for Bill Mosley and it was fun to see him pull off the comedic cult character he portrayed. Paris, actually did great acting, it surprised me how great Alex Vega did considering I had never seen her attempt anything like this, and I was surprised that Sarah Brightman could be as dark as she was in this movie. The casting meshed well and it was fun to see such big names in a movie that hadn't hit theaters in my area.

Art wise, the scenes were mind-blowing. There are scenes where there is much cgi used, but overall it looks good, and that's saying a lot for me considering I hate cgi. Also, the make up was great with good effects, example, if the box hadn't said Paris was in this I doubt I would have recognized her until the end.

Overall, I rarely say this.... But I wish I could give this a higher rating then a 5 star. I will be buying the soundtrack as soon as I complete this review. Repo! Will be played a second time tonight for my posse... Yes, it was that good.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rock Opera at it's best!, December 19, 2008
This review is from: Repo! The Genetic Opera (DVD)
Three, count 'em, three (!) songs from Repo! The Genetic Opera are being considered for Academy Award nomination. That shows how amazing this film is. Sadly, Lionsgate does not consider this film to be all that amazing, and is not doing anything to support this nomination. Generally, a film company would send letters and sample DVDs to the Academy members, promoting their film. Lionsgate, however, is run by a bunch of idiots and they are not doing this. So, it is up to the fans to promote Repo! Here are the three songs that are up for the nomination:
"Zydrate Anatomy"
"Chase The Morning"
"Chromaggia"

Set against a futuristic backdrop where an epidemic of organ failures is plaguing humanity, people turn to the unscrupulous Geneco Corporation to purchase replacements for their failing vitals. Not everybody makes good on their payments, however, which is where Nathan Wallace (Anthony Head of Buffy the Vampire Slayer fame) goes into action as one of Geneco's "repo men", brutally reclaiming defaulters organs at scalpel-point.

I loved it! It's basically a very stylized, horror rock opera. I was a little worried about Alexa Vega and Paris Hilton being lead characters in it, but Alexa Vega was marvelous, and Paris Hilton was basically being herself (an heiress to a multibillion-if-not-more-dollar company who's obsessed with fashion and thinks she's capable of singing), so she couldn't really go wrong. Her character didn't sing much either, so you don't really have to hear much of her voice. The songs are incredibly catchy and well written, and the actors had the voices that really brought the songs to life. Imo, the best songs are "Zydrate Anatomy," "Infected," and "Legal Assassin." There wasn't as much gore as expected, but the gore in the movie was great. Lots of someone being cut open and then the Repo Man reaching into his/her abdomen and taking various organs.

I've read/heard a lot of complaints about the film saying "oh the story's too complex and weird!" or "the lyrics were awful and poorly written!" You know what? The movie's called Repo! The Genetic Opera. "Opera" being the key word here. The melodrama and crazy story lines are a staple of classic operas! The story line is just like many classic opera story lines. I read someone's comment that the only opera aspect missing is a mistaken identity, which I find to be totally true. Weird lyrics are also a staple of classic operas. I mean, come on, they sing EVERYTHING in operas. Even "oh no, I've dropped my hat" gets turned into a ridiculously emotional song.

Overall, I loved this movie. The cast was great, the songs were great, and the style of the film was really interesting. I loved the nods to classic opera as well.

Final Verdict: 10/10

4.0 out of 5 stars A Goth-themed treat, January 21, 2009
This review is from: Repo! The Genetic Opera (DVD)
Seemingly forever destined for cult status, Repo! The Genetic Opera is something you have to see to believe. A Goth-themed rock opera directed by Darren Lynn Bousman (Saw II, III, & IV), Repo! tells the tale of a future, Blade Runner-inspired world where massive worldwide organ failures have led to the rise of GeneCo; a biotech company run by Rotti Largo (Paul Sorvino) that lends out organs to those that need them. Failure to pay in full however results in a visit from the Repo Man (Buffy the Vampire Slayer's Anthony Stewart Head), who has no qualms about getting his hands dirty (and bloody) as he takes them back. As the story moves on, we learn of Repo Man's sickly beloved daughter Shilo (Alexa Vega) who learns of some deep buried secrets, and Largo's heirs Amber Sweet (Paris Hilton), Luigi (Bill Moseley), and Pavi (Skinny Puppy's Ogre) who are all warring to be left in charge of their sickly father's empire. The film moves along at a pretty brisk pace, even though its story doesn't always manage to catch up to it. The film's music is spectacular, and the cast (even Paris Hilton believe it or not) is wonderful as well, as Bousman quickly shines well above anything he's ever done with the Saw series. Also featuring Sarah Brightman, Repo! stage vet Terrence Zdunich, and a quick cameo from Joan Jett; Repo! The Genetic Opera is made to be a pure cult classic through and through, and though it definitely isn't for all audiences, the film stands as being something special regardless, and is wholeheartedly worth a look at the very least.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best horror/sci-fi/metal/opera film ever made!, January 29, 2009
This review is from: Repo! The Genetic Opera (DVD)
What to say about "Repo! The Genetic Opera". Well, it's certainly different, I'll give it that. Picture this, if you will: a cinematic dystopia worthy of Blade Runner on a The Rocky Horror Picture Show bender where the gothed-out residents communicate only through song as though they are living in an endless Nightmare Before Christmas number. Now imagine it is directed by the man who brought us 3 out of 5 Saw flicks and features musical contributions from ex-Zombie bassist Blasko and Shawn "Clown" Crahan of Slipknot among many, many others and you'll have an inkling. But wait, there's more! Add Andrew Lloyd Webber's siren of choice Sarah Brightman and Paris Hilton to that mix. Weird enough for ya? "Repo" is nothing if not bizarre and entertaining, but it is missing a few elements that keep it from reaching the lofty heights of Sweeney Todd - The Demon Barber of Fleet Street it could have attained with a little more polish.

The premise is amazing. In the future, mankind is plagued with a rash of organ failures. One man, Rotti Largo, devises a system where an infinite number of replacement organs can be produced and forms the GeneCo corporation to do so. Payment plans are worked out and mankind is saved. Except for the folks who can't pay their exorbinant bills, that is. That's where the Repo Man comes in. You see where this is going? The organs are company property, so delinquent accounts get hunted down like dogs and the organs are taken back. Awesome, no? This and several characters' backstories are given to us in a stylish narrated comic book form that serves the film well. Cool points all around.

Enter our cast. Anthony Stewart Head of Buffy fame is back in our lives and singing again as the twisted Repo Man trying to hold his life together while raising his 17 year old perpetually-ill daughter (Alexa Vega) by himself. This man brings me much joy. Co-creator Terrance Zdunich plays our guide to this twisted tale, known only as Graverobber. Three guesses what it is he does in his spare time. Sarah Brightman lights up the screen as the indentured opera diva Blind Mag, who owes her creepy cyber-eyes to GeneCo. Bill Moseley, Paris Hilton, and Nivek Ogre of the band Skinny Puppy round out the cast as the three pathetic GeneCo heirs. Not too shabby, eh?

"Repo" looks wonderful. Visually arresting, dark and colorful, and just downright cool the look is. There is some serious gore as the repossessions happen mostly onscreen and it is a hell of a treat to see ASH hack away at his victims with such psychotic glee. Even Hilton doesn't distract too much. After all, she's essentially playing herself: a narcissistic plastic surgery addict billionaire heiress bee-yatch who wants to be a singer but whose only actual talent is skankyness. Apparently, the director wanted nothing to do with her but was eventually "charmed" into casting her. Do I really need to spell out what "charmed" means in Hollywoodspeak? Anyhow, Brightman is surprisingly fantastic and Graverobber is just plain cool. A lot to like about this film.

On to the music. It rides the line between contemporary mainstream musical and heavy metal opera and it rides it well. But the fact that there is no dialogue that is not sung eventually becomes an annoyance. Watching a father and daughter argue while singing when there isn't even any music playing can never be uncheesy. I realize that real operas are entirely sung, but in this case it doesn't always work in the film's favor. The songs themselves are typically filled with wonderfully macabre lyrics, rockin' grooves, and flashes of pure brilliance, but are often broken up by more sing-song dialogue when you just wish it would keep on rocking. And there are certainly a few clunkers on the soundtrack. "Seventeen" is meant to be punk, but comes off as very Avril Lavigne-ish. In fact, the scene was only salvaged for me by a surprise cameo from ex-Runaway Joan Jett. The end gets a bit sappy as well, which is hard to do when the set is filled with dead bodies.

2008 was a hell of a year for musical fans of the bizarre variety. Between this, Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, and Sweeney Todd, we have had much to be thankful for. "Repo! The Genetic Opera" is the weakest of the three, but strikes a very different chord. One that I daresay has never been struck before and for that, it deserves much praise. But on the other hand, I feel that the weak link in this is what should always be the strong point of a musical and that is the songs. I LOVE the ideas presented; the metal guitars, twisted humor, and dark presentation, but the music itself really needed some professional smoothing-out and often fails to gather enough momentum to thrill when it should. The story also fails to live up to the strength of the premise. These are the reasons why Repo will likely not be regarded as a classic like Sweeney Todd, Nightmare Before Christmas, Rocky Horror Picture Show, or even the musical episode of Buffy "Once More With Feeling". It's great fun and deserves a shot from any rock and horror fan, but it feels like it could have been so much better.

3 1/2 stars rounded up for going where no musical has gone before.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Epic Goth Musical!!!, January 21, 2009
This review is from: Repo! The Genetic Opera (DVD)
I'm usually not a big fan of musicals, but I decided to give this a chance. I bought this with Max Payne and Saw V a few hours before Obama's Inaugurated. I thought Repo was really good! I love how it had the goth look and feel of the movie! I also loved the style, visuals, and beautiful scenery it had! Darren Lynn Bousman did an awesome job! In the future, an epidemic of organ failures plagues the city, but GeneCo gives organ transplants, but if the person never pays up, GeneCo sends out the Repo Man. Repo Man happens to be the father to Shiloh, played by the beautiful Alexa Vega. The owner of GeneCo, Rotti Largo is dying and wants to give GeneCo to Shiloh. Rotti's children, Luigi, Pavi, and Amber Sweet want to inherit GeneCo, but Rotti hates them. I loved the rock music! I highly recomend REPO! THE GENETIC OPERA!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars It was fairly good . . ., January 16, 2011
This review is from: Repo! The Genetic Opera (DVD)
I'm not a sucker for musicals, but I had seen clips of the movie online and thought that I'd give it a shot. As a film student, I was impressed with the originality of the movie's plot. I wasn't thrilled about most of the music, but there were some that I had to download onto iTunes, such as "Zydrate Anatomy" and "Chase the Morning." Needless to say, the producers of Saw would not touch it if it didn't have gore and this film has PLENTY of it! From organ repossession to making a puppet out of a victim, your bloodlust will be satisfied. And though this movie did not cause me to worship Paris Hilton and overlook her many issues, it did made me have a little (JUST a little) bit more respect for her.

So if you're looking for something different to watch, then REPO: The Genetic Opera should be at the top of the list for movies to watch.

3.0 out of 5 stars Confusing and bewitching, January 22, 2009
This review is from: Repo! The Genetic Opera (DVD)

It is what it is, operatic but with a distinct goth/rock feel. Very little of the dialogue is spoken, it's mostly sung. The look of the whole thing was a mishmash of "Rocky Horror Picture Show," "Moulin Rouge," "Blade Runner" and the Nine Inch Nails music video for "Hurt." So visually it was arresting to be sure.

I didn't like it at all at first, the first 20 or so minutes was pushing me to just turn it off but it grew on me......somehow.

The film's plot (if you can call it that) is we're in the not-too-distant future where the world has seen an epidemic of organ failures and one company offers something of a cure-all. They specialize in organ donors but the catch is if you fail to make your payments, they send a repoman to reclaim the heart, kidney, whatever from you....forcibly.

Obviously there's a strong horror movie vibe going on here with some macabre imagery (and a dash of sci-fi thrown in) and having everything played out in these grand operatic gestures dressed up in trashy goth outfits.....well......it's different. Certainly not something for everyone but I'm willing to bet "Repo! The Genetic Opera" will find a very loyal cult following.

5.0 out of 5 stars Repo! The Genetic Opera, January 21, 2009
This review is from: Repo! The Genetic Opera (DVD)
This movie is AMAZING! Its funny, its well acted, and beautifully filmed. The music is FANTASTIC! Every song makes you want to get up and sing along.
The only thing thats unenjoyable about this movie is that it ends.
I wish there had been more advertising for this film because its a must see for all. Whether you love it or hate it you wont be able to stop talking about it!
The actors and Actresses do a more than amazing job in this film, pulling you into the world of rock and organ re-possesion. You'll want to watch this film again and again.
If you're anything like me, i suggest you buy two copies, because you never know when you'll need a backup!

3.0 out of 5 stars she does have a couple of good songs, included her character's death song, January 6, 2015
This review is from: Repo! The Genetic Opera (DVD)
Bought this because Sarah Brightman is in the cast. Unfortunately, many of her scenes were cut ( so I read in reviews ). she does have a couple of good songs, included her character's death song. She is absolutely beautiful and has the only pretty music in the movie. It's a rock opera based on an earlier play. It had a limited release and was not pushed by Lionsgate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Once in a lifetime, January 13, 2014
This review is from: Repo! The Genetic Opera (DVD)
Incredibly awesome. This movie made every emotion possible. Punk Rock Opera! YES! The songs were amazing, the storyline was pure genius. This is a must own.

Repo! The Genetic Opera
Repo! The Genetic Opera by Darren Lynn Bousman (DVD - 2009)
$9.98 $5.96