Reporting Kindle Babies as a Problem

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 19, 2010 9:29:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2010 12:34:35 PM PDT
Leenie says:
What if we reported the Kindle cry babies by clicking the "report" button next to their review. Not only on this book's review, but on all reviews the Kindle babies skew. Then, maybe Amazon would do something about them and their ratings would not effect the over all rating. Just a thought.

Posted on Mar 19, 2010 10:11:46 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 28, 2010 6:08:05 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2010 12:28:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2010 12:35:34 PM PDT
Leenie says:
I didn't mean with an email, I have done that too. I meant clicking "REPORT" button next to their review & reporting them.

Posted on Mar 19, 2010 1:18:05 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 28, 2010 6:08:13 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 19, 2010 1:33:00 PM PDT
J. Potter says:
Facalbi, I can't disagree more with that last post. If the reviews are to remain a public service (well, if they ever were) then they need to be open to all. I often use Amazon review to extol the virtues of a product I just happened to buy somewhere else. The reviews should in fairness be relevant to content. What you're effectively suggesting makes the review system a private club; library patrons, used book buyers, etc, would be locked out.

This is only one more incidence of what appears to be bias on the part of Amazon. Are they giving into the dark side in order to attempt to control the marketplace, thereby economically "double-dipping," seeking concessions from producers as well as purchases from consumers? I hope not.

Posted on Mar 19, 2010 1:56:35 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 28, 2010 6:08:19 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2010 2:37:01 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 28, 2010 6:09:24 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2010 5:37:05 PM PDT
Grinznmore says:
Tantrum? Your extreme choice of words undermines your argument.
Amazon allows reasonable free speech and treats people like adults with varying opinions and the latitude to express themselves as they deem fit. Kudos to Amazon.
Let people express their views and let the customer decide.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2010 5:57:53 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 19, 2010 6:04:58 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2010 6:05:21 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 28, 2010 6:08:27 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2010 7:09:58 PM PDT
Grinznmore says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2010 8:17:22 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 28, 2010 6:08:36 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 19, 2010 8:22:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2010 8:43:22 PM PDT
J. Potter says:
Facalbi,

Trying to point out that your solution isn't. Instituting a poll tax wouldn't prevent 'off-topic' reviews. In this case, I could buy the book, and then post a 1-star review based on being 'forced' to buy a print copy, or, if the situation were reversed, buy the ebook and complain that I really wanted a hardback/paperback/audiobook/clay tablet. Or anything else for that matter. I'd rather see irritating speech than pay-for-play speech.

Grinzmore,
Jeff Bezos is an intriguing guy, but don't confuse the prime mover with the present state of creation! I'd like to believe he's deeply involved in the day-to-day operations of Amazon, but like you said, he's busy building rockets and adding to that Wiki bio. The giants of the web are more corporate by the day. Amazon has many conflicting interests. Their ratings and customer generated reviews are very powerful. Power is very tempting. Keep your eyes peeled: I was attempting to report some SPAM abuse earlier at another site, and at the bottom of the page was an 'agreement,' conveniently pre-clicked for me, to opt-in for third-party marketing. You try to report spam, and they try to trick you into agreeing to be spammed! Keep your eyes open!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2010 8:26:03 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 28, 2010 6:09:36 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 19, 2010 10:08:00 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 28, 2010 6:08:55 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2010 7:40:02 AM PDT
Leenie says:
That would make a real difference.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2010 5:21:22 PM PDT
MLIS2012 says:
I strongly recommend Amazon add an additional button:

This is not a review.

We can use them for whining about kindles, shipping issues and other problems that are completely unrelated to reviews of books, DVDs, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2010 5:24:30 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 28, 2010 6:09:03 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2010 12:34:47 PM PDT
S. Smith, that is a fine idea. My concern, as a customer who likes to look at SUBSTANTIVE reviews of products I buy online, is that my time is wasted by all the non-reviews. Seeing a summary that lots of folks see a review as NOT a review would let me (and like-minded customers) quickly skip the purported review, and save time.

This would, IMO, help everyone, including Amazon.

Posted on Apr 25, 2010 6:00:04 PM PDT
Why would you even buy a book based on the rating?

Sheeple much?

Posted on May 11, 2010 4:11:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2010 4:24:18 PM PDT
I agree that it's ridiculous and misleading to give a 1-star rating to a book you haven't read just because it isn't available in your preferred format. I looked through pages of reviews of The Big Short, wondering why there were so many 1-star reviews when there were twice as many 5-star reviews and relatively few 4-, 3-, and 2-star reviews. I started out expecting all the 1-star reviews to come from die-hard conservatives upset that the book presents facts that don't agree with their "free market will fix everything" ideologies -- and some of them were -- but the great majority of 1-star reviews are from people who haven't even read the book, griping about how it's not available for Kindle...yet.

How about if hundreds of us start giving 1-star reviews to hardcovers we haven't read because we're miffed that they're not available in paperback? We could also start giving 1 star to every book we haven't read because it's not available as an audio download. Or because it doesn't have any "Look Inside" content on the Amazon site. If we all work at it and get creative -- and if we're willing to be as churlish as the Kindle gripers -- we can make every rating on Amazon.com meaningless! And then, of course, we'll have won...uh...what, exactly?

I agree with the person who suggested Amazon add a "This is not a review" button for "reviews" from people who have nothing to say about the actual product, but just want to whine about its format, gripe about shipping problems, or put forth their political views. And it's a button that should be accessible by the original poster -- in case he's sensible enough to click it as a courtesy to the rest of us -- and to the rest of us. If enough people click "This isn't a review" on somebody's Kindle rant or political screed, maybe an editor could review it and either remove it or ensure that it's not counted toward the product's rating.

(Incidentally, I have the same problem with people who give five-star reviews to a book they haven't read yet -- or a product that hasn't come out yet -- just because they're sooo excited about it. We should be able to mark those as "Not a review," too.)

In the mean time, I don't think it's unreasonable to click "Report abuse" on a 1-star "review" from someone skewing the overall rating because the book's not on Kindle yet. In fact, maybe the temporary solution is to post your own 5-star review that says "I haven't read this book yet; I'm giving it 5 stars to counter a 1-star review from a Kindle owner who hasn't read it, either."
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Mar 19, 2010
Latest post:  May 11, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions