5.0 out of 5 stars High among many, December 10, 2006
Thomas F. Dillingham (Columbia, Missouri USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Requiem (Audio CD)
In spite of all the kvetching about whether there is any "real Mozart" in the Requiem, it remains one of my favorites among his works, and I have listened to at least ten different recorded performances--Walter, Herrweghe, Corboz, Marriner, et al. Christian Thielemann, who is not noted as a Mozart conductor, here contributes a major contender for top place among the recorded versions. This is primarily because of the quality of the orchestral playing (especially the brass), which is truly outstanding. His interpretation is large, even monumental, and he brings out the power of the work. The soloists are good; Sybilla Rubens sings also on the Herreweghe recording, and gives a fine performance; Braun, Davislim, and Zeppenfeld all provide above average singing, but it is the orchestra that places this recording among the best available for this work. I would not set aside any of the others I have in my collection, but add this one to it with confidence that I will continue to enjoy hearing it. I recommend it for anyone who loves this work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Leading the new old fashion, January 17, 2007
This review is from: Requiem (Audio CD)
Christian Thieleman has positioned himself as the echt Deutsche traditionalist, a sort-of Karl bohm redux. This new Mozart Requiem from Munich would please any fan of Bohm, Clemens Krauss, or Ferdinand Leitner. The choral and orchestral forces are large and well disciplined. Execution is robust, although one can heear that the Munich Phil. is not on a par with a truly great ensemble. Tempos are on the brisk side by traditional standards, and the overall effect is less cumbersome than renditions of the same stripe from Karajan and Giulini. I'd rank Thielemann's reading with good ones by Solti (also live and suprisingly moving) and Kertesz.

The fly in the ointment for me is that Thielemann remains so plain-faced. You cannot tell that this is a religious work. In the name of precision and discipline we've lost the emotional connection. I'm not surprised, becasue Thielemann's recent live Parsifal was equally adept and spiritualy empty. The vocal soloists are all unknown to me but sing well. The dition is presumably the standard Sussmayer.

Requiem
Requiem by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Audio CD - 2006)