5.0 out of 5 stars Table Read for the novel Rescue at Pine Ridge
Published on August 7, 2012 by Actor Jah Shams

1.0 out of 5 stars Second review due to Erich Hicks having my first removed.
Erich Hicks was exposed for his racism, spam and trolling on an Old West Facebook page.
But here is a review of his book:
The coward and racists Erich M Hicks, hated that his racism was exposed for all to see. He removed a negative review of his garbage of a book that was so badly researched and written that the pages should be used as toilet paper.
Published 16 months ago by Tombstone

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Table Read for the novel Rescue at Pine Ridge, August 7, 2012
A table read is when actors get together and read the screenplay as the characters. Ironically the screenplay was written before the novel. We did the table read in front of a audience... They Loved It. I read for the character Trooper Augustus Walley. It was an amazing feeling to find myself part of the action. I was able to sit down and talk with the author Erich Martin Hicks, he has a true and personal insight into the history of the Buffalo Soldiers... I'm enjoying the novel now. Purchase a piece of American History... Listen out for Film/ Mini Series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ride Along With The Triumphal Charge Of The Buffalo Soldiers Of The Ninth Cavalry Regiment, December 4, 2014
This review is from: Rescue at Pine Ridge: Based on a True American Story (Paperback)
This book was a good read and an entertaining and informative one. The author manages to transport the reader [in time and place] from the comfort of his or her easy chair to America's "Wild, Wild West," during the violent period of armed conflict with Native Americans from 1866 to 1891. This is a critically important account of the bravery and heroism of the "Buffalo Soldiers" of the Ninth Cavalry Regiment, the all-black enlisted men, along with their white officers. We get to listen in to the dreams and aspirations of those black "horse soldiers," which, in actuality, would be no different from their white counterparts, i.e., to serve their country honorably, to live and survive to fight another day, to win the respect of their fellow soldiers and a nation that de-valued and marginalized them, and finally to manage to make it to retirement and a decent and rewarding life afterwards. The empathy of the men of the Ninth Cavalry toward their Native American foes, with whom they engage in running and deadly violent battles on horseback, is told with great compassion and feeling for the inevitable plight of the Native Americans who are destined for a loss of their way of life. We hear and feel the stings of the antipathy of whites toward the men of the Ninth Cavalry. The blatant racism and disrespect exhibited by both white civilians as well as military are quite instructive regarding the resistance to full equality and fair treatment of African-Americans, even those who risk their lives for a country that does not fully value them. Yet, through all of this and notwithstanding the racial slurs and doubts of their abilities, the Ninth Cavalry in the end, rides triumphantly to the rescue of the all-white troopers of the famed Seventh Cavalry Regiment at the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation in the final days of 1890. The detailed accounts of the Seventh Cavalry's participation in the massacre at Wounded Knee are quite disconcerting, to say the least. Moreover, we also learn of the Seventh Cavalry's subsequent debacle in getting itself ambushed and pinned down by the Sioux at Pine Ridge, nearly precipitating yet another "last stand" as with Custer (were it not for the timely winter ride and rescue by the Ninth Cavalry). The book contains a good descriptive narrative of "boots and saddles" and other such tidbits of the drills and military maneuvers of the cavalry of that time. However, more descriptive language might have been employed in regard to the few women who come into the story. I realize this is a story about the men of the Ninth Cavalry and women are only peripheral to the story to be told, but it might have been nice to give us more information, for example about the black women who are mentioned only in passing, on basically two occasions. One black woman is a laundress and the other is the lady friend of one of the troopers in the Ninth Cavalry. Both are only described as "a pretty colored girl." We are not told any more. Yet, in contrast, the physical descriptions of the men in the book are quite detailed, down to which side they parted their hair. I don't mean to nitpick, but . . . All in all, I enjoyed the read and would recommend this book highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars EXCELLENT READ, March 3, 2013
EXCELLENT READ. Really enjoyed this book. Thanks to the author for writing about some of our forgotten American History, the BUFFALO SOLDIERS. Would love to see this book a must read in high schools.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding view of history!, February 15, 2013
The author has brilliantly captured a focal point of history that many would never have known. Through his eyes and research, the reader is able to experience the tenets of hatred and humiliation, joy and pride of the 9th Calvary of Buffalo Soldiers. Although it takes a minute to adjust to the author's writing style, once engaged, the story is a page-mover, from beginning to end. I especially appreciate the artifacts included in the bibliography at the end of the book. Historically--a powerful story that needs to be told over and over again. Grammatically--a proofreader with a fresh eye is needed to overcome some of the errors--though not glaring, give the reader pause to determine what is meant. From what I understand from those who read, Fifty Shades of Gray, grammatical accuracy plays no part in telling a good story. It is the passion that engages and holds the reader's attention.

Keep writing and sharing the history through your special lens so we can see what you see!

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing book, January 11, 2013
I read Rescue at Pine Ridge in two days and struggled, in those two days, to put the book down. What an amzing read this book turned out to be. I highly recommend this book be implemented into our schools. Erich's portrayl of this part of our history is astounding. Throughout the book I almost felt like I was right there sitting with the cavallry awaiting our next orders. I could almost smell the buffalo hide coats they received for winter and I could almost feel the cold in my bones. I was captivated from page one and, with Erich's amazing style of writing, remained captivated through to the end. I highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for Rescue at Pine Ridge, January 9, 2013
RESCUE at PINE RIDGE: Based on a True American Story, is an excellent novel. The author takes great care in his use of words allowing us to actually feel as though we were there. I give it FIVE STARS as I believe it's time that we expand our knowledge past the point we were taught through School and College. There's always more to the actual story but we are only told the truncated story. My Grandfather taught me to keep digging to fully understand the story. A College Professor also said in his lectures that there is ALWAYS more to the story and challenged us to find it. This book appears thoroughly researched and it gives us a great view of the Buffalo Soldier, their life, their importance in the West, how others viewed the Black as a Blue Coat, as well as their contribution to History. This novel is an Excellent, Entertaining, Easy read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rescue at Pine Ridge, December 18, 2012
This is an outstanding book. I recommend "Rescue at Pine Ridge" by Mr. Erich Hicks to anyone and everyone looking to read a great book with a great story. This is a great piece of history. The history of the african american is hard to find and good information is even harder. Mr. Hicks has done a great deal of research and done a outstanding job putting this book together. Thank you for sharing this book with us all. I am a retired United States Marine and a person that know history is very improtant. Thank you, Semper Fi

5.0 out of 5 stars Rescue at Pine Ridge, September 20, 2011
H. Crawford (Prince Georges County, Maryland) - See all my reviews
I just finished reading this marvelous novel. As the web master for the Greater Washington, DC Chapter and for the El Paso, Texas Chapter of the 9th & 10th (Horse) Cavalry Association, I review, study, write, lecture and read about the four Buffalo Soldier regiments on a daily basis. Some of my best research is drawn from the organizational returns filed by the officers upon their return from patrols, so this novel brought to life those same dry Army reports. Mr. Hicks' novel was akin to viewing the great John Ford's motion picture, "Sergeant Rutledge", except in written form. Bravo Mr. Hicks, I thoroughly enjoyed reading about the amazing Major Guy V. Henry, the 9th Cavalry and that exceptional unit known as Troop K, 9th Cavalry (Horse). Using this novel as the screeplay, with no need for editing, would make a tremendous motion picture. Can you imagine today's top actors bringing this story to us in blu ray. Oboy!!!!

Trooper H. Crawford
Clinton, Maryland

5.0 out of 5 stars Rescue at pine ridge, October 5, 2012
This a very good read. all high schools,colleges and universities should make this a requirement. This is a part of the military you don't hear must about. These were very brave and strong soldiers they had to put up with a lot racism but they still got the job done!!!. You willn't be disappointed with this book. If we don't keep this part of history alive, it will get lost.

5.0 out of 5 stars "Rescue at Pine Ridge", October 5, 2012
I live in West Texas, not far from Fort Davis, where a large contigency of Buffalo Soldiers had been stationed. My family visited the fort often, but there was little information offered about those units. I was surprised that there was so much I should've known in this book! It is action packed with wonderful characters, some of whom had just been names to me before. It only took me two days to read it, and it would be great if the author could write another novel about these brave soldiers. It's a great read for anyone interested in American history.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Rescue at Pine Ridge: Based on a True American Story
Rescue at Pine Ridge: Based on a True American Story by Erich Martin Hicks (Paperback - November 14, 2008)
$19.95 $17.05