Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Rescuing Sprite: A Dog Lover's Story of Joy and Anguish
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on November 5, 2007
I could not stop reading this great book, and finished it on the day I received it.

It was very therapeutic, and I wish I would have had it a year and a half ago when I lost my beloved companion "Rover." Any animal lover who has been through the anguish of a sick pet would benefit from this book, and you know you are not alone in your anguish.

Although it broke my heart and opened a lot of old wounds, some quite difficult memories of my own pain, it also helped me to realize I am not alone, especially since I felt extremely guilty, such as Mark did, of feeling so distraught over an animal's death.

I thank you Mark, and I know Sprite thanks you for keeping his memory alive, and for bringing awareness to all of the wonderful animals that are out there in the shelters and to the wonderful people who work there.
review image
55 comments| 247 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is a book about love. It's a gift to all of us who love our family members who happen to be furry or hairy. They come to us for such a short time but bring us untold joy and happiness and fun. They love us no matter what. They love us if we're fat or ugly or smelly or in a bad mood. They don't care if we're rich or poor, what color our skin is, what our politics or religion are. They only care about us. And they ask so little in return.

Mark has captured that love in this incredible book. While you may or may not agree with Mark's politics or his rhetoric, he is a kind, decent man. And he absolutely loves his dogs. He considers them part of his family. This book is not about his politics or his take on current affairs. It's about the love and loss of his beloved Sprite.

Those of us who have had pets know the great, deep love we feel for them. And most all of us know the deep, sickening pain of losing them. We know the depth of pain when we are faced with the choice to put them to sleep. We have so many mixed emotions. Sadly, that pain never leaves us.

I watched my wonderful old faithful dog, Sague, die a few years ago. I think of him many times each day and still miss him. I still feel the pain, almost as fresh and raw as it was going through his illness and death. I can remember the look in his old, kind, smart eyes.

If I didn't have my dogs and cats in my house, it would no longer be a home. That's what our pets give us.

So if you've ever loved a pet, especially a dog, but any pet, you need this book. You need it so you will not feel alone and so you will understand that we all share this deep abiding love for our dear companions. We also all share the deep pain when we lose them. The strongest of us are torn apart by their leaving us. It's a terrible loss. And it helps to share it with others. That's the power of this book.

This is a special book. It touches the soul. It touches the raw part of each of us, the part that we all have if we're normal, caring human beings.

This is the book of the year, if not the decade. Buy it and feel the love and warmth and be grateful for every day you have with your wonderful pets.
11 comment| 170 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2007
I believe all dog owners should read the book and the small note below.

To Dog Owners Everywhere: A Dog's Plea
Treat me kindly, my beloved friend for no heart in all this world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick for though I should lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me learn.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail, when your footsteps fall upon my waiting ear.

Please take me inside when it is cold and wet for I am a domesticated animal, no longer accustomed to bitter elements.

I ask no greater glory than to have the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth.

Keep my pan filled with water for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.

Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, wiliing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And my friend, when I am old and no longer enjoy good health and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going, I am not having fun.

Please see that my trusting life is taken gently.

I shall leave this earth knowing with the last breath I draw that my fate was always safest in your hands.

Author Unknown
11 comment| 121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 4, 2007
Mark's story is a sad tale that I can relate to. Mark has a talent of reliving his experiences and putting them down in words. Rescuing Sprite makes me feel both saddened and uplifted at the same time. I find myself cherishing my pets all the more as a result. I highly recommend this book to all pet owners.
on October 28, 2007
Unbelievable book and a very easy read. It will help you deal with your own pet loss and will bring you closer to your own pet. It's a very intimate look into Mark's own life and the joy that Sprite brought to him and his family.
Every pet lover needs to read this book!!
on October 24, 2007
Great Book! Sharing such an intimate part of family life is a difficult endeavor to fulfill. 'Rescuing Sprite' certainly fills the bill with inspirational entertainment. Many dog and pet owners will benefit by this meaningful story, gaining devotional love and care for their pets.

Sprite & Pepsi prove that pets are members of the family by contributing their personalities full of love and loyalty with a positive atmosphere. 'Rescuing Sprite' relates these attributes emotionally, portraying the rewards of dog ownership as well as the grief of losing a loved pet.
review image
44 comments| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 29, 2007
A heart rendering tale that relates to all dog lovers. Any of us who own dogs know that we will probably outlive our four-legged companions. This doesn't make their passing any easier. Kudos to Mark Levin for sharing this beautiful story about his beloved dog, Sprite. I wholeheartedly urge anyone who has ever had a dog to read this book.
on November 4, 2007
"Rescuing Sprite" tells the story of devotion and caring that pet owners can fully understand and non-pet owners will want to grasp hold of. The unbounded loyalty the family dog has for its loving family is told in a way that few before have done. Mark Levin has retold his family's stirring tale of adopting a dog from a humane society's foster parent program and the painful anguish of having to face the inescapable truth that their beloved member of the family was dying and hard decisions had to be made. Mark's book will open the eyes and hearts of his readers to the joy of accepting these lonely animals, as they do so much more than befriend, they foster loving memories that span the lives of all they come in contact with. My family and I have our own `Sprite-like' stories and this book puts it all in perspective. Well done Mark!!
on November 5, 2007
Rescuing Sprite is much more than a book about a dog. It's a book about life, death, compassion, and taking time to cherish every moment of life. I found the book easy to read; I read it in two days, which is fast for me. Levin does such an excellent job in the book that I almost found myself sitting along side of his beloved Sprite through all of the ups and downs. I honestly smiled, laughed, and cried like a baby. Beyond the basic story, Levin discusses the grieving process in very real terms, and shares feelings that all of us will experience in life. A fantastic book!
on November 5, 2007
I read this book cover-to-cover the day I received it. As someone who prided himself as having the only set of dry eyes during movies such as Titanic, this book made my eyes well up with tears. It is a heart-warming depiction of a man and his best friend. It gives us a glimpse into the heart and mind of a kind man who invests all his emotions into a defenseless creature who has no ability to repay him for his kindness other than with the love and loyalty a dog can give.

I loved it, and I'm going to order more for friends to give for the holidays.