Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon November 1, 2008
By the time I cracked RESENTING THE HERO open, I'd been sufficiently warned not to be deterred by the ridiculous cover and anemic title. It's difficult to get past the outside, they said, but persevere you must. The cover is truly cringe-worthy. But the contents are not. The story has its laughable parts. But they're meant to be funny. So that's all right.

Lee (short for Dunleavy) Mallorough has trained her entire life to be a Shield. Shields work together with their Source counterparts. Sources have an uncanny ability to detect natural disasters and avert them. Unfortunately, channeling that much power is guaranteed to kill a Source, unless he or she is bonded to a Shield, whose job it is to protect the Source's mind for the duration of the channeling. A few times a year, unbound Sources and Shields are brought together for The Choosing. Tradition has it that the first time a proper pair sets eyes on each other, the bonding occurs and they both just know. And to make The Choosing even more nerve wracking, the pairing is a lifelong bond. When one dies, so does the other. So, yeah. No pressure.

Suffice it to say Lee is less than thrilled when she looks up into the eyes of Taro (short for Shintaro) Karish, the infamous golden boy of the Source-and-Shield world, and just knows. The unlikely and, on Lee's part, completely unwilling pair are immediately assigned duty in High Scape--the most hazardous city in their world. Shortly after they arrive, a series of inexplicably powerful disasters strike the city, cutting down all but the newest Pair. Lee and Taro are left alone to protect the city and discover the force at the root of the disasters. Moira J. Moore has set up a rather unique fantasy world and two interesting, complex characters whose strengths and insecurities drive the story. I liked Lee and Taro and the fact that things didn't feel rushed. This is the first in a series and there is plenty of room for development and exploration, inside and out.
on November 15, 2007
Dunleavy Mallorough is a shield, a psychic who shields a more powerful psychic while he or she manipulates magical energy usually to prevent natural disasters. When it comes to be Dunleavy's time to be chosen (a process similar to lifebonding), she is shocked and horrified when she is bonded to Karish, a young man whom she assumes is irresponsible and vain. When Karish is abducted Dunleavy decides to rescue him with unexpected results.

I enjoyed this book. Moore's voice is entertaining and while not especially original, is a new take on the lifebonding issue I have not seen before. There is a certain 'herald of Valdemar' feel to the story. Bisexuality is quite common amongst characters and gayness is dealt with frank candor.

My big issue with the story was Dunleavy herself. I felt she was rather unlikable especially where Karesh is concerned. Dunleavy treats Karesh at best with indifference and worse as though he is a child incapable of telling right from wrong. Though in part this is the result of her training, she seemed an observant intelligent individual so I found it rather grating that she kept making so many assumptions about him.

I also felt the cover of this book is entirely inappropriate. It makes Karesh look like an idiot and the heroine look like she was a slave. At no point did she ever clean Karesh's boots, nor do I think she would if she could.

Overall, this was an entertaining novel, that could've been better if I warmed up to Dunleavy. I prefered Karesh to her hands down. 4 stars.
on March 5, 2006
Found this book by chance and finished it in two reasonable reading sessions. I enjoyed the premise of the Shields and Sources, the story of the disasters, but the books lacks some necessary character development to make it a five star effort. In fact, it feels like a short story that was lengthened to short novel. It could have been twice as long, it was that intriguing, but the author stayed with the tale. I just don't know why the big issue of resentment, nor why Taro the Source had such a reputation for being a partying cad. Don't know how or why Aidan fell in love with Lee the main charater, but frankly I enjoyed the ride as it was. The story line was interesting and well developed, and the writing was really well done, very natural first person tone, and viewpoint-- I think this bodes well for this author as she writes more. I'm really looking forward to the next effort in the story, which will likely flesh out some of the backstories, and build more depth in this new world.
VINE VOICEon September 20, 2010
I understand why so many readers loved "Resenting the Hero." It's a pleasant read and heroine Lee (short for "Dunleavy") is a likeable protagonist with just a few minor faults to make her "human." It's easy to keep reading and enjoy the ride. There are, however, a few issues with the story, which is why I am giving it only 3 start. First and foremost, the magic system, and the basics of the magic wielders "sources" and "shields," are incompletely explained, and didn't make a lot of sense to me. It seemed as though Ms. Moore was mostly interested in the story itself and didn't spend enough time working on the some of the important underpinnings. Once I was into the story about 100 pages, I knew that "shields" needed to be guarded from music because it could make them crazy (huh?) but on the other hand, they studied a form of "dancing" (to music, or at least drums) something like balance beam gymnastics. I knew that a "source" would likely die if he or she did the sourcing without a shield (but not why, really) , that spontaneous bonding of sources and shields was highly dangerous (but not why), and that bonded sources and shields should not have sex. This latter point I suspect was added to create a conflict that will eventually be resolved in favor of the two leads ignoring the rule.

Next, the idea of removing children from the real world to a boarding school where they are thoroughly locked up from the real world until adulthood doesn't seem very likely or smart -- how will they learn what they need to know when they are released?

Without a coherent explanation of all of the above, the story lost a lot of its punch. Once the rules aren't solid, the reasons for things happening as they do don't seem adequate. And then when the leads show that they have powers that are out of the ordinary, it doesn't seem as surprising as it should, since I didn't understand what they should be able to do in the first place.

Despite all of the above, I enjoyed Lee enough to read the next book in the series, and hope that some of the holes are filled.

finally, on the hideous cover (another reader called it "cringeworthy" and I agree) I don't understand why Ace always has such awful covers. I have been reading Ace paperbacks for a long time and they always have covers that the editors should have tossed into the trash. I one-color cover with the book's title would be better than what they usually use.
on July 26, 2013
This entire series is horribly ill-served by the description blurbs that make it sound like the most tacky stereotypical romance/adventure series EVER. It's really not; the writing is good, the characterization is great, the plot is interesting and, of course, there is the romance and adventure in there to add spice. This is the first book in the series, so dive on in, you'll enjoy it.
on May 22, 2006
I picked this title up on a whim and found myself engaged and entertained the whole way through. Once you get past the ridiculously inappropriate cover you find a fascinating story that leaves you wanting more. The author has done a good job of mixing lighthearted banter and mystery all set in a world that is strange enough to be interesting but not so foreign that you can't understand what is going. I can't wait to find out what our protagonists are going to do next.
on July 12, 2015
This is a quick and fun read. I found it when I was looking for female characters in fantasy novels and gave it a chance because on one webpage it was labeled as the series having the most unfortunate covers, which when you see some of the romance style ones you really understand.
VINE VOICEon October 3, 2009
I thought this was a very light read and would be funny, I was wrong. This is a romance that has a serious overtone and I detest the cover which makes a mockery of the story. She did think of him as a dilitante when she was bonded to him, but she soon finds out that he is more than he acts like. The word is acts, for some reason he is much more than she expects. I liked it alot, and I bought the other books in the series. My only problem with this author is that she leaves cliffhangers at the end of every book. I thought that buying all four books would help me reach an ending I could live with. However, I still do not like authors who write, "CLIFFHANGERS". I do not know if I will buy anymore of her books.

Dunleavy has been raised in an acadamy for shields. She is very naive, and strong willed, and stubborn. She is also 21 when she is matched with her Source. The sources are trained in a seperate acadamy. At graduation they are introduced to the graduating Sources. Most will bond, sometimes there is noone who matches one of the Sources, but there are more shields. So there are always Shields who do not have Sources. Dunleavy is bonded at meeting with "Taro" or Lord Shintaro Karish.

Shintaro has a very tarnished reputation for being loved by all, partying, and let's not forget he is beautiful. Just the thing Dunleavy doesnot want. She wants to be useful and stay busy doing what she was trained to do. She is determined not to fall under his spell. Thus we have a sense of the attraction between the two, but not the closure.

The story of their relationship is interwoven with the mystery. The mystery is good, Sources are able to channel the horrible weather and disasters that are common on this world. However, they need Shields to protect them while they channel. Suddenly the city they protect is hit with something so different and strong it kills most of the other pairs and only Taro and Dunleavy are strong enough to channel it.

I liked the story, I liked the mystery. After all I bought all 4 books. But if I had known it was "cliffhangers" I don't think I would have bought the first one. Nevertheless, the book is good and I am caught in the cycle. If you like a good read and can stand to order the other four books, ( Cause you will like these characters ), then I recommend this series.
on August 11, 2007
I really enjoyed this book! At first, I wasn't even going to read it because all the other reviews said that the romantic aspect of the book wasn't developed all the way. Also, the cover made it look much more like a comdey. However, I actually liked how the author developed the relationship between the two characters, and wasn't dissapointed thanks to the other reviews. The relationship was fun and witty,and Lee's sarcasm made me laugh throughout. The author also does an amazing job at showing the different sides to an argument and lets the reader decide for themselves about the system instated for the Pairs.
I felt like the summary on the back of the book was a bit inadequete, because the dislike Lee feels for Karish only lasts for a little while. They seem to get over their differences pretty early on in the book. For the most part, Lee tries to figure out what caused the catastrophic weather that wiped out all the other Pairs while trying to find Karish when he has been kidnapped.
Some parts of the book did confuse me. The people in the world seem much more laid back with phrases such as 'my love', and 'darling' when flirting, and doesn't mean anything deep. The gender relationships are also more laid back, but this is not emphasized. Also, I felt like the author didn't explain some things in full, like the Paris' powers, but thankfully it does get cleared up as the book goes on.
This book is definitely one to read over and over again!
on October 8, 2010
I really liked this book. I've read it at least 4 times, and I'm sure I will read it some more. By the end of the story I fell in love with the characters and their wit, humor, and sincerity.

That being said, the book had some drawbacks that rate it at only 4 stars for me. I thought the first chapter was a real downer, since it's all the set-up for the world and the way things work. While that's great information, I hated getting it all at once and all up front. Then the story is written in first person. While I usually don't have a problem with this, I thought the main character's inner thoughts got annoying once in a while. This is something that is fixed in the second book, however, so I can overlook it for the most part.

The cover art pretty much has nothing to do with the story. I know this has been mentioned before, and I didn't take points off because it wasn't the author's fault that the cover art sucked and the title was kind of hokey. And the title didn't have that much to do with the actual story either, I would have expected better of ACE Fantasy, really.

Aside from all that, the story is actually pretty good, and for the first book in a series, it did its job in not only being a good read but getting me interested in reading the next book as well.