4.0 out of 5 stars Concerning age...
In a general way I think all wine kit manufacturers fudge the imaginary speed with which their products can be ready to serve to guests. And the universal fault of new wine makers is impatience.

Published 18 months ago by casual camper

3.0 out of 5 stars Reserve Du Chateau Cab review
Published 22 months ago by Jackie

4.0 out of 5 stars Concerning age..., March 17, 2013

I've been making wine for 3 years now & begin to have a decent reputation among friends. I offer the following advice in hopes that more experienced wine makers will add to or correct it. And hope beginners will find it helpful.

Wine making is insanely easy! You just buy the best juice you can afford and ferment it without contaminating it. But the cardinal sin is to drink it too soon. According to my brief experience the following are apropriate:

Apple wine - bottle between 1-3 months after start of fermentation & age 6 months more before drinking.
Cherry blueberry elderberry etc. - bottle @ 6-9 months and begin to consume after 1 year.
"4week" white wine kits - purchase at a discount & pour directly into sink as they're unfit for decent people.
"6 & 8 week" white wine kits - bottle at 3-4 months and begin to consume after 1 year. These can be good.
"4 week" red wine kits - bottle at 6 months and begin to consume after 1 year.
"6 & 8 week" red wine kits - The Best! Bottle at 1 year. Set aside in a cool place for another year. Tell your lazy son to stay out of it. Then slowly begin to enjoy.

Someone with 10 years or more experience please chime in!

UPDATE NOV 29: Further experience with premium white wines demands bottling around 9 months. The reason is gas. A soda would go flat overnight. But wine has miraculous gas retention capability. Even if sparklingly clear it might be gassy - which effects taste and visual impressions. I cannot stir it all out with the drill mounted agitator & really don't think it's right to agitate too vigorously. So I got more carboys and wait...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wine kit, July 27, 2011
I've been making wine from kits for almost 10 years now and these kits are very nice. With the discount for "Subscribe and Save" you can't beat them. I've purchased several of them now and have had no problems at all. They come complete with real corks, labels, and foil caps packed into a plastic bucket. Note: The bucket is not a food grade container and can't be used as a fermenter so don't make that assumption. I'm sure they only ship in a bucket because if they shipped in a box they would get destroyed due to the weight. Great kits and a great deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new favorite kit, February 13, 2013
This review is from: Reserve Du Chateau 4 Week Wine Kit, Chilean Cabernet Merlot, 17.5-Pound Box (Grocery)
I gave this wine a chance for the first time a few months ago, and I was definitely impressed. It's semi-dry and very smooth. I believe it of a higher quality than the vino italiano brands on amazon. It's worth the extra 10 bucks or so for sure.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice medium bodied wine, April 4, 2011
Jay G. "Jay" (Baton Rouge, LA United States) - See all my reviews
1 year old. A nice medium bodied drinker. I did make this to 6 gallons and used some cabernet skins, 2nd run, to give it a little help. Very pleased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, September 1, 2013
I've only been making wine for about one year. Finally beginning to feel confident with it. I go to wine tastings on a monthly basis. I'm not saying I'm an expert, but can definitely tell what good wine tastes like.

Anyways - this stuff is amazing! I used to make my own wine with grape juice, sugar, etc. This kit was so cheap that it's basically as much as if you buy the stuff yourself - except it tastes so much better!

2 things I did differently: I added 3 ounces of oak chips during primary - and made 5 gallons instead of 6 with it. The result: Rich, dry wine that is 15% alcohol content. Bold - yet goes down so easy that it could be dangerous if you didn't know when to stop. And this is before I aged it! This will easily taste like a $20 bottle of wine.

The only con: I went to order more and the price skyrocketed on this (it's over 10 bucks more now) Is it still worth it? Yes. However, it did prevent me from ordering more. I want to explore other kits that are cheaper.

BTW - use a hydrometer daily. It claimed to take 7 days to ferment in primary - but my fermentation was done after 4 days. The sooner you get it out of the sediment, the better!

Any questions feel free to comment. I'd love to help and understand that it can be intimidating at first to start wine making - but it is so fun. You can tweak things here and there to give it your own signature taste. I consider it an art :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Reserve Du Chateau Cab review, October 29, 2012
Have been making wine for forty years, both from grapes and from kits. If you want a decent table wine for daily consumption, this kit does a good job. Not very good right after bottling, but after it ages a little (few months) it is respectable. As the price is very good compared to others, I will make this frequently. Not as full bodied as cab made from the grape, and a little green when consumed too early after making, but decent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Home made wine kit review, August 1, 2009
I am very pleased with this product. Delivery was quick and there were more items in the box than expected. Came with juice, 30 corks.30 labels 30 gold foil caps, additives and instructions. Some of the bottles I used were large and some were small, but we ended up with 29.5 bottles. I let the wine sit a little longer than the instructions advised so it took 32 days from opening the box to popping the cork on a chilled bottle. The wine came out a little dry but still very tasty. We are planning to buy the same kit and make another batch but add a little sweetener at the end. Out of 29.5 bottles a week ago we are down to ten. Time to start another batch. This was my first try at making wine and I am very pleased.
Mike

5.0 out of 5 stars Great price per bottle, August 1, 2012
All I did was add a box of zante currants during fermentation. I ended up with 27 bottles of really good wine at $2.35 per bottle. I am impressed.

5.0 out of 5 stars great Merlot, April 9, 2013
Farm Girl "dakota" (Edmond, OK United States) - See all my reviews
For the price this kit makes a great wine. I did add a little wine conditioner to smooth the edge.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the Reserve Kits, December 7, 2012
Diane E Klumb (Lexington, VA USA) - See all my reviews
This kit is probably the best of the Reserve series. It's easy to produce an excellent red, with the softness of Merlot and the slight acidity of the Cabernet.

Rate and Discover Movies