5.0 out of 5 stars Resident Evil 4!
Ok first off Ill start you off with the cons.

Cons (Out of Retail)
--------------------
Not so good graphics out of the box.

No Mouse Support out of the box.

Pros (Out of Retail)
Riveting story

Realism (Blood looks like blood)

Awesome Modeling your character looks awesome and...
Published on February 24, 2009 by Wanda K. Lagant

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost in translation
Published on June 23, 2007 by N. Durham

3.0 out of 5 stars Lost in translation, June 23, 2007
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Resident Evil 4 - PC (Video Game)
If you've been living under a rock since 2005, then you've never gotten wind of Resident Evil 4. A departure in terms of gameplay and design for Capcom's long running survival horror franchise, Resident Evil 4 marked the best entry in the series, as well as the best survival horror game of all time when it was first released on the Gamecube. Eventually the game would be released on the PS2 (and recently the excellent version that just came out for the Wii), and now it's finally on the PC. Sadly though, so much of what made Resident Evil 4 so great on the consoles has been lost in translation in this port to the PC, making PC gamers wonder what all the fuss was about with Resident Evil 4 in the first place. While the game still features it's ultra creepy atmoshphere and heart pounding moments of suspense, the fact that the game cannot be played with a mouse is pure blasphemy. A controller is essential here because of that, and the fact that the keyboard controls are sloppy and annoying to boot. Once you get over that hurdle, you'll find that despite the atmosphere of the game, the cut-scenes and even some other parts look incredibly blurry and stilted. You can't play around with the visuals of Resident Evil 4 either, and considering how long this PC version of the game was in development, the overall package just feels rushed. Not to mention that this PC port features no new exclusive content either. All the negatives aside though, Resident Evil 4 for the PC is still pretty much the Resident Evil 4 we all know and love, and if you own a gamepad, there's plenty of excitement to be found here. Combine that with the budget price tag, and you still get a solid survival horror game that is worth a look. That is, if you don't own a console. If you own one of the aforementioned console systems, pick Resident Evil 4 up for that system, but if you don't, well then, this PC version loses much of what made the console game so great in the first place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Resident Evil 4!, February 24, 2009
This review is from: Resident Evil 4 - PC (Video Game)
Ok first off Ill start you off with the cons.

Cons (Out of Retail)
--------------------
Not so good graphics out of the box.

No Mouse Support out of the box.

Pros (Out of Retail)
Riveting story

Realism (Blood looks like blood)

Awesome Modeling your character looks awesome and so do your enemies and friends.

ZOMBIES!!!! (what more to say).

ok...now...I want this known RIGHT NOW.

STOP GIVING THIS GAME BAD REVIEWS just because you people are too lazy to get two patches that you can just google and load does not make this a bad game!.

Looks all you got to do is go to google and get the v1.1.0 Patch and the Mouse Aim Path (not auto aim it allows you go set the sensitivity)

Once you get these two patches the graphics will look EXACTLY if not better then the console versions of the game and it will play like the console versions as well.

There is a Patch that gives Resident Evil mouse support google it. if its not the Mouse Aim Patch (cant remember I already have these patches since I got them when i bought the game which was two years or so ago so i forgot if it gave me mouse ability or not.)

But really the PC version will play just as good as the Console versions if you just download the patches.

So please all prospective buyers do not let these lazy people stop you from buying the PC Version of this game.

Pros (after patches)
Smooth Control

Beautiful Graphics

Riveting Story

The Models look great

Its very realistic so I suggest not letting children under 15 play this game.

Cons
-------
None that I am aware of.

So please people. Its just a few clicks and you know what...I'll make it easy for you to get these patches. I'll give you the links.

Here is the v1.1.0 Graphics Patch - [...]

Here is the Mouse Aim Patch - [...]

The Mouse Aim Patch is not a virus iv scanned it with all my virus scanners.

So now will you PLEASE buy this game o.o

1.0 out of 5 stars From a long time survival horror fan, June 22, 2007
Randy Keeling (Kennesaw, GA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Resident Evil 4 - PC (Video Game)
From a long time survival horror fan

I am both an avid PC game player and a fan of the survival horror genre. Sadly, most of the "good" survival horror games have been on console systems. I saw "Resident Evil 4" for the PC and thought I would give it a try. This has to be one of the worse PC games I have ever tried.

It is a port from the consoles (PS2, Gamecube, etc) in which Ubisoft has done nothing to accommodate the PC format. You cannot use a mouse (WASD for movement and arrow keys for looking around). This makes aiming, navigating, and interacting with the environment difficult at best. If one used a dual axis control this might work (like would have to be done on a Playstation for example). However, if I had wanted to use a gamepad to play the game, I would have bought it for a console system.

The graphics are flat, dry and lack any depth. While this is not a deal breaker for me, it is very annoying after you see the game on a Playstation 2. Hundreds of dollars on RAM, video cards and a processor and the best Capcom/Ubisoft can do is give me 1997 graphical textures to process on my machine.

The menus are horrid. To exit the game you must "Reset Game", very intuitive; the arrow keys do not work to navigate the menus; you must use the WASD keys, etc. This is another example of the mindless port job that was done to this.

I recall seeing trailers for this game years ago and now that I have played it I am very sad. Perhaps the only thing worse than this game is the fact that because of the no return of "open software" policy that most every store has in place, there is no way for me to return a very bad product!

As a point of reference I consider the following to be "good" survival horror games: Fatal Frame 1, Fatal Frame 2, Silent Hill 2, and Silent Hill 4.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broken controls make it unplayable, June 28, 2007
This review is from: Resident Evil 4 - PC (Video Game)
I had never played Resident Evil 4 before getting the Wii version last week. I loved the Wii version so much that I picked up this port for the PC so that I could play it on my laptop while traveling. I've spent about 6 hours trying to play the PC version over the last few days and have determined that it is unplayable due to horrible controls. It has taken me those 6 hours to get to the same point in the game that it took me a half hour to get to on the Wii version. Playing the game with a Gamepad was slightly better than playing with just the keyboard, as was downloading an unofficial patch that enabled use of the mouse (I even tried using a hack that someone created to play the game on the PC using the Wii controller). No matter what control scheme I've tried, the lack of precision aiming and movement makes the game totally unenjoyable and frustrating. I still highly recommend the Wii version of the game, but save your money and avoid the PC version at all costs.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor controls and false advertisement, August 18, 2007
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Resident Evil 4 - PC (Video Game)
I won't lie to anyone. The game looks as good as any other RE game made. It looks great. But the controls system is the worst system I've ever used. I bought it for the PC because everyone knows that shooters work best on PC. Gamepads aren't accurate and a mouse is the way to go.
There are NO control mapping abilities in the main menu. When you go to the controls screen, it only allows you to invert the aiming and switch aiming preset keys.
The book is no better. It says what each key does but the game will tell you to run by pressing "3". "3" has nothing to do with running. the right ctrl button controls running. I found out the game meant "ENTER". I kept pressing it and then while running, it said press "5+6". "5+6" again, have nothing to do with what it wants you to do. I tried the number keys and the keypad. I tried finding what 5+6 meant on a keypad and use those keys on the keyboard. Nothing happened. I can't go any farther since I keep dieing.
The website has ZERO help in the matter.
I agree with the other rater that said the box lies and says a mouse is compatible. YEAH RIGHT!

Great graphics - baaad gameplay.

3.0 out of 5 stars The mouse is why I bought it for PC, May 22, 2007
M. Sharpless "NERV" (4621 Kathi Drive APT C.) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Resident Evil 4 - PC (Video Game)
Ok, here is the deal. Same game as it was on the Cube. The Cube is still the best platfrom to play this game on. When I heard it was coming to the PC I was overjoyed because I am a PC gamer at heart, for one simple reason. With a mouse I can aim much better. Playing it on the Cube was easy for me, but with a mouse I could be so much better. For Ubisoft to leave out mouse support is a slap in the face for PC gamers. Who wants a game pad, when you could aim with a mouse? It's a great game, but the controls could have been so much better for the PC. Aslo one thing that really is upsetting. The detail in this PC game is less than on the Cube, or playstation 2. Why? I had both going (One on the Cube, and On the PC) to see what was missing. Lets see, FOG, the lighting on the PC was awfule, and many more issues. This game is not worth buying on the PC. I am glad that I got this game free. Now I am telling you, DON'T BUY THE PC GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wait for it to come out on the Wii. If you can't wait, buy it on the cube or playstation.

1.0 out of 5 stars A $20 Coaster, August 19, 2007
This review is from: Resident Evil 4 - PC (Video Game)
This game is non-functional on the PC. The game package says "Peripherals Supported: Windows compatible mouse and keyboard", this is a flat out lie.

As you have probably learned from the other reviews, it does not support mouse. Not only that, even the keyboard doesn't work. After playing the game for 5 minutes a menu / screen opened, and I could not get out of it because there was no button on the keyboard mapped to close the menu. I would have had to drive to the local gamer store, purchase a console controller, in order to close that menu. The manual that comes with the PC game is actually the CONSOLE MANUAL, thereby making it completely useless because all the instructions refer to how to make it work with your CONSOLE. No mention anywhere of PC controls. All of the ingame menus and ques that come up refer to the standard console controller buttons...which of course I don't have, why would I? I own a PC. THey didn't even take the time to map really obvious console controller buttons to really obvious keyboard buttons, for example, the numbered buttons on the console controller could have been easily mapped to the numbers on the keyboard --- they did not do this. Infact, the very menu that I could not close had a note such as "to close this menu hit console controller button 5", and yet hitting the keyboard button 5 did not do anything. This is a no brainer, just map the console controller button 5, to keyboard button 5. It is unfathomable how anyone could be so lazy. If you don't mind going out and purchasing essentially a console controller, in order to play this game on your PC, then it may be a 2 star game instead of a 1 star.

Until I bought this game, I've never had to delete a game from my hard drive within 10 minutes or less of installing it. I now own a $20 coaster, that is the best use for the game disk I can find.

I might not be as annoyed if they had at least said on the package "Game console controller required to play". Though, for a pc game, there is no excuse not to have mouse support. If you are going to take the time to port a console game over to a PC, at least take the time to make it work on a standard PC. I guarentee you 99% of people who EXCLUSIVELY own/play games on a PC do not own console style controllers, there is no need, all PC games ever created, except this one, have mouse support. Compared to console controllers, the "mouse" system works 10x better for ALL types of games. If you have been playing on a PC all these years, like some of us, you would know that.

horrible, horrible, horrible. I will never buy another title from this company, or a console to pc game, ever again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worthless crap DOES NOT support a mouse!, June 18, 2007
DreadWolf (Dallas, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Resident Evil 4 - PC (Video Game)
I waited two years for the PC version so that I wouldn't have to use sorry gamepad controls, then when I finally get it it doesn't even support a mouse at all! Despite the statement that it does support "windows compatible mouse and keyboard" on the game box!

I feel totally cheated - I don't have a gamepad so I can't even play it!

You can't even use a mouse on the selection screens! What did Ubisoft do for two years?

1.0 out of 5 stars An ill-Mannered Resident Evil, October 5, 2007
This review is from: Resident Evil 4 - PC (Video Game)
I have to agree w/ and say 'Ditto' to all the 1 star reviewers here. This was a complete rip-off from the word go. The port from console to pc must have been done within 10 minutes or something. Really Ubisoft, what vendor did you farm out this big hunk of steaming blank to? I loved Resident Evil 4 on my Playstation but my console up and died as did my Xbox eventually. I have to have a Gamepad to be able to play this at an enjoyable level? Puhleeeez; I have a zillion USB cords running everywhere, I don't want another bloody controler type device adding to that mess.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fun... but not on a PC, March 6, 2009
V. Moog (Cape Coral, Fl USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Resident Evil 4 - PC (Video Game)
I have always loved Resident Evil games - I've played previous versions on a PS and loved them. Since I only have a PC now - I was devastated by how bad this game plays on a PC. Not only is it not mouse supported, but I have yet to figure out the key strokes. The screen tells you to hit the 5 and 6 buttons to get through a scene and I finally figured out the real buttons are the left and right shift buttons. I cannot find anywhere in the game how to "reprogram" the keys. I finally broke down and bought a PC game controller and the buttons on it are wrong too! The game controller does make it a little easier to play, but I still have to use the keyboard on some scenes since I've yet to find the 5 and 6 keys on the controller. The game frequently freezes and flat out bombs. Many times when you start it, it will tell you no disk found - so you have to eject the disk and start again. It's a great game, but it's performance is horrible.

Resident Evil 4 - PC
Resident Evil 4 - PC by Ubisoft (Windows XP)
$19.99 $9.80