5.0 out of 5 stars Resident Evil 6 Anthology
I love Resident Evil. I've played every single one since the very first one came out for the Playstation. Survival horror is a genre that has changed quite a bit since that original entry and I'm happy to say that at least part of this game is an homage to that bygone era.

Published on October 2, 2012 by Antonio

1.0 out of 5 stars downloads required
It would be nice if the product description stated that not all the games listed are included as disks (which is the only reason I purchased this). All versions other than RE 6 must be downloaded. This is not an all-inclusive anthology, but rather RE 6 with download codes...way false advertising!!
Published on November 1, 2012 by DJ

5.0 out of 5 stars Resident Evil 6 Anthology, October 2, 2012
This review is from: Resident Evil 6 Anthology - Playstation 3 (Video Game)

Gameplay: The gameplay is quite solid. The cover system works well and being able to move around while shooting is a welcome change. While it may not satisfy the purists, it's a step up from Resident Evil 4.5/5. The controls are quite responsive and I had almost no trouble at all (I caught some trouble sometimes :).)

Story: There are three separate campaigns, each with a very different feel. My favorite by and far was the Leon portion, which gives that sense of impending dread that the originals in the series gave. Chris and Wesker's son both also had interesting campaigns, and it was really cool when the campaigns intersected in the story. This is also a pretty long game, so you really get some serious playtime out of it.

The Health system has greatly changed. Instead of using your entire herbs at once, you can use them as pills adding them to your case just by pressing R2. They do let you hold more weapons than Resident Evil 5, an improvement.

Graphics: Everything in the game looks great. The action looks good, the new bad guys are pleasingly disgusting and the boss fights look top notch and Interesting how The MT Framework processes the Graphics too.

Overall - a very engaging entry in the series. Well worth picking up if you're a fan. I haven't tried Mercenaries yet but hopefully it'll be fun.

Two Wishes:

First: The Anthology version that the Playstation recieved. Poor Xbox 360, Every Resident Evil game should've been on that console too!
Second: It would have been nice if Sheva Alomar made a small Appearance in the game (Or later in DLC).

Playstation 3: One Bluray Game Disc, 1,2,3,4 and 5 Games DLC.
Xbox 360: R6 Two Seperate DVD Game Discs, Resident Evil CODE Veronica X HD, Resident Evil 4 HD , Resident Evil 5 Gold, and Resident Evil Degeneration.

5.0 out of 5 stars RE5 Gold included, October 3, 2012
J. Ho (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Resident Evil 6 Anthology - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Just to clarify again since Amazon product feature isn't update yet... "RE5 Gold" is included in this edition.

You get the PSN codes to download to download all the previous RE games... Code Veronica X NOT included (which you can still get from PSN for $20).

There are no instruction booklet at all, so that's a bit disappointing.

Notice that after the prelude opening, you can freely choose which characters you want to start with (Christ, Leon, Jake). But if you focus on one of them from start to finish, some of the story may not make sense to you later on... after doing a bit of research, here is the suggested path:

After Prelude:

Chris #4
Jake #5
Chris #5
Leon #5

I liked that they allow player to choose to play with which ever character they want, but I think they should at least give players a 'suggested' path to understand the story better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strays from the Resident Evil feel but..., October 3, 2012
This review is from: Resident Evil 6 Anthology - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Now I am going to say this right off the bat. I have not completed the game yet. However, I have had a good amount of time with the three initial campaigns. From the amount of time I have played, this is my honest review. I might get some flak from this.

Story: The story is put together in an interesting, yet confusing way. There are three initial campaigns to play through: Jake, Leon, and Chris. The fourth campaign is Ada and it is unlocked after you have completed the first three. The first part of the story goes in this order: Jake, Leon, and Chris. After a certain point, it gets a little confusing. The reason being is that if you progress too far through one campaign, some thing may pop up where you had to have played one of the other campaigns first to understand. Hope that did not sound too confusing. The newly emerged C-Virus has emerged and the protagonists travel across the globe to contain it and find out who let it loose.

Gameplay: This is where I will get the flak. I will not lie. This is not the Survival-Horror game hardcore fans have known and played in the early years. This is more action packed and more modern. More like a game of the third person shooter genre, if you will (Future Soldier, Uncharted without the adventure aspects, etc). However, even though this game strays from it's name, the game is still very fun and enjoyable. With shooting, you can now move more freely while aim. Whereas in Resident Evil 4 and 5, you could not move while aiming. You can also customize the type of aiming laser you like and the color of the laser. They also added action abilities. These include quick shot, counters, dives and rolls, and the ability to shoot while laying on the ground. They added a melee button too. They also added skill points. These are used to purchase skills and level them up. Unlike past Resident Evil games, you cannot upgrade your weapons through a store/menu. They changed the inventory system too. They have brought back the Mercenaries game mode but have added the Agent Hunt mode, which I have not played yet. If you neglect the fact that it is named as a Resident Evil game, you could possibly enjoy it.

Specific to this edition: Resident Evil 6 Anthology comes with Resident Evil 1-6, hence it being called Anthology. This edition costs 90 dollars, about 30 dollars more than the standard edition which is 60 dollars. I believe this is a very good deal. Even though a physical disc(s) would be ideal, I am perfectly fine with these digital downloads. These are the premium editions of the games too (Of the games that had one). As of now from where I looked, Resident Evil 5 Gold Edition is 20 dollars. From the Playstation Store, Resident Evil 4 HD is 20 dollars, Resident Evil Director's Cut is 10 dollars, Resident Evil 2 and 3 are 7 dollars each. If you add this up along with Resident Evil 6, the total cost is 124 dollars. You are saving 34 dollars when you buy this. Even though this does not come with Code Veronica, you are already getting a lot for you money. Six games for 90 dollars.

Final Thoughts (as of now): Even though Resident Evil 6 strays from the rest of the Resident Evil franchise, it still maintains some of the Resident Evil features and it is a great and fun game nevertheless. The four campaigns add longevity to the game (all playable in co-op except for Ada, I believe) and each adds its own different feel. The game feels much smoother and the controls are not very confusing. Longtime, hardcore Resident Evil fans may not like the change but I gladly accept it. Most of these bad reviews are coming from longtime resident evil fans. I perceive these reviews as biased but I can see where they are coming from. If you like an action packed shooter that has some of the Resident Evil feel to it, get it.

1.0 out of 5 stars downloads required, November 1, 2012
DJ (Rock Springs, WY United States) - See all my reviews
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars

2.0 out of 5 stars RE 6 Anthology, December 5, 2013
This review is from: Resident Evil 6 Anthology - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
Well, I must say I was really disappointed with this Anthology. You don't get physical copies of the actual games, you get codes to download the games from the store (which takes up hard drive space, I have a 500gb ps3 so no it doesn't really effect me but others it may) and if you already have downloaded the games, this Anthology is really irrelevant. Avoid if you have already purchased the games in the store.

4.0 out of 5 stars Resident Evil gone wild..., November 3, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Resident Evil 6 Anthology - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I have been with the Resident Evil series since the beginning. I remember going over my buddy's house, him saying, "Man...you gotta try this game!" and he sat me in front of the TV with the controller, dimmed the lights, and I swear I totally freaked when I ran into my first Zombie...you fans remember don't you? A man hunched over a body on the floor, then you approach and he slowly turns and you realize...ZOMBIE!!!! There had never been anything like it before, at least not to me. The clues you had to find, the puzzles, a big spooky mansion filled with zombies. It was the best!

Fast forward sixteen years and quite a few additions to the series. Now we have 6.

RE6 is fun to play, I guess, but I find myself getting a headache from being tense all the time. It's almost non-stop action...which gets exhausting after a couple of hours. There is almost no breaks where you have to do some exploring and puzzle solving. Don't get me wrong...there are a few lame puzzles you have to solve that don't take any kind of thought at all and they are very short. Disappointing to say the least. I like that we get to see the familiar faces of games past...but I'm tired of the non-stop trucks blowing up, planes and buildings and whatever else falling on you and you having to do a couple of button presses to dive out of the way or else get crushed. (Reminds me so much of those books I had when I was a kid where it would tell you to turn to page XX if you choose to open the door or turn to page XX if you want to ignore the door and move on. So you choose to open the door and BOOM! you die.) There is a lot of that in this game...rather than just beating the crap out of a boss or zombie it gives you a timer and the x button on the screen and you have to push the x button at the right time in order to push the zombie off of you. Too much of that...so it feels kind of like the game is playing the game for you. I don't like it. I just want to explore and beat some zombies up by doing a cool move I learned or something. But instead while I'm beating up a group of zombies the R1 and X button show up so I push them and my character automatically takes the axe sticking out of the zombie (that was there already...assuming from some guy he tried to eat) and chops his head off automatically.

I don't know...I just really miss the old action of previous games and the puzzle solving and exploring...It's like the whole game is explosive. And I mean it...I really do have a headache from all the sudden "Oh SH*T...HURRY HURRY HURRY!!!!"s in the game. One right after the other.

If you like action a lot...go for it. It's worth a play to get the story. It's fun to play with people on line. Not a bad game, but not my Resident Evil of old.

EDIT (weeks later):
I just want to add that I've been playing the game for weeks now and I do appreciate it for what it is, even if it isn't like my Resident Evils of old...I have been enjoying the online features very much. It is fun to play it with other people out there in the world. This is new to me...as I had not yet ventured into the online multi-player experience. However, just judging from this RE6 game, it was easy to use it online and when I was new to the game, I had multiple Veteran RE6 players help me out on my quest first time through the campaigns and now that I am a veteran, I am doing the same for others. When you are low on ammo and haven't got all the guns, it's nice to have a vet join you who can blow all the zombies away that are overpowering you when you are low on ammo and are still getting used to the controls. So I thought it only fair to change it from three stars to four.

1.0 out of 5 stars No disks for other RE titles with this. Very misleading!, November 2, 2012
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Resident Evil 6 Anthology - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I purchased Resident Evil Anthology thinking it would include the physical disks for the other 1-5 RE titles. Guess what? It doesn't! Aside from the sub-par RE 6 games 1-5 are downloadable content only. What a major let down. I'm returning this item.

5.0 out of 5 stars game is worth to buy, March 17, 2013
This review is from: Resident Evil 6 Anthology - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
excellent game one of the best ever played.keeps you on the edge excellent graphics great game play.everyone should buy it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Wife and I loved playing Resident Evil 5 together to bad they dropped the ball on 6, January 5, 2013
This review is from: Resident Evil 6 Anthology - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
My wife loves playing cooperative, split screen games. We especially enjoyed playing Resident Evil 5 together - she would snipe while I got more up-close. We pre-ordered Resident Evil 6 with no hesitation since we expected it to be as good or better.

Unfortunately, there are some huge flaws that made this very frustrating to play:

- Movement/camera control is like controlling a drunk person. You supposedly have camera control but they put in a "feature" that causes the the camera to swing nauseatingly up and down when moving. You stumble and stagger over anything in your path. This flaw, more then any other, made for terrible game play.
- To make it more "scary" they cheated and just made most of the game play in almost pitch black. It gets very tedious to never be able to see anything. Perhaps they saved money/time on not having to draw much scenery. There are plenty of techniques for setting a scary mood but the only tool used was darkness.
- In 5, if you suspected that a zombie on the ground might be playing possum you could take them out. In 6, you have to wait until they jump you from behind. Also, if a zombie in lying in your path you always stumble over them instead of stepping over.
- You have to cycle through weapons - no way to quickly select the needed weapon. This is a huge disadvantage - there were countless times that a monster would cream me while I was trying to cycle through to the proper weapon. The inventory management system is also a pain to use.
- Weapon aiming is much harder. Many times it was impossible to tell if you where you were aiming. There is a barely visible dot.
- They traded mines for remote control bombs. The mines in RE5 where very useful since they triggered when something came into proximity. Great for covering your behind or an escape route. You could also pick them back up if it turned out they were not needed. The remote control bombs are almost worthless since you need to keep the control in your hand to trigger instead of your gun. *And* you can't pick them back up to reuse - once they are down they stay put. Very rarely do you know for sure where one will be really needed.

These are the major flaws. I will not go into what we thought was good since the bad outweighed it. We did not finish the game because it just became too frustrating to play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Phenomenal game with a few hiccups and far too many trolls., November 25, 2012
This review is from: Resident Evil 6 Anthology - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
The anthology includes Resident Evil 1-5 via code that can be redeemed on the Playstation Store; which is about the only negative thing that can be said about this product.

The game itself trounces Resident Evil 5 in just about every possible way. Though I think 5 had slightly better graphics, 6 had a much better atmosphere and plays better with its improved controls. You can now move while aiming--an extremely belated and necessary feature that unfortunately still does not pull off as good as its other action-horror contemporary Dead Space. The game also removes the tank-like controls from all previous installments with a more proverbial 3d movement. Though the game has improved controls, they do have a bit of a learning curve with its wonky cover system and its slide/dive mechanic. It's strange and weird, but very rewarding once you get better at it.

In terms of its story, there's not much to write home about. It's Resident Evil. Any fan of the series knows that it's never excelled in the storytelling department and this one is no exception. Some of the dialogue is extremely cheesy and the whole 3 campaign story doesn't reveal much at all--until you play the 4th 'secret' campaign, which clears up a few loose ends but overall doesn't do much. In the end I still found the story to be much more satisfying than Resident Evil 5's awful story. The old and new characters are great too, and some of the development and relationships between some of them are done well, particularly the partnership between the old character Chris and newcomer Piers.

The game itself is a hell of a lot of fun to play. It still features the same behind the character 3rd person scheme that Resident Evil 4 made so popular and the many subsequent games that emulated it. It now has a fully 3d rotating camera which is great too. The game is split into 4 campaigns, each with differing slightly in style. Leon's campaign is much more dark, slow paced; Chris' is all out-action; Jake's is the more varietal and more in the lines of the Uncharted games, while Ada's campaign tries to enforce a little bit of stealth. All offer a great change of pace in styles but may over saturate in the action sequences. The game features QTE (Quick Time Events), which have caught a lot of flak but really isn't all that bad except when a certain enemy (just one type, you only encounter him a few times) grabs hold of you, you must rotate the left stick around really fast--and unless you know beforehand that it's going to happen, it's almost impossible to overcome--which is not a good thing for first time players.

The game also features a skill point system taking over the currency system from RE4 and 5. The skills work like perks from the Call of Duty games and can be improved by collecting skill points from fallen enemies.

The game is not overly difficult, exceedingly long (which is not a bad thing ;) ) and has good re playability. Overall, judging this game for what it is, an action game with horror elements, is superbly done in giving you an entertaining roller coaster ride. Lastly in addition, the game does a good job in the music and voice acting departments (albeit with the pretty awful dialogue I mentioned). This is a high, production value video game that delivers action to the fullest-- and if you're looking to relive the classics (which are still the better games, in my opinion--particularly the first 3) you can relive the terror or experience the series for the first time to get a feel for what made the franchise so beloved. RE6 has come a long way from it's first installment from it's survival horror elements and tank-like controls, to it's revolutionary behind the character camera feature in RE4. Though some hate the change and others embrace it, Resident Evil 6 by itself without any affiliation with the previous installments is a great game and one the best in 2012.

Resident Evil 6 Anthology - Playstation 3