Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer redoaks redoaks redoaks  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Shop Now Kids Halloween

Format: Video GameChange

on October 2, 2012
There's too many glowing/bad reviews from people that only played the demo and reviews that...aren't even reviews but just a paragraph of praise or hate.

I'll try my best to help out any potential buyers.

It would take all the room on the page to go into detail about all the gameplay changes but basically, if you've ever played Gears of War, the gameplay is very similar to it.

- You can change your characters handedness on the fly. Don't like having to play as Helena on the right side of the screen? Just press RS and she'll switch to the left side.

- Dark atmosphere. Even though it isn't scary they at least tried.

- Smooth controls.

- Inventory is better to accommodate the action. You just use Up/Down on the d-pad to switch weapons and Left/Right to switch items. You have little restrictions now except you can't swap items with your partner.

- The skill system is nice. You can pick up skill points that drop from enemies and customize your character however you'd like upon meeting the requirements for the skills to unlock. There's skills that increase gun power, reload speed, melee power, recoil, accuracy, skills to not have to rely on your partner, increased ammo pickups, etc.

- Melee feels overpowered. Why waste tons of ammo on a zombie when you can just beat them up?

- Zombies are back... but now they're faster, carry weapons like bottles and guns, and they're only in Leon's campaign. The majority of the enemies are J'avo, which are like soldiers that are half dead, smarter, and carry guns. The rest are your typical BOW monsters.

- A lot of Quick Time Events and even some cheap deaths.

- Turning off Waypoints turns off your HUD. This may be patched.

- You can only restore one block of health at a time per pill. Any herbs you find have to be mixed to make more pills. It can be annoying in a heated fight.

- Scripted events and lots of setpieces. You can no longer shoot zombies laying or sitting still like in the older games. You have to wait for an event to happen before you can harm them.

- There's 4 campaigns and 4 hours worth of cutscenes. Each campaign is around 5 hours long.

Chris' campaign is very action heavy and is like a constant warzone (Well he IS in the military now...), Jake's has just as much action, and Leon's campaign tries to be more atmospheric but it doesn't take long for the action to ramp up.

The 4th campaign is unlockable after finishing those 3. I won't spoil it for anyone reading.

Some people may like that this game is a lot longer than previous ones. I personally felt it dragged on because the gameplay is much faster paced and there was a lot of QTEs.

- Too much action. Think of all the enemies in mercenaries mode in RE 5 + enemies shooting at you and you have this. Some people like it, some don't.

Honestly, I think this is what Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City should have been.

I love the classic Resident Evils more but still enjoyed RE 4, 5, and 3ds exclusive Revelations. This latest one is just too much of a change for me. It feels like it tries to appeal to everyone but doesn't quite accomplish it.
1616 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 17, 2012
I wanted to like this game. I've been putting in the time to play it and replay it - analyze it for its parts and get a feel for it on the whole. At the end of the day, I'm disappointed. The game feels, in one word, unpolished. In this review, I will quickly compare RE6 to some of its prequels, to provide a jumping off point for readers. I won't talk about everything I've noticed, this is just a quick summation of my impressions.

I think RE4 was the greatest evolution of the series: it tells a compelling story, it was fun to play, and it felt fair. I completed RE4 on the Wii, and I think nothing can compare to the wii-remote for aiming, except maybe a light gun. Truly being able to aim quickly, without finessing a thumbstick was natural, the quicktime events (QTEs) were SO COOL, the graphics were good, the art style was good, the new weapons upgrade and inventory system was well implemented and motivating, and Leon just felt bad-ass to play. RE4 was difficult at times, but it was fair, and I never felt cheated when I died. With RE6, I am constantly feeling cheated, such as when a melee QTE overrides a situational QTE, causing my death. Moreover, the sequence of events in RE6 feel completely forced, like I am being herded nonsensically and unemotionally from one "cool" setting to the next. As one example, in Leon's campaign, it just seems silly that the bus I fought to get on at the end of Chapter 1 just randomly gets in an accident and everyone dies at the beginning of chapter 2, such that I end up in a cemetery for the beginning of the next level (uninjured by the bus crash and explosion).

RE5 had a different feel than all the past games, because it was more action-oriented. I am okay with this, because it was necessary for the story that CAPCOM wanted to tell. The story was not as good as RE4, and the gameplay was not a giant step forward in the series. Still, I thought it perfected the evolution begun in RE4, and the implementation of co-op play was perfect. I played the entire game through with a friend, and that made RE5 more fun than RE4 in my eyes. The shop system, the huge variety of guns, and the importance of upgrades truly added a level of replayability that kept me going back to RE5 long after I beat it. Removing the inventory system in RE6 seems illogical to me. The new inventory system is not an improvement; it is more difficult to organize and customize for quick access. Removing the ability to customize guns or buy new guns is also a step back in the series for me - one of my favorite things about RE5 was the excitement I felt in finding a more powerful shotgun - or debating between carrying a handgun that was more powerful or could carry more ammunition. I think most gamers love personalization, and RE6 did away with what made MY playthrough of RE5 all MINE. To be fair, RE6 does co-op well, and the multiple person boss fights is really cool.

RE6 Complete Impressions:
My sense is that RE6 would have been better if CAPCOM had taken an extra few months to fine tune it.
It released early (why?) even though I think most fans would have been happy to wait.
It sacrificed personalization for a new inventory and skill system (why?) that is less fun, less intuitive, and promotes less replayability.
It eschewed slow, logical, natural story progression in favor of stream-lined action and big set pieces (why?) when this is not the type of game RE fans grew to love.
It opted for new and shiny (new characters, new inventory menu, new healing system, new skill system) over tried, true, and loved (why is there no mention of Jill or Sheva, where is my grid inventory, why don't my herbs spray, and why can't I customize my guns).
It chose quantity (of playing time, explosions, scare-moments) over quality of the experience (remember feeling like you were in Leon or Claire's shoes in RE2, just trying to find more ammo and just trying to survive).
In the end, I think RE6 chose marketability over polish, style, and its own legacy.

That's too bad CAPCOM. I really wanted to like this game. Instead, I'm left feeling frustrated and upset. I'll feel even worse when CAPCOM decides to bleed its fans dry by releasing DLC with Jill or Claire in it, when they should have been in the game to begin with (don't be surprised when they do - CAPCOM made too much money off of Lost in Nightmares and Desperate Escape).
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 14, 2013
RE6 follows in the unfortunate shambling footsteps of RE5 by taking the series even farther away from its roots, making it less and less a survival horror game and more of a Gears of War action fest. Out of the four campaigns, Leon's might be the best as it actually features zombies(!) and the environments (at least initially) feel like a Resident Evil game. The Ada campaign is not bad as well as you're not forced into co-op play and again, it feels more like a RE game. The Jake campaign is so-so, the best thing might be that it's relatively short, and the Chris campaign is a freaking disaster. This is probably the most offensive campaign as it feels like the creators are really gunning for the COD crowd and forgetting completely what makes a RE game a RE game. Overall, the game is one uninspired action set piece after another, it is stupidly relentless - kind of like playing through what Transformers 5 might be like. I really really hope Capcom brings RE back to its roots.
on October 9, 2012
Resident Evil 6 is not a bad game, but it is a disappointment. I thought RE4 and RE5 were great games, and I was looking forward RE6 taking it all a step further. Instead it feels like 5 steps backward.

The game is separated into four campaigns, each starring different characters in the RE universe, some new, some old. The stories are all intertwined and you don't get the big picture until you've completed them all. This sounds cool in theory, but unfortunately the problem this causes is that each story has a fuzzy intro and then you're thrust into the middle of a s***storm with no context. Throughout most of Leon's campaign, he doesn't even know where he is going or what he is doing, and the character keeps stating this. This left me baffled and uninterested for the majority of the game, and when you do get the whole picture, the payoff just isn't worth it. The other problem with the story is the lack of pacing. There is no attempt to build tension. The game just starts with tons of enemies attacking you and doesn't let up. There is no ebb and flow, no variation, no tension, and thus what could have been exciting is just grating.

The controls have been revised for RE6, and unfortunately they don't work well. No longer are you restricted to standing still while aiming, which is a nice thought, but now aiming is imprecise and the camera is unwieldy. More often the camera is interested in showing you your character's shoulder than what's in front of you, and when you can see in front of you, aiming is loose and often you'll miss a shot that you'd swear was dead on. Movement feels awkward and correctly facing interactive elements takes a few tries. There is a cover system a la Gears of War, but it doesn't work well, and most of the time it's pointless. Overall, the controls feel broken, and this is the biggest downfall of RE6.
The basic concept of any RE game is to explore spooky environments and kill zombies while solving puzzles. The element of exploration is gone thanks to very linear levels with virtually no branching pathways. Puzzles are reduced to simply picking up a keycard and using it at the next door you encounter. Zombies are so frequent, as is ammo, that the game lacks any excitement. It's hard to be scared when you already know there are more zombies waiting around every single corner. This is the least scary RE game ever. And by "least scary", I mean not scary in the slightest.

RE4 on the Gamecube was the best looking game I had ever seen on that console. When RE5 came out, it was the best looking Xbox 360 game of it's time, so I had high hopes for RE6's graphics. While RE6 isn't a bad looking game, it fails to impress. When compared to current games on the console, it's nothing special, and as a matter of fact, I don't think it looks as good as RE5. Character models are very detailed, but the environments look a little blurry and dull. Some monsters look good, while others just look like a pile of mush. Not what I expected from a series that has set the bar in graphics time and time again.

This time around, RE has taken a decidedly action-oriented direction, and the music reflects that. Ambient mood music is replaced with action-movie orchestral score. None of the music is memorable, as even as I write this I can't hardly remember it. Sound effects are pretty much the same gunshots and zombie moans that we've heard from past games, but I suppose that's expected. Overall, not bad, but nothing stood out as exceptional either.

Considering how much fun I had with RE4 and RE5, RE6 was a let down. No longer is the game horror-survival. Now it feels like a poor-man's Gears of War. Chris' campaign is super action-heavy and feels like something out of Call of Duty. The game doesn't even try to be scary, the story is vague and confusing, the controls are wonky and imprecise, the camera is your worst enemy, levels are extremely linear, puzzles are stupidly simple, and there's no pacing to set the mood. Most of the time I was playing this game, I was not enjoying myself. I only continued to play out of obligation since I payed money for it. It's not a horrible game, it's just terribly bland. I can't recommend this game to anyone. There are elements I didn't cover, like the co-op, but they don't rectify the many problems plaguing Resident Evil 6.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 10, 2012
Well it sucks to write this review. I have been playing resident evil since the first game on playstation 1. Instead of writting pages worth of hate, here is the breakdown.

+Good Idea for a resident evil
+4 Character Games In one
+Good Graphics

CONS (and there is a lot)
-every two seconds there is a cut scene (makes the control of the game feel out of your hands)
-the zombies look terrible (almost like first time game designers put them together, same with deaths)
-Leon's game tries to be "horror" but also tries to be too much like chris's game. Too much action.
-Chris is too much like Gears of War resident evil style/ghost recon resident evil. Doesnt even feel like resident evil anymore when your running around for long enough.
-Terrible inventory setup
-Boring skill upgrade
-You fight the same monster many many many times, very boring. (im talking boss fight, the guy never dies).

I could go on and on. Game feels like a step back. How do you move forward with RE 4 and 5 only to go back steps with RE 6 ??? It feels like they just tried to Mix all the RE together and just have run out of ideas. End note, when you have to talk yourself into playing the game after spending 60 bucks on it. Not a good sign.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 9, 2012
Preface: I thoroughly enjoyed Resident Evil 5, my first entry into the series, enough so that I immediately purchased Resident Evl 4 from the game marketplace when it was released. Both games were exceptional, and I didn't mind the emphasis on action whatsoever. That said, I am a long-time fan of the survival horror genre also. I've played nearly every Silent Hill game since Silent Hill 2. I understand what a survival horror game should be like. Resident Evil 6 is undoubtedly neither a survival horror game nor a quality action game. For starters, this game has little-to-no resemblance as a survival horror game at all, so just go ahead and get that out of your head right now. The only similarities come in the fact that occasionally you'll run out of supplies such as ammo and health. Unfortunately, the game also fails as an action game and here's why...

For starters, the copious amounts of monotonous button-mashing and joystick-rotating is enough to drive someone insane. In the first campaign, you'll frequently stumble upon dead people laying about the ground. This is annoying in-and-of itself because your character trips each and every time, but what makes it worse is that many of these enemies reanimate and grab ahold of you, prompting one of many tedious button-mashing events to break free. This scenario isn't always caused by slumbering dead people, however. In fact, almost every enemy is likely to grab ahold of you at some point, and in addition to the headaches caused by these enemies grabbing ahold of you, the game frequently forces you to do mundane button presses like slamming x or b repeatedly to swim away or run away. The reason why I bring up the fake asleep zombies is because they represent a broken element of the game. After being grabbed by a seemingly dead enemy one too many times, I decided to shoot the next one I saw in the head a couple times to make sure it was dead. I watched as three of my bullets went straight through its body and struck the floor below the zombie. I figured it was safe to walk by after that. Wrong. The zombie didn't reanimate until I walked around him regardless of how many times I would have shot him. It's moments like these that make you question whether or not this is still a AAA game, and I assure you it is not, but not just for this small reason.

A greater flaw than the immensely annoying button-mashing gameplay mechanic Resident Evil 6 loves so much lie in the bosses. Resident Evil has been known to have boss battles that seemingly end once only to have that same boss return from the dead as an even bigger, badder, uglier monster than before. Resident Evil 6 takes this concept to another level. In Leon's campaign, nearly two full chapters, which is the equivalent of two hours or more of gameplay, you'll fight and re-fight the exact same boss for what seemed like six different times. I can think of four distinct encounters with him off the top of my head, but I'm sure there were more. At the conclusion of each, you're almost positive he won't return, but he does...and then he returns again. This wouldn't be such a bad thing if it weren't for the fact that each boss battle boils down to boss cliches such as shoot the big bad ugly thing in its glowing orange spot and then punch it in the face while its down or goad the big bad ugly thing into the exploding barrels and then set him ablaze. When you mix poorly designed boss encounters and a painful repetition of the exact same boss for two full hours, you've got a recipe for annoyance, which is a theme of Resident Evil 6.

My third major complaint that I'll explain in detail is that many deaths in this game come as a result of random, unavoidable events. I don't mind difficulty. Dark Souls and Ninja Gaiden are a couple games that come to mind that I thoroughly enjoyed despite their difficulty. The reason they are still fun is because when you inevitably die, you know it was because you simply weren't good enough. In Resident Evil 6, you will die many times simply because the game isn't good enough. Random scripted events pop out of nowhere, resulting in unavoidable deaths far too often. For example, a car accident bursting out of a side alley blindsides you and before you know what even happened, your dead. An ambulance races down the street and slams into a gas station, exploding everything, and before you know what even happened, your dead. A tank shoots a car on a bridge, causing a large explosion filled with toppling vehicles hurdling toward you, and befoe you know what even happened, your dead. In these moments the game takes the controller out of your hand. You are no longer responible for your character's well-being. Instead, the game is, and it forces death upon you in cheap, infuriating ways that will force you to restart from your nearest checkpoint. This is a game-breaking, fundamental flaw that you can't overlook.

In addition to these three complaints, there are tons upon tons of others. For example, one boss in specific requires you to actually lose. Yes, you have to lose in order to advance the game. After fighting this boss for 30 minutes, I finally gave up and figured the game was glitched. Truth is, I hated the game so much at this point, merely four hours into the game, that I wanted to commit virtual suicide, and so I stood in front of the boss and awaited my gruesome death with excitement. Then, as I was about to die, Resident Evil 6 switched to a cut scene and ruined my otherwise perfect suicide. If this doesn't exemplify how bad a game Resident Evil 6 is, I don't know what does. The game was so broken that I wanted to kill myself, yet I couldn't even commit suicide because the game is broken...

Honestly, I could give you many more reasons why I thoroughly hated Resident Evil 6. The context sensitive button presses of x+a at certain moments require inhuman timing, the dialogue is laughable, and why do I need two people to open a common door anyways? I would be typing all day if I were to detail each of my complaints. I do feel as though many of the positive reviewers for Resident Evil 6 have to be bias in some way, because I find very few redeeming qualitities in this game, and I've been playing games for a long time. If I were to list a few of the game's strong points, I would say that it gives you a fair amount of bang-for-your-buck at around 20 hours of gameplay, the graphics are fairly good, and the story is above average, but not nearly as good as people make it out to be. I assure you that these positives do not come even remotely close to compensating for the negatives. If you insist on giving the game a chance, which I strongly advise against, be certain you rent it or borrow it because this is one game I most certainly wish I had not bought for the full 65.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 3, 2012
The biggest flaw in this game is the relentless use of cinematic button mashing in order to survive an ordeal. THese button mashing sequences can seriously damage your controller. There's this one scene where you have to rapidly slam your left analog stick side-to-side, and it keeps resetting itself. In one sitting I was flipping it so fast for 5 minutes straight before it let me continue on. No way is that good for a controller! Because of the cinematics constantly disrupting your game, the game starts to play more like the Indigo Prophecy or Heavy Rain. You have zombies that can "superman" you, which puts you in a cinematic button mash, and they constantly over-run you, with ammo being very scarce; and so is stamina which is what you need to beat them back when you are out of bullets. That's what you expect from a survival-horror game; yet it made the game's difficulty feel cheap. Because of how fast the enemies move, and how they can attack you, you can't just line up head shots. With some weapons, you'll find you can easily use up a clip or two on one enemy; and you can be surrounded by 10 or more enemies at the same time. They also don't really reward you for big boss fights. You'll waste the boss, get the stroy to progress, but no skill points for your effort. You sue skill points to purchase skills, which you can only purchase after completing a chapter, or from the campaign main menu. You can only have 3 equipped at a time. These skills are expensive compared to the amount of skill points you get, and there is at least one or two skills you need equipped at all times. One keeps your aim steady, the other is for defense. They made a mistake with getting rid of the old inventory system, and the weapon upgrades. Now, essentially you have more space, but it's alloted for weapons you will pick up on the course of the campaign, and you usually have no room for health restoring items.

I do like the voice acting and the story was good; but the game felt more like a chore than an activity. It's not nearly as difficult as Dark Souls, but it's definitely cheaper in the ways that you find your self getting killed.
on October 15, 2012
What comes to mind when you think of Resident Evi? Zombies, Strategy, Conservation, Puzzles, Backtracking, Problem Solving, Quasi-Cheesey Story Line and Hours Upon Hours of Game Play.

Aside from the cheesey storyline, this game has none of those. The best compliment I can give this game is that this is the game Resident Evil Raccoon City should have been. I can't saw it is the worst of the franchise as RE: Raccoon City was almost unplayable.

The partner feature is definately an upgrade from RE Raccoon City. If you'll recall, you couldn't control your partners in RE:RC and they often walked into booby traps or got themselves killed way to easily. However, in this game the downside is that you can control your partner via commands(kinda like Brothers in Arms), but there realy is no reason to. They essentially added a neat feature that doesn't serve much of a purpose. So it's an upgrade without a reason.

The Quick Time Actions...I'm not even sure what to say about this. You get them every few seconds. There are times where I think they are a neat addition, like throwing a zombie off you, but there mostly they are a pain in the buy. This isn't a feature that is worth keeping. It cheapens the gameplay.

The lack of instructions. This game comes with no manual. The first 10 minutes of the game isn't a quasi-instructional how-to showing you how to work all the new features. Actually, at almost no point in this game are the new features explained to you. It is entirely possible for you to get through this game without learning how to do some of the new features. I was halfway through the game when I figured out how to do a few things by accident that would have greatly helped me earlier in the game. Also, there are instances where they do give you instructions, but they flash on screen for like an eighth of a second. I will give an example that anyone who played the game will understand. Early in Leons game, I died in the subway after getting hit by a train 10-15 times until I realized I need to hit two buttons to get out of the way. The instructions come on right before the train hits you and they disappear before you can even read them. This happens A LOT during the game. There is another instance when you need to slide under blades. The instructions on how to slide flash on and off of the screen before you can read them. Again, I had to replay the scene multiple times and figure it out on my own. It is not as though playing any RE games before this would prepare me. It's not like these are features RE gamers have seen before. They were completely new features and are at no point explained to the game via a manual or though early game training. It is completely trial and error.

I think the people who made this game mistook dark settings for scary. Not really being able to see what is going on in some instances didn't scare me, it frustrated me. On a personal note, I've never fully adjusted to the over the shoulder camera angle the series added in RE 4. I feel as though it eats away at about 30-40% of your screen. That aside, I found myself spending a lot of time just trying to figure out what was going on when in close quarter fights. It's hard to fight 10-15 swarming zombies when you can't really see them until they tackle you. The field of view is tiny. It is nothing like RE 4 or RE 5. You can barely see what is on screen and right in front of you.

Also, this has been pointed out by other reviewers. You can't kill zombies that you know will come to life. If you see one laying on the floor or sitting on a chair, you can't pre-emptively shoot it. You have to wait until you walk by and it attacks you. It's completely pointless. Why did the makers of the game add that? To make it scary? It isn't. It's frustrating and pointless.

Ammo. Ammo. Ammo. This game suffers from the same problem that RE Raccoon City does. There isn't enough ammo and it takes way to many shots to kill a zombie. I should note, I did find it cool in RE 1 that a regular pistol couldn't even kill a zombie and caused you to find another weapon or run past them. However in this game you can rarely run past zombies. It appears they've also done away with the headshot, or at least in part. Everyone once in a while you can shoot a zombie in the head and kill it, but more often than not, you have to shot it 10-15 times with a pistol to kill it. This isn't a huge deal if there were an ample supply of ammo. There were multiple instances where I had nothing but melee attacks left.

I thought the new system for health and changing weapons would be cool, but as the game progressed, I realized it wasn't. The gameplay doesn't stop and let you equip a weapon. So often you'll find youself fleeing from enemies while trying to cycle in the weapon you want. This multitasking isn't that fun or helpful and I think that was the whole purpose of adding it.

The game is entirely linear. You almost never back track. When a door closes behind you it closes for good. They did keep some puzzles, key finding and door unlocking, but it is simple. Gone are the days when you spent an hour to try to open a door or solve a puzzle. Everything is streamlined. I can understand how this might be preferable for many impatient video game players and appeals to a larger audience than the original RE fanbase, but I feel as those it takes away a large part of what made Resident Evil Resident Evil.

When you die, you simply restart at a checkpoint. It doesn't seem like there is any downside to dying in this game. It is not like the original REs where if you died, you went back to your last save point(should you have been lucky enough to save the game yourself). Now when you die, you simply replay the scene, over and over until you get it right.

I could go on, but this is getting longer than I wanted it to.

I'd like to end it on a general criticism of where the RE franchise has gone in recent years. There are a lot of people who first laid their hands on RE 1 back in the 1990s and have been loyal fans ever since. I'd consider myself one of those people. I'm not even a "gamer". I pretty much quit in college. I only own a console to play RE games and Assassins Creed games. After these last few RE titles, I'm not entirely certain I will continue to buy RE games. I'm beginning to think that the series, or more specifically it's creators, have played itself out. Not because the story has nothing left to offer, it was never great to begin with, but because they have decided to take the game in a completely different direction.

With the advent of the internet age, there has been a transition from single player games to online multiplayer games. I think it is apparent that multiplayer games are the wave of the future because they are more profitable. This has led to co-op and multiplayer shooter games. What started with Counter Strike and Call of Duty has led to most games having a multiplayer feature and this doesn't happen in a vacuum. When more emphasis is put on multiplayer, less is put on the single player.

RE Raccoon City is the perfect example. The single player is almost completely unplayed. I think it took me 3 hours to beat the entire game. Compare this to RE 1 which probably took me 80 hours to beat the first time around. After playing the last few RE games, I think it is clear that Capcom is moving in this direction. They are going to continue to turn RE into a mix of Left 4 Dead, Socom and a few other games. I don't think we will ever again see something similar to RE 1, RE 2, RE 3 and RE Code Veronica, which happen to be my four favorite RE games. It is for this reason, that this will be the last Resident Evil game I buy. I can't continue to support a franchise that has strayed so far from what made it great. They can, and seem willing to, slap the RE sticker on just about anything and the fans, like myself, have bought it. Well, I've been fooled one too many times now. I'm not taking the bait anymore.

I don't doubt that there are people out there who will like this game, although I'm guessing it is more people who are new to the RE franchise. I'm not sure how anyone who has been playing the RE franchise since its inception could like where it has headed.

Sorry that I had to write this review. I really am, but this is my last RE purchase.
66 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 15, 2012
Since many of you are new to the series I don't blame you for giving this game high ratings in your respective opinion. If you had been keeping up with the series since the late 90's you would probably have a very different perspective. This genre was created through the lens of Survival Horror. The series no longer follows this recipe, it has integrated its way into the action genre and blended more with mainstream titles (Such as Gears of War) and using their game play Mechanics.

This game is also much more linear then the original resident evils. Where you were once able to move around the mansion or the city now you are confined to very linear parts of each chapter. Finding pieces of a puzzle, key cards, or any object necessary to move on has lost it's edge in these games. We used to have moments where we'd find a key of some sort and remember "That one room in the back of the police station, this key must open it!" (Resident Evil 2). It just wasn't so obvious and linear, you would actually have to try and figure things out. This game is a really dumbed down version of these old and well crafted mechanics that old school gamers enjoyed about the series. Bottom line, movement is highly restricted in this game which makes exploring less desirable or rewarding. It becomes more of a chore.

Did anyone of you who have been keeping up with the series miss the atmosphere of the previous games? I almost forgot about things such as the serenity and safety the save rooms offered through calming music. When leaving them and entering the dark world you would be instantly put into a high tension scenario, creeping around every corner wondering if you are going to have zombie dogs bust through a window when you walk through a tight corridor. The feel is gone completely and I'm not sure after this release that we will ever have these aspects of the Resident Evil series brought back to life.

I also want to point out that in previous resident evil games the camera angles were used to enhance the sense of fear (this meant that they made it difficult for us to see certain things on purpose). In this game the camera angles are horrible and I'm not really sure what the reasoning is... Since this game is not created through the survival horror genre.

I have a lot of negative things to say about the game play mechanics as well. I found myself confused as to what just happened in many action sequences. For instance at one point, I thought I had been eaten by a certain monster I was swimming away from. It would catch all the way up to me, widely open it's huge mouth and dive on top of me. Yet, I would not receive any damage and I would still be swimming as if I hadn't been hit. It was very confusing visually and I couldn't tell what was going on what so ever. I even put down my controller in preparation for a death scene thinking I had been killed multiple times during this sequence.

For those of you who have been keeping up with the series since the beginning, this game will be an obvious shift in the wrong direction. I struggled finding any connections to the previous form of this series.

For those of you who are new to the series, I can't really comment on your opinions. If they simply slapped a different title on this game and made it a part of a different zombie series all together than this game would have been just fine by me. I still didn't enjoy playing it that much even outside of using my old school bias, the game wasn't entertaining.
1111 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 7, 2012
Resident Evil 4 was a great game. Resident Evil 5 continued that tradition, but some of the luster was lost. I greatly enjoyed the cooperative play that was gained, even if it made the game less terrifying than its predecessor.

Resident Evil 6, however, is terrible. The story is a mess. The controls are abstruse. You cannot pause the game, like, ever. And this is 2012. Why are we still doing quick time events in games? The developers got carried away with over the top cutscenes and online features that seem like a waste in such a joyless game. Gone are the systems for upgrading weaponry. Most enemies can just be ignored by running past them. It's a bad, bad game. If you don't mind profanity, look up the Zero Punctuation video review of this title.

If you're a die-hard fan of the series, you already own this game. If you're not, skip it. Play RE4 or RE5 instead.