5.0 out of 5 stars Avatar 3D: RE Afterlife 3D Blu Ray Review: Buy it
Published on December 31, 2010 by QuickSilverSeven

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but not great
Published on January 3, 2011 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Avatar 3D: RE Afterlife 3D Blu Ray Review: Buy it, December 31, 2010
This review is from: Resident Evil: Afterlife [Blu-ray 3D] (Blu-ray)
Yes, Paul W Anderson, the director of Resident Evil Afterlife 3D, used the same Fusion 3D camera set up as Avatar, evidenced by the film credits and 3D featurette on the 3D Blu Ray, which also plays standard 2D. The 3D as a result, looks excellent and better than most 3D films out there, excluding Imax's Studio Nature productions. From the opening to the end, everything pops out far greater than you might have seen. The rain in RE:A3D looks spectacular and the depth really shines as though you're "in the movie". This is what 3DHDTV was made for. If you miss this and own a 3DTV, your loss if you like action movies.

The movie has elements of the Matrix's fight scenes and slow motion, with The Walking Dead's zombie infested city. The film covers Alaska, Tokyo and Los Angeles. The opening action scene is a highlight and really slick, packed with blazing machine guns and acrobatics. There's also a Axe man scene worth buying this disc for alone, and a cool but short end fight scene with RE5's Albert Wesker. The story is a basic "escape plan" movie, but in the RE style. This is the best one so far IMO.

The featurettes are 47 minutes total, and informative, including cast interviews. There's also a screen in screen presentation, director commentary track, deleted and extended scenes and more.

Overall, if you own or eventually plan to buy a 3DHDTV, buy this version for a few extra bucks, as it plays in regular 2D on regular HDTV's and players and looks great in 2D, but exceptional in 3D.
Movie: 8/10
3D: 9/10
Extras: 7/10

5.0 out of 5 stars 3D Review by a 3D Connoisseur, February 10, 2011
Keith Niemeyer (LaCrosse, WI USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Resident Evil: Afterlife [Blu-ray 3D] (Blu-ray)
My ratings are based mainly on the QUALITY OF THE 3D, not the video content.

There are about 70 out of screen effects that extend about 10% of the way, from the screen to the viewer. Another 30 around 25%. At 8:00 minutes a tri-blade throwing knife reaches 40% and at 64:00 minutes, a large blood spatter drop exceeds 50%. Too many OOS effects to pick my favorites.

*** A MUST SEE 3D - STATE OF THE ART AT ITS FINEST ***
*** Almost Continuous Action - Blood, Guts, Gore and Horror ***

MY 3D RATING = EXCELLENT (poor, fair, good, very good, excellent)

Note: As far as the percentages go, everyone's eyes are different. What I see at 25% you may see at 15% or 35%. To fully realize how far something is out of the screen for you, pause on an effect and direct a partner with an extended finger to the tip of what you are seeing. You may be surprised.

Click on `See all my reviews' for the lowdown on other 3Ds

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome in 3D!, October 15, 2010
D "Dave" (West Lawn, Pennsylvania United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Resident Evil: Afterlife (DVD)
I saw this at the movie theater in 3D (complete with special 3D glasses they handed out) and felt like I was right in it. Every bullet, star, punch, blast, you name it - went right between my eyes. I sat 4 rows from the front (I couldn't get any closer without not seeing the whole screen) and was completely devoured by every creature. What an experience! Note I saw this at another movie theater that did not have the 3D version and I loved it but much prefer the 3D version. I have to say that if you love Milla Jovovich and Ali Larter - you won't be disappointed. They look super hot and kick some serious butt! The two of them team up to defeat a 12 foot tall executioner dude with a massive ax/hammer. K-Mart makes an appearance at the end but doesn't say a word. No matter - there WILL be a Resident Evil 5; I bet she'll speak in that one. PLEASE NOTE: Don't get up and leave after the credits start - there is another minute of movie to go; and it explains how Resident Evil 5 will start! Go see this while it is still in the theater - You will NOT be disappointed if you are a Resident Evil fan! Bon appetite!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but not great, January 3, 2011
This review is from: Resident Evil: Afterlife (DVD)
There isn't much more to say about this chapter than what has already been said in the product description and reviews. I'm giving it 3 stars because it delivered exactly what we expect from a RE movie. Action, action, action but no real substance. It really seemed like this movie was one of those "We'll force you to make this movie or we won't let you make the other movie you want." feeling. It felt like filler.
I don't normally write short, lack of information, reviews but there just isn't any more to say than what has already been said.
Needed to know before watching...Remember how in the last movie, Alice was now really powerfull and it looked like she would have an army of Alice's? The film makers decided, lets have everyone get drugged (yet again) and have their memories erased and this will explain why we are making yet another film. What??!! Wesker hits Alice with a serum to make her human again? But..He can still track her, she still survives a plane crash (just walks away)? When fighting, she still seems to have these abilities but they seemed dulled down. It was just something that bugged me about the plot from the start.
Buy it if you are a fan of Milla and the series but if you arent' a big fan, let it go. Rent it instead of buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars This is response to William Merrill "eclecticist's review, December 17, 2010
This review is from: Resident Evil: Afterlife [Blu-ray 3D] (Blu-ray)
This is response to William Merrill's review, if in fact you have played the latest major installment of the Resident Evil game franchise(which would be Resident Evil 5) you would know that the fight between Chris Redfield/Alice/Claire Redfield against Albert Wesker in the movie was based loosely but not too dramatically different from Resident Evil 5's flashback sequence where Chris redfields remembers himself and Jill Valentine fighting Wesker. And in that sequence Wesker fights exactly the same, with Matrix style fast moves in which they slow down the camera to catch all the action and suspense of the fight. SO technically the movie wasnt exactly copying the signature Matrix Bullet-time technique, the game had and the movie took that element for the same purpose. Just to clear that up...onto the review...Resident Evil: Afterlife was an awesome 3D movie experience(for those who were lucky enough to catch the movie in all its 3D format glory)...it was well worth the price of admission to see this movie in 3D...it definitely took the Resident Evil franchise to new heights with its 3D action including fights ane zombies and all that gory jazz...Being an avid fan of Resident Evil games then movies and Zombie movie's in general I truly enjoyed this movie experience(and can't wait for the next installment)..though with all that said, like every sequel, it did have its flaws...mostly just in the flow of the movie...long drawn out flight sequences kept this movie from my 5 star rating but other than that make sure you catch this movie in its 3D format(the way the movie was meant to be released...
~JP~

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the biggest of this year!, September 10, 2010
This review is from: Resident Evil: Afterlife (DVD)
If you are a Resident Evil fan, you will love this movie. Of course, I have to say that there were some discrepancies throughout the movie. Overall, this movie promises to keep you on the edge of your seat the whole time. I will sure keep an eye on this DVD.

UPDATE: reading the other reviews I suddenly realize that I believe it's a great movie because I am a diehard fan who has read all the books, watched all movies and most importantly played most games, and that is why I did not need an explanation for most of the storyline. If this is your first Resident Evil movie, I suggest you first get familiar with previous movies and/or books. I am not going to go into details because I do not want to spoil. For fans this movie is not a let down in any way and the best thing is that an afterlife is not the end for this installment :D

4.0 out of 5 stars LOVED it!!, September 10, 2013
Great movies! I had never seen any of the Resident Evil movies; before my son talked me into this movie. Very happy with this purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars 3D is FANTASTIC, August 16, 2011
kallidad (Minneapolis, MN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Resident Evil: Afterlife [Blu-ray 3D] (Blu-ray)
It's another Resident Evil movie, so no surprises. The movie's good, but the 3D is unbelievable. The beginning of the second scene will blow you away, but that's just one amazing 3D event in this movie. I watched it (multiple times) on a new LG Infinia 55LW6500 3D LED HDTV, and a LG LHB976 Home Theater 3D system. I'm new to 3D and the first few movies I watched were not impressive. This one however blew me away. It's what I show everyone when I want to show off my new system. It's really a must have.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good 3D Movie, July 20, 2011
Daniel (Stockton,CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Resident Evil: Afterlife [Blu-ray 3D] (Blu-ray)
If you are looking for good 3D movies to watch,then i would watch this!...Nice fight scenes in 3D,alot of cool stuff flying everywhere..Bullets,airplanes,blood,guts..etc.Nice movie...worth watching for the 3D and the story of movie is ok,not the best movie ever made,but not the worst.I give the movie 3.5 stars and the 3D 4 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Milla Jovovich and Ali Larter?, October 7, 2013
Wuchak (Eastern USA) - See all my reviews
It works for me.

"Resident Evil: Afterlife" (2010) is the 4th installment in the series, which started with 2004's "Resident Evil". These are the only two films I've seen in the series so I obviously don't consider them "must see" movies and, yet, I have to admit to being thoroughly entertained when I do. They're basically superhero vs. zombies flicks with loads of style and pizazz. You can't take 'em too seriously and, yet, the stories & characters are ironically dead-serious.

I call these "superhero" flicks because that's what Milla Jovovich is as Alice in a "last people on earth" scenario. She's dressed in a skintight black outfit with a weapons harness and looks stunning throughout. In this segment she meets up with Claire (Ali Larter) and they fly to a Los Angeles prison where a small group are holed-up against the legions of zombies. They seek to get to an offshore ship, a thought-to-be safehaven from the hordes.

Writer/director Paul W.S. Anderson is an expert at making great-lookin' movies with a cool sense of style. In addition, the score and soundtrack are excellent.

Being based on a video game, which I've never played, there's loads of action, which gets cartoony at times (e.g. the giant with the axe).

The best part is the women. It's hard to choose who's better: Milla or Ali. They're both great, but Ali might have the edge. As magnificent as these two are, they throw in more, like the gorgeous Kacey Barnfield.

Taking it for what it is, "Resident Evil: Afterlife" is a dang entertaining movie.

GRADE: B+

Resident Evil: Afterlife [Blu-ray 3D]
Resident Evil: Afterlife [Blu-ray 3D] by Paul W.S. Anderson (Blu-ray - 2010)
$45.99 $19.39