5.0 out of 5 stars Avatar 3D: RE Afterlife 3D Blu Ray Review: Buy it
Yes, Paul W Anderson, the director of Resident Evil Afterlife 3D, used the same Fusion 3D camera set up as Avatar, evidenced by the film credits and 3D featurette on the 3D Blu Ray, which also plays standard 2D. The 3D as a result, looks excellent and better than most 3D films out there, excluding Imax's Studio Nature productions. From the opening to the end, everything...
Published on December 31, 2010 by QuickSilverSeven

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad but not great
There isn't much more to say about this chapter than what has already been said in the product description and reviews. I'm giving it 3 stars because it delivered exactly what we expect from a RE movie. Action, action, action but no real substance. It really seemed like this movie was one of those "We'll force you to make this movie or we won't let you make the other...
Published on January 3, 2011 by Amazon Customer

‹ Previous | 1 2 356 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars A New Way to Use Your Spare Change, January 10, 2011
I remember way back in 2002 when Resident Evil came out how skeptical I was about a video game transfer to the big screen. But you gotta hand it to Writer/Director Paul Anderson on that one; he made a great, Action/Horror film.

Then along came Resident Evil: Apocalypse (RE2) in 2004. Anderson wrote the script, but turned the directing reins over to noob Alexander Witt...and you saw Witt's inexperience all over the movie. RE2 added an amateurish hokeyness that wasn't present in the original.

In 2007 the series returned to straight-up Action/Horror with Resident Evil: Extinction (RE3). RE3 never got as dark and creepy as RE1, but it was a lot better than RE2. Anderson again wrote the script, but relied on vet Russ Mulcahy (remember the cult 80s hit Highlander?) to direct. For RE3, Mulcahy went back to a lot of the basics that made the original so good.

Paul Anderson is back in the Writer/Director's chair for Resident Evil Afterlife, and he continues with the straight-up Action/Horror format. There are good old fashioned scares, tons of action and the story never get boring. The acting and action are often cliché and over the top, but it's all good.

The story is pretty consistent throughout all four movies. The deadly T-Virus is accidentally (or not) released by the Umbrella Corporation, and it's up to Milla Jovovich to save the world from its effects: zombies, unthinkable mutations (man and animal alike) and the psychotic minds of the Umbrella Corp.

What's really cool is that Anderson keeps a lot of the themes in place that originated in the video game series that the movie was adapted from. For example, in Afterlife we see some of the elements recently introduced in Resident Evil 5, the most recent addition to the game series. There's Wesker and his modified abilities; there are the new human and animal mutations that spew a reptilian protrusion from their mouth or head to attack; there's "The Axe Man"; and be sure to watch the closing credits for an introduction to a video game character staple that has been conspicuously absent from the movie series.

It's certainly not necessary to watch all the movies in chronological order to understand what's going on in the individual releases. But if you're into the Action/Horror genre, and you haven't seen the first three, I recommend just starting from the beginning and enjoy the ride. And as of this writing the individual releases in my links above are really cheap on Blu Ray here at Amazon. None in the series have topped the 2002 original, but Afterlife comes the closest.

3.0 out of 5 stars Movie Good, Blu-Ray Bad, January 3, 2011
MacDuff "griffith122" (Fredericksburg, Va United States) - See all my reviews
First if you enjoyed the previous Resident Evil movies then you will probably enjoy this one as well. Likewise if you hated them, then there is nothing new in this one that will change your mind. This movie for the most part suffers like most sequels; the fact they are not as good as the one before. The same is true with this movie. I enjoyed it and do not regret buying it, but it does suffer in the fact it was obviously made for 3D and I bought the 2D version. Don't get me wrong I have enjoyed 3D movies, but this movie seemed to be one Matrix-like bullet time scene after another connected by brief segments of story. This movie would have been better with a few less of these bullet time scenes and the money spent on authors to develop the characters. As for suspense, I found there to be very little. It was all too predictable. It does setup the inevitable sequel during the closing credits. Let's hope they spend the money on writers and move closer to the quality of the first and even second one in the series. For the first time Resident Evil viewer, do yourself a favor and watch them in order, the first one is the best of the series and the second and third weren't bad and then watching this one will be easier to take.

As to my rating, I can't give it 5 stars that would be Gone with the Wind like and this wasn't. I would give it 3 and a half but that's not a choice. I gave it 3 because of the poor execution of the Blu-Ray. At least in my player you had to watch two Sony commercials and then several trailers totaling over 8 minutes. During this time my player's menu and chapter advance buttons were not operative. Fortunately I could fast forward, but that still took time. I strongly object to being forced to watch commercials on disks I have bought and I will think twice before buying another Sony Pictures disk.

5.0 out of 5 stars More for the diehard fans (some spoilers below), December 29, 2010
To begin, movies based on video games will never be as good as the video games, they are homage to a great franchise, but Resident Evil has done the best I think. Also to be noted, many thought that there were many things not explained or didn't make sense in this film installment. However, it MUST be known that in this particular movie, elements are ripped straight out of the game, mostly from Resident Evil 5. If you have played Resident Evil 5, this movie was made for you. RE5 is where the Executioner came from, Las Plagas (the new zombies), the device found stuck to Claire, Wesker's guard dogs that split in half, and his super powers, all the way down to his outfit, some of his dialogue and action moves: ALL from RE5. The way he tosses around Chris and Claire during the ending fight is the same as the game too. If you have not played RE5, Afterlife may seem confusing or random. The climactic scene with fighting Wesker could have been longer, but was still done fairly well. This movie was more directed toward the diehard fans (like me) I think, which is why those of us who have played the game don't need anything explained. We know Chris (well portrayed by Wentworth Miller) and we know Claire, and we definitely know Wesker. We know all about Las Plagas and how deadly that Executioner's axe can be. If anything, this movie should make you want to play the games. There will definitely be a fifth movie (judging by the end of Afterlife) and I am excited because all diehard fans should be. Perhaps the moviemakers decided to cater more to the long-time fans this time, and I shout out a big thank you to that! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fourth time's a charm, September 10, 2010
Monkdude (Hampton, Virginia) - See all my reviews
I didn't expect to be writing this, but Resident Evil: Afterlife might be my favorite of the series so far. Sure the plot is weak and the characters are thinly written, but each individual movie has never really been about that. It's just another continuation of one large story that will probably come to an end in the next installment.

Aside from being easy on the eyes, Milla Jovovich (who somehow looks better than ever), still makes for a compelling action hero and Ali Larter sure looks good standing next to her. The other characters here, including Prison Break's Wentworth Miller as Chris Redfield, aren't given that much to do, but they also don't get on your nerves. I did appreciate the fact that they cut out all of the needless trying too hard to be funny dialogue of the past. You know, the scenes involving Mike Epps. Wesker made for a decent villain and the big dude carrying the axe put the silly looking Nemesis creature from Apocalypse to shame. Paul W.S. Anderson returns after two sequels and the visual quality is a step up. While he's far from being a great director, his good attributes show up on screen.

As for a few minor negatives. Like I said before, the story just links the 3rd movie to the future 5th, but there is still enough going on to hold your interest. Not only did the final fight scene borrow too heavily from The Matrix, but all those people emerging in those white outfits reminded me of The Island as well. Now as far as the slow motion goes, it looked good in 3-D, but was overused.

The bottom line is that if you're a fan of the movie series you've come to the right place and should know what to expect. You have two attractive women, good CGI, exciting fight scenes complete with rated R violence (yay!), with no shortness of B movie vibe.

The IMAX 3-D experience was worth the extra $4, even though most of the scenes, other than when stuff was flying trough the air, looked rather flat. Make sure you don't do what I did by leaving the theater too fast. I read that there is a scene about 30 seconds into the end credits that features Sienna Guillory in the Jill Valentine role once again.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Resident Evil movie, July 29, 2014
Part of the joys of this series is that while it has a rich history and world it keeps building upon, each new entry is easy for beginners too. Every film almost acts like a reboot into a new subgenre of this sci-fi/horror series.

For this 4th film, after a stunning shoot-em-up opening replete with Matrix-level effects, carnage and destruction, the meat of the story is a pretty bare-bones tale of survival and escape from a prison during a zombie invasion (pre-Walking Dead,) featuring a smaller cast and scale than some of the other films. But while the setting is more intimate than usual, the effects have not been skimped on, featuring some fantastic creatures and awesome "boss" beasts.

Jovovich is simply the best action heroine going today bar none, with great intensity and emotion and killer moves.

The grand finale is also fantastic in its adventurous mystery, embracing the rich potential of the premise by having another ultimate sequence filled with sci-fi, action and horror as only these movies can.

4.0 out of 5 stars Speaking as a fan of the series-- great movie, January 5, 2011
This review is from: Resident Evil: Afterlife (DVD)
While there were some disappointments (the army of Alices played only a minor role, and many things called for suspension of disbelief), overall, (speaking as a resident evil fan), this was a superb movie. In all honestly, speaking objectively, I would call it just another action flick. However my attachment to the characters, mixed with my love of well done action films (and this was well done- plenty of original and epic camera shots and slow motion) causes me to label it an excellent movie. Filled with more than enough gore and action, Mila Jovovich is, as always, a spectacular Alice, paired well with Ali Larter and Wentworth Miller. I enjoyed the larger role Claire played in this film, complimenting Alice's 'fighter-girl' persona with her own. While this film did not leave as much room for character development as I would have liked, it gave enough for me to become attached to the new characters, and more so to the old. My favorite part about this movie however, is that I believe it is the first horror-centered film in which (spoiler) the black guy makes it to the end. Filled with epic battle scenes, suspense, and even a few emotional (if cliche) moments, I enjoyed this movie quite a bit, and I believe anyone else who has enjoyed the past resident evil movies will as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally an effective action-sci fi flick, September 10, 2010
This review is from: Resident Evil: Afterlife (DVD)
As far as movies based on video games go, the Resident Evil series has been a cut above the rest. One good reason for this is the director, Paul WS Anderson, and his wife, actress Milla Jovovich (as Alice), who have created all four of the films together. None of the last three has quite topped the first RE, but then that's usually the case with sequels, right? (With a few notable exceptions.) Still, this 2010 version of RE is pretty impressive, especially with the introduction of 3D to the RE universe. The story consists of several very strong scenes separated by passages of relative dullness. The same is true of the 3D, which is used well at various points along the way, but there are also many times where it wouldn't have made any difference whether things were shown in 2 or 3D (as when the only 3D is the character standing out against the background). But when this movie is good, it is very very good. That includes highlights such as the 3D shots of Alice's small plane flying over coastal Cali and a destroyed LA; and especially the fight with the giant, hooded Executioner guy (probably the film's best scene). By contrast, the climactic fight with the main Umbrella Corp bad guy near the end feels relatively ordinary.

While I enjoyed RE Afterlife and am glad I saw it, there were a few minor problems (sorta) such as how so many fight scenes borrowed very heavily from The Matrix (something a lot of filmmakers do). That gave some of the fighting a "been there, done that" feeling. Also there were a bunch of things that either were not explained, didn't make sense, or defied any logic. In the "no explanation" category is the Executioner -- what is he and where did he come from? I think the answer is he exists for no reason except to be a cool, scary enemy, as was generally true of other "monsters" in both the games and movie series. But with the "Suspension of Disbelief" required in all movies of this type, these kinds of issues were really not problems. Those things were not the main reason I dropped a star in my rating. No, it was the lulls in action and 3D during the movie. But the good things definitely outweighed the bad overall.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are a fan of the Resident Evil series you will love this movie., January 7, 2011
This review is from: Resident Evil: Afterlife (DVD)
As an admitted fan of the Resident Evil series, I have seen all four at both the movie theater as well as buying all the films. I will have to admit that seeing the latest one, Resident Evil: Afterlife, in 3D on a big screen was absolutely fantastic, but I still enjoyed seeing it on DVD. It seems Milla Jovich was made for this successful series, which obviously her husband also agrees.

The beginning scene with a whole group of Alices taking down the Umbrella Corporation has the most action, but there are enough tense moments throughout the film to keep you interested. Personally, I like the third of this series the best so far, but they are all action packed films that most people have come to expect from the Resident Evil Series. Since I am into edged and other weapons, especially the Gurka and samurai swords, the use of a variety of weapons by Alice makes these films a must see for me.

Rating: 5 Stars. Joseph J. Truncale (Author: Monadnock Defensive Tactics System)

4.0 out of 5 stars Quite the Action Movie!!!, February 8, 2011
Geoffrey Hybel (Carmel, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I have really enjoyed the Resident Evil films even though they deviated from the video games some. I like that they bring the people and the creatures from the games into the movies. This fourth outing things change for Alice. She meets back up with Claire Redfield and later on reunites her with her brother Chris Redfield while trying to find safe haven from the infection of the T-Virus. She faces new enemies in her quest to stop Wesker. Lots of neat fight scenes and really well played action scenes. I look forward to Paul Anderson's next movie when it comes out. One last thing keep watching during the credits for another scene. One of Alice's friend's comes back(Jill Valentine from RE:Apocalypse playerd by Sienna Guillory) but now she works for Wesker. I missed this scene at the theaters by literally 10 seconds when I walked out. Enjoy this film, I really did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Resident Evil- Afterlife, November 30, 2010
This review is from: Resident Evil: Afterlife (DVD)
I have the first 3 movies on DVD and they are FANTASTIC. I went to see this in 3-D and was determined to hate the 3-D effects but was pleasantly surprised. I thought like so many movies now being filmed in 3-D that I would hate it like others in this formst which is the big selling point. I knew after the first 3 movies that there would be justice done to Alice and friends and a well written storyline. But I was really impressed with the 3-D effects which blew me away and changed my mind about the new updated 3-D format. I wanted to go Back in and see it again immediately but had things to do, so I can't wait to receive this and watch it over and over. Also, I can't wait for another installment in the Alice franchise, Keep up the great work and I will be there for each new movie.

‹ Previous | 1 2 356 | Next ›

Resident Evil: Afterlife
Resident Evil: Afterlife by Paul W.S. Anderson (DVD - 2010)
$14.99 $10.29