Resident Evil Archives: Resident Evil
Price:$15.75 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on June 30, 2009
Here some tips:

>it supports 480p resolution :) (gamecube only 480i)
>Wiimote Only OR Wiimote + Nunchuck OR Classic Controller OR Gamecube Controller
>No changes at all vs game cube version
>One Disc Only (vs two disc gamecube version) :)
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 14, 2009
I first played Resident Evil as a senior in high school, and I didn't really like it. I was surprised that it made game of the year (If I remember right). It wasn't until I played part 2 that I began to like the series. Code Veronica for the Saturn was stunning, and was the only reason I bought a Saturn.

I didn't even know there had been a remake of part 1 until 3 days ago, so I borrowed my friend's Wii and tried it out. I thought this game was incredible.

Visuals/Graphics --> beautiful. The gripe I have with the fixed camera angles is that it's hard to see what's really going on or about to happen. Sometimes, as in the real part 1, I'd be fighting an enemy while the screen kept popping back and forth b/w two views. Annoying. However, you can learn to deal with it. The big reason I like the fixed angles is the beauty. I've yet to feel that RE4 and RE5 have as much beauty as RE0 and this one. Also, as one reviewer said better, it does make the game scarier.

Sound --> terrific. I love the zombie sounds, as monotonous as they may be. I played this on my 7.1 system, and hearing that random thunder scared the heck out of me. You could kill a monster, stand there for a second, and then the thunder just goes off. Timing! It just sounded great! I also loved the sound of that stun gun destroying the zombies.

Gameplay/Moves --> great. The dagger and stun gun were awesome. Movement is a bit clumsy, but, it's like the others, really.

Overall, this game was a blast. To the updated graphics/sound to big-as* Neptune (that scared the heck out of me) to Tyrant (I hated them all, except this one), this game is worth the buy, and I'm considering buying a Wii just for this game. Also, the Lisa Trever storyline was a great addition, and with a disturbing theme. My last gripe is about those giving this game a low score. They seem to keep comparing this game to RE4 & 5. Those two games ARE NOT, to me, true to the way the series started. I never thought I'd see an RE game that reminded me of Doom or Halo, but it occurred, and I'm curious as to who/what made Capcom reinvent (?) the series like this (obviously I can't stand Doom/Halo). Comparing RE4 & 5 to earlier Resident Evils I think is confusing, as I think these latest two games are tailored to a younger generation. Nevertheless, thank you Capcom for this game.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 17, 2012
After reading the one star reviews of this game I realized something. Resident Evil 4 was more than likely those reviewers first RE outing and thus (in my opinion) completely negates their reviews. I usually don't make jabs at others opinions, but for someone to give this a one star rating based on it being "exactly like the original" is ludicrous. The original was on Playstation, not Gamecube, and was actually quite different from the Wii and GC version.
In the Wii remake, everything that made RE one of the greatest games of all time is still here. The thing that blew me away was the graphics. I own a PS3 as well, and while this game is obviously not as crisp, it's still beautiful. So much so that it's actually pretty intense at times. In my opinion, RE games are not action based zombies-can-shoot-things-at-you-because-they're-actually-monsters-not-zombies type of games. They're tight corridor, dim-lit, fixed camera games. Please don't get me wrong, I love RE4 and RE5, and can't wait for RE6, but those are separate games from the first three.
While this game is incredibly familiar, they have added some things to it. There's a little more outside exploration, as well as new puzzles. For example in the original (on PS1) there's a room with knight statues that you must push over grates in the floor before pushing the switch. This room is still in the Wii version, only with a slightly different puzzle and completely different item. I've only played about 4 hours of it so far, and just killed the snake. Like I said , it's a little different, but for the most part the same game. I love how in the dialogue they will sometimes say the same thing in the same tone of voice as the original, even though back then the voice acting was laughable.
The camera is fixed, and it's amazing. I read somebody actually complaining that when walking down one hall the camera may go to 3 or 4 different views. I know which hall he's talking about and I have gone out of my way when back tracking just to see it again. The shadows, the way the angle will be cocked to the side sometimes, it's amazing. And there's nothing more intense in a game IMO than when you walk into a room and can only hear a scratching sound or a zombie moan and not be able to see them. Believe me, you won't be just rushing into that room with a laser scope attached.
The best update throughout the time I've played so far (other than the graphics of course) has got to be the greatest enhancement any game has received relative to its content of all time: The zombies can break through doors! That's right, if you go into a room full of zombies and run past them you'll only be safe for a little while in the next room. The first time this happened three zombies burst through the windows of one room, causing me to haul ass. When I got through the door, after about 5 - 10 seconds, I heard a slight rattle. As soon as I saw the door knob jiggle I thought "Impossible..." then the door flung open with a crash and they poured in. I COULD NOT BELIEVE THAT THEY PUT THIS INTO THE GAME! This type of thing happens all the time in the new ones, but for that to happen in the mansion playing as Jill Valentine (before she went blonde)with fixed cameras in the room that you see the very first zombie of the entire series in was absolutely awesome beyond belief. One last thing, Rebecca's not in this one (so far that I've seen) and Jill played Moonlight Sonata. That statement alone should have players of the original rush to the store. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and do yourself a favor and go get it before the price is through the roof in a couple of years.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on February 23, 2010
Verified Purchase
Originally released for Gamecube, Resident Evil (also known as REmake) comes to the Wii console without any major additions but is still incredible and worth every penny.

Using the "classic" format of the older RE games (pre-RE4 style), this is the definitive version. RE2 may have had more jump scares, but this game has much more suspense and of course superior graphics. Even today this game impresses with it's lushly detailed pre-rendered backgrounds and high-polygon character models. Chris & Jill never looked so good, and in fact I prefer how they look here compared to their new RE5 designs. This game is pure survival horror, so if you tire of the more action based game play of RE4/5 then get this game ASAP.

In terms of visuals and in game extras, it's exactly the same deal as with the GC game. While it would have been nice to get a wide screen mode, the game can be stretched to fit your screen by setting the Wii settings to 4:3 and fiddling with your HDTV options. The game doesn't look bad this way, but given the choice I prefer the 4:3 aspect. It would have been cool if Capcom had used the extra space from the borders to display the map/items or health meter during game play. This way the game would retain it's proper aspect but still take advantage of the extra space from the wide-screen TV.

Despite being on the bare bones side, this port does include one major visual improvement over the Gamecube version;http://www.amazon.com/review/edit-review 480p progressive scan mode. I admit this was the main reason why I picked up this port since I already own the GC version. In 480p, the game looks much sharper on my CRT HDTV. I also tried this mode through VGA on my PC monitor, and wow beautiful stuff. Even if it might seem like a small visual improvement, adding 480p to the package is worthwhile for those audio/visual enthusiasts out there.

In terms of controls, the game allows you with the option to use the Wii remote only, remote/nunchuk combo, classic controller and finally Gamecube pad. Currently I'm trying to finish the game using the classic controller and it offers a fresh experience. In short, REmake vets who want to try out different control setups have a good variety to choose from here, as well as the original GC controls.

And I should also point out there is no need to swap discs anymore either unlike the GC version which was spread across 2 discs. This makes speedruns a bit less annoying and it just feels nicer to have the entire game on one disc.

Overall I'm satisfied with this port of Resident Evil. It could have been a whole lot more, with new puzzles and features, but with the addition of 480p and new control setups, it's still a satisfying re-releases.
on February 24, 2010
I am a die hard RE fan. One thing i cant stand are the people who bash the good games and praise the bad. This is a remake of the very FIRST RE game that came out on the first playstation. In comparison of the two this by far blows the original away. Alot of the complaints on this game are from people who have played RE4 first. If you are a true fan than you know you cant compare the two considering this came out first. They took a totaly different approach for RE4 and i have to commend CAPCOM on venturing into a new world with it. But as far as judging the classics, this is at the top.
on January 19, 2010
First of All, you will not find huge changes between this version and the original Resident Evil, but if you REALLY Love Resident Evil saga, you MUST have this one, the graphics are spectacular, is like open your eyes and then those old graphics in your PS One, now take shape, contrast and it looks just marvelous.

There are some minor changes on the gameplay and mainly defense, new bosses and other changes, but Man it is worthy, you'll have moments coming back to feel what you felt when first played RE but with increased intensity.

Camera Angles still fixed (pre rendered) but what the heck the intention of this game seems to be revive the experience as close as possible to the original providing an upgrade to your senses with much better visual and sound presentation, or at least that is how this was for me.

Come on RE lovers, if this title still is not in your collection, go for it
Verified Purchase
Well after reading all the reviews and being a Biohazard fan since day one of its release back in 96, I think, I have a few things to mention. Resident Evil (Biohazard in Japan) is a survival horror game since it first came out. Those of you complaining about the fixed camera angles and the controls need to know that this is the original Resident Evil and times have changed since. Resident Evil was meant to have fixed camera angles and the controls are as is all the way through RE3 Nemesis. Once all games went 3D alot of things changed. The way of controlling the character changed starting with RE:Code Veronica. It seemed awkward at first but fans got used to it and now that more time has gone by we have games like RE4 and RE5. I like All of the Resident Evil games and have had to get used to the change of controls and have never complained. But yeah, Resident Evil has changed alot. I have always been a loyal fan of Sony and never owned a console made by Nintendo. I have played and I own all of the RE games except for RE4 and Code Veronica because they're not on PS3 so I went ahead and purchased a Wii and got RE4 and this Resident Evil remake of the original (still no Code Veronica). I had never played the remake before and after playing it i have to say that I really liked it. Like in RE5 "Lost In Nightmares" either Chris or Jill says when they are revisiting the mansion after 10 years i think, "Kinda Takes You Back" and thats exactly what I was thinking as I was playing the game. There are new things in this remake that were not in the original. There are new rooms to explore and there is one room that was left out from the original. I like the improved graphics and I like how you can see them blink. Still the same game I remember from back in the days but different at the same time. I've read that its the same thing as the GameCube port but I wouldn't know...never owned anything by Nintedo up until now. If you have played the original and haven't checked out this version, you should. I don't think you'll be disappointed. I know I wasn't. I have surround sound and I love when its dark and I hear a zombie moan and I don't know if they're around the corner and I love the fixed camera angles!!....just like the good times, Kinda Takes You Back. Hope this helps someone considering of playing this game. I was thinking of getting RE0 but I see more negative than positive reviews about it? Anyone recommend?
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 28, 2009
Verified Purchase
So this game is almost exactly like Resident Evil 1. You still have trouble seeing enemies coming at you down the other end of the hallway. There are puzzles everywhere, and only limited inventory space, and limited ammo.

They did some things right though. The graphics are obviously much better. They got rid of the terrible acting job of the original and even managed to alter the set up of the mansion just a little. This game is for those who want to play the original without having to suffer through out dated graphics and bad acting. After having recently played the Director's Cut on the PS3, I wasn't in much of a mood to play the remake all over again. One of these days I'll go back and play it.
on April 11, 2012
I believe this game is a great remake of most of the events in the original 'Resident Evil' on PS1. I completed it with both Jill V. and Chris R., I unlocked all the extra costumes, seen all the endings...

I recommend this game for all players who loved the original 'Resident Evil' on PS1, and I recommed playing this game using a GameCube joystick which makes your gaming alot easier and fun.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 29, 2009
This is the all-time classic Resident Evil with better graphics and more content than the original release from the PSX.

The bad thing about this Wii port of the Gamecube remake is that there are no changes at all. The controls for this port have not been upgraded, which is a big letdown since I expected controls like RE 4. Because of that, the controls feel very dated, and you'll probably need a classic (or Gamecube) controller to enjoy playing this game.

It may seem like I'm complaining about a minor detail to some people, but as a Wii owner I think that the way of playing is what makes the Wii so unique. And also after seeing other Gamecube ports from Nintendo for the Wii, I expected more from Capcom.

Aside from that very important detail, the game is great. So if you never had the opportunity to own or play the Gamecube version (like me), or never played Resident Evil at all, give this release a try.
1717 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...