Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Video Game|Change

on March 26, 2012
As others have noted this game does not play like either the early RE games or RE4 or RE5. This game has it's own "feel" to it, and at times reminded me a lot of SOCOM Confrontation or SOCOM 4, especially the features where you can revive your fallen teammates. However, the mechanics on this are not very good. For example, during the heat of battle when you need to revive your teammates you are more likely to "hit x" (on the PS3) and pick up some supplies rather than revive your teammate. This is especially problematic during the boss battles and instead of being able to revive your teammate you pick up a flash grenade that you didn't want anyway and then get killed while trying to revive a teammate. And the AI always seems to get themselves killed and never bother to pick up herbs or heal themselves even when the supplies are close by. There were a few missions that I just left them dead and finished it on my own. It isn't that the game play is difficult so much as it is bad mechanics that cause you to die and make the game more frustrating than fun. By the time I got to the 5th campaign I just didn't care anymore and shut the game off and am returning it.

The graphics are sub-par in my opinion for a PS3 game, which doesn't surprise me since Slant Six was involved with the production of this game more so than Capcom I'm sure. Also when I played with HUNK in the mercenaries game for RE4 he was bad-ace at melee and kills, but in the online play for this game he sucks and is easily defeated. Same with Vector. The game showed promise at times, I especially like the camoflogue for HUNK and Vector, and playing Versus online had its moments but ultimately left me feeling disappointed. And for a full retail of $60 the single campaign is surprisingly short. If Capcom wanted to do something like this to tie us over to RE6 it should have been a $30 retail price since this game offers online play and not much else. I'm hoping the RE6 installment in November will not disappoint.

FINAL GRADE: C
77 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 3, 2016
Call me crazy, but this is the best modern action style Resident Evil I've played, I enjoyed it way more than 4, and as good if not better than 5 and 6. Here you play as the bad guys in a hypothetical scenario during the Raccoon City outbreak, think of it as RE 2 and 3 from Umbrella's perspective. In some ways is very similar the Outbreak series on the PS2, you pick a scenario and characters and gain points from many tasks which you can use to upgrade your characters and weapons. The main single player campaign mode is short but by RE standards feels just right, it took me like 15 hours to beat on normal difficulty, some areas can get pretty tough and you're forced to rely on character's specific abilities in order to survive. I would recommend this to fans of Resident Evil 2, 3, Outbreak and Outbreak File #2 and to fans of third person shooters.
on May 20, 2013
it is too much hack and slash style than the typical strategy and sneak around that I am used to from the resident evil franchise. was a good idea and fun to play. and the faster zombies was a surprise I wasn't ready for.
on May 26, 2013
Ok, i'm going to try to make this review as short as possible. I've heard about this game before it's release date and when it finally released, i kind of held back on purchasing it until the price came down. Once the price went down to like 15 dollars, i took a chance on it. I've waited so long because so many people were saying how bad it was but as the updates presume, the bugs almost become non-existent and the reviews got alot better. The first level of this game is somewhat boring to me. You really see how bad the aiming is and it's like they just throw you in a level full of gunfire without really guiding you much as far as the story line goes. After that level, you and your team hit the streets. This is where the game shines. You actually get to shoot your first zombie on this level and the levels after that. I had a blast because it at least tried to represent the title. Not many zombies have much differences. You start to see the same ones repeatedly but you might tend to look pass that if you don't get your hopes too high. I like the 4 player mode but no one is really playing this online. At least not on the PS3 version. I would love to play with a live team because it would remind me of Left 4 Dead somewhat. I hate that they cant run. They can only walk and jog but at times when i want to get away from monsters that run faster than me, i can't because of how slow the characters move. That's a major gripe for me. It sometimes makes the gameplay sluggish and almost feels like the makers are just trying to stretch the completion of the game out. Another thing i don't like is the fact that u cant carry a decent amount of guns. What they allow you to carry is ok but i like to carry at least 4 weapons when playing a shooter like this one. The environments are ok. Nothing mind blowing but mediocre for current gen consoles. Another gripe is the A.I. The reviews are right. They do suck. Useless at times. They almost never have your back when you are getting shot at and when they are shooting, it's like they are using pellet guns or something because it never phases the enemy. It's just a bunch of people running around showing little team work and at times, they follow your character as if you are supposed to know where to go. Luckily, the map comes in handy. You can never get lost with it. There's alot of action in this though and it does have some replay value if you have friends online to play with. Ok, i'm gonna end this review right here since i'm only about 25% finished with the game. For a title that has gotten so many bad reviews, i did find myself playing at least an hour straight at a time so it isn't too bad of a game. Just look at it for what it is and not what you're used to seeing. I gave it 4 stars due to the minor gripes.
on March 22, 2012
First and foremost, much like RE4/5, this is not a survival horror game. If you can accept that fact, this game is very enjoyable for fans of the franchise. This is a 3rd person action shooter w/some elements of tactical play. I've only played the campaign so my comments are limited to that aspect of the game. Basically, this game is at its best when you have a couple of friends to tear through Racoon City along side of you. The graphics are okay for this generation of console but nothing ground breaking. The controls are just fine when you get used to them and menus are very easy to navigate i.e. inviting friends/joining games. Its also a nice trip down memory lane as you see many familiar sites from RE 2 and 3.

As far as gameplay, the game is a blast. Its not frustratingly difficult and there are plenty of zombies and bad guys to shoot. My only real complaint is that the amount of damage the enemies take seems excessive. Yeah, I get that they are wearing armor but a whole clip to put a guy down? Really? Also, they could have done a better job with the way zombies take damage. I was hoping that shooting a zombie in the leg or arm would cause that appendage to fly off, but that's not the case. With the exception of head shots, they all go down after about half clip depending on your weapon. Based on that I recommend a shotgun for close encounters :-)

Bottom line, the game is fun. Its not GOTY material nor is it survival horror. However, it is a chance to run through Racoon City w/a couple of your friends, all the while gunning down zombies and classic RE bad guys. What's not to like about that?
on August 16, 2012
Well the big thing I will say that everyone else on here is saying is, this is not like your usual resident evil game that you know and love. No inventory, no limited ammo and weapons. No survival horror. This is just a strait up action game with a veeeeery short, not really fun, campaign. The verus mode is ok. Some of the charachters have better abilites than others so if you don't get that person you are already behind the power curve. But as a fan of the series and, someone who loves to play a game to the fullest and complete all the trophies anc chanllenges, I would reccomend this game now that it is cheaper. I am happy to have my resident evil series complete. It is playable enough to give you your resident evil fix untill the sixth instalment comes out.
on December 17, 2013
I thought it would be a terrible game due to the fact that they released RE6 shortly after, I was wrong, although this game doesn't have the exact same gameplay of the previous resident evil games, it is still pretty fun, it is really cheap right now, so you won't regret buying it to pass some time.
on January 31, 2016
Don't get me wrong I love the resident evil series but the newer ones seem like there trying to be something its not it seems like there trying to copy western games which I usually hate but japan has always had great mechanics and a wide genre of unique games.I loved re4 and re5's playstyle where you had the zero turn feature please Capcom don't westernize you games I liked them how they always were just improve on what you originally worked with.
on February 26, 2014
THIS IS THE WORST RESIDENT EVIL GAME IN THE. WHOLE ENTIRE WORLD! I DONT UNDERSTAND HOW CAPCOM COULD DO THIS! I AM ONE OF THE BIGGEST RESIDENT EVIL FANS IN THE WORLD, I LOVE EACH ND EVERY GAME, PLAY THEM AAAALLLL DAY AND NIGHT BUT THIS GAME IS LAME, GRAPHICS ARE SO SO, GAMEPLAY IS ANNOYING AND THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO STORY LINE WORTH ANYTHING AT ALL. YOU JUST RUN AROUND AND SHOOT PEOPLE. LAAAAMMMEEEE. IF YOU LIKE A GAME WHERE ALL YOU DO IS SHOOT STUFF THEN THIS IS FOR YOU BUT I MYSELF ENJOY THE NORMAL RE STORYLINES, THE PUZZLES YOU HAVE TO FIGURE OUT, EVERYTHING IS ALWAYS SO COOL BUT THIS GAME HAS NONE OF THAT. I WISH I COULD RETURN IT FOR THE SIMPLE FACT THAT IT SUCKS SOOOOOOOOO BD BUT UNFORTUNATELY THAT ISNT THE SELLERS FAULT.......

THE SELLER SENT IT IN A TIMELY MATTER, SHIPPED IN THE BOX, NO SCRATCHES OR WEAR AND TEAR. PERFECT.....

I REALLY WANTED TO PUT ZERO STARS BECAUSE OF THE GAME BUT I GAVE THREE STARS SIMPLY BECAUSE THE SELLER DID HIS OR JOB PERFECTLY.
on December 22, 2014
Only thing I like about the game is that you're back in Raccoon City killing zombies and few other things that want to kill you. But what really made it into a joy kill game was the unlimited ammo just by killing zombies alone but really killed it the online VS. mode as well the barely use online co-op mode in the story part of the game plus barely have any DLC. Outbreak was far better then this one. If you like to kill lot of zombie with about unlimited ammo then this would be the game for you.