5.0 out of 5 stars I Don't Get These People
I don't get the people who trash these movies. What are they expecting? The RE series has never been about superb storytelling, characterization, and acting. It's about style and excitement! And that's what these movies are: High-octane action movies for guys. Especially their inner 14-year olds.

People here spend a lot of time trashing the RE movies, and this...
Published 20 months ago by The Cool Guy

3.0 out of 5 stars Got this to complete my Steelbook collection, but steep price...
Being a huge fan of the 'Resident Evil' movies since the beginning, I started collecting them in Steelbook after 'Extinction' was released. I was happy with the quality and value in the previous titles, but it seems these are going the way that most other products tend to, which means cheaper quality for higher price. I know the earlier titles were much heavier, higher...
Published 20 months ago by Kris Garvey

‹ Previous | 1 2 397 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY AWESOME IN 3D!!, September 19, 2012
D "Dave" (West Lawn, Pennsylvania United States) - See all my reviews
ALICE SHOT AND KNIFED ME BETWEEN THE EYES AND I LIVED TO TELL ABOUT IT!!!!! (Not to mention the large axe and giant licker removing my head, etc!) These effects were even better than RE#4. The best effect was when Alice slung the blade at me! I just about **** myself with that one! VERY REAL! It was right there!

Just a note, you do need 3D glasses to see it in 3D. The standard glasses do not fit over prescription glasses. A clip on (to prescription glasses) version of the 3D glasses exists. There is the non 3D version of the movie as well.

The movie opens where RE#4 left off - on top of the Arcadia (freighter) with all the humans released and enjoying their freedom. I was hoping to have K-MART and especially Claire back. We aren't shown it, but are left to assume the worst for them when Umbrella attacks. This in itself added an element of sadness to start it all. The opening scene in reverse was different, sort of a "wish we could go back and try again" in their remembrance. The movie does not pretend they never existed, we do see a few stills of K-MART, Claire & Chris Redfield from RE#4.

This is the New York sequence. Be prepared to get a haircut, a shave, and a beheading!

Part of the zombie mutation this time around seems to be INTELLIGENCE! There was a large bunch of Russian zombies operating vehicles and weapons with no problem (Moscow sequence)!

There was a bit of a love story in this. Alice falls in love with a little girl who mistakes her for her mommy (Suburbia sequence)! Alice's strong bond with the little girl is evident when she chases down and rescues the girl from a giant licker (despite everything about to get blown to kingdom come).

The zombies under ice was about as creepy as you can get. Alice sees them swimming under ice while battling evil Rain (RE#1). Rain falls under ice when Alice blows a hole in it; the zombies swarm up like piranha! One last attempt to break free as she says, "I'm coming for you!" Alice says, "Good luck with that!" as the zombies pull Rain under for good!

Something else different - one of the good guys turned bad.. turns good again! Remember Jill Valentine (RE#2 and very end of RE#4)?

The movie ends with a massive battle scene in progress (humankind versus zombies/dragons/red queen/etc.), and we know where it has to go now - but leaves room for RE#6. Alice and Albert Wesker versus the Red Queen? I wouldn't have seen that coming!

There is no surprise ending this time like RE#4 where the movie picks back up after about a minute of ending credits. There is no final blurb from Alice at the very, very end, such as "Is that any way to treat a lady (RE#4)?!" or "You're just another a****** (RE#3)!"

This movie opened at #1 this past weekend, and if it does well overall, rumor has it there will be RE#6! As a huge RE fan, this would be fine with me! Fingers crossed!

I have seen the movie twice in 3D, and liked it even more the second time! There is so much action going on continuously that it's hard to get it all the first time! Probably I'd see more the 3rd time. Constant surprises! (Nice, NRA protesting) Rain and Suburbia Alice have a conversation while speeding away from the zombies only to be suddenly interupted by a...well... go see it. You won't be sorry.

Final note: I am writing this at the time the movie is still in the theater and not yet out on dvd. So when the dvd does get released, I do not expect Amazon to separate the 3D from the non-3D reviews like last time (RE#4).

3.0 out of 5 stars Alice must pass the tests against replicants, December 28, 2012
James McDonald (Lancaster, California) - See all my reviews
Rated "R". 95 mins.
Returning: Milla Jovovich, Sienna Guillory, Oded Fehr, Michelle Rodriguez, Boris Kodjoe, Colin Salmon, Shawn Roberts, Takato Yamashita, Mika Nakashima, Ray Olubowale.
In archive footage only: Razaaq Adoti, Kim Coates, Martin Crewes, Iain Glen, Sandrine Holt, Thomas Kretschmann, Ali Larter, Spencer Locke, Eric Mabius, Wentworth Miller, James Purefoy, Norman Yeung, Anna Bolt, Indra Ove, Joseph May, Heike Makatsch,, Liz May Brice, Pasquale Aleardi.
The 5th Resident Evil movie, based upon the "Resident Evil" video games, begins with the ending of the mission in Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010) being played backwards as the opening credits begin, then Alice (Milla Jovovich) takes you through some quick archive footage of past movies to refresh your memory (most annoying opening sequence). Now the movie rolls forward from the end of the last mission to Alice falling in the ocean water. Suddenly, we see Alice waking up in her home. It is morning. Her red hair is longer. Her husband looks like Carlos (Oded Fehr) and she has a daughter, Becky (Aryana Engineer). As her husband comes out of the kitchen, he is attacked by a biohazard zombie. Alice grabs Becky and hides in the laundry room. Now a whole bunch of zombies are after her. She makes a hole in the ceiling that leads to the attic. (Must be soft wood). Now with Alice and Becky up in the attic, you will just have to watch the rest of the movie to find out what happens next.

Option of Language: English, French, English Audio Descriptive Service for the blind.
Option of Subtitles: English, French, Spanish.

Audio Commentary #1 with Paul W.S. Anderson, Milla Jovoich, Boris Koojoe.

Audio Commentary #2 with Paul W.S. Anderson and Jeremy Bolt.
Subtitles for Audio Commentary: English and Spanish.

Special Features:
Outtakes.
Drop (Un)Dead: The Creatures of Retribution. Resident Evil: Retribution: Face of the Fan.
Soundtrack and more.

Resident Evil [Blu-ray] (2002).
Resident Evil: Apocalypse [Blu-ray] (2004).
Resident Evil: Extinction [Blu-ray] (2007).
Resident Evil: Afterlife [Blu-ray] (2010).
Resident Evil: Retribution (+UltraViolet Digital Copy) [Blu-ray] (2012).

Update: August 2014. Milla Jovovich announces she is pregnant. Maybe they could start filming Resident Evil: Rising in the summer of 2015. It will be the last film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure action, Another great installment!!!, January 21, 2014
I'm just going to address the "haters" of these films first. Get over yourselves and quit watching movies that you know in advance aren't for you. If SciFi Action Thriller Zombie flicks are not your cup of tea (As is apparent by your comments) then why are you watching them?!?!?! Hipster "house wives" and their women need not waste their money and our time with their need to be negative ALL THE TIME in these comments. Its getting real old, real fast.

With that said, I'm just gonna say it as simply as possible. Milla Jovavoich. That is all you need to know. If the mention of that name sparks something inside you, then you will absolutely love this film! Non-stop action, insane graphics, great music, continuation/overlapping story arcs from the previous films, a MASSIVE teaser for the next installment... and Milla. You have PERFECTION.

4.0 out of 5 stars enjoyable, May 28, 2013
This review is from: Resident Evil: Retribution (+ UltraViolet Digital Copy) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
It is a nice one to pass time with and is one of the best of this series of movies.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good enough, April 2, 2013
It was entertaining for the 1+ hr, and I like Milla Jovovich, so not a waste of money in any way....for me.

4.0 out of 5 stars The series that gladly just won't die, September 16, 2012
Monkdude (Hampton, Virginia) - See all my reviews
I am a fan of the RE series, and much like the Underworld franchise, these are more fun and enjoyable than great pieces of cinema. The CGI and action scenes are the best of the five movies and this is a huge step up from Afterlife, though the plot and dialogue can be just as weak at times.

Milla Jovovich is back at what she does best (and looks good doing it) and so are a bunch of characters from previous installments. The actor who played Leon couldn't act worth a darn, but everyone else did okay.

I loved the reverse slow motion opening credits, complete with some nice music. The fight scenes with Alice and the chain in the white hallway and the finale with her against Jill Valentine were the highlights for me. The ending was pretty epic, setting up what looks to be the last entry in this action packed series.

The IMAX 3-D was good. Not really worth double price, but it added more than it took away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite possibly the Greatest ACTION TRASH ever made. EVER!, September 7, 2013
Unlucky Frank (Lalaland, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Have you ever had the hots for a regular looking nurse just because she was wearing those fleshy nylons and those retarded orthopedic shoes with the thick soles? And, you just knew you had to have her, or you would be living a dream unfulfilled? If so, you just might be weird enough to fully appreciate this Trashy Actioner.

The first time I saw this I was a little disappointed, to say the least. But, I was in the wrong mood. My bad. The second time I saw this, I had been up all night, and in the morning, I was dizzy with mental fatigue. I was in a somnambulistic trance. That fearful drooling vegetative state when you finally realize you've pretty much wasted your entire life in front of the idiot box and you've accomplished absolutely nothing of any value whatsoever. While the credits were rolling, sitting naked in my boxer briefs covered in Cheetos' dust & chocolate milk, the potato glaze of insomnia had finally wore off of me. Everything in my sedentary life was going as I had planned, but I knew that I needed to make a serious reassessment of this flick.

PLOT: Something about the Umbrella Corporation making the t-virus available to all the NWO powers, touching off a brand new arms race. A sort of bio-arms race, if you will. Then of course, the whole world mutates and humanity gets eaten, leaving very few survivors. I'm not kidding! The Red Queen goes homicidal once again in an underwater Russian Hive that clones clones clones, and clones more t-virus warriors in a sort of Disneyland gone mad "It's a Small World" battle simulator. Into this mess steps Albert Wesker, Alice, and all the rest of the characters from the RE video game universe. It's like an RE high school reunion. Only with clones. They're the only hope for humanity. And they're armed to the teeth! Seriously! To all you science deniers: this is not a question of IF THIS WILL HAPPEN?... but WHEN!

CLONES: Did I mention clones? There are so many clones, it makes George Lucas' Attack of The Clones look like... like... not that many clones. The Michelle Rodrigruez clone gets killed so many times I think I lost count.

WEAPONS: Guns. Lots of guns. Machine guns, pistols, machine pistols, and a couple of RPGs. The zombie clones are the only ones that are allowed to have the RPGs. Makes sense to me. And WOW! Tons of epic acrobatic kung fu fists and flying kicks. BE FOREWARNED: There is some serious zombie neck cracking going on here.

MUTANTS: Lots of those. The gigantic baghead guys with the big meat tenderizing mallets & the lickers with the brains sticking out on top. I'll tell you what... they go down hard.

3D: Yep. Bullets and those big meat hammers come flying out at you. You WILL duck. I swear!

CARS: So many cars blow up, this flick is going to revitalize the auto industry and turn Detroit into a prosperous city of gold once again. There's even a Rolls Royce with pimp spinners doing brodies. I think I just shed a little tear.

ACTING: Forget it. There is none to be found here. But it must be said, the guy that plays Wesker is so CGI that I thought he WAS CGI. (He's not CGI, is he?) And all girls in this are wearing tight outfits. It's so hot. What's NOT to like? I developed a major crush on Michelle R years ago and I'm in Michelle Rodriguez Heaven. I'm gonna marry her some day. I promise. But, I have no desire to spend any more time in prison so I can't really stalk her. Hmmm, it's a dilemma. I'd write to her, but she'd only reject me and then I'd be crushed. I guess I'm destined to be alone with my sad loser fantasies. But, I bet I'm not the only one here. Guys? Show of hands?

BUDGET: Yeah, they spent some serious cash on this. I read that it was 65 million, but it looks like they spent at least 66 million on the submarines alone. It doesn't always show, but it's there.

SEQUEL: Oh Hell YEAH! Best ending EVER. I was eagerly anticipating the final Hobbit films, but now... I can't wait to see how they wrap this up.

I love Paul W.S. Anderson. When he dies, they should bronze his body and put him on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. I mean it! I love this movie sooo much I'm starting a National Resident Evil Retribution Call-In-Sick Day. So far my record is 3 times in a row. I won't sleep until I've watched this 10 times in a row. This movie deserves a special award. I haven't figured out what kind yet, but it should come with a special trophy with a chocolate chip cookie on top. It's that GOOD! I'm dead serious.

BUY THIS!

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!, October 13, 2012
D "Dave" (West Lawn, Pennsylvania United States) - See all my reviews
There was plenty of action and plenty of new characters and things going on to hold your interest. The plot is simple and doesn't need to be more complicated - rescue Alice! The visuals, the sound, the music is all top notch! This is Resident Evil at its best!

The movie opens where RE#4 left off - on top of the Arcadia (freighter) with all the humans released and enjoying their freedom. I was hoping to have K-MART and especially Claire back. We aren't shown it, but are left to assume the worst for them. Based on how brutal the Umbrella attack is, it is a safe assumption that only someone like Alice could survive. The sequence is played in reverse, which was new and interesting.

The action doesn't slow for very long (just long enough for Alice to get kidnapped, get into a skin tight dominatrix/cat suit, and escape). Alice is smoking hot here!

I was beginning to think Alice was caught in a RE video game of sorts when the Tokyo sequence fired up around her (same one from the opening of RE#4, same people, same outcome). This was neat as reality and video game somewhat merges.

A part of the mutation this time around seems to be the mutants are harder to kill and one blow to the head does not necessarily take them out. Alice does wonders with a chain and one handgun to stave off an army of these tougher mutants.

Did you like the 12 foot axeman in RE #4? Try 2! Alice and Ada Wong team up to take them down! This is the New York sequence. Gotta love the subtle humor throughout! We hear the scraping of a big axe being dragged. Ada asks, "Do you know what that is?" Alice responds, "I have an idea!" Indeed she does!

Part of the zombie mutation this time around also seems to be INTELLIGENCE! There was a large bunch of Russian zombies operating vehicles and weapons with no problem (Moscow sequence)!

The movie ends with a massive battle scene in progress (humankind versus zombies/dragons/red queen/etc.), and we know where it has to go now - but leaves room for RE#6. Alice and Albert Wesker versus the Red Queen (RE#1)? Perhaps in RE#6 they can get the help of the White Queen (RE#3)!

There is no extra ending this time like RE#4 where the movie picks back up after about a minute of ending credits. There is no final blurb from Alice at the very, very end, such as "Is that any way to treat a lady (RE#4)?!" or "You're just another a****** (RE#3)!" I watched all the credits just to make double sure! No matter, I think there was plenty overall and well worth the time and money spent.

I had seen the movie twice, and liked it even more the second time! There is so much action going on continuously that it's hard to get it all the first time! For sure I'll see more the 3rd time. Constant surprises!

This is definitely a dvd to add to the RE collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars "..GREAT FUN..", March 25, 2013
Yet again another awesome sequel in the brilliant resident evil series, this is a must for fans as these movies are mainly aimed at their major fan base now, the story continues really well with lots more cool twists and turns and the return of very many familiar faces from the past, the effects are top notch as usual and the movie soundtrack is awesome too, Milla jovovich is amazing to watch and her character Alice always gets better, the ending to this one is even more mind blowing than the last so roll on part 6. The 3D is top notch and works well too. Check it out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 12, 2014
The women in this movie kick ass I love it.

‹ Previous | 1 2 397 | Next ›