Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on February 9, 2012
I'm an resident evil fan in China, I have played resident evil series since the very first game. Or should I call it Biohazard?

I wanna strongly recommend: Resident Evil Revelation to all fans of this series and people who have the Nintendo 3DS. Revelation is a game that both new and old resident evil fan would like, and it is definite one of the best game on 3ds so far.

the key word is: Back to Origin
Shinji Mikami had made the resident evil 1 though 4, hope everyone remember what the game was like. You search all the rooms and find keys so you can open new rooms and find more useful items. Zombies is always your best friend, you can fight them or just walk away.
The resident evil 4 has change the game a lot, it is now a third person shooting game. And Bio5 was trying to keep the quality.

Revelation give me the feeling of a combination of the origin resident evil and the 4th.
You shoot the same way as bio4 and bio 5 except you can so slowly shift move while aiming, and you can now change the aim to a first person view.
The game play will make you feel like the old resident evil, by the end of Champlain you will be familiar with the map. and the Weapon upgrade is fun, too. knife become much more useful compare with bio5, Jill used the knife very fast, and you don't need to aim before you use it finally.
The raid mode is a new game mode, and it is going to take you lot of times with fun.There is levels and exp. in this mode so you can level up and use better weapons and new weapon updates. Play raid mode together with you friends.

The graphic is the highest standerd for what 3DS is capable of. I know that psvita is stronger, I have brought one from Hongkong and I know how awesome the graphic is. But Revelation grapgic can still amaze me when I start playing it. The 3D effect works perfect for this game, and the art design is great.

There is some weakness about this game.
First, the control bother you a little before you get used to it, using left hand to aim is not too bad but still wired. if you have a circle pad pro for 3DS, use it.
Second, the story line. I do not want to talk about it too much before people actually play it, so I don't blow this fun. But, I will say that I am disappointed when I realize that the story have almost nothing related with the series. Maybe resident evil 6? haha

My English is poor and I apologize fot it, if you read all my reviews. I have to say that I'm appreciate. And hope you guys enjoy this new resident evil.
99 comments|198 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 7, 2012
The 3DS had a bit of a rough start, no matter how you look at it. The majority of 2011 didn't give gamers much hope either, with only a handful of must-plays, and another majority of those being enhanced ports. I still held out hope for the system, however, due to the fact that Nintendo has never let down handheld gamers with the exception of the Virtual Boy. And now, with Capcom's positively flawless new entry in the Resident Evil franchise, a new year of productivity has been ushered in, it being the first of several high-profile entries on the powerhouse portable. And what a first it is. Even taking away from the hype of it being one of the best 3DS games out there, "Resident Evil Revelations" stands on it's own as an excellent title.

Fans of the franchise like myself will be instantly dragged into the intricate narrative, which bridges the gap between RE 4&5 in one fell, seamless swoop. Players take on the dual roles of series standbys Jill Valentine and Chris Redfield. Jill is exploring a decrepit ship with scarce supplies and suspenseful encounters with bloodthirsty, parasitic monsters, while Chris' missions consist of surviving in the mountains while blasting through legions of enemies. Along the way, they both learn things about the mysterious BSAA organization from the fifth entry, while simultaneously getting more information about the Los Plagas virus taken from Leon at the end of Resident Evil 4. It's an entertaining and stimulating journey, told with some of the best voice acting in the series and plenty of cutscenes.

The game is split into episodic chunks, with Jill's outings billed more as a series of cliffhangers that lead into Chris' shoot-'em-up types of missions. At the beginning of each chapter we see a "previously in RE Revelations" sequence, a la "Alan Wake" and "Deadly Premonition." It's quite clear that Capcom was aiming for a console experience split up into handheld gaming bites, and it comes off without a hitch.

As mentioned above, gameplay with Jill and Chris differ greatly. Let's start with Jill. The steady progression and emphasis on investigation, along with the struggle of surviving the assault of only a few enemies at a time. Jill barely starts with any ammo to speak of, and the supplies on the ship only throw her a real bone every now and again. Ammo conservation is key, as is keeping a close watch on your health restore items and your HUD map. This type of playing style hearkens back to the earlier RE entries, and old-school survival horror games as a whole.

Chris' portions are the complete opposite. The lovable steroid poster boy starts off with an abundance of ammo in his pistol, along with a high power shotgun. His first mission gives players two types of explosives to work with, as well as plenty of health. This seems like overkill at first until you realize that dealing with foes is nothing like the Jill missions. Enemies that you encounter attack in waves, and one of the later encounters in the first of his missions involves blasting through a whole pack of infected wolves. These encounters become commonplace when playing a Chris mission, and it starts to feel more like RE5, or a lot of other third-person shooter games.

I applaud Capcom for the stroke of brilliance they've displayed at these two different types of gameplay styles. The evolution of the RE franchise has been a major source of contention among fans for quite some time now. Some love the faster and more a gameplay, and others say that it's an unnecessary Westernization of a Japanese franchise. I fall somewhere in the middle with this debate, and it's nice to see the developers addressing both parties in Revelations. It's really the best of both worlds with this title; there's no losing for either party.

A lot of people looking at screenshots have doubted that the "game looks that good." Put those thoughts to bed, because yes, it DOES look that good. The 3DS is getting it's graphics card pumped to the max, because what's on display here far outpaces many higher quality Wii games. The textures are convincingly realistic, especially on the beautiful player and enemy models. Ditto for the accurately rendered weapons and cutscenes. The only complain I might muster would be that some of the outdoor textures look a little murky, especially in some of the cave missions with Chris. It doesn't detract from the overall experience, though, and the 3D effects certainly don't hurt the game at all either. The options menu gives players three different options of depth layering, and the highest setting shows just how three-dimensional games can be on the handheld if devs put forth a little effort. As far as showing off the 3DS' graphics go, this game fits the bill with appropriately grotesque and suspenseful imagery.

Suspenseful is the best word to describe Revelations. It's something that the fifth entry, as much as I adored it, just never was. Capcom obviously took players' complaints to heart and created the best RE game since the classic RE4. Everything works the way it should, never limiting the player with annoying key fetching and cheap deaths, instead placing a heavy emphasis on survival that never feels unbalanced and investigating the small details of an intriguing story. If this is even a tiny taste of the upcoming sixth entry in the main continuity, then my faith in Capcom has been restored with this phenomenal game. This is the game to own a 3DS for, no matter what type of game you typically play.

Plot: A- (Bridges the gap between RE4&5 for fans, but is accessible for everyone.)
Gameplay: A+ (Balances cutthroat, terse survival and blazing action without any effort.)
Graphics: A- (Pushes the 3DS to it's very limit with grotesque, scary and thrilling imagery.)
Sound: B+ (Good voice acting for an RE game, and plenty of eerie sound effects and music.)
Overall: A- (Not just a fantastic handheld game, but a fantastic game overall.)
1212 comments|81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2012
I'm going to make this short and sweet. Never in my life did I think I would put 30 hours into a portable game. Especially one that is not an RPG of some sorts. This is the first portable game that makes me feel like I am somehow playing a current gen console game where I please. The multiplayer is a blast as well, and it's consumed 16 hours of my 30 hours played so far. It is just an addicting blast. The story as always is over the top, but it's expected and part of the entertainment.

One thing I need to point out is nearly every review will say you can't aim and move without the add on. That is false. You can hold "L" and strafe while aiming and shooting, or move forward and backwards. It works great, and I use it all the time. I went into the options and made the aiming view identical to RE4 & RE5 and it looks and plays like a dream. This is one of those rare games like Mario Land 3D and Zelda where the 3D is done extremely well. Usually I turn it off and forget, but for much of the single player I was trying to keep it on at all times. It really adds to the experience over being just a gimmick.

Pick this game up and support the mass of content and effort the developers poured into this gem!
on March 12, 2013
I am a gamer who has played every major Resident Evil game since the original in 1996 so I can say a lot here but going to keep it simple for general consumers.

This is one of the best Resident Evil games in the series and THE BEST Resident Evil spinoff I have ever played (Resident Evil: Code Veronica X is getting a run for its money here). I was skeptical at first when an RE spinoff was announced for a new handheld console but much to my dismay I was blown away by the entire experience, and here's why.

1. The visuals are mind-blowing. In terms of improvement from the last generation (Nintendo DS) the disparity is night and day. This is not a Nintendo 64 port or downscaled Wii game you're getting a full-fledged Resident Evil experience. There were obvious decisions to keep onscreen activity simple such as having a handful of enemy-types and not having explosions every five minutes (*ahem* RE6) but you will almost feel like you are playing on an HD home console. I cannot wait to replay it when it releases for PS3.

2. The horror is back and it is done right. Enemies are randomly spawned throughout every level so you never know when something is going to pop out of a vent or lurk behind a tight corner. I have replayed the original three games a handful of times and when backtracking through levels I have actually memorized where enemies will pop up almost defeating any horror elements, but not with Revelations; a few times I yelped out loud and that hasn't happened since I beat Dead Space 2. Big kuddos to the Capcom team from a major Survival Horror geek.

3. IT'S RESIDENT EVIL! No it's not a bad adaptation or a stray away from it's conceptual roots; it is exactly what I expect from a modern Resident Evil game. It is scary, the voice-acting is entertainingly cheesy and the storyline plays out like one of the Resident Evil CG movies (not to be confused with the admittedly convoluted live-action ones). I loved how old-school elements were combined with new school game mechanics. Boss fights, item management, readable files and notes, timed events and snarky title screens (YOU ARE DEAD!) feel familiar from RE games of the 90's while the over-the-shoulder view, dodge mechanics, quick turns and seamless cut-scenes remain intact since RE4 onward. I do wish there were more puzzles but at least some were included for hardcore fans as myself.

4. Chris and Jill are back. Not to be an elitist but it is hard to replace two of gaming's most iconic characters. When Lara Croft gets hurt in Tomb Raider or when Link first gets his master sword in Zelda there's some type of nostalgia that boils deep inside you from your childhood. I didn't care much for Jessica (Chris's new partner) or Parker (Jill's new partner) but they did develop overtime as the story progressed. But I have to say, when I caught Jill or Chris limping around mansion-like lobbies and bedrooms searching for herbs to heal myself my face lit up. Some things in the series never get old. And yes you do venture alone for at least half the game; Capcom executed the classic "let's split up" mechanic which worked out horrifingly well.

Conclusion: If you are even the slightest Resident Evil fan then do yourself a favor and plan on getting this game (it is soon to release on Xbox 360 and PS3 on May 21st). This is the first game I beat on my 3DS and although I had the titans Super Mario 3D Land and Legend of Zelda: Ocorina of time in my library I was glued to this game from start to finish. I was not dissapointed at all and have tolerated some pretty bad Resident Evil games both in the past and recent memory. I hope Capcom keeps releasing RE games like this so future generations won't forget one of the original Survival Horror franchises.

Quick Q&A:

Q: Do you need the Circle Pad Pro to play this game?

A: No you don't, although this game is compatible with that peripheral and makes control more comfortable and intuitive. The controls are slightly awkward but not enough to turn most people away from the game. Earlier Resident Evil games had pretty horrible controls but it is not nearly that bad without the circle pad.

Q: Do the visuals look any better or worse on the 3DSXL versus the original 3DS?

A: I cannot say that they are technically better (the native resolution on all 3DS games will be stretched on the XL's screen). But to be honest I have fallen in love with my 3DS XL partly because the screen is beautiful regardless. This is the first handheld game I've played that feels anywhere close to a current home console experience.

Q: Should I buy the 3DS version or the PS3/Xbox360 version?

A: This is going to be a matter of logistics. If you really want to play this game but you already own a PS3/Xbox360 then you might as well go for an HD port. If you already own a 3DS and you are more of a portable gadget person then you won't be dissapointed by Nintendo's offerings (as of this writing the PS3/Xbox360 ports have not yet released so hopefully Capcom won't screw that up. I will update this answer occordingly).

Q: How do memory and saves work in this title?

A: Different from a few Resident Evil games there are checkpoints where the game will autosave your progress. I do wish there were a few more checkpoints then there are as I had to play through the most difficult moments multiple times but this is nit-picking. As far as memeory you cannot obtain this title on the Nintendo E-shop as of 03/11/13 this might change in the future for this version and others. I wouldn't worry about this game taking up space on any of your SD cards.

Q: I want this game but I also want to play it with a friend. How do you think it should be played, single player or co-op?

A: I would suggest single-player. Depending on your online/local experience going through the game it could sway either way. The co-op computer AI is pretty bad but not as bad as RE5/6. Your partner still gets in the way when shooting enemies but luckily they never die or beg you for resources/supplies. Although with a friend the game would probably be easier to beat anyways. If you're really new to the series you might need a friend's help.

Q: I haven't played a Resident Evil game since the 90's. Is it worth playing this one?

A: Let me clarify. Yes, if you are young, old, retro or a modern gamer you should pick up this game. I would not buy this game for your 6 year old niece though. Jill and Jessica wear leather-tight suits while Jessica shows some skin and hopelessly flirts with Chris. There's also strong violence and gore but that goes with most videogames. I would suggest playing/buying this product for anybody 10+ years of age.

Q: I just beat Resident Evil 4 and want to play this game before going to number 5. But is it okay if I just go to RE 5 right now?

A: I have played all three games and can say that Revelations acts as a stand alone title. Unfortunately this game does not act as a follow-up to Leon's Resident Evil 4 or as a prequel to Chris's Resident Evil 5 as Capcom claims. But this does not make it a bad Resident Evil game.

If you guys have any other questions or comments I will gladly address them. Thank you for reading my review.
on February 16, 2012
My fellow gamers, I think I have just finished (arguably) the best portable game of all time in Resident Evil: Revelations. Sweet Goodness! This game is amazing! How in the world did Capcom get the 3DS to crank out a game of this quality? The graphics, gameplay, and 3D are top notch, heck even the episodic story framework has some nice twists and turns.

I'm a huge RE fanboy, I will admit that up front, but this also means that I will be a tough critic as well. Hence, if I don't like the direction of one of my favorite game series I will be one of the first to be vocal about it. Here is how I would rank Resident Evil: Revelations in the pantheon of RE games.

1. RE4 - 10.0
2. RE:Revelations - 9.8
3. RE1 on Gamecube - 9.5
4. RE2 on PSX - 9.0
5. RE5 - 8.5
6. RE0 - 8.25
7. RE3 - 8.0
8. RE: Code Veronica - 7.0

Revelations feels like Capcom mixed RE4 gameplay with RE1 atmosphere. This is an RE game that kept me on the edge of my seat because I didn't know what was around the next corner or what new kind of enemy I was going to face. I kind of felt like RE5 lost that thrilling, edge of your seat game experience that RE is known for, but Revelations brings it back in full force. For the full RE effect, play it in the dark with headphones. The sounds and music really take the thriller, horror experience to that next level.

This game makes a statement about dedicated portable gaming IMHO, and that statement is this:

"Dedicated portable gaming can be viable and strong if NEW games like this keep coming out instead of rehash games (Zelda64, Starfox64, Metal Gear 3)."

Kudos to Capcom for taking the 3DS farther than I thought possible and for giving us a new title instead of a rehash.
on August 28, 2012
Resident Evil Revelations is unique in several aspects. It isn't an officially numbered sequel, but it is part of the main story cannon. In fact, as we wait for the sixth official installment, we may see some characters from this game make an appearance on that game. It's a jack of all trades game that combines the tension of the classic RE titles with the more modern run and gun shooting of the modern games. It's also the first main cannon Resident Evil game to be released on a handheld platform.

The plot here revolves around series veterans Jill Valentine and Chris Redfield on their quest to uncover a sinister plot from a terrorist organization using bio-organic weapons (B.O.W.s) against citizens of the world. Ever since the outbreaks from the original trilogy, the spread of B.O.W. has gone global where terrorist organizations have been able to acquire them. Revelations is a thrilling game of cat and mouse where each chapter only uncovers a piece of the puzzle for the truth, or an even bigger problem arising from it.

Most of the game is set on a luxury class cruise ship the Queen Zenobia where its hollow halls and creepy architecture give out a classic Resident Evil vibe to the game. The game mainly revolves around Jill and her new partner Parker Luciani on their search for missing team members Chris Redfield and Jessica Sherawat. The ship you explore is vast and expansive with multiple deck levels filled with monsters and other dangers. The game is cut up into episodes and done in a "24" like TV series progression and it keeps things brisk despite the huge ship. Parts of the chapters are also flashbacks that reveal situations on the game's plot and characters. This is where you leave the ship environment and explore other kinds of terrain such as snowy mountains, abandon military bases, and a city under siege with Hunters, the lovable Resident Evil baddies that love to decapitate. There are about 12 episodes with each lasting 20-40 minutes a piece, you'll be hooked from beginning all the way to the climax, like a good TV serial.

The gameplay is done in 3rd person style that was established in RE4. However, new and much needed improvements introduced in the first Resident Evil game for the 3DS, Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D, like the ability to move,reload, aim, and shoot at the same time make an appearance here. Since the game's main themes are about investigation and snooping, you have this new tool called the Genesis. The Genesis is a pistol-like device that whenever aimed, goes into a first person view and allows you to scan your surroundings for hidden items scattered around the world. If you spot something, it's only a matter of holding the X button for a few seconds and the item will be attainable. Even the enemies you face have a roll with the Genesis. Scanning a foe fills up a percentage meter that whenever is reach 100% you are rewarded with a green herb for health replenishment. This is an important tool as health items are scarce and the only form of lifebar you have is the amount of distortion appears on screen as your health degenerates.

The game introduces new enemies called the Ooze, these are creatures that can appear anywhere at anytime in the bowels of the ship and can go through ventilation ducts, hide in cabinets, and other gaps as they are very flexible and are quite skilled at chasing prey. Whenever you get caught by one of them they release a leach-like organ that sucks blood out of the prey. They are skillful and powerful with this regard and can easily kill their prey with one grab. There are a few forms of these Ooze from basic forms to ones with claws, a bow gun like contraption, to one that explodes on impact releasing harmful substances into the air. While they are good hunters of prey, they are also not the fastest. Jill can easily outrun them or use evasive maneuvers to escape harm. When you have weaker weapons in the beginning, it is easier to evade them if you can as they take a lot of bullets to fall. They're not quite the limb shooting reaction Ganados and Majinis from Resident Evils 4 & 5 where shooting them in a particular body part has them reacting to that particular gun shot. However, as you get more access to weapon upgrades about mid-game, you can carry more bullets and more powerful firearms to easily dispose of these Ooze. Broken up into two segments per episode are linear sequences that are more action based. These serve to break up the pace and to provide more insight into the plot of the game.

Upon completion of the main story you are treated to a post game addiction known as Raid Mode. Because the first Resident Evil game on the 3DS was all about Mercenaries Mode, Capcom had to create something new for Revelation's bonus mode. Think of it as a Phantasy Star meets Resident Evil loot obsession game. A session usually goes that you pick a stage based on locations from the campaign. The point of the game is to reach point A to point B and to kill everything that gets in your way. In between you'll be picking up weapon upgrades, cold hard cash, and experience points.

Graphically, Resident Evil Revelations sets the benchmark of Nintendo 3DS games on to uncharted territory. Simply put there's nothing both artistic and technical that has been pulled off on the 3DS so far, that can go against what Capcom achieved here. The amount of detail is staggering, surpassing even any of Nintendo's efforts so far on the system. Only Kingdom Hearts 3D has gone close to what this game has achieved. Every nook and cranny on the ship is detailed and the 3D adds only to the creepy immersion factor. You'll even notice Jill's "assets" displayed proudly on the game. On the sound front you'll want to play this game with a good set of earphones to enhance the immersion of the game. Multiple voice language tracks are added and for the first time, Resident Evil characters can now speak in Japanese.

A few things do show up that cause issues in the game. The story can be often confusing to follow with the way the flashback sub-chapters are thrown at you. Because the game has huge areas to explore, load times become an issue whenever you ride elevators or enter new areas. While the game is loading a new area you still can move around the elevator or room opening a lock, but the game will chug and become unplayable during these sequences. They used these kind of loading instead of having loading screens to make the game feel seamless in transition. It succeeds in the end as you are not doing anything vital during these loading sequences. Just like in RE5 you constantly have a partner here. However, unlike in RE5, you never have to worry about them eating up ammunition and health supplies. But still, a bigger issue in Revelations is that they are practically useless. While its impossible for them to get killed, they won't help you with anything unless its a scripted part of the game. At least in Resident Evil 5, if you give Sheva a sniper rifle, she'll take out bad guys from yards away and will help you in dicey situations. Some of the areas in Revelations are so huge it's hard to tell which direction to go. The AI could have helped you by perhaps leading the way or mention if you are going the wrong way.

RE Revelations is a mandatory buy for all RE fans including those who think the series has strayed to far off course. As one who enjoys the new style Resident Evil more (it is the shooter of my choice as I don't play first person shooters and not much third person shooters like Gears of War), I had a hard time playing this game on its slow more methodical paces at the beginning but grew in to the groove once the bullets became more aplenty. Go buy this game, it still shows that Capcom still can release games without an overabundance of reliance on download content. This is a full fledged Resident Evil title on a portable with all the bells and whistles included.
on April 5, 2012
Great graphics.
Great control options (including a nifty gyroscope aiming mode, although you might want to change to 2D and bring the slider up and down).
Great story and dialogue. Especially this one bit when Chris and Jessica first at the ship... right at the end... still loving that bit. You will see. Film worthy.
Gorgeous cutscenes, especially in 3D.
Long game. Story kept going on, and new modes and stuff to do after you finish.

Great game. Period. One of the greatest of all times really.
VINE VOICEon February 26, 2012
The Good:

+A highly engrossing story filled with twists, turns and intrigue
+A fantastic atmosphere
+A lengthy campaign mode
+Fantastic visuals
+Very good use of sound
+Makes VERY good use of the hardware and shows that the 3DS isn't just another DS but is capable of quite a bit when developers really put their all into it

The Bad:

-Your AI controlled partner is useless
-Slight dips in framerate (but never in very dangerous situations)

When most of us think of the Resident Evil games on the handheld, they're not always fond memories. First there was the deservedly underplayed "Resident Evil: Gaiden," on the Gameboy Color. Then we got our hands on a remake of the original game on the Nintendo DS with some slightly enhanced mechanics. Last year we got a chance to play Resident Evil Mercenaries 3D. The three games listed above weren't exactly games that the fanbase was raving about (in fact Gaiden was considered so bad CAPCOM decided it wasn't canon and they've swept it quietly under the rug). So, of course, when Resident Evil Revelations was announced it was a wonder what CAPCOM had in store for their prime series now. As it turns out, Resident Evil Revelations is a fantastic experience. There are no gimmicks at play here. It's a more traditional Resident Evil game filled with scares, eerie music and suspense. Simply put, Resident Evil Revelations isn't just one of the best 3DS games you could buy at the moment... it's easily one of the best Resident Evil games you could buy.

Set before the events of Resident Evil 5, Revelations focuses on the BSAA. A counter Bio-Terrorism group started by Chris and Jill. Our game begins when Jill and her partner Parker, sail out to the Mediterranean. They've lost contact with Chris and his partner Jessica and their last known coordinates were there. When they arrive they find a cruise ship, the Queen Zenobia, strangely abandoned. And soon it becomes apparent why. There are Bio Organic Weapons (B.O.W.s) running around all over the ship. One of the things that made some of the earliest Resident Evil games amusing was that there was a mystery at play. A sort of, "What's going on?" feeling to the game. Resident Evil Revelations has this in strides as the plot is actually extremely engrossing. There's a lot of mystery and suspense. And the stories are intertwined as we're introduced to new characters and situations that can, at times, take surprising turns. The story is just all around amazing, and it'll keep you glued to your 3DS. It also helps that the campaign itself is lengthy and even challenging at parts. There isn't anything quite like it on the 3DS.

As you go exploring the various environments you find yourself in, you'll come face to face with several enemies that are usually dispensed with your trusty weapon. Aiming and shooting is similar to Resident Evil 4. You can take aim at various parts of the body, and when your enemies stagger you can go in for a quick melee attack. If you've kept up with the series since the fourth installment then this will be familiar to you. You can aim either in first person or go for an over the shoulder view. You can also strife while aiming, but chances are you'll find it much better to pop an enemy a couple of times, retreat and then pop them again. There are, however a few things added to the game itself that keep it interesting. You'll do a lot of running and gunning, but one of the most unique items your given is an item only known as Genesis, which you can use to scan several areas for hidden items or data on your enemies. It's hard not to go into a room and use it. The rewards are usually finding more ammo or precious herbs to heal your wounds.

There aren't many puzzles in Resident Evil Revelations at all. There are moments where you'll have to use the touch screen and move a few things around, but they're hardly mind-bending moments. It's much more about the gunplay here and there's an emphasis put on that. You'll not only find weapons but also custom parts for those weapons that will make them more powerful, or fire faster or perhaps might help them do a better job of stunning your enemies. You can mix and match all you like and apply them to any type of weapon you want.

After running through so many Resident Evil games, it's a wonder if Resident Evil can actually be scary anymore. Well, not really. But Revelations has various ways of trying to be scary. The first and most obvious is the atmosphere. Especially on the Queen Zenobia. Hallways are suspiciously empty, music hits some really eerie notes, and sometimes you'll find dead bodies or see some enemies pop out as you run by. Resident Evil has been doing these things since the very first installment and it's hard to be creeped out by the billionth enemy popping out at you when you've been exposed to that for sixteen years now. In spite of the atmosphere and the mystery given by various documents you'll find through the game, Resident Evil Revelations isn't going to scare anyone. You have to give credit to the game for trying at least. It does this in other ways as well. You'll find various keys to unlock locked doors, find yourself backtracking through previous rooms only to find them repopulated with new horror, and sometimes you'll find yourself wondering if you'll survive. All this is compounded by some very well done set pieces. Early on, for instance, you'll find yourself unable to stand as a pack of mutated dogs set their sights on you. It's a very tense moment where you, the player, may actually begin to feel just a little frightened you won't survive. Moments like this make you feel as though Resident Evil is returning to its roots. So at the very least Revelations tries to be scary and give you a sense of fear. It basically tries to take the best of the two styles of Resident Evil and mesh them together. The atmosphere and mystery is inspired by the early installments while the gunplay is drawn from the latter ones. It's a well put together hybrid. Just don't expect it to scare the pants off you.

No matter who the game has you play as, you'll always have a partner, and this is perhaps the most glaring shortcoming that Revelations has. The rest of the game is great and it's other flaws forgivable, but when it comes to your partner, CAPCOM still hasn't made a competent one. They won't spend time wasting your resources like Sheva in Resident Evil 5, but a lot of the time they just stand there doing nothing. They rarely even shoot at your enemies, and most times they just follow you around like a confused puppy. If they did a little more such as point out objectives or even tried to battle a little more it wouldn't be so bad. The only use your AI partner really has is soaking up damage on your behalf.

If there are any doubts about what can be done on the 3DS then let Resident Evil Revelations squash them. This is by far the best looking game you can find on the 3DS at this point. The places you'll run through are extremely detailed. The character models look fantastic and the lighting is great as well. There are a few issues with the presentation but none that stand from the games aesthetic design. Namely that there were moments where the game seemed to buckle under it's own weight. There were slight frame rate dips and moments where the load times are lengthy. The good news is that none of these issues ever creep up when you're in any immediate danger. The frame rate dips I experienced, for example, were while I was in an elevator. But I never experienced them when I was in combat.

Resident Evil Revelations also makes excellent use of the 3DS hardware. The controls are actually tight and responsive and well mapped out. Likewise, your inventory is all comprised to the bottom screen, while the top screen is perfectly clear of anything. This seems like something small, but it actually really helps to draw the player in because there's nothing on the top screen to distract you from what's actually going on. It's perfect. When you take damage the top screen will get more "bloodied," to give you a sense of how close you are to death. But rather than having to into your inventory for an herb to heal, you simply tap a button and it's done. Future 3DS games should take note. Nothing here feels tacked on in terms of how it utilizes the hardware.

The 3D is also very well done, although you won't ever actually need it. It never really enhances the gameplay. There's nothing that'll make you want to keep the 3D on all the time. But it does increase the depth and isn't exactly used to make things "Pop Out." It enhances the presentation even if it doesn't enhance the gameplay. At the very least it draws you into the atmosphere of the game much more. You can also make it stronger in the games option settings. From a visual perspective it is some of the best use of 3D on the system.

One of the best aspects of Resident Evil Revelations is by far the sound. The music is often eerie and builds up tension and suspense at some parts, but the screams from your enemies, or the creaking of the ship or the floor boards or even a shot from your pistol all sound remarkable coming from the 3DS's tiny speakers. The voice acting is also competent, even if the writing isn't always up to standard.

Simply put, in terms of hardware usage and just all around competent game design, Resident Evil Revelations is one of the best titles you could get on the 3DS. It's fun and immersive, but also tells a very good story. It even has moments where it tries to get back to Resident Evil's traditional style. The game won't scare you much at all, but at the very least it's willing to try... and manages to be fun in the process. If you like Resident Evil and own a 3DS then you have to play this game.
on June 18, 2014
Since the PC port has come out not too long ago, I feel it's appropriate to now review a game I've had for a long time. Revelations is a game that falls between the end of the classic Resident Evil games (RE, 2, 3, CV) and Wii Lightgun games (Darkside Chronicles) and right before Resident Evil 5.

It's refreshing to see a game that's actually intended to be on the 3DS. I can't say the same for the PC port, which is a slight letdown in comparison. I felt Revelations was well worth my money when introduced and it's a great title for this discounted price.

The game has a fairly in-depth campaign that's done in an episodic manner. Weapons can be saved, upgraded and traded around. You can only carry a limited number of guns, grenades and ammo at any given time. Health items have been simplified to a single green herb pickup. Reloading and inventory related decisions are relegated to the touch screen, which also has the map. This means the title has a lot less immersion-breaking paused screens. Loading is primarily done between 'hatches' and most of the exploration is more or less seamless. While the shooting controls are clunky compared to a mainstream PC or console title they're pretty good even without the optional accessory for the 3DS.

As with Resident Evil 5 and 6, Revelations also has a fairly entertaining 'Raid' mode where you do small missions in campaign levels to get rewards. Leveling the character unlocks better guns and extra outfits.

It's fairly entertaining and you'll probably find yourself coming back to obsessively level your weapons and unlock the rest of the cast.

Jill Valentine is dispatched to find her missing partner, Chris Redfield. I don't want to spoil too much, but it doesn't really have much of a tie-in to Resident Evil 5 in the end. It mostly discusses BSAA politics, which are somewhat interesting but ultimately irrelevant to character development. All the territory covered is more or less entirely new for the series, even if the landscaping is highly reminiscent of other titles. I would say it's more similar to the Degeneration or Damnation CG movies, stand-alone plot arcs involving fan favorite characters.

Without spoiling too much, you explore an abandoned cruise ship or three (designed by George Trevor, who built the original Spencer Estate) snow-covered mountains, mysterious labs. There's quite a bit of underwater segments. I have to say the layout of the levels is very reminiscent of the old-school Resident Evil games, which is to say you don't have many alternate paths to navigate and there's quite a bit of backtracking / finding alternate routes.

In contrast to the contemporary console titles, you don't fight many humanoid opponents - no Ganado or tribesmen here, nor men with AKs. The primary enemies are... squid-like? They're vaguely aquatic, slimy and dissolving once killed and can attack from almost anywhere, much like the Necromorph of dead space. The most human-like opponent you fight is basically a reference to Jessica Trevor, a mutated humanoid with super strength that's mostly optional to fight.

It's quite refreshing that they drop items very seldom, and it seems ammo conservation is important, just like the old Resident Evils.

There's a lot of exploration and you can use a gadget to scan your surroundings for items and health. Problematically, the respawning of enemies is a bit erratic - sometimes you'll see nothing in rooms cleared hours ago, whereas some rooms seem to always populate with powerful minibosses.

There's only about a half dozen types of enemies that are common in the game. It's a bit silly because the game sometimes just literally scales up the monsters to make them 'boss' enemies. I don't mean mutate. They're literally just a normal squid-person-monster scaled up by a half with more HP. This is mostly something found in the Raid mode but it never fails to break immersion in the campaign when it does happen.

There is a LOT of backtracking, which serves as a reminder that the game is still limited by the 3DS, but Revelations really does its best to win you over. There's a lot of weapons, there's customization and areas you can explore to acquire optional goodies. The cutscenes are pretty gorgeous for a 3DS game.

One thing it does do better than RE5 is that your partner is not always tethered to you, and the feeling of isolation can really set in, helping sell the creepy stranded-at-sea setting that is most of the game.

It's not a perfect game, but in my opinion no Resident Evil title really is. It's definitely worth a try, though don't expect a furthered understanding of the other titles as the game claims.
on June 4, 2013
Pretty cool game for the 3DS. Pretty much the reason I got the 3DS in the first place. Get ready for some high intense situations, and if you have a fear of water, probably going to make you really uncomfortable.