Customer Discussions > Resistance 3 - Playstation 3 forum

Resistance 3 (Abridged) IGN Review 8/06/11

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 6, 2011 3:26:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2011 3:33:43 AM PDT
IGN SCORE (9.0 "Amazing")
"Right off the bat, Resistance 3 controls wonderfully. There's a quick and powerful feel to the guns; each one is sharp and accurate and packs a hell of a wallop. The shooting mechanics are tight and responsive, ensuring you're equipped to deal with the many moments you'll be outnumbered by dozens-upon-dozens of feral Chimera, just itching to rip you apart. And yes, this happens a lot.

Move functionality has also been included for Resistance 3, though this control method isn't quite as finely tuned. Firing from the hip is effective but the noticeable lag between your motions and the actions on screen make aiming down the crosshairs incredibly sluggish, even with the sensitivity all the way up. It just doesn't cut it in the heat of an intense battle where you'll want every advantage you can get.

Luckily, you're never without an arsenal of awesome weapons and, in keeping with the high standard set by the previous games, Resistance 3's guns give you free rein to kill creatively. Old favorites like the Auger and Bullseye are back, only now each weapon automatically levels up the more you use it, unlocking upgrades like incendiary ammo on the fly. There are also a few new weapons, such as the 'Mutator', which causes enemies to rapidly grow boils that swell up and explode. You can even get your hands on the Chimera's own 'Deadeye' sniper rifle.

Every kill in Resistance 3 is exceedingly satisfying - not only because of the first class arsenal and tight controls, but also because each time you take a Chimera down, it lets out an explosive death growl that tells you it's expired...

...At no point over the course of the 10-hour story does the narrative's surging momentum ever waver. One moment you might be in an all-out skirmish, the next you're creeping through a field of long grass, stealthily stabbing Chimera in the back. While the action might slow down from time to time, the intensity never does.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/119/1191975p1.html (for the entire IGN Review)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2011 6:45:36 AM PDT
I'm at work so IGN gets blocked but thanks for the early glimpse. Who reviewed it, was it Colin?

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 6:57:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2011 6:58:30 AM PDT
Thank you, way better than Game Informer's review, but I don't listen to their reviews anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2011 7:22:17 AM PDT
Stephen Lambrechts reviewed it. The game also got "Editor's Choice".

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 7:25:04 AM PDT
Yes, thank you. I can't wait to get home for work and fire this up.

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 7:31:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2011 7:34:38 AM PDT
My PSN ID: Flowingwind.
The only bad thing about this game is the wait. I didn't pre-order my game from Amazon.com until Saturday. I choose the free two day shipping with Amazon Prime.
The game should be delivered Wednesday or Thursday.

I was thinking about rejecting the order when it comes then gettin it from Gamestop but I always use Amazon.com for All my games, accessories and consoles. I forgot about Labor Day Monday. Next time I will pre-order earlier.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2011 9:08:04 AM PDT
Buy it from walmart or gamestop today and save the receipt. Start playing today and once you get the game you ordered from amazon in the mail on wednesday or thursday, just return with the receipt you saved ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2011 10:44:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2011 10:56:12 AM PDT
@John that sounds like a good idea but the SKU (stock-keeping unit) number will be different. I brought my PS Move and two guns from Gamestop, got home and saw that one gun wasn't in the bag so I went back to Gamespot. I told the women she forgot to give me one of the guns she said ok, then got the gun off the wall, asked for my receipt and compared the SKU number on it to the one on the box.

Not all employees check for the sku on a returned product but most do.

The other problem would be the sensor tag (bar). Amazon.com doesn't deactivate its sensor tags, so if I try to return the game that I got from them to a Walmart or Gamestop, I could set off their alarm on my way in. I don't know if any type of sensor would be in the unsealed videogame box from Amazon.com but I do know every Bluray I purchased from Amazon.com has the sensor bar or square barcode still stuck on inside.

http://www.amazon.com/GameStop-tomorrow-return-Amazon-GameStop/forum/Fx21LZJ4NHTBQ80/TxLQREXCX94236/1?_encoding=UTF8&asin=B000FQ2DTA

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2011 10:52:52 AM PDT
Hmmm, interesting because I've done it quite a few times with no problems. The sku has been the same on all the games for me buying from Amazon or Best Buy or other stores. I've never had the alarms go off at any store coming in to return. I'll post on Amazon sensor tags, I just never received one and now I'm curious to see if anyone else get games with them on.

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 12:03:40 PM PDT
This game is the best Resistance game to date. 100% better than the first and 150% better than the second. The graphics and gameplay are so much improved that i couldnt believe the game i was playing was part of the same franchise. I was expecting a better game but not this much better. I would compare the visual quality improvement similar to Battlefield 3 compared to the original Bad Company. R3 is the best 3D game to date and Ive played them all. This game would be worth $60 even if there was no multiplayer side. I havent even played the mp side yet so I cant rate that (ive only played the beta) but the campaign is unreal. Buy this game and you wont be sorry!!

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 12:11:28 PM PDT
@John I think I will take your advise and buy it from Gamestop or Walmart. I will just take my chances and return the Amazon.com copy to one of those stores for a refund. My game was shipped at 2pm yesterday but UPS still doesn't have my package just the shipping label. UPS usually gets the products Amazon.com ships in one day. My game may not be delivered until Thursday or Friday.

This is what it says when I put the tracking number in: "A UPS shipping label has been created. Once the shipment arrives at our facility, the tracking status--including the scheduled delivery date--will be updated." I am wondering if the game was even shipped.

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 2:56:45 PM PDT
I had to go to two stores to get Resistance 3 (a game I ordered from Amazon.com and won't get until Thursday or Friday). I went to Walmart they didn't even get a shipment in yet but they had plenty copies of Dead Island. After going to Walmart I went to a Gamestop about 15 minutes away from where I live. I told the man at the register, "This is a gift. If the person already has this game can I bring it back to any Gamespot?" He said, "Yes, but I will do you one better". He print out the original receipt then he printed a gift receipt. I didn't lie it is a gift for myself. When my Resistance 3 game is delivered from Amazon.com I will take my "gift" back to the other Gamestop, 5 minutes away for my full refund. Well I got the game on my last off day back to work tomorrow at 9pm until then I will be playing

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2011 3:07:29 PM PDT
Nice!! You should be able to return the other game with no problem at all. Done it quite a few times and had absolutely no problems as of yet. Let me know how it goes in a few days Andre

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 4:38:01 PM PDT
Waldo says:
Resistance 3 On Sale for $49.99 @ Newegg.com from Sep 6 -12 With FREE Shipping w/Promo Code: EMCKAKD84

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 5:10:50 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 6, 2011 5:27:35 PM PDT
anonymous says:
this requires psn pass. that mean, once you use the pass and dislike it, you cant return it back to store.

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 5:11:57 PM PDT
Waldo says:
Don't be cheap, buy it new! Don't own a gaming console if you can't afford the games!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  8
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Sep 6, 2011
Latest post:  Sep 6, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Resistance 3 - Playstation 3
Resistance 3 - Playstation 3 by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation 3)
4.2 out of 5 stars   (332)