Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on September 17, 2012
It is time for the church to RISE UP and Righteously resist the corrupt governmental Tyranny running rampant in America today! It is more than well past time for us to stand up as a Christian People and at least try to take back our once great country from the clutches of our enemy the devil and his willing political servants.But wait,aren't we as followers of Christ supposed to blindly and unconditionally submit to all authority just the way it says to do in Romans 13? That is my Pastor's view and while I respect his opinions as my mentor,friend, and Pastor this supposed biblical directive never sat well with me so it was time to start reading the word and doing my research into this troubling doctrine of many modern churches.After some good finds and more than a few commentaries that simply echo the party line of "Don't think ..just OBEY!" I found this OUTSTANDING book by Gordan Runyan!! This book is very clearly the definitive work on how we as Christians should really look at how to apply the lessons in Romans 13 to our actual daily lives in a way that flies in the face of conventional church dogma but is completely in line with the expectations and Character of our Graceful GOD.Gordan makes his points clearly and concisely with plenty of scriptural support and references.He demystifies how we should interpret and apply righteous resistance and disobedience to ANY corrupt authority!This book helped validate the things that GOD was revealing to me in my spirit in such a bold way that I know know without a doubt that I have read and interpreted what GOD showed me in his word properly!What a wonderful affirmation it is to know that we can resist and that in fact it is out DUTY to resist all such tyranny in what ever form we might run into it in.I will definitely be reading Gordan's other books now to see what other insights I might glean form his perspective on GOD's word.I am also going to buy a copy of this book for my Pastor and have him read it with me in an effort to see if we can reconcile our currently opposing view points and then take a unified approach to sharing it with the whole church. I have noticed a funny thing about "Truth"...once confronted with it you MUST take action and responsibility for that truth. Thank You Gordan for writing such a great book!! I look forward to reading your other works. Bless you Brother.
on September 12, 2014
This book is not the modern evangelical explanation of Romans 13. In that modern version, we are told Paul is saying we must obey the magistrate (government) unless the laws are so anti-Christian that it is impossible to obey. This book presents the older Reformed Presbyterian view (though Runyan is not himself a Presbyterian) that Paul was writing in this passage about the proper role of government and the Christian's relationship with a "godly" magistrate. The book owes much to James R. Willson, which the author acknowledges in his foreword.
on February 6, 2015
The definitive counter-argument to the prevailing trend of modern Christians' attitude to not "polish the brass railings on the titanic" in terms of getting involved in the social and political issues in America today. His analysis of the context of Paul's comments on what the proper attitude of Christians to their ruler (government) shows that Paul was speaking of an ideal ruler; one that either adheres to God's Biblical law or at least makes a concerted effort to. No where does Paul instruct the Christian to blindly be subservient to a ruler or government that engages in evil; in fact, he points out through scripture it is our sacred duty to resist such oppression. After a verse by verse study and interpretation of Romans 13: 1-7, Pastor Runyan then answers some common arguments that Christians use to justify inaction such as "Render unto Caesar" and "Early Christians didn't resist under the Roman Emperors." Lastly, he spells out suggestions about what Christian resistance entails.

Conscience and very insightful. I bought multiple copies and handed them out to fellow Christians my study group. highly recommended.
on April 10, 2013
Gordon Runyan's work is desperately needed in our time. "Resistance to Tyrants: Romans 13 and the Christian Duty to Oppose Wicked Rulers" largely debunks erroneous teaching. This book largely echoes Romans 13: The True Meaning of Submission, 2nd Ed. by Timothy and Chuck Baldwin.

Let me first start out with an observation. I find it utterly incomprehensible that the "obedience absolutists" suffer a complete mental lapse and fail to consider the fact that the Apostle Paul wrote the 13 Chapter of Book of Romans from a jail cell after he ran afoul of civil rulers. I think the internet term for this is... WTF?!

Besides all that, I think that more should be written to emphasize the Christian DUTY to resist tyranny than defending "disobedience".

God made man in His image and gave him dominion over the rest of creation. For the Christian to countenance subjugation by ungodly tyrants, much less defend it with pious sophistry, is a denial of the faith and an abomination.

Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Gen 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

"Be fruitful, and multiply" is not a literary parallelism. It says in essence "Be industrious and bring forth heirs that are also industrious." Mankind in to faithfully bear God's image in Creation. As such Man is to model both self control and sovereignty, responsibility and liberty. The Apostle Paul expressed it this way: "All things are lawful unto me, but all things are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will not be brought under the power of any." (1 Cor 6:12)

For Man to be subjugated by sin, vice or tyrants is definitively antithetical to the reason God created Man in the first place. Man was created to reign, not be subjugated and reduced. Paradoxically this involves the characteristic of humble servitude. Christ said it this way:

Luke 22:24 And there was also a strife among them, which of them should be accounted the greatest.

Luke 22:25 And he said unto them, The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and they that exercise authority upon them are called benefactors.

Luke 22:26 But ye shall not be so: but he that is greatest among you, let him be as the younger; and he that is chief, as he that doth serve.

Luke 22:27 For whether is greater, he that sitteth at meat, or he that serveth? is not he that sitteth at meat? but I am among you as he that serveth.

A husbandman tending his plantings, a parent raising children, or a business owner engaging in enterprise all succeed best by considering others first and VOLUNTARY condescension among their peers. A farmer that uses cheap fertilizer and doesn't rotate his crops will have poor yields or inferior fruit. A stern parent will raise a timid child that only knows how to conform and lacks creativity. A ruthless business owner will not last as his employees will have no loyalty, may even sell/leak IP to competitors, go to rival firms or start their own companies based upon better principles of operation and gain the market share held by the ruthless operator.

"Lording it over", tyrannizing, subjugating, top down authoritarianism, and the like are all "the image and likeness of Satan" in that they are 100% antithetical to the servant example of Christ who "being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of His [God's] Person. Being free and sovereign, bearing His image of reigning with dominion, is why God created mankind in the first place. Attendant to all this is requisite responsibility. And the best way for responsibility to function is for the law of consequences to operate unhindered. (Somehow I thought that Darwinists believed in "survival of the fittest", but they seem to be the first to want to bailout incompetence.)

Truly "we get the government we deserve" for, as William Penn observed, "Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants."

For this cause, being God's regents in creation, bearing His image, Christians should be the most zealous advocates and pursuers of Liberty found among men. Perverting subjugation into false humility is the ill-begotten fruit of pietism. The righteous are bold as a lion but the timid flee when no one is pursuing. An low esteem of Christ's justifying work lies at the bottom of all this. Sin consciousness and Arminianism, which veiled Pelagianism, keep Christians in a perpetually stooping posture. The battle, as ever, is a battle of ideas. Let us "gird up the loins of our minds and be sober". Christian.... you are charged to faithfully bear God's image.
on November 21, 2012
Christians have failed their country in recent elections. Our failure is not a moral failure as much as it is a doctrinal failure.

We have allowed the world system around us to 'press us into their mold' in spite of the clear mandate in Romans 12:2 telling us otherwise. The mandate in Romans 12:2 is to resist conformity to the wishes of the world system around us. Opinion manipulators in charge of winning elections have been playing the Christian vote like a fiddle. It is time to stop our sinning against the morality and justice of God by understanding what form human government must take in order for fallen men to live in freedom and tranquility with each other. There is renewal available for the people of God. Romans 12:2 tells us that we are to 'be transformed by the renewal of our minds.'

God's Spirit has a design for Romans 12:2 and Romans 13:2. They both belong in the same Book. If these two verses seem to be dissonant in your mind it is because you probably do not understand them. Pastor Gordon will bring focus and clarity to your view of both of these verses and your relevancy to current culture will be transformed.
on November 15, 2014
As someone with seminary training, I can whole-heartedly give this book a five-star thumbs-up. The author makes excellent use of exegesis (letting the text speak) and hermeneutics (the art of interpreting). He expertly differentiates between opposing government (anarchy) and opposing unlawful government and doing it in a true Christian spirit.
on November 20, 2012
I was wondering how to conduct myself in the aftermath of the last Presidential election. The party in power has beliefs that I can't live with. The B iblical teaching that God has placed government in power really had me concerned as I tried to blend that fact with my understanding of other Bblical truth. How could I follow Jesus and this government? This book gave me a clear path to follow and a better understanding of the fact that government is from God. Prayer is still a necessary ingredient, but there is a way to stay true to Jesus and survive today's world, in so far as God wants me to.
I got Resistance To Tyrants: Romans 13 and the Christian Duty to Oppose Wicked Rulers on my IPAD and Kindle from Amazon.com and carry one or the other with me all the time. I am on my second reading and get something more every time I open it.
on February 27, 2013
When it comes to Biblical doctrine, we can't always decide which interpretation is correct simply by counting noses. We must look at the text. And at that, we have to look at it within context of the whole Bible. For centuries, false teachers have been great at taking a verse or passages out of context to prop up their false doctrines. I am of the opinion that the majority today have done the same with Romans 13 1-7.

The Apostle Paul wrote that the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil, and we see that evil fulfilled within the modern church. So-called preachers are apparently trained -because their organization's 501C3 tax exempt status- to fear the IRS more than they fear God. Pastors are raised up being told the Bible has nothing to say in the realm of politics and that it is bad form to talk about such things from the pulpit.(I suspect some are taught to squat to pee in seminary too, but I digress)

Gordan is not that kind of preacher. He's the real deal. A genuine man who's not afraid to call it like it is. He's a gifted communicator who's writing style is a delight to read. In RTT, he has done a fine job looking at Romans 13 within the context of the rest of the Bible and deals with the common objections that Christians are pre-programmed to raise.

Example: Many speak of "rendering unto Caesar" not even knowing who, or what, "Caesar" really is today! (I'll give you a hint: It AIN'T Obama!)

If you want to understand what Paul was saying in Romans 13 and how it applies to you, then I heartily commend this book to you. By all means, be informed!
on April 30, 2014
This book is written with a non-biased opinion even though the author clearly states his own convictions and views and why thy are so. I have read the Bible and know that much has been lost over time and translation. This book clearly broke down a very important topic as a Christian and American, while being simple and easy to read. Worth the $$$
on November 1, 2013
The authors writing style is compelling and fun without being flip. He makes a great case for the more sensible interpretation of Romans 13 as opposed to the prevailing out of context interpretation to blindly submit to ungodly authority.

I would love for him to cover more, e.g. Two Kingdoms vs Dominionism, examples of the application of each in recent history, and why the "social gospel" promotes ungodly government over biblical mandates.