4.0 out of 5 stars Newsboys take some risks and it pays off
Published 15 months ago by Christopher Smith

2.0 out of 5 stars The band "Tait" has put out a new album....
Published 14 months ago by Spencer

4.0 out of 5 stars Newsboys take some risks and it pays off, September 10, 2013
This review is from: Restart (Audio CD)
Countless shows and two studio albums over the past four years have proven that the Michael Tait brand of Newsboys sells. The previous two releases with Michael Tait were somewhat forgettable overall, but their third release is thankfully more memorable, and that is largely because the Newsboys delivered on their promise to push the musical envelope and take some risks.

This sounds nothing like any previous Newsboys album. Over their 16 studio project career (over 25 years), they have explored many facets of pop/rock. This time around, they boast a dance-pop sound. We started hearing it on Born Again and God's Not Dead, but it's pushed even further here. They explore elements of dub-step ("That's How You Change The World"), bubbly Brit pop/rock ("Go Glow", "Fishers of Men"), modern pop ("Restart", "Love Like I Mean It", "Disaster", "Enemy"), a piano ballad ("That Home") and a CCM'y sound with an electronic flare ("Live With Abandon", "One Word", "We Believe"). Many of these songs sound like today's secular radio dance songs and it's pulled off very well.

Lyrically, the album features positive and encouraging messages. It's been a while since we've heard the quirky lines or thought-provoking lyrics of former Newsboys. With Tait, the quirkiness we've seen with older Newsboys songs like John Woo, Take Me To Your Leader, Live In Stereo (random tracks that popped into my head) are non-existent, but there are plenty of clever lyrics, such as "Seven billion people on a spinnin' ball / And they all mean the world to You" on "Fishers of Men". Other lyrics off the album are often worshipful and anthemic in nature. Most of the songs also have a big catchy chorus and have a strong youth appeal.

Highlights off the album include dub-step influenced "That's How You Change the World", bouncy "Fishers of Men", and the stripped down piano ballad "That Home". While being far from a masterpiece, this album is a very solid pop/rock/electronic album with anthems for living out the Christian faith. There is enough risks taken to be a musically engaging album while still feeling coherent. 3.5/5

If you interested in picking up this album, consider spending a few extra extra dollars to pick up the deluxe edition which has a handful of new tracks.

2.0 out of 5 stars The band "Tait" has put out a new album...., October 8, 2013
This review is from: Restart (Audio CD)
Being a huge DC Talk fan, I have followed all three members through their solo careers. Now, 2 of my childhood bands that I grew up with have two vocalists from the band as their new lead singers. While I love what Kevin Max is doing with Audio Adrenaline, I can't say the same for Michael Tait and the Newsboys. I saw them a month after Michael joined the band and it was different, but really good. Tait could pull it off. Born Again comes out though, and I just didn't feel like I felt when I listened to releases during the Peter Furler Era, or even the John James era. While it was good, I just couldn't call it a full out Newsboys album. But I figured they were just experimenting since they gained two new band members. (Jody returned to guitar in 2009) So "God's Not Dead" came out, and well, it was mostly covers of popular worship songs with a FEW originals. The Newsboys began sounding less and less like themselves and more like a new band started by Michael Tait, (heck their live shows are all new songs except He Reigns and Something Beautiful. Not even their signature song "Shine" is played) But were not talking about the shows or other albums, were talking about "Restart" and I had low expectations with this album, and...I didn't care for it. The Newsboys have always been a Rock/Pop band, and this erases all of that and re-introduces them as a dubstep sounding band. The first single "Live with Abandon," really didn't impress me. It seemed like it was thrown together quickly to guarantee radio play. And that just isn't the Newsboys. Michael Tait, whether with DC Talk or by himself, as well as the Newsboys themselves always seemed to set the bar when making new music, here it seemed as the goal was to make quick radio friendly songs to guarantee attention and album sales. (Eye on It anybody?) Other songs on the album just aren't on par with the single but they are nothing like the final four songs. I am shocked that they actually appeared on a Newsboys album. They don't fit at all. As a whole I am just not impressed with the album or the band. My expectations have been lowered for every album and sadly, I am not a big Newsboys fan anymore. To me, the Newsboys broke up at the end of 2010 and Michael Tait revived "Tait" and recruited Duncan Phillips, Jeff Frankenstein, and Jody Davis formally of Newsboys to be his backup.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit bombastic, 4 producers + outside writers, October 1, 2013
This review is from: Restart (MP3 Music)
I think it should have been called "REINVENT" because that's what the Boys are trying to do here.

Newsboys have always been better at upbeat pop/rock songs and so the introduction of dubstep and layers and layers (and layers and layers) of sweetening and autotune makes this the most "bombastic" CD they've ever produced.

The main problem with the CD is the sequencing of the songs, of which there are too many. 16 songs? A handful sound very much alike and are stacked upfront until a very slow ballade brings things to a full stop.

All the upbeat songs sound like anything you'd hear on the radio (with the exception of a few Lord, God or Jesus in the lyrics.) Problem is, most of today's pop is a refrain repeated over and over and over again, so songs like "Restart" quickly turn sort of vapid and slightly annoying after a few listens. Yes, it's all well produced and has a beat...but it's also a bit mindless and not much depth.

Of the upbeat songs, "That's How You Change The World" doesn't need the autotune or the "oh,oh,ohs" but again, that's pop today. "You, You, You hit the restart" is what I call a little "ditty" and it is PACKED with sounds, hooks, and beats. "Love Like I Mean It" shows the cracks in this CD, in that is sound similar to the previous two songs--so a sameness sets it. Then we have "Go Glow" -- which again sounds like the now previous 3 songs. It's a good track but we're now 4 for 4 of songs that resemble one another.

"That Home" brings things to a standstill--not sure why this slow piano ballade was put here, but it pretty much kills the energy that we had going for about 15 mins.

"Disaster" is a midtempo song that would have been better served earlier and it's followed by the fast dance of "Fishers of Men." By this time, 8 tracks in, fatigue is setting in--and it's only half over!
Still waiting for that killer track...

"One Word" and "Enemy" are two more sound alike songs, similar tempos, followed by "We Believe" which is one of the better songs in that it's not all cluttered/over produced and actually sounds like a song instead of a bunch of producers tinkering in the studio.

"Overflow" brings some much needed energy back after several slow/mid-tempo songs. A nice acoustic foundation help to make this sound different from the other upbeat tracks. A winner--not the killer or classic song I was looking for, but it's got a little more (or less!) going for it than the other tracks.

Oddly, the last 4 tracks aren't at all memorable, ending the CD sort of flat. A remake of Mike and the Mechanic's "The Living Years" is included for some reason--great song, but not sure why it was needed here.

So this is a fun pop album but it seems to be that the fans have rejected it--it entered Billboard at #38 and has fallen to #100 in only its 2nd week, while their previous "band" album BORN AGAIN entered at #4.

Maybe on the next album, the boys will write more of it themselves, and ease back on the number of producers.

2.0 out of 5 stars No. Just, no., October 18, 2013
This review is from: Restart (MP3 Music)
Not worth the download. Certainly not the type of, and I use the term against my better judgement, music 40 year old men should be making. If they want a more "pop-y" feel then go back to what they accomplished with "Not Ashamed" (which still sounds good by the way) and bring that into the 21st century. They should be embarrassed by this.

2.0 out of 5 stars Huge departure from the old good Newsboys, October 7, 2013
RCA (San Jose, Costa Rica) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Restart (Audio CD)
Not a pleasant surprise. If you like techno type of songs with all those electronic filters in the vocals, then you may like this one. I prefer the rock/pop feeling of previous Newsboys albums.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a fan of the direction they went with this one., January 14, 2014
This review is from: Restart (MP3 Music)
I'm really more of a heavy rock fan but still I've always liked the newsboys. They've always had a sound and style that was unique and stood apart from the typical mainstream pop sound. When tait joined the band I was expecting the worse however I loved born again, in fact I thought it was their best album yet! It was different but still upbeat, fresh, guitar driven, and great vocals. Gods not dead wasn't bad either although it wasn't my everyday genera it gave me something nice to listen too when I get into the worship mood. This album however sounds like your typical attempt at the mainstream pop sound which is exactly what I was originally afraid of when tait joined the band 3 years ago! Little guitar sound, I despise atotuned vocals which are half the singing on this album! Not much that's unique about it, doesn't really sound much like the old newsboys or DC talk, sounds more like an inferior tobymac or something that you would hear on the mainstream pop radio. Don't get me wrong the lyrics are still about Christ and seem to be encouraging but that doesn't do me any good because I cant stand to listen to them, I just cant listen to auto tune, its just not natural. If you like modern day pop music then maybe you'll enjoy it, but if your like me, I cant stand modern day pop music so I'm not a fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BEST ever!, July 13, 2014
This review is from: Restart (Audio CD)
This is THE BEST Christian music I have ever heard! I wouldn't classify it as rock...it's not like most of the praise and worship that I've listened to before. Many of the songs on this album make you want to get up and dance! And the lyrics are pure poetry, both beautiful and inspirational. I feel like I'm praying as I sing along. I've played this album at least 100 times in the car CD player and put it on the iPod that I just bought. I play it a lot and I play it loud...making a joyful noise unto the Lord!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Album!, April 5, 2014
This review is from: Restart (MP3 Music)
I can't believe I waited this long to get this! I just love every song on it. It keeps me smiling the whole time I'm listening and has so many great messages in their songs!

5.0 out of 5 stars Christian Dance Music, March 13, 2014
This review is from: Restart (MP3 Music)
The best Christian dance album I ever heard, and truly a blessing to listen too. Keep up the great work Newsboys! God bless you always.

4.0 out of 5 stars Newsboys restarted, December 22, 2013
This review is from: Restart (MP3 Music)
I'm a big Newsboys fan... Both old and new. While there are some beautifully touching tracks on Restart ... A few destined to be classics. Somehow this album seemed more "produced" and less sincere than the last several albums. God is glorified by the boys as always... And in spite of my comments, I have been touched by the message and music.

New Years update: The album is really growing on me.

Restart
Restart by Newsboys (Audio CD - 2013)