Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation Learn more

Showing 1-10 of 22 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
on November 28, 2009
Loved the book, and I definitely loved the fact that there's another one coming....well at least that's the conclusion I'm drawing from the ending. First things first, just to prevent others from making the same mistake I did before I found out there was a Gideon series. If you're looking at this review, read these books in the right order. That way you won't read one feeling like you're missing something. 1. Sleeping with strangers 2. Walking with enemies 3. Dying for revenge (Where I started) 4. Resurrecting midnight.

Back to the review. This installment of the Gideon series answers some of the questions we've had throughout the previous books. It also has a few huge twists that show you just how clever the author is. The main twist man...it takes a great imagination to come up with that. Gideon is still the main character but he shares that role with "Medianoche" one of the heads of the "Four Horsemen". This book also brings back to the forefront the love of Gideon for Arizona the grifter who has forever held his heart no matter who else he may have bene with. Great read and I can't wait for the next installment. Hoping that in the next book Gideon ends up with Hawks (she's got my vote) and that there is some kind of moment somewhere she and Arizona have to meet face to face. CAN YOU IMAGINE....well that's just my suggestion to EJD as if he needed any pointers. Go get it, if you liked the other books you'll like this one as well.
on February 24, 2013
This one was not as good as the others in the Gideon series only because the fight scenes were a little too long for my liking. It was still exciting and nail-biting but I thought the things the characters endured would definitely kill any regular adult.

I really liked the mysterious twist throughout the book. Overall, it a GREAT read. I highly recommend this book.
on February 28, 2010
I can say that I enjoyed this book better than "Dying For Revenge." Dickey has done a great job of bringing back old characters, introducing new characters and creating a tightly woven story that takes place with what seems like a ton of sub-plots. To be able to pull it all together and not be at all confusing is a talent within itself.

I would say for any fan of the Gideon series should continue the journey with this book. HOWEVER, I do have one major sticking point with this book and it carries over from Dying For Revenge. It seems as though Dickey has replaced all of the over-sexed chapters from the first 2 books with tons of geographical, trivia-based information that does not in my opinion serve the plot. Many times I felt like I was reading a Wikipedia insert in the middle of the story because it feels more "academic" than just a natural description/progression of the plot, characters, etc. It seemed this approach was not as heavy-handed in the first 2 books. I like supplemental info when its a value-add, but in many cases it really stalls the pacing of the book. Many of these books would be even better if they were 40-75 pages less without the filler things (i.e. geography, miscellaneous cultural history of areas, foreign language entries that are immediately translated, etc.)

**POSSIBLE SPOILER**
One other observation that was very "unGideon-like" was that normally all of the killers are cold-blooded and for some reason there are a lot of instances where the assassins let a person live and its very different than the approach that the previous books had. I found it to be very odd to say the least.

Overall it was a great effort and apart from the pacing and some of the questionable actions the book is a quality addition to the series...VA
on April 28, 2014
I have read all of the books in the Gideon series and this was the best yet. The last two books have failed to impress me. They were slow and plodding and a little boring. I almost didn't read this one, but it proved to be a better read than I was expecting.
on October 17, 2012
When I bought this book, I was not really knowing what to expect, but the pace of the first two books is back and the characters in this book are most sinister. Evil to the core.

The reentry of Arizona was absolutely unexpected and what a plot. Won't give it away, but only EJD would think of it.

I'm anticipating the next book in the series.
on September 22, 2010
Wow..I am not one for alot of violence, but this book had me on the edge of my seat. I had to skip over the spanish parts, but OMG, once the action started, it did not let up. The characters in this book are what you call true soliders and I would hate to go against anyone of them, including the females. EJD, you can't end the book like this, there has to be a sequel....
on November 18, 2012
Normally I'm pulled in immediately by Mr. Dickey's novels but this one took a while to capture my attention. However as always once I'm drawn in it's hard to put it down and disappointed when it ends!
on September 4, 2010
I loved this book. It started a little slow but once it picked up I did not want to put it down! I absolutely love Gideon and I love that EJD mixed in various languages in this book. It was very exciting. i can't wait to read the next Gideon book.
on June 18, 2013
This was very good. Every chapter kept you in suspense. Hoping there is more to come of him. Loved every minute of this. Thank you again Eric Jerome Docket, every thing you write is just wonderful..
on May 16, 2013
EJD is an outstanding writer, with that said I feel this book was entirely to long with a lot of filler. Will read the sequel though. Also EJD please cut back on using the Lord's name in vain.