Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Retire Happy: What You Can Do Now to Guarantee a Great Retirement (USA TODAY/Nolo Series)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Billy Talent Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on April 29, 2008
I have purchased several retirment planning books and this is the best book on the subject I have found. There are a lot of good books that cover the financial aspect of retirement, but what makes this book different is that in addition to covering the financial part of retirement very thoroughly, it also deals with the emotional side of retirement. Specifically, how you are going to spend your time in retirement. It is the non-financial aspect that is most thought provoking. Topics such as: developing interests and hobbies now for your retirement years; nurturing current friendships and making new ones; the value of improving family relationships, etc. The book is written in plain language with just enough emphasis on each topic to cover the subject matter adequately without going into unnecessary and boring detail. This book has really opened my eyes about the emotional side retirement. Prior to reading this book, I thought retirement happiness just came naturally simply because you were no longer going to work five days a week. I couldn't have been more wrong. If you buy just one book on how to retire happy, both financially and emotionally, this is the book!
on October 10, 2008
My husband and I are both retired so not all of the information was revelvant; however, especially the chapters dealing with the non-financial aspects of retirement are some of the best and most concise essays on those topics. For us, it provided an excellent review and got us rethinking our priorities in retirement.

The financial information is similar to what you would get in other retirement planning books. The 2008 date makes it more current than the Retirement Bible by Lynn O'Shaughnessy which I prefer. The O'shaughnessy book has more detail and depth. I still use the 2001 edition but check to see if the laws have changed.
on August 25, 2008
Planning for retirement consists of visualizing the kind of life you want to have, not only about the dollars you need. "Retire Happy" is an excellent resource for building a total retirement plan that can lead to a fulfilling life. From helping you define the contribution you'd like to make with all of your free time, to a chapter on making friends, this book is a holistic approach to retirement planning. The sections on financial planning are excellent, and after reading this book I was able to talk very knowledgeably with a financial planner, which accelerated my retirement planning process. Best of all my wife and I talk more about the choices we can make to ensure a quality of life in retirement.
on December 26, 2012
Info on investing was OK. Real estate investing paragraphs were clearly not written by a savvy real estate investor. Overall, investing info was comprehensive and a decent starting point for further analysis and planning.

Best part was the section on relationships and family. Retirement is a shift of energy from colleagues to friends and relatives. Preparing for this relational change in life is AT LEAST as important as preparing for the financial component, in my opinion.

The book made me pause to consider both the financial and relational components from a new angle.
on March 14, 2016
Great book, and priced right. I setup corporations as serve as a senior business consultant for attorneys and individuals alike, and each year but the NOLO and Entrepreneur publications to stay updated and for additional insider information. I find them easy to understand, and their information reliable. Laws, and procedures change, so it's important to update these books regularly.
on June 4, 2012
Equity Indexing: The Insurance Industry's Secret Weapon Against Stock-Market Risk
Good basics, such as calculating your future needs, but I prefer a high-yield fixed approach for saving/investing. Great insight into the daily life of the retiree, but it doesn't go far enough. I am currently testing the mini-retirement approach by Tim Ferriss (The 4-Hour Work Week) which I think everyone should try. His approach teaches you to test different scenarios/styles of retirement to see if you will even like it - no sense building for decades toward something that you haven't yet sampled.
on July 7, 2009
After reading part of this book, I bought several copies for fellow workers. The book itself is very comprehensive but, even better, it provides references to other sources including websites.

Alternate viewpoints on topics such as tapping 401k or other funds are presented. [The book presents data rather than "preaching".]

This book has also convinced me to lower my blood pressure and lose weight based on data provided!
on January 27, 2014
This book was very informative. It covered retirement planning, Medicare, pensions, home ownership and how to determine where to start with spending retirement funds in retirement. Also covered laws that govern employment issues that elders face as well as giving resources to further your search
on October 12, 2014
Good generic info. Recommend to anyone that will like to retire one day. Not Recommended for the advanced planner. Overall good weekend read
on February 9, 2014
It's a little dated now and needs to be updated. Overall god advice but also very broad and often too general.