4.0 out of 5 stars Jake is different
Jake is definitely not your usual protagonist. Unsure of himself, but driven to find answers to questions other dismiss, he is a very likeable guy. Gary, his antiquated photographer sidekick adds significant comic relief. This was an enjoyable, light read.
Published on March 11, 2011 by Carol A. Fuhr

3.0 out of 5 stars Murder in Sarasota: Fun Read
Published on March 8, 2011 by AvidReader47

3.0 out of 5 stars Murder in Sarasota: Fun Read, March 8, 2011
Murder in Sarasota (A Jake Russo Mystery) by Phil Edwards was a fun read. Jake Russo is sent down to Sarasota Florida to write for the local paper. He is sent to a senior living facility where he meets Charlotte. She enlists the help of Jake because she banned from playing bridge and someone is stalking her. The ending was pretty easy to figure out, but it didn't stop you from reading. I wanted to find out if I was right, and I was.

3.0 out of 5 stars Jake Russo, the Unlikely Hero, April 2, 2011
An old woman ends up dead on the beach in Florida. Did the bridge club do her in? Or was it eco-terrorists?

Jake Russo, a former fat guy consigned by the Times to the backwater of Sarasota to write fluff pieces, labors to solve the mystery with the help of his geriatric cameraman, Gary. Russo's the anti-hero of detective books: not too smooth with the ladies and not so great with his fists, either.

The relationship between the sometimes coherent Gary and the not always competent Jake makes for entertaining reading. These cats aren't exactly Holmes and Watson, but they'll do in a place like Sarasota.

It's a funny book--at times laugh-out-loud hilarious.

Strangely, for a novel that uses the name of the place in its title, Sarasota is not very present as a character in the book. How can one write about this area without one single mention of the fist-sized mosquitoes or the thumb-sized palmetto bugs or the church-on-every-corner zeitgeist?

I recommend this book to people who want to pass a pleasant weekend without hurting their heads. I'll definitely read the next Russo, but wouldn't consider MURDER IN SARASOTA a must-read.

2.0 out of 5 stars Murder in Sarasota, March 21, 2011
Very disappointed read. This book barely held my attention and was predictable from page 1. Luckily I was able to purchase this book for a very cheap price otherwise it would have been money thrown away....Unfortunately it was just a boring and tedious book. I did read from cover to cover hoping it would get better but it just stayed even keeled with no excitement.

2.0 out of 5 stars It kept me reading, but..., March 20, 2012
I read the whole book. So that's actually saying something. I didn't give up, I didn't quit. I kept reading and hoping it would get better. Another reviewer said it was a nice break from a James Patterson blood fest. Funny, but that's exactly why I picked this book up. But it just never got hold of me. It just never took off. It just sat there. The characters were poorly drawn and the scenes barely illuminated. I'm going back to the Women's Murder Club, and the Dean Man series. Jake Russo wasn't quite my cup o' tea.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jake is different, March 11, 2011

2.0 out of 5 stars What's in a plot? Plenty!, April 7, 2011
Dr. Sally Ann Michlin (Westport, CT United States) - See all my reviews
The plot of Retirement Can Be Murder (A Jake Russo Mystery) is strong and the characters are realistic, for the most part. Unfortunately, for me, I figured out who the "bad guy" was before the middle of the book. In the beginning of the book, English was so badly used that I thought a couple of characters had foreign accents. Because I don't like to stop reading a book without finishing it, I continued. Some characters made great foils. The most enjoyable part of the book was character development. There is much better, low-priced, reading available for the Kindle. The author didn't do minimal research; Sarasots is not on the ocean side of Florida; it is one the Gulf.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing book, April 22, 2011
A who-dunnit that doesn't do it for me. Irritating characters like Gary and Thompson. They are the attempted humor, but instead you end up just disliking their stupidity. Stilted dialog and thoughts that try to be funny, but barely manages to bring a smile to your face. I figured out the plot about half way through, before the main character even had a clue that there really had been a murder (and I'm not really that good at figuring out plots). I realized before that why I disliked the book so much. Envision Jake Russo looking and talking like Woody Allen, and picture Mel looking like Diane Keaton, and there you have it. If you like Woody's movies, you'll like this book. If you can't stand him (like most normal people), then you'll hate this book. The only real surprise in the book was the hiding place (won't give it away for those of you who still want to read it), and what ended up being in there. Even the sexy neighbor wasn't a twist, just patently obvious. If I could have rated the book lower than 1, it would get a -2. As one of the characters keeps saying: Ech! I read it to the end, but it was excruciating, and then end didn't bring any relief.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly written, March 20, 2011
Poorly written. Unengaging. The character struck me as a rather slow and dull character. Rarely have a I started a book that I could not finish, however I've yet to make it through this book. The plot itself wasn't too bad, but the characters were shallow, vague, irritating and unbelievable. I felt like I was on some sort of slow motion, confusion causing drug. I would have to be paid to read this book beginning to end. Definitely not worth paying for (as rude and harsh as this sounds).

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun read, January 1, 2012
L. Maple (MA United States) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed this, my introduction to this author. It's not a hard boiled crime/mystery, but I like books with humor and mystery. I will be seeking out his other books. I love that free Kindle books turn me on to new (to me) authors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel Good Book - A Weekend Of Fluff, December 13, 2011
I read this book on a bit of a whim, seeing the somewhat cheesy title and expecting a fluffy read. I got it and enjoyed it a lot. This was a good way to pass my weekend with a light story with funny characters and a little conspiracy. The humor somewhat follows the title- vaudevillian, cute, and willing to have a little fun.

Retirement Can Be Murder: A Jake Russo Mystery
Retirement Can Be Murder: A Jake Russo Mystery by Phil Edwards (Paperback - August 31, 2011)
$8.99 $7.99