Published 18 months ago by Vic

1.0 out of 5 stars D-pad destroys gaming experience
First off, I'll say that ordered two conrollers and both worked and I got them set up quickly. That's the good news..and now for the bad...

Published on December 10, 2010 by machius

1.0 out of 5 stars D-pad destroys gaming experience, December 10, 2010
This review is from: SNES Retro USB Super Nintendo Controller (Video Game)

The controller feels bad. This is hard to explain, but if remember the feel of an actual snes controller, then hold one of these, it will feel light, plastic, and cheap. When you press any of the ABXY buttons, you'll get a lot of resistance, like the controller just doesn't want to play with you. I got sore wrists after less than 30 minutes.

But this real issue is the D-Pad. Pushing on it is like buying a mystery box. You're really not sure where you're going to go. Now, down will not send you up, but if you want to go straight down and not diagonally left or right, you have to be EXACTLY pushing down. Let me tell you, if you're a hard core gamer, and you try a game like Dr. Mario or Ninja Gaiden with this peice of garbage, get ready for an excercise in frustration...and a couple of sore hands.

Do yourself a favor and buy a REAL snes controller and get a snes usb converter. I know I will.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great controller, if you actually get the Tomee brand as shown., August 30, 2013
Vic (Chicago, IL) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SNES Retro USB Super Nintendo Controller (Video Game)
I ordered two of these, two days apart, from what I thought was the same vendor, but wasn't. Since both controllers that I bought were the same price, prime eligible and both fulfilled by Amazon, I didn't notice that they were from different sellers (I had simply clicked on my previous order and reordered the same item when I bought the second). Long story short, the controller that arrived in the Tomee packaging (sold by Hitgaming) seems to be far superior to the other version that I received from Westronics (which came in a generic, bulk plastic bag, not a box). While they both work fine for basic games like MarioKart, the Tomee controller seems more responsive and the D-pad is more accurate. I have used both controllers so far in conjunction with emulators on a Windows PC, a Linux PC and my Nexus 7 tablet, all with the same results. Either controller is fine for the amount that is being charged (let's face it, you're not buying an $80 high-end controller here...), but consider yourself lucky if you get the Tomee brand as is pictured.

5.0 out of 5 stars This thing is awesome., October 7, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: SNES Retro USB Super Nintendo Controller (Video Game)
I've been wanting to play some Donkey Kong Country for along time now. I've messed around with emulators before and never liked having to use a keyboard. So I didn't some research and came across the Tomee USB SNES controller. Let me tell you this thing is awesome. It's so close to the original controller it's crazy. It isn't a clone match but it's as close as you can get to the original. Easy to set up and it WORKS! As another reviewer said make sure you order it from Outlet and not Quickbuys. I say buy it if you wanna play the games the way there were meant to be played without having to go out searching for the games and systems.

BTW I also use this with a Genesis, NES, and Gameboy emulator and they all work great!

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of crap!!!!, September 1, 2011
This review is from: SNES Retro USB Super Nintendo Controller (Video Game)
The Right button on the cross pad did not work as it should. If you press ever slightly too hard the character would not move. I had faith that this controller would work. I was wrong. Save your money and get an actual SNES controller with a USB adapter. Even if it costs you a couple bucks more. Trust me you will be glad you did. I saw a very positive review on YouTube about this so I was hoping it would work great. I was wrong and the YouTube review was wrong. DO NOT ORDER FROM WORLD WIDE DISTRIBUTORS. THEY WOULD NOT REFUND MY MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. I Repeat DO NOT ORDER FROM WORLD WIDE DISTRIBUTORS. They WILL rip you off.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its ok but..., October 31, 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: SNES Retro USB Super Nintendo Controller (Video Game)
I bought this thinking "pretty cool! A replica SNES controller to play emulation games just like when I was a kid". But instead I got a controller that had a stiff control pad. Had to re-open the pad and readjust it so the buttons would at least react to my thumb press. Not totally responsive but if you play for a while you can get used to the feel and its not actually that bad. The whole thing is made of plastic, feels cheap, and is lighter than the original SNES controller. Overall, Its better than nothing, but If you have the funds and absolutely must have the same feel as the original go with an SNES to USB adapter for sale on this site and pair it with an original SNES controller as thats the way to go.

1.0 out of 5 stars Spend an Extra ~10 Dollars, January 4, 2011
This review is from: SNES Retro USB Super Nintendo Controller (Video Game)
Bought this for use with emulators without doing any research outside of reading the reviews here. Luckily it was only 13 or so dollars wasted. Bottom line is the Dpad's junk. Worked ok for a few days, then button presses(Dpad) started to not register and it only got worse.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have skipped this purchase and went straight to the Gravis Gamepad Pro I have now. Even if you're brand new to emulator gaming and maybe not that serious skip this product and use your search engine of choice for "best emulator controllers" there will be plenty of good advice out there that will allow you to purchase something worth your coin.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong, September 5, 2011
St3v0 (London, Mexico) - See all my reviews
This review is from: SNES Retro USB Super Nintendo Controller (Video Game)
A word of warning- the pictured controller might not actually be what you receive. I ordered this controller last week, and fully expected to receive the excellent "Tomee" brand usb snes controller. What I received instead was a low quality "retrolink" brand controller. It seems that Amazon and sellers do not differentiate between usb snes brands. If you must order it here, be careful. If not, I recommend stoneagegamer.com, as they're the only retailer that seems to reliably carry the tomee snes controller.

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent substitute, July 8, 2010
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
Update 8/25/10

I originally gave this product a two star review, largely because of the terrible product photo and information published here on Amazon - I didn't get the same controller as another reviewer had, and I did not initially realize that this had been a mistake.

In any case - This product is the Tomee brand SNES USB controller. The build quality is solid. The fit and feel are largely true to the original, with the exception of the plastic start/select buttons. As a basic USB game pad I'm extremely happy with this product.

The only down side (and reason this is rated at 4 stars and not 5) is that the D-pad has been somewhat quirky. I am occasionally getting completely wrong signals in my games - for example, I may push down-left and simultaneously watch my character move up on the screen. I have not yet been able to isolate this and I am still not positive that this is not a software problem - If I can find that the controller has nothing to do with this, this review will change to 5 stars easily.

This is head and shoulders above the Retrolink brand SNES USB controller, which you can find here:Retrolink USB Super Nintendo SNES Classic Controller This is the controller I originally received in error.

The Retrolink controller is cheap - poorly formed plastic, parts not well connected... It does technically work, but it isn't something you'd actually enjoy using. It does not even remotly compare to this Tomee brand controller.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty sweet., October 21, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: SNES Retro USB Super Nintendo Controller (Video Game)
I gave these controllers 4 stars instead of 5 because the material they are made out of feels a little cheap. However, for the price the quality is pretty good. The start and select buttons are plastic instead of rubber, but I actually prefer that. I remember after long hours of my neighbor pressing start on my controller repeatedly in order to mess me up in Mario Kart, the rubber started to wear off. Hopefully the plastic will lost a lot longer.

Pros
--It's a Super Nintendo controller, that's pretty awesome.
--I didn't have to find any drivers or anything, windows just made it happen.
--I have yet to pinch my fingers in the buttons, but that might just be because my fingers are bigger now.

Cons
--The controller is a little light and cheap feeling
--The buttons click a lot louder on this controller then the old Super Nintendo controller, say goodbye to late night Street Fighter II sessions in bed while your girlfriend tries to sleep.

Overall this controller is a good investment. I needed more sleep anyway. My girlfriend is reading over my shoulder as I write this. Any information pertaining to the girlfriend should be taken with a grain of salt. However the controller review is honest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Closest to the real thing you're going to get., December 30, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: SNES Retro USB Super Nintendo Controller (Video Game)
This controller is unequivocally the most solid recreation of the SNES controller you can get; without it actually being a SNES controller. Strangely enough, after witnessing with horror the sheer inexplicably bad NES tomee controller, this controller was a breath of fresh air. The D-Pad is decent, though not perfect. The L and R buttons are perfect, down to being clicky near the inside to being soft near the outer edge of the controller. The face buttons are all very solid, and even share the same convex/concave styling of the original controller. They aren't spongy, and spring back very well when pressed. Overall, this is the best knockoff you can buy, and for the $13 I paid for it, I was definitely happy. Purchasing a 1st-party SNES controller and Adapter now would cost over twice the price of this controller.

SNES Retro USB Super Nintendo Controller
SNES Retro USB Super Nintendo Controller by Tomee (Mac OS X, Windows 7 / 98)
$24.99 $9.24