Most helpful critical review
50 of 57 people found the following review helpful
imitations - do not be fooled!
on July 27, 2012
These wheels look good, but are actually very poor:
* When I spun the wheel before putting on the bike, I could feel the bearings grind. Then, when I tried to re-adjust the cones, I found there was no channel in the axle and no lock-washer for proper fine tuning. The cones were stuck and I literally had to re-thread the axle in order to get the bolts and cones off.
* These rims are not sleeved, pinned, or triple walled (unlike the quality rims they're imitating).
* Spoke/nipple holes are just punched/ripped through, not precision ground, leaving ugly shards of metal inside (internal and just cosmetic, but really cheap, ugly and unnecessary).
* Hubs are only painted black, not anodized.
* Spokes are painted black (chips off very easily), not dyed.
* Axles are slightly larger than standard...enough that I had to grind them down to fit in my drop-outs.
CST tires and tubes are the only quality parts on this wheelset.
You want a low priced set of quality deep Vs?...get Origin 8. Yeah, you don't get tires, tubes or cogs but they're way worth the extra effort.
Anyone who gave these a high rating is either someone who just received them and wrote a review before inspecting/using them (a pre-teen mesmerized by the colors?) or someone with low to no standards.