Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on June 16, 2010
In "A Return to Abundance" Book I, Paul Gubany begins with the myth of Diacrusos and ends with some deep insights into the negative relationships people have with money. Gubany writes beautifully and due to his excellent story telling skills, you will be drawn into the story, experience the perils of Diacrusos, and subsequently be able to transform your own beliefs (and habits) regarding money.

It is astonishing how many people struggle with money issues, and, sadly, many are never able to change these negative patterns. I am now recommending this book frequently in my coaching and therapy practice. Anyone who wants to change his or her negative beliefs and patterns will be poised to make important life changes with the help of this book. Thank you Paul Gubany!

Francesca Ferrentelli, Ph.D., LPC
Healing on Humphrey
St. Louis, MO
on April 28, 2011
4.5 / 5

(Received via Member Giveaways at LibraryThing and review is cross-posted there.)

I found the book to be very interesting and thought provoking overall.

I like the flow of information and how Mr. Gubany will be splitting up the volumes (per the Table of Contents).

The exercises at the end of each chapter are a wonderful segue between the chapters: A way to end a segment and reflect on it before moving on to the next segment.

The Appendices that appear in this book (and which will appear in the other volumes) are good reference sections, especially the low-cost recipes.

Having said all of that, I do have a couple minor quibbles and they stem mainly from my own preferences in formatting.

The first "quibble" I have is how the Table of Contents is set up. I would have like to see just the Table of Contents for the current volume of the series instead of for all of the books within the series.

The other "quibble" is the page numbering for the Appendices. While I have nothing against the Appendices appearing in all of the volumes of the series, I would have preferred to see the page numbers between the main text and the Appendices reflect the current volume.

To me (and this may be due to my work as a proofreader), these two points make the book look as if it will be going through at least another edit before the final product will be made available to the general public.
on August 19, 2012
A Return to Abundance: Book 1 by Paul L. Gubany
Release Date: April 2nd, 2010
Publisher: Mindseight Publications (self-published)
Page Count: 151 (+ common appendices, glossary, and index)
Source: Complimentary copy provided by author, via LibraryThing Member Giveaways, in exchange for an honest an unbiased review

A gripping read... A Return to Abundance begins with the gripping myth of Diacrusos, where you are taken into the world of story to illustrate the various destructive money patterns we all face. If you are tired of constantly worrying about finances, of equating your self worth with your income, of living in fear of financial ruin, or of spending more than you earn, this series of books is for you. With Paul Gubany's coaching in A Return to Abundance, you will be able to stop damaging behaviors and begin a prosperous financial future.

What Stephanie Thinks: While I do appreciate the well-organized smooth flow of A Return to Abundance, I'm not sure it's necessarily a 'life-changing' read on account of two factors: its rather mulling and archaic material, as well as its questionable credentials.

Yes, it is, according to the book's website, Ph.D.-, LPC-, and CSC/CPIA-endorsed, but please note that these are paid endorsers: professionals who would have praised and 'approved' of the book regardless of its content, because of the unmistakably large compensation the author provided. I'm not saying A Return to Abundance isn't worthy of professional endorsement, because for the most part, it's deep, and I can tell, very well-researched, but I'm just saying: don't let the raving reviews from the pros fool you.

I'm not sure where the five-star reviews are flowing from. Like I said, A Return to Abundance has some helpful lists and observations, but it's nothing 'gripping' or ground-breaking like I expected it to be. Gubany's style is easy to read, but the majority of this book doesn't seem scientific; a lot of it consists of the author's pondering and circular reasoning that I'm skeptical of. His works referenced are outdated too, which made me wonder if I readers could actually take this one for educational use. I mostly skimmed because of this.

Another thing I'm doubtful of is the author's own certifications. He does have an MBA in finance and has been a finance instructor, but he is self-taught in Jungian psychology, philosophy, mythology, and epic poetry, which are all important elements of this book that I would hope would be more trust-worthy. Considering this book is self-published as well, I'm not keen on relying on its professionalism. I have nothing against indies and self-pubs, as you know, but when it comes to non-fiction that uses references and is supposed to be instructional, I have the right to hesitate.

If you have a copy A Return to Abundance, it's definitely worth a read, but it's not something I would recommend off the top of my head; certainly not the kind of motivational finance self-help book I would have bought myself.

Radical Rating: 6 hearts -- Satisfying for a first read, but I'm not going back.
on August 27, 2010
The next time someone complains to you about their finances - and this may be as soon as later today - give them a copy of this book. Paul Gubany has written an extraordinary book that for once goes beyond fingerpointing and/or simple platitudes. Instead, he enters the deepest realms of our psyche, that nagging inner play that goes on if we like it or not. Only there can we truly meet our notions, attitudes and core ideas about money and values. He eases us into this not always comfortable but essential thinking through a powerful and instantly gripping myth. Stories are easier fare and we can't help but get excited about the journey. And this one is particularly important for it will help you see the connection between your self-worh and your net-worth - until that happens, we all remain complainers. Buy this book - for yourself and for your friends.
on April 28, 2011
This book questions some of our very basic cultural ideas about money and wealth, ideas we completely take for granted. What is money? Why do we need to be ever accumulating more? Is there some point at which we have enough? If so, where is that point? What does it look like? Gubany points out some familiar aspects of our culture's dysfunctional relationship with money, but he takes it several steps farther, asks us to look deeper. This is not just a book for people who have clear difficulties with money. I would recommend it to anyone. It's the kind of book that gets you to question ideas and priorities you may not even be aware you have.
on July 14, 2010
After reading the three volumes of A RETURN TO ABUNDANCE, I now have meaningful and enjoyable conversations about money and finance with my teenage children. Other financial books I've read didn't jumpstart money conversations with friends and family. Here are three reasons I think A RETURN TO ABUNDANCE succeeds.

1. Money unconsidered is an unconscious demon, we react out of our long-standing patterns, rather than acting based on conscious choices. Author Paul Gubany's brilliant use of everything from the history of money, to psychology, to Greek Mythology helps uncover a person's individual money patterns. (Volume One and Two) Once you know the patterns, you have choices - and life patterns are always fun to talk about.

2. If you don't decide what's ENOUGH, you'll never have ENOUGH. Gubany helps us figure out what our own Abundance is, and he shows us the satisfaction and simplicity of living with a personal definition of Abundance. (Volume Two) If you don't know what's ENOUGH, you'll never ever have enough money. Gubany's process gave me a sense of peace and well-being about money that I've never felt before - I'm freer now from the money demon than I was before I read A RETURN TO ABUNDANCE, freer than anytime I can remember!

3. A RETURN TO ABUNDANCE, along with its engaging presentations about the nature of money and the human psyche, also includes the technical aspects of understanding the time value of money. (Volume Three) No problem for my kids to understand this third volume of A RETURN TO ABUNDANCE, and, barring the collapse of our world order, they see how they can realistically and easily accumulate a millionaire retirement during their working years. These are nice conversations to have during dinner.

My advice - stop reading the reviews - start reading A RETURN TO ABUNDANCE. I wish Paul Gubany a wide readership, his book is a work of love, a work of art, a benefit to anyone who will open its covers.

Lars Clausen'
Award Winning Author '
One Wheel - Many Spokes
on April 30, 2011
I have read all three books of Paul Gubany's "A Return to Abundance" and found them to be helpful, powerful and transformative. The books helped me become aware of my unconscious beliefs about money and how harmful and damaging they have been to me physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. Change begins with awareness. By reading the books I am now aware when I bump into old beliefs and make deliberate choices that honor and value me. Gubany offers a new paradigm of abundance that is beneficial and life-affirming - a must read for anyone searching for a more meaningful and joyful life.
I recently read volume 1 of Paul Gubany's trilogy "Return to Abundance". The book sits easily in the hand and is a pleasure to read. The following are just a few of the reasons the book engaged me:

1. I believe that the information is very useful, adaptable and has the potential to help many people faced with a variety of financial challenges.
2. I very much enjoyed the opening Greek myth. It was well written, entertaining and pulled me deep within the book.
3. The story of "Beauty and the Man Who Lived Simply" particularly moved me... for a whole variety of self reflecting reasons.
4. The book makes you analyze your attitudes concerning money. The exercises included at the end of each chapter are quite thought provoking.
5. I had not intended to read volume 2 but was sufficiently captivated by volume 1 that I intend to read it over the July 4 weekend.

Anyone who has ever wondered why they have financial issues or where their attitudes about money come from, will find this book full of both answers and guidance.

Sincerely,

Carolyn M. Hopkins, MD
on September 3, 2010
I was more than impressed with this book. It illustrates perfectly the obsession that our society has with money and how history, family, upbringing and more have shaped this attitude. It is unconscious, powerful and complex in nature, but Paul L Gubany explains how these processes can be altered and it is possible to "train" our minds to think differently and achieve a happy relationship with money and the "power" it brings. How to achieve happiness in ourselves.

After each chapter, I completed the exercises given and I have already found that I am "checking" myself and using Paul's methods of thinking. I have confidence that this is a permanent way of life for me. I have now lent it to a friend and three more are waiting in line to borrow it. Others have asked where to buy it. So....... it is raising quite a stir in my small part of Yorkshire, UK.

I urge everyone to obtain this book. It really is a life changer. Without doubt, the success you achieve is down to your own commitment, but Pau'l's writings are a starting point for that change. Inspirational!
on April 29, 2011
A very interesting take on society's obsession with money. History and ancestry influences a lot about us but Gubany raises the point that it can also shape our unconscious views on money. We always say "Money can't buy happiness" but are the deep underlying thoughts telling us differently?