Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on May 13, 2009
The Show: I don't know how to describe these guys. Their musicianship is just beyond excellent. If you're a fan of Return to Forever or just any one individual, you must have this show. Their performance blows me away. I saw their concert in St. Louis (USA) and I'm so happy to have one of their shows on Blu-Ray. The Montreux portion is not the entire show, but close to it. The disc contains the first electric set (minus the "Opening Prayer" tune, the only new RTF song of the tour written by Chick Corea) and most of the second acoustic set (minus the two encores). It's running time is 1 hour, 49 minutes and 16 seconds.

Video Quality: Phenomenal! It's just ridiculously sharp and clear. In some ways, watching this on Blu-Ray is better than actually being there. The Blu-Ray has a 1080i MPEG-4 AVC @ 26 Mbps encoding on a 50GB dual layer disc.

Audio Quality: Again, Phenomenal! The DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (24bit/48kHz) track is just so crisp, clear and enveloping. The Linear PCM 2.0 track (24bit/48kHz) is also phenomenal when I want to enjoy straight stereo. The Dolby 5.1 track (16bit/48kHz/640kbps)....I don't plan on listening to that one.

Extras: So this made me mad. The 5 bonus tracks that we get from the July 31, 2008 Clearwater, Florida show are nice to have, but the entire time they placed different angles of video in a box pattern on the screen with some unnecessary visual effects in between. It doesn't even fill in the entire screen either. It's very annoying in my opinion. Nothing like the experience you get from the Montreux portion of the disc. The video and audio attributes are identical to the Montreux set. It's running time is 41 minutes and 36 seconds.

Final Thoughts: This is a must-have Blu-Ray. Unreal quality all around. I gave 4 stars, but I would have easily given 5 if not for the bonus tracks being like they are.
VINE VOICEon March 2, 2016
This is a high-quality audio-visual presentation of four world-class musicians playing world-class music which was mainly written decades ago but still sounds fresh and stimulating today. If you're a fan of Return to Forever or jazz-rock fusion - or just great music - this is a must-have. It's inspiring to see these legends from my youth still able to perform at this extraordinary level.
on November 27, 2009
Just as the title of this review says, this is an excellent Blu-ray disc.
The video quality is so lifelike, it's almost like being there. For some reason, my BD player allows me to choose the HD-Audio option even though I can only connect audio to my receiver via digital optical cable, but the sound is incredible nonetheless (I can only get true HD audio via HDMI from my Panasonic BD35 player)! It is easily the best looking and sounding Blu-ray disc that I own (I have about 20 movies and 6 live concerts on Blu-ray).
Finally, as other reviewers have already stated, the performance on this disc is incredible. I never got to see them live, so I don't know if this was commonplace for them, but they deliver a knockout performance here.

If, like me, you're a long time fan of RTF, but never got to see them live (or even if you did), this BD is a must have!
By the way, as someone else already pointed out, the bonus tracks are indeed inferior in quality and production, but as they are "bonus" tracks, I chose not to reduce the star rating for it in my review.
on October 24, 2009
For lovers of RTF and jazz/rock fusion this is the real deal !
For reference, my playback system is comprised of a 61" HD monitor, KEF 5.1 playback system with a Marantz SR6003 receiver, and blu-ray player.
This Blu-Ray disc shines when played back using the lossless uncompressed DTS HD Master audio option.
The bass is tight and deep and the instrument placement in the mix is "spot on" to the show I saw them do in NY last year.
The camera work is excellent and affords the viewer a great view of each player with great close-up view during their solo segments.
Also of note, the bonus tracks filmed on the US leg of this tour offer an interesting drum solo from Lenny White and "Duel of the Jester and the Tyrant" which is not included on the main program, is a a high speed musical gem.
Highly recommended for lovers of this musical genre !
on September 17, 2009
Run,do not walk to get this excellent concert.Like some of the other reviews said- killer video, killer sound and killer performances.Plenty of bottom end on Stan's electric bass and Lenny's bass drum to remove dental work (with a good sub of course)which is what I always missed on those first few early recordings.The acoustic set is to die for with all of Al's different guitars recorded and translated to just sparkle. This is also the most gorgeous upright bass sound I have ever heard recorded to date...
on January 12, 2010
The first thing that people said when they entered the room and this was playing: "It's sounds live". It does, yet never in a harsh way. Kudos to the engineers!

Many reviewers here describe the incredible talent and delivery of these 4 amazing musicians. Each one is a musical powerhouse in his own right. Together, they create a magical and very special performance. The precision and speed are amazing - yet it still has soul and beauty, especially the more accoustic pieces. The sense of humor embedded in the music is a joy as well. Lots of unexpected twists and breathtaking virtuosity. Suffice it to say that in terms of the material, the musicians, and the delivery, this DVD rocks!

The video quality puts you in the concert - stunning. I like that the editors did not try to fabricate excitement (as they do in too many rock concerts) with a million edits. They focus on where the main action is coming from and don't dart from one scene to another. This allows you to really follow the music like you would at the concert and relax into what the musicians are trying to impart. Picture is incredibly crisp for a concert especially - that's seems hard to accomplish in low light based on other concert DVD's I have.

Sound: The DTS HD takes advantage of a great recording. I have other Blurays that don't have great sound - so it seems that even if the media's great, it will still suffer if the original recording is not great. Here, the original recording must have been handled well; sound is live, dynamic, clear, crisp, yet nice and full and rich. I found that the bass was more clear when I turned the sub down a bit - for some reason, the sub level on DTS master audio seems higher than on SD. With that (and I have some accoustic room treatment that really helps with bass), the sound, from top to bottom, is one of the best, if not the best, of any DVD concert DVD I own (I own about 25 of the best concert DVD's I know of- they range in SQ from stellar to barely listenable).

The solos, and the sound quality of the solos, and the video quality are worth the price of admission alone.

If you're into actively listening to music, and you like this genre, buy this and don't look back! You'll love it forever! Highly highly recommended. It's in my top 5 concert DVD's of all time, and that's saying a lot - I'm into this stuff! This is one you'll want in your library...

Update: After listening to this over and over, I do agree with one reviewer who questioned the sound quality as it relates to the bass. I found that the electric bass does not have enough initial impact, clarity and slam. Again, turning the sub down helps, as the slam is better reproduced through the fronts than the sub in this case. The accoustic bass sounded like it was recorded better, and Stanley's Solo sounds almost perfect in reproduction. The issue is not significant enough though to rob the performance of its magic, and with a few adjustments, it's minimized. This is a performance that is still wonderful after dozens of listening sessions. Enjoy!
on April 24, 2010
What a Sonic performance these guys put on! I will say I had listened to it twice with my old dual subwoofer system and the sound was very decient. I replaced the dual subs (SPL-12's) with an Optimum 12 and now it's fantastitic. The BD in DTS-MA was breath taking sonicly and visualy this is one of the best I've seen. Chic's synthyzier drum solo was out-of-this-world fantastic! I had no problem hearing Lenny's drum's or kick drum's through out the recording and Stanley's bass playing was just plain awsome.
The Video and Video mix were also outstanding. It's very interisting to actually see how these artists make some of the sounds they do.
I remember way back when I had Records, I had at least 2 of their records and was very impressed at the music they played but lost track other than the individual artists having their own records. In my opinion they never sounded better than together as the RTF.
Test yourself and your system this is a must have BD recording on so many levels I don't have time to say, just GET IT!

I wish Amazon had a 3 criteria rating that would make for a quicker, more accurate and fair rating of Cd's, DVD's and Blu-ray's.

1. Performance
2. Quality of Audio
3. Quality of Video (for DVD's and Blu-ray's)

1.*****
2.*****
3.*****

Artists that wish to have there performances recorded and recognized should be held to a standard. Poor Audio or Video, no matter how good the performance, is still a bad product. Those who would still purchase sub-standard Audio or Video quality recordings and rank that product highly just because of performance are not doing the industry or the band justice. Demand better and we will get it, settle for less and that's what you'll get.
on December 10, 2012
The video and sound quality of this blu-ray is top notch. It is crystal clear, but still retains a warmth to it, unlike the DAT video that came out in the early 2000's that looked like soap opera video.

That being said, this is the best of the best. Fans of RTF or these guys as solo artists will eat this up. They play all their best stuff and the musicianship is unbelievable. It's borderline "I should just give up playing" and "These guys make me want to be a better player".

Stanley's Alembic tone is the BEST !!! Al's PRS / Mesa Boogie tone is insane ! Chick's Fender Rhodes tone is , well we all know Fender Rhodes is the best kb tone ever, and Lenny White is one of the best drummers out there. He makes it look effortless with his lack of pensive facial expressions, but we all know it's hard stuff to play ; it's RTF !

A MUST for and musician and/or jazz, jazz fusion fan ! This is as good as it gets.
33 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 7, 2009
RTF was burning down the college airwaves and auto cassette decks in 1977/78. Jazz Rock Fusion is what some folks called it. This music blew minds. Each of these guys were and are excellent musicians on their own with strings of credits as arrangers, producers, music composers and performers. Together they are a freaking force of nature. Romantic Warrior and the recent RTF Anthology will melt your face, they are so sonically and musically powerful. To see these guys together again (live) on stage and captured in HD for posterity is just great. The video and the audio are first rate. The only negative is the set list. Majestic Dance and some other great music, hits if you will, are missing and that is a shame. Check it out anyway. These guys were da bomb back in the day. Great Stuff, highly recommended.
on February 19, 2013
I bought this after listening to my first exposure of the band in their companion CD of this show.

The CD's just blew me away and I had to get the BR too!! Some of the best music I've ever heard. My wife does not enjoy my taste in music at all. But she can listen to this and not give me the look. LOL

I listen/watch this quite a bit.