5.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking
Published on November 4, 2003 by TheHighlander

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmmm...undecided.
Published on November 5, 2011 by J. Kelley

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought Provoking, November 4, 2003
TheHighlander (Richfield, PA United States) - See all my reviews
This book examines case histories of reincarnation but not normal reincarnation. Reincarnation within the same family. She interviews parents who are convinced that their child is a reincarnated family member. Why are they convinced? Birth marks on the child that coincide with scares or injuries of the deceased family member. Statements by the children at a young age that they were here before and so and so, whom they never knew. Statements that accurately reflect happenings before their birth that would be unkown to them or even a secret.
Statements on miscarraiges and changed thoughts about coming back. Talk about how parents are chosen. yes, this all sounds far out, it all sounds like science fiction. But the studies and the people described and their expereiences do tend to cause a person to think. If you believe in reincarnation this book will be a great read for you with more evidence that it does exist. If you are not sure what you believe you will find this book interesting. If you firmly do not believe you will not be impressed I'm sure.
It was an interesting book for me that presented many things to think on. It's a simple read and you can follow it easy. Chapters are broken down by cases and the author explains how they were brought to her attention, what she did to follow through and the information she was provided by the people involved. Not much guess work on her part that I see.
Bottom line, if it's your topic, it'll be enjoyable for you, if not, you might want to pass.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compelling experiences and mind-expanding ideas, April 28, 2001
Return From Heaven focuses on an exciting pattern in reincarnation. From well-documented cases, it appears that same-family returns are common. A young child may reveal memories and show behaviors that point to a previous incarnation in the same family - perhaps as a grandparent or even a recently deceased brother or sister. Carol Bowman explores this possibility through detailed case histories written with a warm and personal touch.
These are tremendously moving human interest stories. They reveal the emotional impact on a family experiencing a reincarnational drama, as well as the signs that link a new child to a previous identity. Bowman also includes an excellent overview of parents' experiences with pre-birth communication, evidence that dovetails with her research findings. Countless parents are hearing past-life memories from their young children. Carol Bowman does a tremendous service by showing us how to recognize and listen to these memories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Filled with Insight, August 26, 2004
This review is from: Return From Heaven: Beloved Relatives Reincarnated Within Your Family (Mass Market Paperback)
My husband died at Christmas 2003. My granddaughter was born April 2004. I have found so many similarities between them, I wanted to research this topic very carefully.

This book was very enlightening and very easy to understand. I know you will be as fasinated as I am. It made me remember several incidents and unexplained things that had happened to and with my other children.

If you have an open mind it is a very thoughtful read.

4.0 out of 5 stars "Heaven"-sent for reincarnation buffs, July 13, 2005
A great collection of compelling reincarnation cases. Engagingly told, versus the writings of the field's top expert, Dr. Ian Stevenson, which I find fascinating but a bit dry.

The majority of the book is story after story of top-notch reincarnation cases, with all the electrifying wonder of the revelations excitingly imparted with a great sense of buildup, detail and payoff.

The predominant focus is on children whose parents believe they are reincarnations of a deceased family member because of uncanny remarks, inexplicable recognition of certain people and places, and, most astoundingly, birthmarks that distinctly match up with fatal wounds. Bowman balances these riveting accounts with thoughtful insights into the purpose of reincarnation, gleaned from the between-both-worlds musings of the subjects themselves.

There are a couple of times when Bowman goes a little too much into her personal feelings, and that to me somewhat undermines her professional persona, but it may make the book more accessible to others, particularly those new to the concept.

Anyone interested in past-life phenomena must add this book to their collection.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmmm...undecided., November 5, 2011
J. Kelley (East Rockaway, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I have just finished reading 'Return From Heaven' and have to say first, that I REALLY wanted to like this book. I began my quest into the idea of reincarnation after being recently turned on to Ian Stevenson's work (the pioneer in this field) and was jazzed and excited at the seemingly legitimate possiblity that reincarnation is a naturally occuring phenomenon. Coming off his book, "Children Who Remember Past Lives" which is scientifically based and so very compelling, this book was a terrible let-down. In comparison to the work of Stevenson, I feel like I just bought a bottle of 'snake oil.'

In Bowman's defense, she openely admits that she has not set out to scrutinize empirical evidence or discern whether the cases she receives (that flood into her inbox) are legitimate. Instead, she states that her primary goal is helping families in these perceived situations cope and grow from their experiences. I suppose this is where the book's strengh as a counseling tool emerges and its merit as an insightful reincarnation book fails.

I understand that to date, American cases of reincarnation are comparitivley few when compared to cases in other countries, and that as such, there's a need for more American cases to emerge in order for the concept of reincarnation to become mainstreamed to the Western world. (Could it be the reason the book was published--to fill this void?) I also know that for some reason American children experiencing spontaneous recall of past lives tend NOT to recal many verifyable names (which often precludes a case from being proved as legitimate and not a projection of the families wishful thinking).
I know that these issues are beyond Bowman's control. However, I was hoping that the cases she presented went beyond, "My mother loved elephants and was mean and controlling and my daughter loves elephants and is also mean to me. She must be my mother reincarnated." REALLY??? Is that REALLY the best you've got? And I'm not exadgerating to make a point. That was essentially the extent of the evidence of one of her cases. While I agree that a parents belief in reincarnation does not necessarily disclude their evidence from legitimacy, I was truly expecting the cases to be stronger than the likes of this folderal.

Another issue I just can't seem to get past is that I read over and over again phrases like, "I wondered WHY this soul had come back to me/us/our family." Theres a great deal of conjecture on this topic. Am I the only one wondering why no one is asking the alleged reincarnated person this question??? It's not that much of a jump. I mean, the child is already having the memories and experiencing the belief in behavior that they are the former personality...would it really be a stretch to, I don't know, ask the person who just traveled across the GAP OF DEATH to be reborn to you, this very obvious question?
I know personally, that if my 2 year old daughter started claiming to be my granmother and I believed her, after a while I'd say something like, "HOLY COW grandma! This is AWESOME--what a miracle!! I've loved you and missed you for so long and now you're here again! How did it happen? Isn't it crazy that you're little and I'm big now? what a trip! Do you remember anything??? How did you get here and WHY did you chose to come to me and not go be with grandpa?, etc.

Both Bowman and her subjects seem to dance around this seemingly obvious topic and the omission leaves a gap in logic. Why all the wondering and conjecture? Just ask the reincarnated person. Moreover, why pose the question aloud without asking subject himself about the experience he's having in a new body? It leads one to believe something is deliberatly being avoided. Instead, I'm reading quotes from the mother whose now raising her baby granmother as she says things like, I just chuckled and thought, 'haha--that's granny for ya.' HU????? Are we both talking about the very insane possibility that grandma has just returned as your daughter and all you can say when she performs some antic is, 'HAHA that's granny, for ya?' Am I missing something, here?

And listen, I'm not an unreasonable person. I'm not knocking this book becuase I belive its a fraud and the stories are fake. I understand what Bowman is up against and what she's trying to do. I'm knocking it becuase I DO believe in the potential legitimicy of reincarnation and on some level I feel she's done the topic a disservice. However, I do believe she finds her presented cases credible (and in her defense, a couple of them are compelling).

In the end, for someone seeking truths about this controversial topic, it was a let-down to find that of all the American cases that have begun to pour in, she felt these were among the strongest becuase when viewed objectively, they are just not that strong.

And criticize me if you like, but there is that skeptical ethnocentric in me that secretly wants to see American (read: Judeo-Christian country not apt to endorse reincarnation) cases present even HALF as strongly as those in third world countries where reincarnation is a way of life.

What I'm trying to say is this: If you already beleive in reincarnation and are just looking for something to endorse your ideas, this is your book and makes for an interesting read. If you are a hopeful skeptic looking for some solid footing, stick with Ian Stevenson and his sucessor, Jim Tucker's work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Return From Heaven, April 4, 2001
P.A. Lawrence (Gilbert, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
This well-researched book contains unique cases of possible reincarnation. If you thought you had pat answers before, be prepared to shake your head and wonder, "What in the world is going on here?". I don't know how some of these things could be explained in any other way. One of those "can't put it down" books that will leave you convinced there truly are more things in this universe than we are aware of. Thoroughly researched, well-written, easy to read. An excellent book and a real mind-bender as well. What have your kids been saying??

5.0 out of 5 stars great truths in an accessible language, July 10, 2006
What I love about Ms. Bowman's books is their simplicity of language combined with powerful ideas, backed by convincing research.

There are many books on the market about reincarnation. Some are so esoteric, that you can spend years reading them and still not be sure what they mean, or how it applies to you. And some are just sensationalistic, regurgitation of same things over and over, or blunt advertisements by `psychics' hoping to give you a `reading'.

This book is different. It simply overflows with facts and anecdotes without being boring even for a moment. It gives hope without being wishful thinking. There are stories of children remembering how they were grandfathers/uncles/brothers etc. Children showing identifiable emotional and/or physical characteristics. Ms. Bowman extensively documents a specific case where a child had a severe physical deformation that was tracked to a past life (of his brother that died from cancer before he was born), and subsequently made better.

Another aspect of the book that I liked is the lack of judgement. It does not condemn or excuse questionable choices made by people (abuse, abortions, etc...) but just writes things as they are perceived from the soul's point of view. In one poignant chapter a mother is confronted by her child that is the soul of a baby she has aborted as a teenager. The simplicity with which the child understands that the mother felt she had no choice, and how he tells her that he went back to heaven to wait for her is truly touching. And it helps the mother overcome her sense of guilt.

In general this book is inspiring. Even its take on Karma is much more positive than the typical "you hurt me, you'll be hurt next time". It both helps to realise that people we've lost are often right around us, and that children are much more purposeful in being born in specific families than conventional wisdom would lead us to believe.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Much Needed Refreshment, April 8, 2001
Kelly (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Return From Heaven, has the same unique, heart warming and soul touching cases that Carol Bowman so brilliantly shared in her first book on the subject of children's remembrance - `Children's Past Lives'.
Like it's predecessor, each page of this book flows through so naturally, you'll find it impossible to put down until you've read every last line, and even after closing it's covers - you are left with a thousand questions and memories to ponder over, in sight of all the information and evidence it presents within it's pages.
The chapters and topics cover everything from role switching in families, pre-birth and announcing dreams, u-turns in the womb, second chances, soul weaving and even the delicate topic of abortion. This book is truly a gem in it's field and is a must have read for anyone interested in the field of past life research.
I'm sure this book will open a lot of peoples eyes to the possibilities of their children's "imaginative ramblings and stories". A great addition to anyones bookshelf.

5.0 out of 5 stars Real Experiences, Real Answers., April 28, 2001
Amazing...this book packs so much information between its covers and is written in everyday language for anyone to understand. Carol Bowman brings the "unexplainable and incredulous" down to earth and shows us that ideas like reincarnation are NOT as "farfetched" as one might have believed! She shows us the truth that children speak and through the use of many examples shows how we as parents can honor that honesty in our children. Carol reinforces her findings with solid scientific research findings by Ian Stevenson.. one of the most meticulous and accurate researchers there are today. Most of all, the stories and information she shares brings hope and comfort to anyone who has ever questioned the meaning of our ties with our family and life in general. She shows us that Love, whether for a mate or a family member, never ends...it continues to weave through the generations creating a tapestry that connects us for eternity.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fast, compelling read that ends too soon!, May 3, 2001
Carol Bowman has done it again. She's written a book that is so easy to ready and so fascinating you can't put it down. I finished the book way too fast and will reread it over and over again. I've believed in reincarnation since I was a very small girl and my extensive reading on the subject has convinced me that most of the people in our lives have reincarnated with us over and over again. This book helps us realize that death is not the end but the beginning and that our separations from our deceased loved ones are brief... I can't wait for Carol's next book!

Return From Heaven: Beloved Relatives Reincarnated Within Your Family
Return From Heaven: Beloved Relatives Reincarnated Within Your Family by Carol Bowman (Mass Market Paperback - April 29, 2003)
$7.99 $7.19