Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Black Friday egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Shop Now DOTD

on October 12, 2005
This book, and the words written within are unlike any stories you would find in the average surf magazine. Its nice to see an alternative for those who would rather read a great book and not a magazine full of ads.

The author uses a unique and descriptive style to take you into his adventures, as if he was telling you the story over a few beers at a bar, with colorful sarcasm and humour. You feel drawn in and itching to read the next chapter to see what hilarity, mishaps and strange charcacters the author will meet in the next journey.

Highly recomended.
on November 9, 2006
Return By Water is an engaging, humourous collection of stories that explore not only the adventures of surfing, but the world of fearless travel. The author has a wonderfully insouciant voice, vividly describing characters and settings that range from the wilds of Ecuador to the more pedestrian ( or so one would think!) Outer Banks of North Carolina.

Some of my personal favorites were 'El Brazo', a lovely tale about a little Ecuadorean boy living on the ranch/'hotel' where the main character stays while checking out the surf scene. He is rewarded with the protagonist's surf board at the conclusion of the story, but not without heretofore unforseen complications. 'Bachong and the Bemo' describes with a wonderfully fresh perspective the thoughts of an American abroad in Java during the events of 9/11.

Overall, these stories flow wonderfully from one to the next, and were a joy to read. I was throughly delighted with the book, and give this collection my highest recommendation. I sense this is the first of many books from this author.
on November 27, 2007
This book of short stories was great. Though I have just started surfing, I was a little skeptical when someone gave me "Return By Water" as a gift. In fact, while the stories all involved surfing in some form, they were more about life and were completely relatable to surfers as well non-surfers, such as myself. If anything, the second story in the book, "El Brazo" was one of the best stories I've ever demonstrated extreme humanity and selflessness within unfortunate circumstances. I'm giving this book to some of my friends as Christmas gifts. I highly recommend it!
on March 8, 2007
I really enjoyed this book, it is filled with a lot of short stories that take place all over the world. As a surfer, many of the places are easy to recognize and the author writes in the fashion that is easy to visualize yourself there. I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to everyone - surfer and non - surfer.
on June 20, 2012
I'm not sure if the book isn't good or if it just wasn't what I was looking for at that moment. Anyway, if your looking for a book that captures or scratches into the surfers soul, wave spirit or that kind of topics, this book is not what you're looking for. Hope this helps.
on October 18, 2013
Kimball Taylor's clean, congenial prose and lucid imagery have a strangely hallucinatory effect: line by line, these stories of surfing adventures in the world's most exotic places give the deceptive impression of placid waters, but just below the sprakling surface, monstrous danger lurks. Sudden riptides often drag the reader, along with Taylor's shaggy protagonists, into deep waters.

Most of the stories are true slices of life from Java, Baja, South America, Tahiti and other earthly paradises, and Taylor's ability to capture the atmosphere of these far-flung locales is worth the price of admission. His stories tend to start like slowly swelling waves, reach a furious middle of strange encounters and confusion and then crash into foam, leaving the reader wanting to ride another wave, read another story. Though the adventures sometimes lack shape as stories, the exotic atmosphere is always diverting, and the crispness of Taylor's imagery keeps things light even when the subject matter turns dark. A highly recommended journey into surfing's Endless Summer!
on December 21, 2007
Kimball Taylor writes with succinct clarity, beguiling empathy and a crazed, matter of fact humor that will delight most anyone who loves a story. He travels the world, knows it's oceans and understands that getting to the water and meeting the people along the way is essential to the joy of surfing.

Driving desperately through the South African outback to legendary waves - somewhere, he writes, "In a daze of passing kilometers, I begin to suspect the positioning of the potholes is not senseless, does not exist in chaos, but that each communicates in a kind of morse code. And I believe I know what they were saying. They read, dot, dot, "Get off the f*@#ing road before you die here."

Any adventurous surfer has been there, the rest of us wish that we had. Return By Water is a terrific book and will have to suffice until Kimball's next one.
on March 21, 2011
I go to school in the desert, and while the sunsets are nice, my god I miss a good right! This book has a bunch of short stories perfectly designed to transport you from wherever you are doing nothing to wherever you wish you were doing nothing. After each chapter I got on the internet and started researching a boat trip or a surfari. 'El Brazo' was my favorite story. It's rad to read about the connections made on an epic trip, because let's face it, you can cross an ocean and still find it flat. This book gave me a better appreciation of my current situation and will definitely help me make the most of my next trip.
on August 14, 2014
After reading the reviews before I read it, I was thinking the most appealing thing about it was going to be the cultural aspect and that it was a surf book that wasn't just about surfing. Even though I really enjoyed the cutlural discoveries and the character development of all the people he met, I surprisingly found myself super fascinated by the stories that had lots of details about surfing and the uniqueness of waves and breaks in the different places he traveled to and explored. Very enjoyable read that I could tell Kimball Taylor put his all into and his passion and dedication definitely came through.
on June 25, 2013
Return by water portrays a more raw, earthier, and a more unconventional approach to narrating tales of the sea. Like the ocean itself, Taylor's story unfold in unpredictable ways.... keeping you present the with the highly detail depictions of each vignette. Don't expect something whimsical, it is salty and edgy, revealing culture, humanity and some history throughout the voyages. It is definitely a safe way to travel and adventure off into dangerous, not so traveled places from the comfort of your living room or bed.