Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Reunion Hill
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Drowners Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on January 20, 2000
I know many of Richard Shindell's fans think the world of this recording, but it just has never quite hit the bulls eye like Sparrows Point and Blue Divide did. The song, The Next Best Western is probably my favorite song on the album. I would probably recommend this album, but it should be the third one of his to pick up. The first should be Sparrow's Point followed closely behind by Blue Divide.
on May 26, 2000
I liked his first two CDS, but I absolutely LOVE "Reunion Hill." Richard sings with such passion, and his songs are so sincere. He amazes me because he can write from so many different perspectives, from a fugitive in "May," to a woman who lost her husband in a war in "Reunion Hill." "I saw my youth today" makes me cry every time I hear it...he is amazing. I would definitely recommend this CD to anyone who enjoys folk music.
on April 19, 2000
This one has become one of those CD's that I must return to every few months. The stories and the way Richard delivers them are compelling. There are only a few tracks that aren't on my favorite list. "Darkness, Darkness" is well done, but Jesse Colin Young (or even Mott the Hoople!) had this one nailed long ago. Richard is best when dealing with characters of his own making. I have listened to little of Richard beyond this CD, so I can't compare it to his other work. However, I believe it stands on it's own as a very fine record, indeed. Larry Campbell's work here is especially appreciated.
on March 27, 1999
The wonderful mystique of Shindell is his desire to simply tell a story and count on his listeners to make the moral decisions. Often, he tells the story from the perspective of a character who we aren't supposed to trust, and sometimes that character is Shindell. In "Next Best Western" we get the story of a man who does not even want to trust himself. He wants faith so badly, but the closest he can come to realizing faith is to trust that he will make it safely to the next hotel. In "May" we get the the story of a fugitive, from the unique perspective of his wife and the limited information taken from rushed phone calls. These are stories that you will remember for the rest of your life. They will change you without attacking you. Richard Shinell's gorgeous guitar playing and bright, substantial voice will bring you back for more.
on September 22, 2013
Every song is a winner, this album, along with "Sparrows Point" and "Somewhere Near Patterson" are classics, full of carefully crafted songs that will never leave you head, even years later. Catch Richard Shindell live if you can, he gives great low-key perforance...
on January 5, 1999
I came to Richard Shindell through his previous album, Blue Divide. This one has somehow less lustre; the lyrics less intriguing, less double-edged, perhaps. Nowhere do we have the rich allegory of The Fisherman or the multilayered metaphor of Blue Divide. The songs are still good, though, and still mark him out as a thoughtful, intelligent songwriter whose work is miles better than most of what is out there. Sad, then, that the same couldn't be said for the arrangements. Gone is the crisp, lyrically rhythmic semi-accoustic folk-rock of Blue Divide; what we have instead is whining steel guitars moving him much closer to the territory of Country Music. Mr Shindell - don't go there! At the end of the day, however, don't be put off by these criticisms. This is still a good album by a talented guy which is good for repeated listening and will grace the CD collection of anyone with taste. Also Don Williams fans. (Kidding).
on August 7, 2003
I heard Richard Shindell on my local NPR station and instantly enjoyed him. His music is both relaxing and thought provoking at the same time. Highly recommended.
on August 13, 2004
The songs are well written and the production has more of a country feel than some of his other CDs. Richard Shindell is a masterful lyricist and the cuts on this CD provide some fine examples of his workmanship (i.e. "He who made the lamb, put the tremble in the hand that reaches out to take my quarter.") The recording has some issues with various pops and thumps in most of the tracks, and I only gave it three stars because of the recording quality.
on September 20, 1998
This is a must buy for anyone who's into acoustic/folk performers such as John Gorka, Catie Curtis, Dar Williams or Cliff Eberhart. This is as well crafted a release as any I've heard in years. Shindell's spectacular voice combined with his tremendous lyrics make for one of the best folk/rock disc I've ever heard.
on July 31, 1998
Richard Shindell is a master storyteller. And that voice! I was introduced to his music at a Dar Williams concert - he was her opening act. If you like folk music, or if you like country music, this is a must-buy!