Revelation
Format: Audio CDChange

Format: Audio CD
I won't go into the over the top review like some younger fans might do (which is plenty alright with me) but being closer to Neil Schon's age then Chris Daughtry's age it wouldn't come out right :)

I've been waiting for way to long for Journey to come out with an effort worthy of me sitting down and writing this review. Generations was ok, Arrival was nice but Revelation brings me back to when I was 18, in love with my high school sweetheart and attending every when Journey show played in my area. I go way back to pre-Steve Perry days. It has never been cool, maybe until now, to be a Journey fan. Back in my day you had to be a metal fan or you were a loser. The thing that always drew me to Journey was the phenomenal abilities of all of their musicians and the voice. The strong melodies, the rockers and the ballads. Really the whole package. A Journey album to me was always like reading a #1 Best Selling Novel. You just can't put it down or turn it off.

I say the voice because it is as much an instrument as the rest. Journey would not be Journey without a classic tenor at the helm. For me the 'voice' was always Steve Perry, he is simply the best voice I've ever heard in Rock and Roll.

With that being said, Arnel Pineda has taken the stage with the other members of our supergroup and simply amazed me. Neil describes him as a soulful singer. I really think that is the best description of him. Thank you Arnel for bring back 'the voice'!

If you're a Journey fan at all, you know what I mean when I say, you put the CD in the player, sit back and smile. When Journey puts out a new CD all is right in my world. This one is so highly recommended by me that there isnt' a number high enough to give it. Just buy it and you'll see what I mean.
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Audio CD
Start to finish this is the best Journey album since Frontiers.

Trial By Fire was more Raised on Radio, i.e. Steve Perry trying to prove he is the only reason Journey still exists. Arrival was way too ballad heavy, Red 13 was...forgettable and Generations was all over the map, nothing cohesive. I have been a 'Jrnyfan' since I was old enough to remember music, I used to listen to Escape with my dad on vacations in our old T'bird. I have been waiting for my favorite band to recapture their magic since the last notes of 'Rubicon' (Frontiers) faded out and this is it!

Arnel Pineda does a Steve Perry impression that is good enough to pacify me on the old songs and absolutely has the pipes to blow my mind on the new stuff! He shows respect for his predecessors and then cranks it up a notch and proudly displays his range and power in the new songs. Deen drives this album along like I have been waiting for him to do since he joined. Neal...Neal is god, that's all you can say. Jonathan sparkles with melodies and rhythms and musical wizardry that is so very rare these days. Then there is Ross..like the rock he is, he is just strummin' away with that big S-eating grin he always has and you can hear that smile all through out...he knows how good this is!

The re-makes of the originals were done, IMO, so they could license their music themselves and not have to have Sony/Steve Perry sign off every single time someone wants to license it. That being said, its still a pleasure to hear them re-done with just a little twist and a delicious twist it is.

Journey always has been and always will be, IMO, the best band in the history of music. They have lost their luster over the past few years and I was weary to hear the same mantra coming from Neal and Jonathan before I had a chance to listen to this album: 'this will blow you away...amazing...best yet.' Well...they did it.

This Album will take its place in AOR history and should be held up by us Journey fans as, like the phoenix reborn, the re-awakening of the greatest rock band ever.

Journey On!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 7, 2008
Format: Audio CD
The original Asia returned with Phoenix, Rambo and Indiana Jones returned to the big screen, Judas Priest is releasing another album with Rob Halford and now Journey is back. 2008 is definitely shaping up to be a remember the 80's year and that is fine with me.

Revelation is an excellent CD and super return for one of the greatest bands of all times. Sure the band has changed a lot since their 80's golden era, but they sound like they haven't lost a beat with this new release.

This CD is a perfect follow up to Frontiers (their last true excellent album in my opinion). Journey did show moments of brilliance over the years, but most of their post Frontiers stuff has been inconsistent. Raised on Radio was good, but showed a band unraveling. Trial By Fire had some good songs, but was bloated and boring in many spots. I felt Arrival was the best Journey album since Frontiers until now. Steve Augeri won me over on that album. Red13 was okay and Generations (with a few exceptions) was another bloated release.

I was sorry to see Steve Augeri go, but Arnel Pineda totally rocks. Songs like Never Walk Away, After All These Years and Wildest Dreams rank up there with the best of Journey. The re-recordings are well done and the concert DVD shows the band with renewed confidence and energy.

Thank you for continuing the Journey and here's to many more years.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: Audio CD
First, let me state that this return to form will put Journey back on the map in a big way. And I might add, Arnel Pineda will become a superstar. There is already such a buzz about the band from their concerts in Chile and Las Vegas. Both shows illustrated the vocal strength of Pineda and a fired-up Neal Schon who seems to be as important to this resurgance as Pineda. And rather than make an album of warmed over sound-alikes, Revelation is a fresh, yet familar bunch of songs with the musical muscle to work their way onto today's AC playlists and quite possibly into the top 40. Simply put, people have missed this band. The Steve Augeri version of the band soldiered on, but did little to connect with older listeners who missed Steve Perry. Augeri may have sung well, but he just didn't sound like Perry. In reality, drummer Deen Castronovo did a better job emmulating Perry than Augeri. And with Augeri quitting due to health problems, the door opened up, yet again for a new vocalist. Honestly, most bands would have called it a career. Steve Perry remains a recluse, and according to some internet postings from old promoters and producers, a very difficult recluse to deal with. Perry's voice has also lost some of it's range, which in no way is an indictment of Perry, but a fact of nature. However, there are exceptions to that. Steve Walsh of Kansas can still sing Carry On My Wayward Son with all the range he's ever had with added growl. But for the most part, singers of this genre can't do what they once did. Peter Cetera no longer sings in the higher octave of his old songs when in concert. And his replacement, Jason Scheff has already begun to have some difficulty handling the old Chicago catalogue. So Schon's you-tube find is more extraordinary in scope when considering how close Pineda is to Perry. Journey's recent appearance on Ellen had shots of the audience looking on, many with their mouths hung open in stunned disbelief. The more I hear Arnel, the more I appreciate his minimalist Perry imitation and his ability to mimmick different Jouney eras. For instance, Pineda purposely sings in a slightly more immature Perry for Lights and Wheel In The Sky. He then adds some bottom end to Be Good To Yourself and Only The Young. By the way, these hits are available in the Revelation Wal-Mart triple disc package including the new album, the hits, and a concert DVD from their recent Vegas concert.

The new material in this collection will not dissapoint the Journey afficianado or novice looking for some retro cool. Never Walk Away is a distant cousin to Be Good To Yourself with more Neal and less Ross. But it works on every level. Pineda closes the deal on the chorus and instantly takes you somewhere between Frontiers and Raised on Radio. Change For The Better showcases a revitalized Neal Schon with spiritual subject matter that shows a more middle aged approach to songwriting. The change in focus is nice for someone like myself who is tired of the ragged themes that uglify our current crop of so-called pop superstars. Better would work on any rock station willing to chance the old boys. It will be interesting to see if Journey can make in roads where bands of their age have no business being. The Eagles did some chart damage, but were mostly hustled to AC and country. This album has the potential to unite kids with their parents. But my guess is that top 40 programmers will laugh when the promo singles arrive. It's sad, stupid and depressing. But the good news is you can have the whole thing for $11.88 at Wal-Mart. After All These Years is another song that will likely be played at weddings, reunions and the like. The lyrics drip with the syrapy sentimentalism that departed from rock years ago. Like a Sunshower has a Lights-like intro and melody. Fresh and familiar and loaded with great hooks. Wildest Dream is a nod to producer Kevin Shirley who combines the old with the new to make something truly unique. Faith In The Heartland is a re-recorded gem from Journey's last outing Generations. Pineda's vocal gives the song more authenticity and brings home the message of heartland values. Schon's work here bobs and weaves between historical Journey and his solo work. Where Did I Lose Your Love is a semi-ballad with a killer hook that could easily be an outtake from Frontiers with fantastic backing vocals and Pineda's confident lead. Oh, and check out the Neil solo, nice. What I Needed is another power ballad undergirded with a some fantastic moody guitar and keys. Jonathan Cain also seems reinvigorated by Pineda's dead-on delivery and all the players are more comfortable writing things that are harder to play and sing. Schon carves his solo like a surgeon with a new laser beam. Turn Down The World Tonight has Jon Cain tickling the ivorys underneath a warm Pineda delivery that will bring you closer to the Journey heyday than the actual years themselves. Finally, Neil goes solo on Revelation (The Journey) an instrumental containing all of what Mr. Schon is about. Texture, melody, almost an ethereal spirit that flows from Neil's guitar. This is a fitting conclusion to this collection. Journey at full tilt. Each song is potentially a hit. Even amidst the current crop of pop star wannabes this album rocks. This collection could revive interest in older bands and melodic rock. Journey has found new life and new purpose thanks to Arnel Pineda. His addition to the band is more than just a revelation, it's a ressurrection.
Format: Audio CD
Journey 2008, this is what we have been waiting for and im not taking anything away from the steve,s but Arndel has rejuvinated this entire band.
The covers cd is great gives you chills,but the new material is awsome best in years an arndel shows us his own voice this guy is no mimick he is a truely amazing singer with his own style.i dont blame mr schon and company for grabbing this guy.
To me the future of Journey looks the best it has for years,this could be the melodic hard rock album of the years from the masters of that style.
by the way neal,johnathon,ross and dean are playing in top form here,Neal is the most underatted guitar player in the music scene,its time he got the attention he deserves and im sure he will.
bottom line,just buy it and enjoy cause at the end of the day you cant beat top class music,and thats who won here music.
on June 7, 2008
Format: Audio CD
I'm so psyched about this new CD! Arnel Pineda is amazing. How can you not love this guy - with his story, he's the guy you love to root for. If you haven't seen it, go to YouTube and search for "Arnel Pineda Journey" then choose the CBS Sunday Morning interview. This is a guy who deserves everything he's achieved. If you are a fan of Journey and Steve Perry, do yourself a favor and buy this set! The new stuff is fabulous - almost like listening to some previously undiscovered Journey. Pineda does a great job of paying tribute to Steve Perry and all he brought to Journey. Can't wait to see them live in the summer! Welcome back Neal, Jonathan, Ross and Deen - and welcome aboard Arnel! You've got a new fan!
TOP 100 REVIEWERon June 4, 2008
Format: Audio CD
This set is Journey's first platinum album after so many years.

I was in my college days when "Open Arms" constantly plays on the air. Man,that was almost 30 years ago. With this new set and all the things happening with the band, it feels like they are in your face again.
Each of the new song in this collection is greatest hits material (Well, the instrumental will always be debatable). "Revelation" marks a rebirth for the band. It has a been so many years since Journey has come out with a great CD. This one worth the time we waited. The band is in great shape. Their newly found chemistry is clearly reflected on this new work. The new singer was discovered on YouTube, but what people don't know is that he has been in the business for 25 years. He gave veterans Jon & Neal the goosebumps the very first time they heard him sing on his audition, that's impressive enough for me.
The new material shows you what the future for Journey, which looks really great. Arnel brings a new direction, a new voice and a new style. But also don't forget, he can sing the classics naturally like he breathes it.
For a start, this brand new CD/DVD sells at $11.88 cent at Walmart.
11 new songs, 11 re-recorded classics and concert DVD. Lyrics insert included. Talk about value for your money.

There are 3 discs in this package. With how much it is priced at Walmart, it is almost 25 cents per song. People who download illegally will feel RIPPED OFF. Even if you purchase songs from iTunes, you are paying about a dollar per song and you are getting the lossy version. With this package, you get the original CD's, DVD, lyrics and all the artworks.

1. Never Walk Away - will starts you rockin' and rollin', tapping your feet on the floor.
2. Like A Sunshower - is a power ballad, a great make-up song. Wonderful intro.
3. Change For the Better - you thought you are going country, but it gets better. Heavy and tight with nice drums from Dean.
4. Wildest Dream - Great concert song. One of those numbers that will surely put the audience to their feet and go uninhibitively insane
5. Faith in the Heartland - very catchy. Actually this one is a remake from the Steve Augeri's era. An updated version with a new twist.
6. After All These Years - will be a lasting classic, haunting melody. This song is dedicated to all fans that supported the band throughout the years. It will surely be a lovers theme for many for many years to come. Great annniversary song too.
7. Where Did I Lose Your Love - This one is a Monster!!! Play and drive and feel your adrenaline pumping. Again this explains why Neal Schon has established himself as one of the guitar gods.
8. What I Needed - The deepest and the most passionate number by the new singer. Soulful and emotional with powerful soaring vocals.
9. What It Takes To Win - song on steroids. Perfect tune for any kind of sports. Superbowl next?
10. Turn Down the World Tonight - just smooth, fine and elegant as an old wine.
11. The Journey (Revelation) - psychedelic instrumental that titillates the farthest corners of your brain.

All in all, a perfect blend of power ballads and rockers.

Production is by the legendary Kevin Shirley who described the "Revelation" experience as just like back in the 80's when the band was in their creative prime. Sonic quality will bring justice to your expensive toys.

Yes, there is a Cinderella story behind the hiring of the new singer. But that is another story. Seen the movie "Rockstar"

- from Billboard Chart, they reached:
No. 1 - Top Independent Albums (for 10+ weeks)
No. 2 - Top Internet Albums
No. 5 - Top 200 Albums
No. 9 - Hot Adult Contemporary Tracks for "After All These Years"

Also check recent reviews from The New York Times, MelodicRock & Rock Eyez.
Format: Audio CD
I am going to be short, sweet and simple here (or as much as I can be anyway).....

This package has two full CD's of music and a concert on DVD. For the price I haven't seen this much value for the price in anything with music in quite a while.....

The new CD is driving....good music, has a classic feel, an arrival feel, I didn't listen to generations much so I can't really comment there....

The original music is a great repackage....a bit more modern technology and effects, but the true song is still there. The voice...WOW, God Bless Youtube....I drive less than 5 minutes to work each day. I have had the CD since the morning of release and unfortunately I haven't had a chance to hear everything while driving yet, but the anticipation is a nice thing here....

The DVD concert, I watched it 4 times the first day while writing my current book. It was driving, good production, good audio, etc...I was amazed at how well the drummer (Deen) could sing Mother Father from Escape....I guess the best compliment I can pay the DVD is to say I have gotten into some writing groove's on my books when watching the Escape Tour and the Augeri era concert DVD as well. Four times watching this the first day, It was great background sound to fuel some serious writing....

I can't wait for Journey, Cheap Trick and Heart in Dallas this summer.

My suggestion is to buy this if you have even a small like for Journey and for the value I don't see how you can go wrong. As a Journey hardcore fan for 25 years now, I would have paid three times the price for this and still thought it a great package for that amount....
Format: Audio CD
Journey's released their newest album "Revelation" with new lead singer Arnel Pineda. I was blown away when I heard this guy sing. People need to stop whining about Steve Perry, he hasn't been in the band for about a decade get over it. Revelation contains two cds and a concert dvd. The first cd is mostly new material with one rerecording from "Generations". Which also features a couple of ballads, and solid rockers that should be on the radio like "After All These Years". This is honestly Journey's best album since "Raised on Radio", and it is good enough to be as successful as some of their 80's albums. The second cd contains 11 rerecordings of some of Journey's hits. I don't look at it as a replacement for the Steve Perry hits disc, but as a way for Arnel to get more familiar with Journey's older material, since he will have to perform it live. So to me it's just a fun extra. Now, the dvd. It's a hour show from a Vegas concert back in March, it contains a couple of songs from the new album as well as many of the old favorites. So all in all a great release from Journey. Where else are you gonna get this much value for your buck? Welcome Arnel! Can't what for the Indy concert with Heart and Cheap Trick.
on June 6, 2008
Format: Audio CD
Journey's new album 'Revelation' came out yesterday through Wal-Mart, and of course, I had to get right on it. The first thing I'll point out is, it's 3 discs. Disc 1 is new material they have recorded with their new lead singer, Arnel Pineda. Disc 2 is newly recorded versions of Journey's old warhorses ("Stone in Love", "Be Good to Yourself", "Anyway You Want It", "Open Arms", "Faithfully", "Don't Stop Believin". etc.). Disc 3 is a DVD of a live show from Planet Hollywood in Vegas, recorded earlier this year. I was hoping, since this was 3 discs, the price would be around $20, maybe not much more. The Eagles released their last album exclusively through Wal-Mart, and it was a 2 disc package, which they managed to keep at $11.88. Def Leppard's new CD was $12.88, although it was not issued exclusively through Wal-Mart, so I didn't think it would be at all impossible for the new Journey 3 disc package to be $18 or $19. I got to Wal-Mart and saw the price was $11.88, and I was shocked. So before I even begin to opine on this album, if you like Journey's old stuff at all, even just a little bit, it's hard for me to not recommend that you buy 'Revelation', since it's 2 CDs and 1 DVD for just $11.88. That's an incredible price, and that's why more and more artists are starting to issue stuff exclusively through one retailer. For an older band like Journey, (and maybe even for some younger bands) if you can put 3 discs in a 30 or 40 or 50 year old fan's hand for the same price (or less) than over 90% of all the other single-disc releases, that's a no-brainer. Now, on to the actual content of this wonderfully priced packaged.

Disc 2 (10 songs) is the one I was most anxious to hear, because that's the one with the rerecorded versions of 10 of their greatest hits. I'm happy to report that Journey's musicians (guitarist Neal Schon, keyboardist Jonathan Cain, bassist Ross Valory, and drummer Deen Castronovo) haven't made any sweeping, radical changes to any of your favorite Journey tunes. Musically they sound pretty much the same. In some cases, they sound a little better. Lots of new technology makes the sound much sharper and clearer. They drop in an occassional extra riff or beat or effect than what you're used to hearing every now and then, but for the most part, there's no real musical change. As for new lead singer Arnel Pineda, he does an excellent job. In most cases, the average listener isn't going to have a clue they're hearing somebody other than Steve Perry singing these songs. That being said, Pineda doesn't sing the hits EXACTLY like Perry. He's got a little different sound, and a little bit of an accent (he's Phillipino) in some places, but he hits most of the same notes as Perry hit in the studio, the exceptions being the runs/vamps at the end of "Faithfully" and "Be Good to Yourself". Otherwise, I think Pineda does an outstanding job. I also think it was a good idea to rerecord these tracks with Pineda on lead vocal, because Journey makes their money these days on live shows. If casual fans hear that Steve Perry isn't singing lead for Journey, they're more inclined to not want to go see them in concert (which I think is absolutely stupid). But in this package, Journey supplies proof that the new guy souds close enough to the old guy that everyone's favorites are gonna be played, and they'll sound just as good.

Disc 1 (10 songs) is the new material, and it's okay. Just like their last album 'Generations', it's hit or miss with me. Actually, there were more songs from 'Generations' I liked after two listens than there are from the new material on 'Revelation'. Two tracks are getting played right now at adult contemporary stations, "Never Walk Away" and "After All These Years". "Never Walk Away", written by Schon & Cain, is the best or second-best track on the album. It's nothing new or fancy. Just a straight-ahead pop-rock song, that most closely resembles "Be Good To Yourself". (NOTE: It also closely resembles the music from Journey's 2001 album 'Arrival', which is one of their greatest albums ever.) The other song getting played on adult contemporary radio, "After All These Years" is the third in a trilogy of sap. First there was "Open Arms", then came "Faithfully", and now there's "After All These Years". I hate "Open Arms". Can't stand it. "Faithfully" I like a little better. "After All These Years" is tolerable to me, and it's been a top 5 requested song on that crazy woman Delilah's show for a few weeks now, but it's a classic Jonathan Cain ballad, and it's a little too draggy for me. It isn't bad, I just prefer more tempo, more rock, more roll, and less love.

Another song on this disc is "Faith in the Heartland", which is the track I think is the best or second-best track on the album, along with "Never Walk Away". The odd thing is, "Faith in the Heartland" was also on Journey's last album 'Generations'. I don't know why they put it on this album, and rerecorded it again with Pineda (the song was written by Schon, Cain, and Steve Augeri, the former lead singer for Journey, who sang lead vocal on the original version), but it still works on this album. It's an excellent song, and it serves as a reminder that Journey hasn't forgotten the kind of people who buy their music.

After these before-mentioned three songs, most everything else on Disc 1 is Schon and Cain collaborations, or solo compositions by each of them, and they're okay at best. The more uptempo numbers sound a little too choppy and disjointed, and the other Cain slow-jam, "Turn Down the World Tonight" is well-written, there's just too much romance going on for me. The last song on the disc is a Schon instrumental called "The Journey" and it's awesome.

Lastly, there's the DVD. Consider for a moment that, a year ago today, there was a Phillipino guy down-on-his-luck, singing in a covers band in the bars of Manilla. One year later, he's the lead singer for one of the most successful American rock n roll groups of all time. Anything really is possible. People who don't have hopes, and dreams, and faith........man, I don't see why they even get out of bed in the mornings. I don't know what prevents them from killing themselves. Seriously, I don't. Neal Schon was surfing YouTube, looking for a new lead singer for Journey, he came across video of Arnel Pineda singing some Journey songs in a bar, and a few emails later, Pineda is on his way to the US to meet Journey. Bada-bing, bada-boom. They close the deal, name Pineda their new lead singer, and after rehearsing for a while, they book a show at Planet Hollywood in Vegas. This is an hour-long DVD, with Pineda singing a lot of the old hits and a few from the new album. Is he just like Steve Perry? No. Is he good? Yes. This DVD is really interesting, because during this show, Pineda is really trying to feel his way around the stage, and around the other band members. In some parts, it looks like he's trying too hard, but in others, he looks really comfortable. He's extremely energetic, which seems to often amuse Schon and Valory while on stage. In some spots, he loses his breath and misses some words, but that's probably from trying to work the crowd too much. Once he finds his comfort level on the stage, little things like that won't happen. And again, he really does nail the vocal like Steve Perry (and if you think Perry always hit those high notes in concert like he did in the studio, you need to listen to some Perry-era live Journey albums).