Revelations
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:$9.60+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on September 5, 2006
At first listen, Revelations might sound a bit weird, and a bit funky. I know it did to me. Alot of other people I've talked with felt the same way. But trust me, the more you listen to Revelations the more you will like it. It is tremendously addicting. I havn't been addicted to a album like this for quite awhile. Suffice to say, Revelations is a remarkable album in all aspects. Audioslave continue to refine their sound and create wonderful music. This time around they have incorporated alot of funk, & rythym and blues into the album. Bottom line to me, if you liked the first two slave albums, there is no reason in the world that you shouldn't like this one.

A interesting note about this album is how it was recorded. The band went directly from touring to the studio to record it. There was no lull or lapse of time inbetween like there was inbetween the first two albums. The band wanted to establish a continual cycle of touring, recording, touring. They even recorded some somes out on the road and played them. I know Wide Awake, and Sound of a Gun were played at some of the later shows. They toured for quite awhile and then officialy went into the studio to record the whole album. I think this is a really good idea, as they had alot of fresh and exciting ideas that they wanted to experiment with. The quality of "Revelations" speaks volumes as to how effective this process was for Audioslave.

The thing I noticed with this album is that the chemistry between the band just keeps getting better and better. Remember, Brad, Tom, and Tim have been playing together for over 14 years. The first RATM album came out back in 1992. With Audioslave, and Chris, they are really gelling as a band, & they have even mentioned that in different interviews. Technically, I find Revelations to be one of the stronger albums that Audioslave has done. I'm not going to say its better than the other two, because I hold those albums up very high, but Revelations is no doubt their equal on many levels, dare I say stronger in some areas. I love the song structures on this album, they seem to be more complex and interesting. For instance, at the start of Sound of a Gun (which is a continuation of Drown Me Slowly btw) it almost sounds like it might be a softer, slower song. But then it kicks in and is a really fast, uptempto track. This adds alot of depth to the album, and helps keep it from getting old. You find new things to appreciate each time you listen to it.

Already, Revelations contains some of my favorite Audioslave songs. Revelations contains alot of funky and groovy tracks, stuff that you can bob along too. It works surprisingly well. Tom had previously described the album as, "Earth Wind and Fire meets Led Zepplin." After actually hearing the album, that desription is accurate, and it sounds amazing. Its not a drasticly different sound as you might think it would have to be, but it is new and exciting in many ways.

My favorite tracks are the title track, One and the Same, Sound of a Gun, The Shape of Things to Come, Jewel of the Summertime, and Moth. I won't bore with a analysis of each track, but they are all very well done, very polished and sound great. I had high expectations for this album, and Revelations far away exceeded them, and thats no easy task.

It seems to me that so far the reaction for this album is mixed. My advice is to give it a honest listen. If your not a Audioslave fan already, I doubt this album will win you over. But if you are a Audioslave fan, this album has tremendous amount to offer. This will be a album that fans will remember for years to come. We just might have Audioslave's greatest achievement and defining album, but only time will tell.
on January 19, 2007
After Audioslaves debut the thought to me was "How do you top that"? Then the "Sophomore Jinx" bit hard on "Out of Exile" which fell way short of expectations for me. Allot of the "Rage" was lost and it didn't have a clear direction, kind of boring. Now if you said the third album "Revelations" still didn't get back to it's "Raging Roots" but was as good as the debut. Well I'd say your nuts!! Well I guess I'm nuts. The direction has changed again but I think Audioslave has come into a style all their own now. The music here is fresh and has a funky vibe mixed with some good grooves. As always some great guitar work. It starts w/ a great rocker the self-titled track. The up and down transitions of track 3. Sound of a Gun. Then the radio friendly track 4. Until We Fall. The upbeat track 5. Original Fire. The funky vibe really starts kicking in with a killer tune, 7. Somedays! That leads into another great rocker, very Soundgarden-ish 8. Shape of Things to Come. Track 9. Jewel of The Summertime, has a funky/bluesy vibe with an absolute killer grove. Then track 12. Moth blows you away. It starts slow then hits you hard and adds many layers to it. That's one thing I can say about this release, it has many layers to it. It grabs you and keeps you interested from beginning to end! Great production songwriting and musicianship all the way around. Great job guys!
on January 15, 2007
The first two albums...had their moments. Still, when I go back and listen to the first one, it is harsh. There was CC on the one hand, and I love his voice, and RATM on the other, pressed together like a sandwich in which you had to like the two parts to like the whole, but this one is smooth. Revelations is powerful, and with four exceptional songs, I consider it a classic. Nothing sounds forced on this album. The first two tracks are amazing, and then again Somedays and Shape of Things both pick up the best of RATM's jams and CC's voice. Mature, wonderful, classic.
on September 7, 2006
This is another solid album from Audioslave. After a few spins I think this is actually better than their previous album 'Out Of Exile', which is Kind of ironic seeing as that album took 3 years and this album only took 1...

This album is definitely the funkiest album they have done, some real grooves going on, especially in 'Jewel Of the Summertime' and 'Broken City'. Some people have complained this album isn't heavy enough, and although their debut is heavier, this album is by no means a soft album. It's a surprising complaint to make because this album is heavier than 'Out of Exile' just not as fast. Some monster riffs can be found, most notably in 'Sound of A Gun' and 'Moth'...

...Aah yes; 'Moth', and what a track that is! 'Moth' is the standout track on this album, it is the 'Bring Em Back Alive' of their debut, the '#1 Zero' of 'Out Of Exile', it is something special. It has more emotional delivery in the vocals, epic guitars and a great structure. Interestingly enough it doesn't have a Morello solo, but I didn't even notice until the 5th or 6th time I listened to that track. Over favourites of mine are 'Jewel Of The Summertime' which is a really funky trip. When I first read the title I thought it would be another 'Dandelion', but it was a very nice surprise. I also love 'One And The Same' which combines Audioslave's heavy riffs and funkier sound to great effect. I think perhaps the title track would have made a better choice as first single, not that 'Original Fire' is a bad choice.

However this album also contains possibly the worst Audioslave song they have ever put out; 'Somedays'. An embarrassing song which gets old before you've even got to the end of it once. It sounds like something a big hair metal band of the 80's would do, oh well...

Overall the band seem tighter, the band are even providing backing vocals on several tracks, which works surprisingly well. The bass has more emphasis on this album, probably due to the fact that they wanted a funkier sound. It's another very well produced album despite Rick Rubin not being involved this time. I would have given this album 4 and a half stars, second place behind their debut with 5 stars, and 'Out Of Exile' 4 stars.

In an industry where these days albums are often taking 3, 4, 5 + years to come out, this is quite amazing considering it only took them 1 year to bring this out. Well done, it's much appreciated. I just hope you continue to make some of the best hard rock music out there. I hear Cornell may be doing another solo album next, let's hope and pray Audioslave will be back at some point in the future. Until then I won't fly around your fire anymore...
on September 6, 2006
Out of Exile was a disappointment to me and I wondered if it would be the end of Audioslave. I was happily proved wrong yesterday with the release of Revelations. This album ROCKS HARD! Lots of hooks, catchy head bobbin' rhythms, good if not semi great lyrics, and at least 3 hit bound tracks make this a GREAT Audioslave record. They are sounding less and less like RATM with every release and that is a good and bad thing. I really liked RATM's sound, heavier and angrier than Audioslave. Revelations is less heavy and angry but cathcy and tuneful in a pop sort of way. More FM radio friendly if you will. They still have an edge thanks mostly to Tom's guitar chops. If you liked the 1st Audioslave record, you will dig this one as well.

Why can't I buy a disc with THE WHIP on it? Why, why, why? Peace Out!
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 11, 2006
Wow, this is painful to do. First of all I don't write reviews, not my thing, generally speaking. But I feel it is important to write (or warn) when it has importance.

I have to first say that Rage Against the Machine is my all-time Favorite band and while this was very much due to their musical talent it was also greatly due to the amazing politics they brought into the mainstream and I miss them more than I can ever express.

Secondly, I am in my late thirties, born and raised in good old Seattle who was barely of drinking age when bands like Soundgarden, Mudhoney, Nirvana, Alice in Chains and many other greats were playing the clubs in Seattle before the big breakout of Nirvan's Nevermind. And while I love the great music of Seattle and those outise Seattle but of this era such as Jane's Addiction, Smashing Pumpkins and Sublime. I cannot deny the fact that Chris Cornell is arguably the best male rock SINGER of my generation, the man has a voice that is golden. I love the man as poet and musical talent, my favorite ALBUM from Seattle in the early 90's was BadMotorFinger, hands-down.

So how did I feel when these two forces collided? At first I was ecstatic to hear the rumors were true, then tentative to hear no politics but still ready and open-minded. I bought the debut greedily and listened to it many times recommending it to everyone I knew and met, great album! One of the best rock albums I have ever heard, musically speaking. I saw the boyz live at the Paramount and what a great show! Not as good as Rage live but still a show I will never forget.

I will admit I have bad feelings about TC destroying RAGE and about Audioslave being a mainstream rock band in almost EVERY sense of the word but their first album was still an amazing piece and put many of my concerns to rest. Then came their sophomore release (usually the killer, right?) but still a pretty good album. Easier to listen to, maybe even a bit more mainstream but a real showcase of talent for all concerned and I felt no need for concern or alarm.

Revelations? I really don't know what to say. I can't trash guys who I have such great respect for (except TC who I have not problems trashing) but needless to say I hope this album flops otherwise I am afraid that the rest of Audioslave's career will be about making mediocre mainstream rock that will soon be on par with Van Haggar. I know these guys are MUCH better than this album and there are some moments of dim-greatness but all this talk of FUNK influence is crap (and yes I know funk), the bottom line is that it is more watered down than ever before and I hope that they get back to their roots on the next one. I know we are all getting older but does that mean we are settling for mediocracy?

Bottom line; Audioslave is still better than most bands around today but this is not the Audioslave I was just starting to know and love. If you pick-up this album up, do so knowing you are getting a nice fat dose of Audioslave-lite. My recommendation is borrow it from you buddy and listen to it several times or just burn it. I hate to suggest taking money out of these guys pockets (especially Tom and Brad who I have tremendous respect for and I know use much of their money supporting progressive causes) but if people don't buy it maybe they will get the message and get back to what they do best, ROCK!

Tom, Brad, Chris I hope I do regret writing this someday and eventually hear something I am not hearing now after about 10 listens and REALLY WANTING TO LOVE IT. I gave it 3 stars because it is Audioslave, any other band would have rated lower.

SIDE NOTE: It has been over a year and I don't regret writing this review! If anything I was generous and kind to a group of musicians I greatly love and respect for all their amazing contributions. The band has long since disbanded, relatively speaking, and RAGE is back in full effect which is amazing...I hope they are working on a new album as we speak. Chris put out a decent solo album but aside from Soundgarden, Audioslave's Debut and his first solo album he is not the great producer of songs he has been all these years. The Robert Plant of my generation, the VOICE, I love your amazing pipes and hope you will put out some great music in the future as you deserve to prolong an amazing legacy and your fans are here for you brother! As far as "Revelations" is concerned I have not listened to it once since I wrote this review and really have no desire to.

I do regret one point and that is that while the strain between Zach and Tim was most likely the breaking point of RAGE these guys have been friends a long time and friends don't always see eye to eye and being in a band together can be a real strain on even the best of friendships. Timmy and Zack made their peace and realized a greater cause and came together so if I do regret anything in this review it was my harshness of TC. Rage on in struggle Zack, Tom, Tim and Brad!

Oh and If you haven't heard Tom made a solo album under the name "the Nightwatchman" that is 5 stars and awesome...more folk and definitely not reminiscent of RAGE or Audioslave but an great album for any lover of good music with politics in the mix. Tom plays acoustic guitar and sings very impressively, check it out!

SECOND UPDATE: Tom put out his second album under the amended name "Tom Morello: The Nightwatchman" and Chris put out another solo album with producer Timbaland (did I spell that right?). This is the guy who produces Justin Timberlake! It is musically pretty heavy on the electronics but really a great album and worth checking out. Tom's second solo album is quite good but I still like his first the best for the two, the new one is more polished and incorporates a band while the first is more one-man folk and is unpolished and truly impressive. Zack of Rage did an EP called "One Day as a Lion" with Jon Thoedore of Mars Volta fame that is pretty heavy, kind of Rage-like in it's sound and to some degree socially (5 awesome songs).
on September 6, 2006
I do not expect anything but change from Cornell and the boys. If you want the same album every time, you don't know Cornell very well.

This album is just what was called for. They have needed to put some distance from their previous incarnations.

You can't have Rage or Soundgarden anymore, so quit your cryin.

If you were looking for the one great album for the ages, Chris already wrote his masterpiece.

It is possible for the rest to contribute masterpiece calibre. However, they have to move further from their comfort zones to do so.

Timmy C is getting there real fast. By far the bright light on this album.

At last they put Brad where he can't annoy me. Deep in the mix. He does do some good stuff this time though...

Tom is less out of place and some riffs are great.

Cornell continues to make appropriate and interesting vocal choices. Unfortunately there appear to be some chinks in the armor. But, he's 42 what can we keep asking from him?

True, One and the Same and Until We Fall are mellow and somehow don't keep up with the rest. Broken City may be a bit too off and funky to get into for a while. Who knows what they were thinking with Original Fire (but you like it and you know it).

Revelations: Sorry to those of you who don't like Pop music (I'm not talking top 40). This song is just that. Shoulda been the single.

Sound of a Gun: The groove hurts. I only want to know if Timmy asked Carrie Akre if he could borrow that bass line.

Somedays: I thought, what?, until I got through the intro. Very odd and catchy at the same time.

Shape of things to Come: lets say I hope so. This song is as great as #1 Zero. Finally they find something out of the box for Tom to do. I love the mellow guitar melody.

Jewel: More funk and I dig it.

Wide Awake: -two words- Timmy C. Oddly, it sort of falls apart at the chorus. The rest however...

Nothing Left: Probably the weakest song on the album. I like the guitar at the end, and how it fades in to

Moth: This song has it's own thread for a reason. The whole package. Belongs with Gasoline, #1 Zero, Shape of THings to Come.

The only thing that keeps Revelations from greatness: Too friggin short.

As a whole, all things considered, this out-does the debut and Exile.

Hear me now, and believe me later.
on September 5, 2006
If you can really call it a return. They've hardly been gone for a year and have put out another quality album. One of the things that I most admore about Audioslave is that they don't grow to repetitive (to quote previous reviewers) CD to CD. They manage to mix it up while maintaing some quality that is similar. They've done it this time as well. When you listen to the album, you get a sense of, for lack of a better term, oldness, of something classic.

Each song has something to offer as well. The title track gives us some vaocal effects and sweet harmonies, along with an interesting solo. Original Fire (the first single) has both a mastered combination of bass, guitar and drums, and some pretty nice lyrics. Broken City is reminiscent of Doesn't Remind Me and Somedays is one of my personal favorites. Shape of Things To Come and Jewel of The Summertime are both pretty catchy. And one of my favorite songs on the album, Wide Awake, (due partially to the sick bass line in it) is one of the band's few political songs.

One thing I would like to address to both Rage and Soundgarden fans is that your enthusiasm for one or both bands, is not only admirable, but relieving. Unfortunatly alot of Rage/Soundgarden and even new Audioslave fans' favorite album from Audioslave is their self-titled debut and don't care for Out of Exile or Revelations. Because of this I'd like to advise you that Out of Exile and Revelations are probably their more permanent sound. I believe that Audioslave (the album) was an oddity of the band (a rather enjoyable one) that was due to their new formation. Don't get your hopes up for a new album that sounds like Audioslave. I myself would love to be proved wrong, but I enjoy the other albums just as much as Audioslave and wouldn't care either way.

That said, you may be wondering "Why only 4 stars?" To that I would reply that, along with the other two albums, there is one vital piece that is missing form the band that would make them truly epic. I hope they find it soon, but until then I'll keep listening (and after that too).
on September 7, 2006
The fifth track on this album, entitled "Original Fire," finds singer Chris Cornell wailing lyrics like "The original fire has died and gone/But the riot inside moves." One can't help but wonder if Cornell is referencing his band here, and is suggesting that the inspirational spark has been extinguished. In 2001, after his first band (the seminal, hugely popular Seattle rock group known as Soundgarden) split up, Chris joined forces with three members of Rage Against The Machine (the instrumentalists-guitarist Tom Morello, bassist Tim Commerford, and drummer Brad Wilk) to form a band called Audioslave and record the group's debut. Now, five years and millions of records later, Audioslave are, hands down, rock's best and most powerful active supergroup, and one of the biggest forces to be reckoned with in music today.

If this is what it sounds like when the "fire has died," then one can only guess what it would be like if it were still alive (the music would probably be wild and out of control). All four members sound as strong and committed as they ever have, making "Revelations" a more energetic, organic-sounding, and harder-rocking effort than the band's past disc, last year's "Out Of Exile." Morello's exciting six-string acrobatics (i.e. trippy, synthesizer-esque sound effects and emphatic, wailing solos) help contribute a great deal to the record's convincing funk vibe. And Cornell, who delivers his vocal parts with a lot of care and soul, only furthers his status as a great singer. Cornell might be hinting at retirement, but on "Revelations," Audioslave prove these guys clearly still have a lot of fire left in them.

Audioslave specialize in controlled intensity. Every song on here frequently sounds like it's just seconds away from exploding and skyrocketing in volume. Guitarist Tom Morello is more-or-less the band's backbone because he bolsters the rhythms so strongly, it's seemingly up to him to decide how heavy the song should get. For instance, a song might begin as a ballad, but no one knows if or when Tom is going to mix things up by unleashing a hefty, bullying riff. Thus, Audioslave's sound is very dynamic, unpredictable, and keeps the listener interested. Plus, the above-mentioned restraint is a blessing because it helps the band distance itself from RATM comparisons. But, as was the case with "Out Of Exile," a couple of these songs don't fully detonate. This is a negative quality because the listener is sometimes (though very rarely) left wanting something more from an ending (like a bigger, more memorable climax). Luckily, Morello's rejuvenated guitar work adds a substantial amount of punch and/or crunch to every song, so "Revelations" never becomes bloated, plodding, or uninspired.

Not all of the songs are great, but none of them are remotely bad, either. Even the fairly conventional parts and tracks which sound too much like stereotypical Audioslave are very decent and tolerable. On opener "Revelations," Cornell's crooning voice floats effortlessly over a semi-heavy, staccato rhythm and an oh-so-catchy riff. The extra funky "One And The Same" is the first "feel-good" song you encounter ("Somedays" and "Jewel Of The Summertime" follow suit later on). It begins with superbly rhythmic, wah-wah guitar licks before breaking for Tom to lay down a bubbly, melodic, fairly long solo over gluey, humming bass notes. Even with a propulsive bass line and a crazy guitar solo near the end, "Sound Of A Gun" is a very laid back track, and "Until We Fall" is even more mellow. But following that, the next two songs, "Original Fire" (which includes an unexpected hand clap pattern), and "Broken City" (which is highlighted by staccato, skipping hooks and sweet, limpid singing) are both up-tempo and help to bring the mood back up again.

"Shape Of Things To Come" is another glowing standout because it offsets melodic, dwindling strings in the verses with chunky, guitar-driven choruses. Unfortunately, two tracks later, "Wide Awake" slows down the album's momentum significantly (despite an impressive, lung-stretching performance by Cornell), and "Nothing Left To Say But Goodbye" all but kills it. But all is well that ends well: the surprisingly explosive "Moth," which is fueled by a simple yet momentous, massive, and relentless stair-step riff, delivers a perfect, much-needed energy boost, and makes sure the album ends on a strong, memorable note.

Chris Cornell is currently busy writing songs for a solo project, meaning Audioslave have no foreseeable plans to tour, and thus, the band's future together remains somewhat unclear. But you can either waste time worrying about what tomorrow holds, or put those fears to rest (at least for now), and spend that time jamming to this C.D.! "Revelations" is a very good and entirely solid effort which makes for many enjoyable, infectious listens. All Audioslave fans (especially those who favored the debut over "Out Of Exile"), and all fans of the band's individual members should readily add this to their collection.
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 8, 2006
This is a solid record from start to finish. I don't understand how people can criticize this for not being "heavy." Listen to "Moth," "Revelations," "Sound of a Gun," and "Shape of Things to Come" for a small sample of some killer riffs and great choruses.

Revelations is possibly Audioslave's best album.

Their debut contains more classics and Out of Exile is definitely a solid album, but there were a few songs on both that I just don't listen to that often. With Revelations, I can start it and let it spin without feeling the urge to skip a few tracks.

And yes, it's just as heavy as their first two. What's wrong with a song like "Broken City" ??? Critics of this band (particularly this album) act as if they've never heard "Getaway Car" or "I Am the Highway" or "Heaven's Dead" or "Doesn't Remind Me."

This band has been experimenting with their own bluesier, softer side of hard rock since their creation.