Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on April 22, 2014
First off, this is a plastic model that you have to put together....with glue...and paint..which do not come with the model. The model does not run by itself on little tracks. You do not give this to a five year old to play with. If it sounds like I'm stating the obvious, then read the other reviews. They gave bad reviews because of these reasons. Amazing.
Now for the model. The joy in this, for me at least, is putting it together and painting it. Maybe doing a little research on Pinterest or Google images helps with getting the colors correct. Take your time and you will end up with a very nice model of Big Boy. UP is getting ready to bring one of these back to life in the next few years and interest is rising. Just don't give it to your five yr old and then write a bad review because he broke it. Still can't get over that one.
on November 17, 2015
Great looking model, minus a few details as noted in previous reviews. I'm an HO train enthusiast and bought this because I didn't want to spend $500 for a working model. It looks great on the tracks of my 12' x 6' layout.

The model went together well. Most of the instructions were accurate (the tender's linkage pin is depicted upside down in figures 38 and 40). To begin, I shot every part with flat black plastic spray paint. I painted the wheel rims, firebox, smoke box, headlight, linkage rods, cosmetic lines, and a couple handrails with metallic silver. I painted the bell with metallic gold. I painted the control valves and tender taillight red. Final assembly went fast using quick setting thick CA. Finally, I applied the decals.

In closing, this is a great looking, easy to assemble display model.
review image review image
on May 14, 2012
This model of a Big Boy locomotive is quite detailed with a lot of parts. I bought this for my friend so he and his son can have some quality time together. This should be much more interesting than a video game.
on December 30, 2010
My nephew enjoyed constructing this model train. It wasn't something he could easily throw together. It took dexterity and lots of brain power and he was well gratified with the results.
on April 12, 2015
My husband is working on this kit of the longest locomotive ever built in the U.S.A......the Big Boy!! He wanted a diecast of this model but they were too rich for his blood so he chose this kit. His eyes and fingers do not work as good as they did when he was in his teens and twenties and he made some mistakes that frustrated him but he did his best and continued on. He enjoys working with his hands and concentrating on things like this to keep his mind off of the Vietnam War that will haunt him until the day the Good Lord calls him home!! God Bless all of our Veterans!!
on October 1, 2010
the product came in a new condition, still wrapped in the plastic. my husband had a blast putting the model together and displays it at his place of employment.
on May 9, 2013
He was not sure about putting it together at first but after starting, he couldn't quit. He finished in just under 5 hours! He is almost 15, so do the math. It is a level 3 item with some gluing. Have a good work surface and good lighting and your good to go!
on January 12, 2016
Awesome ! Like any other great model, you have to trim the parts, glue them together and paint the details. But when it is done, it looks magnificent sitting on my model rail road siding. An enjoyable winter project build kit. Take your time, and you can find color patterns on the web to detail paint it. 5-Stars
on May 6, 2014
Assembly is fairly easy. Painted or not, it looks great on a shelf sitting on a few lengths of standard snap HO track. Don't expect Rivarossi level of detail, however.
on February 17, 2015
This was a great model to build. A lot of moving parts. I normally don't paint my models, but his time I took the time too paint everything by the instructions, by the picture on the box and pictures I have. I'm a model railroader in HO scale, but cannot afford the real die cast engine with DCC and sound, about $400.00. This is a great model to buy!!!!