Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Michael Connelly brings together criminal defense attorney Michael (Mickey) Haller and his half-brother, the cynical and battle-scarred LAPD Detective Harry Bosch, in "The Reversal." Mickey calls himself "the defender of the damned," a job he has had for over twenty years. "During that time," he states, "I'd grown a suspicion and distrust of prosecutors and police...." Still, the L. A. District Attorney convinces Mickey to go over to the dark side as an independent special prosecutor in the second trial of Jason Jessup. The defendant has already spent twenty-four years in San Quentin for abducting and strangling twelve-year-old Melissa Landy. Over the last two decades, Jessup filed numerous motions and appeals while steadfastly proclaiming his innocence. Much to his delight, the California Supreme Court reversed his conviction and sent the case back to Los Angeles County "for either retrial or dismissal of the charges." Against his better judgment, Mickey agrees to take the case, partly because it will give him an opportunity to work with his ex-wife, deputy district attorney Maggie McPherson, and Harry Bosch, who will be their investigator.

Jessup has a groundswell of support from the liberal media and an organization of lawyers known as the Genetic Justice Project. Although the physical evidence against Jessup may be a bit shaky, Melissa's sister, Sarah, who was thirteen when the murder occurred, vehemently stands by her eyewitness identification of Jessup as Melissa's abductor. However, Sarah has a history of drug abuse and run-ins with the law which the defense will undoubtedly exploit in an attempt to discredit her.

This is one of Connelly's most suspenseful and involving legal thrillers in years. It has incisive and realistic dialogue, compelling courtroom scenes, well-drawn characters, and a carefully constructed plot. Fascinating details about surveillance, trial strategy, forensics, and police procedure add to the book's verisimilitude. The only false note is that when Mickey is on the scene, he is the first-person narrator, but otherwise, Connelly writes in the third person. This is slightly jarring; Connelly might have been better off sticking to the third person throughout, especially since Haller, McPherson, and Bosch all share the spotlight. Another familiar face is FBI profiler Rachel Walling, who makes a strong cameo appearance when Bosch requests her analysis of Jessup's behavior. Harry stands out as the person most invested in nailing Jessup, partly because Harry has sole responsibility for his fourteen-year-old daughter whom he adores, and partly because he has worked tirelessly on hundreds of homicides during his thirty-five year career as a cop. He is passionate about finding the bad guys and putting them away so that they cannot do any more damage.

In "The Reversal," the author effectively shows how politics and public opinion influence the legal process; how the stress of trying a high-profile case can lead to mistakes in judgment; and the importance of always being prepared for the unexpected. Readers who crave a feel-good ending may balk at the novel's disquieting finale. Others may find Connelly's conclusion thought-provoking, daring, and original. It certainly demonstrates the ways in which life's vicissitudes and the capriciousness of fate can undermine the search for truth and pervert the course of justice.
1111 comments|279 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 5, 2010
I like Michael Connolly's writing. Detective Harry Bosch is among the leading characters of the genre, having been developed over the course of many novels; however, in Reversal, Bosch becomes part of an ensemble cast, his becomes a supporting role. Reversal's protagonist is Mickey Haller, a veteran of two prior books--a character not yet nearly as completely drawn and therefore lacking the complexity of Detective Bosch. The story of the re-trial of a child murderer, the reversal of whose conviction gives its name to the tale, Reversal has as much to say about the importance of good police work as the nature of justice as served by our legal system.

This is a legal fantasy novel. Sure, the author has researched his stuff and he is (largely) correct on the procedure but it comes together in a way that only happens in fiction. No explanations here because that would spoil the read, however, I note that Connolly anticipates incredulity by offering it up through other characters in the story. Law lends itself to fiction because it allows for a life and death drama to be played out in a systematic fashion--most of us have been jurors, after all. Being a lawyer, albeit a civil lawyer, perhaps I am only noticing that which has been apparent to police detectives throughout the Bosch series--real life is never so neatly resolved. Reversal represents a confluence of a number of rare events, a combination of events not often encountered in the singular much less the plurality evident in this story. But I cannot blame the author for introducing fantastic elements because the twists and turns of actual litigation are often far less believable than the plot created by an imaginative author; you can't fault Connolly for coming up with a fantastic story because, for example, who would believe the OJ story if we hadn't lived through it.

Connolly refrains, thankfully, from the moral ambiguity that is the hallmark of other authors. His is still a world of honest cops and ethical lawyers--though his characters are aware of and note the boundaries of ethics, Connolly's drama is played out by what happens to the ostensible bad guy and our author does not spare characters who cross ethical lines from the consequences of their actions.

I enjoyed Reversal, reading it was time well spent with an author now so skilled that he can make serious effort look easy. The only problem is that one must judge Reversal against other Connolly books and because so much effort has been put into developing Harry Bosch's character, Haller's journey does not yet produce as much interest. The characters in this book do not really have quite the same internal struggles as in Connolly's other novels--but this is merely a quibble because Haller is a newer character lacking the backstory of Bosch. The book was worth every penny, a good read by a fine author.
22 comments|96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 12, 2010
Probably like most of us as we get older and have a family, Harry Bosch is slowing down. Michael Connolly certainly is. This story is long on procedure and short on mystery. Harry, his half-brother, his half-brother's ex-wife, and the two daughters just don't have the edginess of the early characters. This story is very predictable and lacks complexity. Unpredictability and complexity is what made the earlier books so much fun. I think Mr. Connolly should consider putting out books as he crafts a good story vs. once a year according to his publisher's schedule. Having said that, I will admit that it was hard to put down. On the other hand, most of Connolly's early work was impossible to put down. My advice - wait for the paperback or check it out from the library.
55 comments|101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon October 5, 2010
The Reversal brings together Mickey Haller, erstwhile defense attorney (Brass Verdict, Lincoln Lawyer) with long time Connelly hero LAPD detective Harry Bosch. The men are half brothers but uncomfortable allies in this thriller. Haller, a fairly brash and arrogant character in earlier novels has grown psychologically and hence crosses over to the district attorney's side to prosecute a child murderer who is being released from prison after 24 years. His release is based on a new DNA finding. Bosch is in a supporting role as his investigator though he is almost a co-lead in this story. Also playing a supporting role is Haller's ex-wife Maggie McPherson as a prosecuting attorney assisting Haller in this case. One of the things I like so well about the Connelly novels is the way he develops and continually expands our knowledge of his characters; when he intermingles them in novels that only adds to the fun.
The story, replete with the expected twists and turns is a convincing police/legal procedural, certainly up to the standard we have come to expect from Connelly. The action is fast paced and I think tempts the reader to stay up half the night finishing this story. There were two items that prevented me from giving this story five stars. One I struggled with the change in voice. When Haller spoke it was in the first person, when Bosch was the key character it was described in the third person. This might have worked if Bosch was not so frequently present in the story, but for me it was confusing and took some getting used to as the action moved along. The second problem for me was the ending, it was without drama. I won't give away the ending but I bet you guess what happens fairly quickly. There was lots of psychological baggage and moral ambiguity picked up by both Haller and Bosch that I am sure will reappear in future novels. Definitely a solid effort from Connelly!
on October 20, 2010
I don't see where all the praise for "The Reversal" is coming from. I've read all of Connelly's books in the series and this one is easily the worst. As a suspense/mystery novel I'm trying to find where these elements exist in the story line. There are no twists in the plot and I kept wondering what was going to happen to shake things up but you get nothing. The ending was very anti-climactic with a hint that something was about to happen but then the book ends and that's it.

You can easily skip this book and not miss anything in the development of the characters. My recommendation is that if you still insist on reading it then save your money and check it out from the library.
99 comments|60 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 15, 2010
There are thousands of terrible books written every year. Yet, even after all this time, it always bothers me when a talented author succumbs to the siren call of mediocrity and starts churning out poor prose. I am aware of the financial pressures on authors, and I am well aware that good writing is not rewarded any more, but you know what? It still bothers me every time.

Whether it's Stephen King, descending from Salem's Lot to reach the depths of Under the Dome; Michael Crichton, whose crisp writing in Andromeda Strain was nowhere evident in his later novels; William Gibson, whose work represents a steep but steady decline since Neuromancer; even Ishiguro, whose latest work was unreadable next to Remains of the Day - all these annoy me.

Now Connelly joins the crowd. While The Lincoln Lawyer was tightly written and suspensefully plotted, this latest Mickey Haller novel is awful. It's terrible in so many ways, that I am not sure where to start, but here goes.

(1) The writing. The prose style is pitched carefully at a sixth-grade reading level, albeit interspersed with a tremendous stream of profanity. It's extremely boring to read, full of simplistic word choices, dull syntax; it mainly comprises insipid dialog in fact.

(2) The plot. The plot is just a bunch of cliches from police procedurals strung together. I do not want to be accused of spoiling the plot, such as it is, so I do not want to adduce examples, but there are a ridiculous number of cliches. Basically most every plot point comes from some bad movie or TV show. In Lincoln Lawyer, I sensed the author knew something about how law was actually practiced; here, I just sense the author has watched a lot of movies about the police.

(3) The characters. The most annoying thing about this book is that it eviscerates the character of Haller. Rather than being a reflective, intelligent attorney who peers beneath the surface of things as in the earlier books, Haller is portayed as a simple-minded bully. If Connelly must write a bad book, why can't he at least use new characters? Why ruin good characters?

In conclusion, there is nothing to recommend about this book.
33 comments|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 13, 2010
I agree with all the # 3 and lower ratings. I loved Bosch and Haller - just not together. This was just a revolving door of previously excellent characters just popping in and out at random. All were shadows of their former selves - just one dimensional at best. While plots are important it's the character development that I enjoy the most and this was very deficient in that area. I've read all the Bosch books, The Lincoln Lawyer and The Brass Verdict, all which I loved. This falls so far short of any of the others I'm just mystified about the positive reviews. I think most of those reviewers might actually make it in Hollywood as screenwriters. The reviews were very diagnostic and thoughtful, but to get that much meat out of vegetarian fare requires no small amount of literary talent.

This reminds me of the next to last John Sanford/Lucas Davenport book where he let his son either help him write it or edit it - just a disaster. Fortunately it only took him one book to figure out that it didn't work. Ditto the Robert K. Tanenbaum/Butch Karp books written with ghost writer Michael Gruber. They apparently stopped writing together and Tanenbaum wrote the next book, Hoax, by himself. I never bought another of his books after that - they were that bad. However, I did buy some Michael Gruber books. I hope Connelly reverts to his normal method with his next book, although with the encouragement of the rave reviews I might have to cross him off too.
on October 30, 2010
I was going to download this to my Sony Reader, but I wasn't about to pay $14.99, so I got it from the library. I'm glad I did. I have read all of Connelly's books and this one was disappointing. The story was too heavy on the courtroom scene and he can't tell a courtroom drama like John Grisham. It seemed at the end that Connelly remembered that Harry Bosch was in this one and turned it into a detective story.

The story never grabbed you and made you want to read more, like his other books. I hope he isn't going the way of other writers, like Stuart Woods, and just popping out a book a year to make the deadline on his contract.
on August 12, 2013
This was a book that hit hard, I have a friend who was working as a consultant on a case in Detroit. It's about the disaperence of a 2 yr. old little girl Biancia Jones, her father is accused of being involed in it. It's a very sad, scary, and unthinkable thing. I honestly thing it's every parents nightmare there child Kidnaped,not knowing if they are coming back..

This book was a great follow up to the Mickey Haller/Harry Bosch series. But it was a hard thing to hear after so much going on in real life here im own backyard! I love that all of these books have a real-life, this could be real, believable story plot, I just am being a baby because I think children should NEVER BE HARMED,...

I read alot of review and some thought Connley left out Haller's wit, but I thought he was great, him, Bosch, Maggie (Mcfrierce) McPherson were all great, like able characters and I can't wait to start the next book!!!!
on April 15, 2011
Reversal #1: A 24 year old conviction for child molestation and murder is reversed based on new DNA evidence. Reversal #2: Criminal Defense Attorney Mickey "The Lincoln Lawyer" Haller is appointed Special Independent Prosecutor to handle the re-trial. The fun begins. Haller selects his half brother, LAPD Det. Harry Bosch, and his (Haller's) L.A. County Assistant District Attorney X wife to be on his team. Connelly takes us through the pre-trial, the trial and the unexpected, at least by me, ending, one step at a time, in a way that makes you want to learn "what happens next?"

Others have commented at length on the story, so let me comment on how Connelly tells his story. First, he has an interesting story to tell. No two ways about it. I was pretty quickly hooked, and always wanted to learn more. Second, he tells his interesting story in a credible way. I have been a practicing courtroom lawyer for a long time and had no trouble suspending disbelief and getting into this book. I often have trouble suspending disbelief when I read "lawyer stories", because they contain plot lines and actions that would never happen in a million years, and characters that would never come along in 250 years. No such problems with this book. Third, Connelly carefully builds his story one credible layer at a time. He never just slops a bunch of stuff on a page as some authors do, perhaps because they have written themselves into a corner. He builds each chaper one credible layer of information at a time, and his chapters are built one upon the next. Fourth, without detracting at all from his story, he raises some serious issues about the legal system.

The result is a very good book. Interesting, believable, fun to read and when I was done, I immediately started Connelly's newest book.