5.0 out of 5 stars Reversing Diabetes- through approach
"Reversing Diabetes" by Don Colbert, MD

Published on March 18, 2012 by mamaof4

3.0 out of 5 stars Learning about diabetes
Reversing Diabetes by Don Colbert, M.D.

Published on April 13, 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Learning about diabetes, April 13, 2012
This review is from: Reversing Diabetes: Discover the Natural Way to Take Control of Type 2 Diabetes (Paperback)
Reversing Diabetes by Don Colbert, M.D.

I requested this book because the cover said, "Discover the natural way to take control of type 2 diabetes..." While I am sure some readers will pick up this book, believe they have found some help in controlling their diabetes and be very happy and satisfied with what they are learning, I am not one of them. I was looking for a book that would give the reader some practical, day to day help. I didn't find much of this.

I was also disappointed when the author began promoting nutritional supplements available through his website and that are not readily available in all areas. I am not questioning the value of the nutritional supplements Dr. Colbert refers to and am sure his patients have found them a great help in getting control of their type 2 diabetes.

While there is a lot of good information in Reversing Diabetes, there is also a lot of information that was above my head. I got lost in the technical side of things. I could care less about reading some of the facts that are interspersed through the book when I am looking for something that is easy to read and can give me suggestions that will improve my health.

There are recipes and menus for the Rapid Waist Reduction Diet that would work for an individual, but would mean cooking a separate meal for the rest of a family. Some of the foods mentioned would also exceed some family budgets. More helpful were the lists of approved foods for the two phases of the Diet. There were also tips for eating out and grocery shopping that were also informative and well as useful.

I received this book for free from Charisma House for this review. The opinions expressed are solely mine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reversing Diabetes- through approach, March 18, 2012
"Reversing Diabetes" by Don Colbert, MD

Dr. Colbert has compiled so much information about type 2 diabetes and published it in a very readable book. Many people have type 2 or may develop it as they age. Type 2 can often be controlled by a change in lifestyle including diet and activity level. This book starts with a complete discussion of diabetes and its causes. This is followed by lengthy chapters about food and how it affects the body and diabetes. And finally Dr. Colbert concludes with his Rapid Waist Reduction Diet.

Through out the book there are sidebars with tid bits of information that supports the main body of text. He sprinkles in personal stories of people who have conquered their type 2 issues. These are quite encouraging.

The Rapid Waist Reduction Diet is quite complicated and very restrictive. This diet would not be easy to cook with foods in most people's panty, it would take special shopping and cooking. When cooking for a large family (like I have) this would be a bit of a challenge, as the diet is not adequate for growing children or athletes, both of which live in my house. And some of the recipes do not very appetizing to me, but some of the others look pretty good. And part of the weight reduction program includes using hcG- known as the pregnancy hormone. There is relatively little discussion of this component of the diet routine, although it appears to be a major component.

Conclusions: I do not have type 2 diabetes, so I was not overly compelled to adopt this approach, but I read the book with the mindset that I did need to address the type 2 issue. The book had a lot of information! It would be a good book to read when starting to navigate the type 2 journey. I would also read other books to get another opinion of methods of treatment and lifestyle. I thought the discussion of activity (author does not like the word exercise) was a bit slim, but it was addressed well.

Disclaimer: Charisma House provided me a copy of this book to review. All opinions expressed are my own.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reversing Diabetes by Don Colbert, December 27, 2012
I found it to be very readable and informative. The information on chronic stress and adrenal fatigue, allergies and inflammation were of particular interest to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Lose the Battle Against Diabetes, April 9, 2012
In Reversing Diabetes, Don Colbert revealed the epidemic concerning the growing number of patients diagnosed with diabetes. He shared the following statistics from the 2011 CDC report, "nearly twenty-six million people have diabetes, or 8.3 percent of the US population" (Page 11). Diabetes has increased rapidly because of the chemicals that are being produced in our foods. Another reason is our society is becoming inactive and not doing any activities that promote good health. The book will teach readers what kinds of foods are healthy and what foods that they will need to avoid. He discussed the hidden contributors that lead to obesity and diabetes. The book also contains a meal plan to guide readers in reducing their waist size. Reducing your waist size lowers your chance of getting diabetes and it helps to control diabetes if you already have it.

I don't have diabetes but it runs in my family blood line. I learned a great deal of information about taking steps to prevent getting diabetes. I would recommend this book to everyone because it is an extremely important topic that we all have to stand up against. Diabetes can happen to anyone and the book helped me to see the effects and dangers of consuming all the wrong types of foods. The book suggested starting to drink green tea because it assisted in relieving stress levels and scorching fat! "The EGCG in green tea increases the metabolic rate for as long as twenty-four hours and stimulates the body to burn fat" (Page 121). It also helps decrease your risk of getting diabetes and some cancers! I took the book's advice and have started drinking a few cups a day. I am also started eating healthier foods and working out four days a week. This book is a wonderful guide in becoming healthy and living a long life!

Charisma House has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of information, December 1, 2012
Great read with lots of information....gets down to what really causes diabetes and to cure the problem not the symptoms

5.0 out of 5 stars More like a text book, chock full of information, September 8, 2012
This is a book review from the book titled, "Reversing Diabetes" and written by Don Colbert, MD. First let me say that I do not have diabetes. I did have gestational diabetes and my husband also currently has type 2 diabetes which is where I got the interest to read this particular book.

This is not a book you can just pick up and read in a matter of days. It is a meaty book packed full of information for good health, not just for those with diabetes. It is a book you will want to take the time out to study, meditate upon, and digest fully. In my opinion, the changes to be made spoken of here are not of the type that can be made overnight...having said that...they are changes you will want to incorporate one at a time.

I am not the author...but it is my hope that you will make changes and not just read about doing them. (this is my hope for my own self as well)

I have read other material on managing diabetes using alternative or healthier means...and this book is in alignment with other things I have read, and agree with, on the subject.

I highly recommend this book to not just diabetics and those who love diabetics but for all who are in search of good health and a long life free of disease.

After reading this book I am compelled to check into this particular author's other books.

May the good Lord bless you with good health and a long life!!! IN Jesus name I pray, amen.

I received this book for free from the Charisma book review program in exchange for a book review. I was not required to write a favorable review. Freely I have been given and freely I give.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great info for everyone, not just diabetics!, June 23, 2013
I picked up this book while on vacation and it has changed my eating and lifestyle. I am not diabetic nor overweight but I am surrounded by friends and family who are. This book has great information for everyone. I am a health care provider and I am recommending it to most of my patients and friends who want to be aware of the trend of our diseased population. I am now thinking blood sugar and insulin rather than calories and fad diets. Thank you for compiling so much great information!

4.0 out of 5 stars I found some new information, January 9, 2013
A.. Buyer (Near St.Louis) - See all my reviews
I am a type 2 diabetic, so have read lots of books like this. I did find some useful information in it I did not know. It is well worth the cost. Diabetes is a serious life threatening disease and you need to know more about it than most doctors ever tell you. This book gives you some of that information.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rehashed old information, July 8, 2013
Not worth purchasing if you keep up with the latest research on your own. I think you would be better served to just use Google to figure out how to reverse type II diabetes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Wrong Book ... Alternate Suggested, September 12, 2014
Not the book I wanted. This book focuses on HCG ... this is probably a good option if you are on the verge of body failures. But I really wanted a book that focused on pre-diabetes. Try the book of the same name by Julian Whitaker. Much more healthy approach.

Reversing Diabetes: Discover the Natural Way to Take Control of Type 2 Diabetes